The John McCain story

May 17, 2018 |

A story appeared a few days ago that I deliberately avoided talking about in hopes that the people trying to turn it into a big deal would start to feel ashamed of themselves and reel it in. Instead, it’s just gone on and on, and gotten louder and louder. I feel I have to talk about it, but I’m going to do so by saying as little about the details as possible.

The story involves a little-known Trump White House staffer who, according to a leak, made a callous remark during a private meeting about Sen. John McCain, who is suffering from last-stage brain cancer. I won’t quote it, but she allegedly implied that his opposition would not be a factor because he will not live much longer. I don’t know if she actually said that, or the tone of her comment (was it mocking or disrespectful or simply coldly pragmatic?) But it sparked the usual howls of outrage and demands from the left that she be fired for slandering an American hero.

That prompted conservative news outlets to start digging into the records and finding far worse, unfair things that had been said about McCain by the left, including some of the very same people feigning outrage on McCain's behalf now. As an example, here’s a link to a story about comments made about McCain by Al Franken before he became a Senator. I could link to a lot more, but one should be more than enough.

This story turned into a full-blown media frenzy that’s still consuming airtime days later. Yet, nobody is saying what really needs to be said about it. So here goes:

Why did anything need to be said about this at all? Did any of the people who claim to be offended on behalf of Sen. McCain and his family ever consider that they were making it 1,000 times worse by giving it so much attention? Even if the leak turns out to be true, it was an unfortunate comment in a private meeting by a lower-level staffer. That is not news. The proper response wasn’t a media frenzy. It should have been a quiet reprimand and a reminder that some things, like showing compassion for a fellow human being suffering with a terminal illness and his family members, are more important than political gamesmanship.

All the fuss over it was stunningly hypocritical: people who claimed to be outraged that someone would say something hurtful about McCain in private amplified it into a 24/7 news story guaranteed to be seen by him and his family. They feign being offended that anyone would place politics over showing respect for Sen. McCain, yet they will gladly shine a spotlight on insults to McCain if it can inflict political damage on the Trump Administration.

Are there no news editors left who have a iota of taste, class, empathy or just common decency; who can look at a story like that and say, “A dumb private remark by an unknown underling is not newsworthy, plus publicizing it would cause pain and disrespect for a terminally-ill American hero. We have higher standards than that. Go find some real news to report.”

Maybe it’s the age we live in, when the Internet has given everyone a soap box to say whatever they want, but many people, from that White House staffer to her gleeful critics in the media, seem to have forgotten a very important lesson:

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT. I READ THEM!

OR IF YOU WOULD PREFER TO SEND ME A MESSAGE, GO HERE.

• David Locke

05/21/2018 01:09 AM

Praying for Sarah, love your TBN show, thanks for your commitment to high standards. Your piece, The John McCain Story, really captures how a senator's public life can conclude with whining noises and whimpering. It didn't have to be that way, but the justice appears to have the upper hand. Nonetheless still expecting President Trump will show his respects later when the shouting has died down.

• Brad Crawford

05/20/2018 07:32 PM

Amen. I agree 100% that it was, and continues to be, way overblown. Too many in the MSM with no agenda other than hurting the president even if it means hurting others.

• David Chinery

05/20/2018 06:22 AM

Agree. The staffer was ignorant and stupid. The "leak" needs to be publicly fired!! I personally do no view McCain as a "hero". He is merely a whiney Politician who overstayed his welcome in order to get rich.

• Laura Phillips

05/19/2018 02:12 PM

Thank you Mr. Huckabee! Nice to read something SANE these days. You are so "right on" ! Our world has gone absolutely crazy with hate...when even news editors can't NOT PRINT all the dirt.

• Richard R Walton

05/19/2018 05:38 AM

Mr. McCain will have to atone for all of his ills. What I wouldn`t give to be a fly on St. Peters desk at that time. Enjoy your eternal damnation Mr. McCain.

