Ainsworth: VOGUE trashes Christmas portrait of First Couple

December 20, 2018

The “progressive” New Yawk-ish elites at VOGUE magazine have done it again.  In the spirit of Christmas, they're running a story headlined “What’s Up With This Year’s Surreal White House Portrait,” slamming not just the Trumps’ official Christmas portrait, but them personally, as a couple.

First, in case you haven’t seen the portrait, let me say that it is beautiful.  The President wears a classic tux, and Melania shimmers in an elegant white dress with high neck and long fitted sleeves.  The background is a hall in the White House lined with traditional pine trees decorated in all-red ornaments and thousands of tiny white lights.  Classic.  It’s really stunning.

If Barack and Michelle had been pictured in exactly the same way, the editors at VOGUE would be falling to their knees in praise and writing epic poems to the portrait’s rapturous beauty.  But with Donald and Melania, they are relentless in their petty, hyper-partisan criticism.

“The optics of the annual holiday photo have a certain surreal quality,” they write (there’s no byline), going on to say that the FLOTUS and POTUS look “almost like cardboard cutouts of themselves.”  And it seems odd to them that the Trumps would be posing with big smiles, considering all the indictments that have taken place this year (never mind that none of them have anything to do with Trump and Russia), and that their “flagrantly fraudulent charity organization” is being dissolved.  Wow.

(I’m sure if this portrait were of Hillary and Bill, the editors at VOGUE would be taking the opportunity to rail about the obvious pay-to-play at the Clinton Global Initiative.  Of course they would.)

They even snark at the President and First Lady holding hands in the portrait, saying that this is “famously out of character for them.”

The editors say they were so disturbed by the portrait that they actually brought in their art experts to better understand why the it felt so “strangely off.”  If they really want to know, I could tell them right now:  it’s because they viscerally hate the President and First Lady.

If the First Couple had NOT been smiling, it would have been, “No wonder they look so grim, with all the indictments coming down.”  If the First Couple had NOT been holding hands, it would have been, “See, they don’t really even like each other.”  Whatever they do will be slammed.

The editors note that this portrait doesn’t have the blood-red trees seen in Melania’s Christmas video; never mind that those were just one part of the overall White House decorating scheme.  No doubt they’ve referenced the red trees just so they have a lead-in to a completely out-of-place remark about “The Handmaid’s Tale.”  “Handmaid’s Tale” references are really getting old.

They wonder why the First Couple look like “wax statues.”  Their resident experts say it’s the lighting, which is “very overdone” and makes it look as though they’re “competing with their decorations.”

The piece goes on with more snarky comments, ending with a reference to “former Trump White House associates falling like snowflakes on a winter day in the Mueller investigation.”  The President and First Lady are trying to keep spirits bright, they say; that’s why this picture is “wildly sunny.”

I am so sick of this kind of garbage.  That’s why I will never, ever subscribe to a magazine that fills its pages with uninformed political tripe, even if they offer to send me a “professional subscription” for a pittance or even for free.  I don’t want to add to their circulation figures, even by one.  The publishing industry is going through a challenging time, to be sure, but I hope if anything has to go, it’s the leftist “bubble” publications targeting women.  “Female empowerment,” my eye; the people who publish these magazines would eagerly dis-empower any woman who opposes them politically.

But I do happen to encounter these magazines at the beauty salon, and since I am there fairly frequently in my eternal quest for loveliness, I see a lot of what is in them.  I look at them in the name of research and am always dismayed by what I see.  During my last visit, I picked up an issue of VOGUE from November, which, of course, came out before the midterms.  I wanted to see what these magazines were saying in the weeks leading up to that election.

The big feature article, entitled “Scenes from a Revolution,” is about Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.  It features an almost two-page spread photo of AO-C, shot by photographer-to-the-stars Annie Leibovitz, who also takes to the streets to photograph her campaigning.  Since AO-C had won the Democratic primary in New York, she was already considered a shoo-in.  Alexandria, in all black, lounges in an office chair in her sepia-toned Bronx apartment, with her live-in boyfriend Riley partially seen off to the left.  Some papers and her glasses are on a nearby table.  The entire composition is in black, sepia-gold and gray.  She’s leaning in and gazing contentedly into the camera, her head resting in her hand.

Notice that even though I disagree strongly with her political views, I did not get snarky in describing the portrait.  I can’t resist mentioning, though, that Vogue tells me her sweater is by Victor Glemaud.  I don’t know who Victor Glemaud is, but I’m always amused by socialists wearing designer names.  In the guide at the back of the magazine, I see the cardigan she wears sells for $495.  The top underneath is $395.  Her jeans cost $225.  So this socialist is hanging around her apartment in a casual black outfit that costs $1,115.  Plus tax.  In her socialist utopia, she’ll have to be part of the ruling elite to be able to afford that --- or any of the designer clothes pictured in VOGUE.

The subhead reads:  “As young women on the political left storm the gates of government, Irina Aleksander reports on a game-changing election and the progressive movement’s new star, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.”

