Thursday was the National Day of Prayer, and during the observance at the White House, President Trump announced the creation of the White House Faith and Opportunity Initiative. It’s a new office aimed at protecting Americans’ religious liberty. Trump said it “will help design new policies that recognize the vital role of faith in our families, our communities and our great country.” Trump also issued an executive order that “It shall be the policy of the executive branch to vigorously enforce Federal law’s robust protections for religious freedom.” It also instructs the IRS not to target churches or faith-based groups because they speak out on political or moral issues from a religious perspective. You can read more details at the link.

I continue to hear liberals questioning why Evangelicals back Trump when he does so many things of which they should disapprove: his sometimes blue language, his background as a playboy, etc. Part of it is our community believes in forgiveness and redemption, so we don’t necessary hold things that people did years ago against them today. We also don’t hold people to unreasonable standards of perfection because we realize there was only one perfect person among us, and that was 2,000 years ago. We tend to judge people more by their current actions, and there’s no question that Trump has been the best President at protecting religious liberties since…well, possibly ever. Many Presidents have paid lip service to protecting religious freedom but not taken much action. Trump didn’t just make campaign promises, he’s keeping and surpassing them

Maybe Trump has also seemed to be a godsend partly because he followed eight years of the most hostile administration to religious liberties since…definitely ever. During the Obama era, each new day seemed to bring a new assault on religious believers until the government was actually suing a charitable order of impoverished nuns in federal court to force them to pay for abortion drugs and contraceptives. If you’d made that part of the plot of a novel in 2007, critics would have dismissed it as the paranoid ravings of a right-wing conspiracy nut. So if some Christians view Trump as being like the answer to a prayer for an oasis after eight years in the desert, it’s really not that hard to understand.

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT. I READ THEM!

OR IF YOU WOULD PREFER TO SEND ME A MESSAGE, GO HERE.

• A. L. Straayer

06/01/2018 12:01 AM

I am sorry but your post is not exactly truth, is it? Religious freedom can be found in allowing the LGBT to be who they are meant to be.
    The Republicans didn't do that. You are making abortion a religious issue and saying you can't do it.

Just exactly what has Trump done to protect our religious liberties. Nothing that you said above sounds impressive at all.

• Julie Sullivan

05/06/2018 11:22 PM

Thank you, Governor Huckabee! You've explained this in a way I never could! I'm so grateful for your presence on social media.

P.S - Pssst...you were my first choice for POTUS. :)

• David Weekley

05/06/2018 08:06 PM

Thought of this last night. You're a great word smith and thought it would bless you.
    "It's good to take your "I's" off yourself and keep your eyes on God."

• Jack Hargett

05/06/2018 05:11 PM

Governor, your Godly discernment is showing. You cudn't be more correct. As scripture says, God puts people in authority for his own purposes--some of which are very difficult to understand. But despite the President's worldly background, he's been very pro-Christian and Jew since taking office.

• JoAnn E Turnquist

05/06/2018 04:39 PM

President Trump is the best president for this time. If Hillary had won we would have lost more rights which our Constitution outlines, and which are essentially god-given rights. No one is perfect but President Trump understands the trouble we are in as a country and how our strength makes the world a safer place. Thanks for your insight and Christian faith.

• Barbara reeves

05/06/2018 04:38 PM

You are a valid spokesman for religious freedom and Washington. Thank you and your daughter for your example and courage.

• Amy Braswell

05/06/2018 03:04 PM

Very well said! Thank you! I have always thought the world of you and your leadership and I trust you. I support and pray daily for President Trump, but I question whether or not it’s what God desires, especially when he is so unkind, calls names, and just acts like a bully. I want his life to prove that he is not the same man he once was, and I want his actions to reflect that. Your words here are encouraging! Again, thank you for sharing your wisdom and your heart.