• Maureen Bowles

05/19/2018 05:16 AM

I agree with you. It is funny that everyone seems to forget or does not want to bring up comments made by them and others when it comes to these people but have no problem slamming others. Even the family seems to have no problem using his illness for their agenda but then seems to have a lot of outrage if someone even mentions it. By the way, I just love your daughter. She shows true class every single time she opens her mouth. She could make a good future president!

• Jerry D. Woods

05/18/2018 11:11 PM

You are right on target. Sometimes it is better to ignore and say nothing. If they wanted to respect a war hero, keeping silent would have been very respectful. Millions would never have known it except the blabber mouth "reporter" reported it !

• Kathie L Anderson

05/18/2018 10:44 PM

Thank You for this article Mr Huckabee. You are absolutely correct. I think 3/4 of the things that are posted and reported on these days are completely unnecessary NON-stories and they should never have wasted their time or ours.

• Tim Knipp

05/18/2018 10:19 AM

I get the fact that Senator McCain has served his country, both militarily and as a public representative, and that he is someone to be respected because of that, but what truly makes him a hero? I don't know his story except that he was a prisoner of war during the Vietnam conflict and suffered greatly in that. If that makes him a hero, ok, call me a jerk for asking. I have never agreed with his politics, he has never been a conservative in my eyes, he consistently voted more along the lines of a Democrat and I had much more trouble voting for him when he ran for president than I ever had with Mr. Trump, who I thought was a terrible choice until seeing his incredible success as leader of this nation.
    I hate that anyone has to die of cancer, and I know the trials of brain cancer, as someone in our family died that way a decade ago, but can't the Democrats and the main-stream media just let it go? You lost! You get another chance to screw-up this country in a couple of years... go for it.

• June Walters

05/18/2018 10:00 AM

Unfortunately, anything said about, within or accidently by this administration is exploited like never before. I am so over all the negative press and ugly things said. I really cannot understand how we can change this negative atmosphere. Very tired of news.

• Denise A Wright

05/18/2018 03:02 AM

Govenor Huckabee as you truthfully stated, "Just because the First Amendment gives you the right to say any stupid thing that pops into your head, that doesn’t mean it’s a good idea to say it."
    AMEN

• Dawn Street

05/17/2018 11:34 PM

I will say I am not a fan of John McCain. I have read his history and find his conduct unbecoming an officer and a gentleman. I voted for Sarah Palin for VP. His name was on the ballot so he also received my vote. I have no respect for him as a "senator", as a conservative Republican (RINO) or as a man. But that said I am appalled that anyone would repeat something said in private and make a public brouhaha over it. His disease is a horrible killer and I am sure he is in a lot of pain. His family is suffering with him. The media and others need to leave them alone and allow him to die with whatever dignity he can muster.

As far as choosing who will be at his funeral, that is his choice. I never heard of invitations to a funeral before, but I guess it is an important event to the deceased. Personally, I don't care who comes to mine. I have left instructions for cremation and throw a party, remember the good times we had when I was alive. I won't be there!

• MaryMax Olander

05/17/2018 11:04 PM

Mr. Huckabee ...Very well said...and I enjoy your show as well..Blessings, MaryMax

• James Byler

05/17/2018 10:36 PM

I agree wholeheartedly Mike! It is far past time for this country to show some class and human decency! Even to those with whom we disagree!

• Patrick Titterington

05/17/2018 10:09 PM

The White House needs to find a good plumber; there are more leaks there than you can shake a stick at. But as the the alleged comment, I know I have thought the same thing, certainly in the pragmatic vein. Of course, as an ex health care worker, I also wonder what effect the Senators condition is having on his brain. It certainly has to be partly responsible for all of his decisions, statements etc. As a disabled vet myself, I certainly respect the man for what he went through as a POW, but have felt his thought processes has been suspect now for the past several years.