If I start quoting extensively from this piece, you are going to get sick.  (I get sick so you don’t have to!)  It is absolutely as fawning as you imagine it might be.  I’ll give you one tiny sampling:  When asked why establishment politicians are so spooked by her, she says, “I think we’re scared of things we’re not familiar with, that show power.  If a spaceship landed in your backyard, it’s like ‘What the f--- is that?  Is it going to hurt me?’”

Yes, they have to quote her saying the f-word, which is obligatory even for politicians now, at least on the left.  And I would add that her analogy is appropriate in a way, because even with her degree from Boston University, she has about as much knowledge of economics as someone who just stepped out of a spaceship.  Perhaps less.  And, yes, her ideology will hurt you.

Just in general, from looking at these magazines, I see the message of “female empowerment” being undercut by photography featuring female bondage, cruel shoes, crotch shots and waif-like anorexics.  And have you noticed that some high-fashion models look like androgynous genetic experiments that went a little bit haywire?  But I digress.

In another part of the magazine, a tribute by Bette Midler to her longtime friend, designer Michael Kors, features a dramatic full-length portrait of Michelle Obama wearing a long black gown complete with train; this photo had first appeared in VOGUE in 2013, while Michelle was First Lady.  Her gown is by Michael Kors.  Photography by...Annie Leibovitz, of course.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

The threat of "fake news"

A Twitter alternative

• Nancy M Hamlett

01/12/2019 09:35 PM

It was a beautiful photo!

The media & so many in Hollywood have become bullies & totally mean spirited!

• LaVada L Adams

12/23/2018 03:31 PM

It is a disgrace how the media, magazines, and newspapers treat the President and First Lady. They are a stunning couple and she is gorgeous. The problem is everyone is jealous of her and the only way they can make themselves feel better is to try to tear her down. Thank God, the majority can see through all of this nonsense and appreciate her for who she is.

• June Schumacher

12/22/2018 02:47 AM

Your articles are always well written and spot on.
    I also think your daughter Sarah is fantastic!!! She is so strong to take all the crap that the media throws at her.

• Brenda Cocchio

12/21/2018 08:37 PM

Mike....if it is in fact Mike... tho it all sounds like something you would say! I soooooo appreciate reading this whole piece on Vogue opinions on Trumps Christmas picture. Though I hardly ever care to read all the crap people or papers have to say about our world today, you sum it all up and hand it to me like a nicely wrapped present! Im forever having to bear listening to all my dads opinions on all the same matters. I feel like if I had something to say I would word it much like you do! I do really appreciate you... keep up the good work of posting my thoughts on these matters... I could only hope my father may encounter reading your posts and finally here a logical opionion, but unfortunately he cant receive... as he is always transmitting!....*sigh*

• Andrea Morgan Wilson

12/21/2018 05:48 PM

My suggestion to Vogue magazine is.....QUIT buying it! Sometimes these people must be hit in the pocketbook.

• Gina Lovejoy

12/21/2018 04:02 PM

Re: Trump Christmas Photo
    I, too, thought the photo was gorgeous. The mainstream media seems to be winning the PR war against the Republican president and I am concerned that their unrelenting barrage of attacks is tainting the Republican base. The battle is being waged by the press on the outside and by the deep state from the inside the government and it is beginning to feel less likely that the President is going to win the battle. How can we rally out troops to press on?

• Marsha Barnett

12/21/2018 03:37 PM

It seems to me the “ new Congress” is just a legalized Hollywood. They are elected so they get the attention of the media.
    BTW you didn’t mention that
    AO-C can afford designer clothes but can’t afford an apartment in WA DC?

Maybe she should start shopping at Target Marshall’s and Ross Macy’s also has more “ affordable “ wear.
    Then maybe she won’t need a GoFundMe for an apartment.

Enjoy all your Posts Mr Huckabee. I learn a lot and don’t have to suffer the stuff you read for us. Thank you !

God bless and Mwrry Christmas!

• Bernie Ferran

12/21/2018 03:07 PM

No one with any sense would care what Vogue has to say about anyone or anything. If Michelle had worn a bag over her head and a king size sheet for a dress they would have said she was the most designer savvy person in town.

• Bonnie Reynolds

12/21/2018 02:55 PM

Designer clothes can be found in thrift stores. Perhaps she shops at one of those. I do.
    When I see Michelle Obama I can't help remembering her saying she was never proud of our country until we elected her husband to be our president. I confess I was never fond of the Obama couple and can't understand the left's love affair with them.

• Bernie Ferran

12/21/2018 02:51 PM

• Amelia Little

12/21/2018 02:35 PM

Perhaps they are jealous that they don't have any models that can hold a candle to Melania Trump. And perhaps they are jealous that they don't have a good relationship with their significant others. The vogue seem to be unhappy people--and it shows. And, yes, the bottom line is that they are part of the group who hate the Trumps and that they are in the White House. Can you imagine a picture of slick willie and hilary? That would be sight to see--NOT!!!!!!