• LORI ANN REGO

05/05/2018 07:58 PM

GOV. HUCKABEE I'M SO HAPPY TO HEAR THAT PRESIDENT TRUMP DID THE FAITH INITIATIVE. I WISH THIS HAD BEEN DONE ALONG AGO. IT WASN'T SO I'M TICKLE PINK IT'S HAPPENING NOW.

• LORI ANN REGO

05/05/2018 07:58 PM

• Robert McFate

05/05/2018 04:05 PM

It is of the up most importance that people be able to learn about our faith based government so they can be prepared and try to make it through the extremely dark times which we both know are coming!

• Elidio

05/05/2018 02:29 PM

President Donald Trump is a very exceptional president and is doing his job out of love for the U.S.A. His motivation is not fame or fortune. He is truly a great Patriot and a Warrior for the cause of Freedom, Liberty and Justice for all.

• Linda Radosevich

05/05/2018 01:47 PM

Thank the Lord we didn't have to wander in THAT desert for 40 years!!

• Brad

05/05/2018 11:03 AM

Well said Mike.

There was one perfect man, and they crucified Him.

• Marlene Semansky

05/05/2018 10:06 AM

John 8:7, viz. “he that is without sin amoung you, LET him first cast a stone at her. The may exclude MOTHER THERESA AND POPE JOHN PAUL FROM POLAND. Devout Catholics.

• Vickie Fiorentino

05/05/2018 09:12 AM

Is he an answer to prayer? Time will tell. Cleaning the swamp and the national debt, as well as Social Security should be next.

• Stephen Russell

05/05/2018 08:46 AM

Long overdue to host office as such, Nice 2 have place 2 go for issues.

• Jonny L Whisenant

05/05/2018 02:02 AM

Hello Mike, I'm right with you on this. Perhaps it's because I've taught church, world, and American histories, for years that I cannot understand why our evangelical brethern have any complaints. The church has seen one trouble and presecution after another for all it's existance. To me it's akin to a mini version of the Roman Emperior Constantine lifting the bloody persecution from Christians in the fourth century and then having some christians complain (as they still do) that he only did it for political reasons and was not really moved by his faith. Aren't the judging of motives really God's territory? Does the instrument that God uses, by necessity reflect on the character of the people He protects with it? It just seems to me like the proper response is to thank our Father for His mercy, whether He chooses to use a Constantine, a Cyrus, or a common sinner like DT and the rest of us. And then to earnestly pray that this experience will draw the hearts of this man (our President) and his family to Himself in genuine repentance and faith and trust, if that is not already happening. Where is our compassion for his salvation and our greatfulness for what ever help he has rendered our people. Appreciating and supporting what he has done and is doing does not imply approval of his failings (if they are true). I fear my generation has not experienced enough hard times and the pride that C.S. Lewis warned was the mother of all sins has stelthily invaded our self perception over these peaceful and largely prosperous decades. It makes it hard to be properly thankful and humble as we do not know what we do not have. I pray that my children and grand children will not have to learn that we were nieve to believe that persecution could not come to American Christians. The witnness of history simply does not support such optimism.

• Carol Breeden

05/04/2018 07:17 PM

Amen!

• Douglas Martin

05/04/2018 05:32 PM

I am a sinner. I am not perfect. I am a believer. I look at this as a glass half-full, not half empty. They're always lessons to be learned from the worst things in life. I have faith and pray that this executive action will bring Converts to believe in Jesus Christ.

• Glen Mitchell

05/04/2018 05:31 PM

I do not disagree, but please remember Mike that God did not create the various religions or churches man did.

• Carlene Williams

05/04/2018 05:14 PM

As a Christian, I wanted a strong leader, who could run a business & drain the Swamp. We did not elect a Pastor, we elected someone who would fight against the move to make our Great Nation, and 3rd world country. I would not want anyone to dig in my past as they are doing to President Trump. For when we each came to the Cross, Jesus took away our sins, He did not hide them, He forgave them.
    Shame on the so-called Republicans who are fighting against him too.