• Barbara Cotter

05/17/2018 09:49 PM

Well said, as usual Mr Huckabee. This country has truly lost its way! Thank you for being a beacon of sensibility! Also, thank you for raising such a wonderful daughter. She is a true role model. You and your wife should be so very proud.

• Crystal Fenton

05/17/2018 08:53 PM

The real concern here is... Who leaked the comment?? How hard it must be for President Trump to run an efficient administration when he can't even trust the people around him! And I don't think anybody (Except the Deep State...) has a clue as to how deep it goes. I believe it's deep enough that I fear for Trump and his family's life if he wins a second term... or if he'll even get that far! Lord, You put him in office for a reason, so please protect him and his family and give him wisdom and guidance in these difficult and perilous times, Amen.

• Marie Rose

05/17/2018 08:45 PM

Well said.

But I’d add that the McCain family can’t have it both ways - Senator McCain is apparently planning his funeral and deciding who may attend from the WH while banning the POTUS and bragging he gave the fake dossier to Comey although he was in no way sure of its veracity and says anyone who has an issue with the ethics of that can “go to hell”.

So the McCains need to pick a lane here. The venerable Senator is either too frail for the political hot kitchen any longer and is withdrawing from public life as he enters into the active stages of dying and requests privacy and respect for he and his family... or as all evidence indicates he’s strong enough to keep playing hardball politics to the very end with all the rebuttals and comments that come with the campaign dinner as the nation witnesses him transform into a deathbed Democrat the left now celebrates before our eyes.

In this case be mad at the leakernot the staffer though. It was the leaker that “hurt” the family since this was not a broadcasted comment aimed to hurt the McCains , even though the blunt, impolitic comment is not exactly incorrect and many are thinking the same thing on both sides if anyone is honest.

• Martha Hendershot

05/17/2018 08:43 PM

Just like John Wayne once said, " Say the best think the rest". People seem to have no compassion for anyone today. So sad.

• Valerie Kurtz

05/17/2018 08:35 PM

The attacks on everyone and everything have no moral decency anymore. Judgement is rampant. Divisiveness is stark. And hate lives. I love different opinions, but the level of disrespect is what worries me the most.

• Pamela Raker

05/17/2018 06:32 PM

I totally agree. In private, one would think that the conversation was private, and to put it out to the media only shows intent. Hope they find these trolls and fire them on the spot.

• Shirley Eckhardt

05/17/2018 06:22 PM

Once again, Governor, you have nailed it! I feel as you do...that just because we have the right to say what we want does not mean that it is the right thing to do! Clearly, regardless of what our personal opinion of John McCain might be, the man is terminally ill and, in the interest of common decency and compassion, these kinds of remarks are inappropriate and certainly should not be put out there for public consumption! Shame on us for losing sight of what is right!

• Austin Watkins

05/17/2018 05:58 PM

Courtesy and common sense both died a slow hard death in our country.......

• Robert Delamarter

05/17/2018 05:34 PM

Always enjoy your remarks Mr. Huckabee. I'm thankful for the men who still stand for integrity in the political world.

• B.J.

05/17/2018 05:14 PM

It very well could have been said out of frustration. Some times there is only a certain amount of time for a meeting and a number of topics to cover. There may have been those dwelling too long on the Senator's no vote.

• Michael A Morgan

05/17/2018 05:08 PM

So well said. Still sad we missed on you being our President. I believe more people miss you than is noted. I don’t watch much MSM anymore because it seems more opinion and entertainment than news reporting.
    I respect the burden of running for public office, but I, and I’m sure many, Miss you Gov. Huckabee. I must say I did not realize this was said in private. Where is character and loyalty these days? Cowards, looking for their 15 minutes in the limelight. God bless you and your amazing daughter.

• Patricia Reynolds

05/17/2018 04:56 PM

I agree with you on most everything but you are falling into the same trap that many others have before you. John McCain is no hero. He spilled his guts to the VietCong and told them how to find downed pilots. He never suffered a day of torture and the only reason he didn't come home when the offer was given was his father had already laid out the plan for his political career. He dropped his payload and 138 Americans, not one enemy. Ask the men who served with him and the ones who were POWs with him.