• Mike Smith

12/21/2018 01:42 PM

Nice article about a VERY nice picture. The only thing I'd really like to see added, is a source for a copy of the portrait. I know we can copy the image, but I'd like to get a good quality copy suitable for a scrapbook. ( I know, but they're still more fun than just a tablet )

• Kathleen Wood

12/21/2018 10:09 AM

Vogue and other magazines like them are shameful. Vogue used to be a beacon of style to women of all ages all over the world. Now it has sunk to bashing Christianity, conservative viewpoints and anyone who does not tote their "agenda" while promoting sexual promiscuity, drugs and socialism - even violence and hatred. I don't even want the magazine in my house. I received it through an airlines "Mags for Miles" program free. I throw it in the trash. What a waste of paper, huh?

• Rebecca Weeks

12/21/2018 09:55 AM

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I think that FLOTUS could be pictured sitting with children and would get snarked by her 1. Outfit 2. Melania bot 3. Her accent. Michelle Obama could be shown with the same outfit with the same kids and she would have her picture splashed all over the media as “lookbat how great she is”.
    Now, the thing is, I think BOTH woman should be heralded by their good deeds, kindness and compassion. What is absolutely killing me right now is the war on women by woman. We are told that our decisions are our own, our bodies are our own, and that “our” voices should be heard. Which, is the case unless you’re a white, female. Republican. At which time, you are told to be “re-educated” because surely, in my law degree life with an undergrad degree in Political science, I couldn’t possibly come up with my own thoughts on: abortion, gun rights, border security, finances and wanting to put my country first. In fact, because I voted Republican, it is because my husband told me what to do and like the dutiful wife I am, that what I voted (extreme sarcasm there.).
    I could write a book about it! Everything from the “me” generation of the 80’s to the #MeToo movement on through how the Kavanaugh hearings actually hurt women.
    Thank you for being such a compellingly voice I’m a chaotic time! We have your book “Do the right thing”. Excellent! Prayers for you and your family.

• MELANIE WITTMIER-STEFFLER

12/21/2018 04:21 AM

I have cancelled Glamour, Vogue, Style, Time, and a few more due to the constant Trump bashing. Enough already! We have tuned out of shows on tv like Murphey Brown, Connors, Fallon& late night shows for the same reason. So sic what's happening to this country.

• Kay Valyou

12/21/2018 02:46 AM

There will not be an end to our country’s turmoil, will there? At least not until Jesus comes. It’s all going to intensify quite rapidly, isn’t it? I have very young grandchildren and I have such a fear for them. Sorry! I did not mean to get so wordy. We have a great respect and admiration for you Governor!!

• Terri S Middleton

12/21/2018 01:08 AM

Very sad what this world has come to. They would rather hate than give this couple or his family any love, yet they say love, not hate. Give me a break. That saying means everyone, not just liberals. President Trump and Melania look beautiful and happy...makes a lib wanna cry, doesn't it? Hahaha Merry Christmas to all <3

• Kenna Maccalum

12/20/2018 10:22 PM

I thought the picture was very nice. It's a shame that people have to be snarky all the time.

• Dusty Hickey

12/20/2018 09:56 PM

Vogue who? The majority of us working Middle Class have nothing to do with this magazine . Trying to work and feed and take care of our families not spend thousands of dollars on clothes because it is someone who is famous. Taking down this President because they are part of the liberal elite and the rest of us the Scum Balls. So let them say whatever. I thought the couple was super classy and the decorations superb. Majority of real America do not bother with Vogue.

• Beverly Yost

12/20/2018 09:07 PM

I had heard the number one fashion magazine Vogue is about broke. They could sell many magazines if they ever used the First Lady. But they would rather go broke than ever use Melania Trump. Good let's hope they do:)

• dolores varricchio

12/20/2018 08:02 PM

what a shame that the dems can't stop with hate filled comments even for Christmas. In the end it just shows what lack of class and how full of hatred they are - shame on them. Personally, I believe the President and his wife the best looking couple in a long time I am not only proud of them but, proud of us deplorables that recognized how great President Trump was and voted for him.

• Jacquelyn Ann Donehoo

12/20/2018 07:50 PM

Has the First Lady ever been on a magazine cover?

• Robin Durham

12/20/2018 07:35 PM

The pic of POTUS & Wife is STUNNING! If people had any heart for others, they would see this. Appears all these naysayers really don’t have enough to do with their time! Never bought Vogue and certainly won’t now.

• Gloria Grace Prosper

12/20/2018 07:16 PM

Regarding Bette Midler et al, it is regrettable that those who have been gifted with talent by the Creator have to open their mouths and ruin the image. My father, who was a LEGAL immigrant from Brasil, had many wise sayings. This one: “It is better to keep your mouth shut and let people think that you are stupid than to open it and prove it to them.” Hmmm...perhaps I should “tweet” this to Occasional Cortez (misspelling purposeful). Blessings to you and yours.

• Lynn Hoyt

12/20/2018 05:19 PM

I feel sorry for all those people, especially ones who have the ability to put their hatred and anger right out there! How empty and unfullfilling their lives must be. Maybe if we put that sentiment out there big time, it would make a difference.