As for the insensitive remark, I can go so far as to say that I think he's a selfish, egotistical jerk who should have resigned his seat and allowed someone mentally competent to takeover.

• John Mertz

05/17/2018 04:55 PM

Common Sense-- how refreshing!

• Kathy Cline

05/17/2018 04:52 PM

Could not agree more. It is clear where your amazing daughter gets her compassion, honesty, and no nonsense common sense from.

• Pamela Bourrell

05/17/2018 04:34 PM

Gov.Huckabee,
    I sincerely Thank You for writing what has needed to be said from the beginning.I don't happen to like John McCain but I do Know that
    Politics should have nothing to do with a dying man.Unfortunately,Sen.McCain is just as guilty with his words and actions as everyone else.
    Although his sins will not excuse ours.When attacked it's hard not to hit back.Regardless I choose to no longer react ,I've had to turn
    off the computer before I explode or cry at some of the worst things being said. I'm praying for him and his family, and for God to give
    me the strength to not react angrily at whatever attack or insult coming next. It helps me reading your words, bringing reality to life,
    when we forget to walk in their shoes and imagine what their feeling. Thank You again. I hope you enjoyed your trip to Israel.
    God bless you and your family.Sarah's the best!

• Sam

05/17/2018 04:34 PM

A couple of comments:

1) McCain is more a traitor/coward than anything else.

2) The news media are pure propaganda.

• lolakatoto

05/17/2018 04:32 PM

Oh Please Mike Huckabee, you said, “A dumb private remark by an unknown underlying is not newsworthy, plus publicizing it would cause pain and disrespect for a terminally-ill American hero". Sorry, but you don't get the name of 'Songbird' from Hanoi Hilton for nothing. He has earned that name with bells and whistles. Explain why McCain so ill and having so much hatred in his heart. The White House Aide said what a lot of people think of McCain.

• Jan Conboy

05/17/2018 04:03 PM

Gov. Huckabee,
    Thank you for your voice of reason on this travesty of a "news" story.

• Rev. Jim Stone

05/17/2018 03:38 PM

Beautiful piece Mike.
    In my humble Christian opinion,
    all Democrats are evil,
    not necessarily because they promote the killing of babies,
    or that they're intellectually dishonest and traitorous.
    But because they play* for a party that espouses these hateful behaviors.
    *vote for / support.

• Kevin Cook

05/17/2018 02:53 PM

First off McCain is a sore loser who like Democrats would rather hurt this country than give Trump a win. This temper tantrum he has thrown will be his legacy. Second his juvenile demand for respect is appalling. Third I think there are over 100 Million hard working Americans that have done more for this country than McCain or most politicians and they are more an American hero than McCain.

• Nancy Kingan

05/17/2018 02:42 PM

Thank you, Gov. Huckabee, I fully agree. Who among us has not said something we would wish a 'do over' for?

• Julie Miller

05/17/2018 02:30 PM

I think the 24/7 news cycle leaves some so-called journalists with tired brains that are too lazy to find something positive to report. This type of reporting is certainly not "news". Thanks, Mike, for putting this is in its proper perspective.

• Barbara

05/17/2018 02:24 PM

Give us a break. McCain is planning his own funeral and no one is supposed to observe that he's dying? He was and is a petty little man with a mean streak a mile wide. He proved that by saying he didn't want the president to attend his funeral. He gave Gov. Palin a "gut punch" (her words) when he announced he was sorry he chose her for his running mate. I've got news for him - the only reason I donated and voted for him WAS BECAUSE OF SARAH PALIN! He thinks way too much of himself and just needs to get off the stage. I think America has had enough of him and his kind.

• Bruce Deming

05/17/2018 02:15 PM

You don't get the nickname songbird in the Hanoi Hilton because they liked the way you sang. As a Republican, you don't give a dirty dossier about the Republican candidate for POTUS, to the head of the FBI. An Admirals son, who is in the Navy, will never have negative records about anything he did. You will find about the same number of Jane Fonda supporters, as you do McCain (or John Kerry) supporters, in Military Veterans from that era. Hero? I think not.

• Janet L Christian

05/17/2018 02:01 PM

You are absolutely correct. Do journalists not realize we listen to what is actually said by people, then hear how they twist those comments for their own agenda?? Do they think we believe everything they say? We are not stupid. We can read between the lines. My opinion of so many journalists, broadcasters, and editors have taken a 180 degree turn since this last presidential election. They are UNBELIEVABLE.
    On another note, I admire your daughter so much. She is so strong, resilient, intelligent, graceful, classy, and uses her common sense when dealing with the press. Admire both of you greatly. Actually YOU were my choice for president. May God bless you both.

• Judith M. Green

05/17/2018 01:59 PM

Oh, puhleeze, Gov. Huckabee! McShame is NO American hero - he was a traitor in Vietnam and remains so today!!!! Why do you perpetuate this lie? Allow me to educate you: "Considering John McCain’s vulnerability regarding his past, it is probably in his best interest to shut up, and certainly he would be wise to avoid insulting fellow Republicans, especially Donald Trump. Let’s review:" https://powderedwigsociety.com/trump-is-right-john-mccain-is-no-hero/

Some of those who were on the Forrestal and other persons familiar with the ordnance told me that because the rocket did not hit McCain’s craft, only actions by the pilot could have caused any bomb to fall from McCain’s Skyhawk. These sources — who spoke under the condition that they not be publicly identified — agree with each other that, if any bomb fell from the McCain airplane, it was because of actions that he took either in error or panic upon seeing the fire on the deck or in his hasty exit from the plane. Two switches in the cockpit of a Skyhawk need to be thrown to drop such a bomb, according to the sources.

"Whatever the circumstances of the fire’s origins, McCain did not stay on deck to help fight the blaze as the men around him did. With the firefighting crew virtually wiped out, men untrained in fighting fires had to pick up the fire hoses, rescue the wounded or frantically throw bombs and even planes over the ship’s side to prevent further tragedy. McCain left them behind and went down to the hangar-bay level, where he briefly helped crew members heave some bombs overboard. After that, he went to the pilot’s ready room and watched the fire on a television monitor hooked to a camera trained on the deck." https://www.truthdig.com/articles/investigating-john-mccains-tragedy-at-sea/

John McCain, who has risen to political prominence on his image as a Vietnam POW war hero, has, inexplicably, worked very hard to hide from the public stunning information about American prisoners in Vietnam who, unlike him, didn’t return home. Throughout his Senate career, McCain has quietly sponsored and pushed into federal law a set of prohibitions that keep the most revealing information about these men buried as classified documents. Thus the war hero who people would logically imagine as a determined crusader for the interests of POWs and their families became instead the strange champion of hiding the evidence and closing the books.

"Almost as striking is the manner in which the mainstream press has shied from reporting the POW story and McCain’s role in it, even as the Republican Party has made McCain’s military service the focus of his presidential campaign. Reporters who had covered the Vietnam War turned their heads and walked in other directions. McCain doesn’t talk about the missing men, and the press never asks him about them."

"The pressure from the families and Vietnam veterans finally forced the creation, in late 1991, of a Senate Select Committee on POW/MIA Affairs. The chairman was John Kerry. McCain, as a former POW, was its most pivotal member. In the end, the committee became part of the debunking machine.

One of the sharpest critics of the Pentagon’s performance was an insider, Air Force Lt. Gen. Eugene Tighe, who headed the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) during the 1970s. He openly challenged the Pentagon’s position that no live prisoners existed, saying that the evidence proved otherwise. McCain was a bitter opponent of Tighe, who was eventually pushed into retirement." http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/mccain-and-the-pow-cover-up/

• Neva Golsch

05/17/2018 01:55 PM

I totally agree. No matter what people of think of John McCain, he is a human being who is going through a terrible thing along with his family and the fact that the media ran with it is just another example of how they really don't care about people - only what they think sells news (or fake news).

• Joyce Brittingham

05/17/2018 01:41 PM

My husband an I both always watch your show, most of the time on Sat and again on Sunday!! we love you and yours. Sarah is the best in a long time!

• Anthony Bohman

05/17/2018 01:19 PM

I don’t care about a man who almost destroyed a aircraft carrier improperly starting his aircraft!! No investigation occurred because his admiral daddy protected his son!! He is no different than Hillary Clinton!!

• Mark Klemkosky

05/17/2018 01:13 PM

John McCain has been touted as a hero because he was a surviving POW... ...but for some reason, his misdeeds in the military and politics have been effectively swept under the carpet. If John McCain were honorable, as I would assume most heroes are, he would step down and allow some fresh blood to use his senate seat. Sadly, both brain tumors and Alzheimer's have a way of bringing out a person's true nature...

• Tim Cahall

05/17/2018 01:00 PM

John McCain receives TOO MUCH attention. Songbird should just fade away! Retire so AZ can have a Red Seat!

• Marilyn Hamilton

05/17/2018 12:55 PM

Why do we not hear who the tattletale was? That’s where the blame should go. Private comments, no matter how ugly, do not need to be reported publicly. I think the real shame should be placed on the loudmouth!

• Linda Pratt

05/17/2018 12:54 PM

A quiet reprimand would have been more than enough for the aide. A bigger reprimand needs to be made to the media. This is being played up not to hurt the aide but to hurt McCain who they really have no compassion for. Look at the comments they kept publishing after Barbra Bush's death by careless critics to hurt the Bush family. No, make no mistake. They haven't developed a conscience, they keep pushing this narrative because they don't have one.

• Cheryl Smith-Bell

05/17/2018 12:51 PM

John McCain
    Todays fun fact

Okay, people...before John McCain dies and the ridiculous "tributes" to the man make me vomit, let's remember what McCain's real legacy is: His father was the Admiral in charge of the Pacific fleet prosecuting the war in Vietnam Nam.
    Because of this McCain got preferential treatment in the Navy. He was allowed to become a Navy pilot. But he was a terrible pilot.
    McCain crashed two navy Jets in his early career. Then while aboard the Aircraft Carrier USS Forrestal, McCain got angry because he had to wait in line to take off on a bombing run.
    He shut off his engines, opened the cockpit, and in his haste to exit the aircraft to chew someone out about his having to " wait", he hit the button that released his live bombs onto the deck of the Forrestal.
    He took off running, as the bombs exploded, which set off a chain reaction of bombs from adjacent aircraft, and the ensuing explosions and fires killed 133 sailors aboard the Forrestal.
    While his fellow sailors were fighting the fire, McCain went to the pilot's lounge below decks and watched the men fight the fire on closed circuit TV.
    Hours later, McCain took off with a New York Times reporter buddy of his, and went on to say that after seeing the effects of those bombs on the Forrestal, he was beginning to question the morality of dropping those bombs on the Viet Cong.
    McCain was the direct cause of 133 deaths on his own ship, and was never reprimanded. He was nowhere to be found as the Forrestal had to limp to the Philippines for months of repair work.
    McCain was married then. His wife was stricken with debilitating injuries in an automobile accident. And was hospitalized for more than 5 months. McCain was off gallivanting with anything in a skirt.
    Upon returning from Vietnam Nam, McCain found his wife was disfigured by her injuries, which included a shattered pelvis, arm, and legs. In order to save her legs, doctors performed 23 surgeries on her, and had to remove significant portions of the bones in her legs, which left he shorter, and unable to walk, and in a wheelchair, she had to use a catheter.
    McCain was disinterested in his first wife's predicament. She had to go through grueling physical therapy to learn to walk again.
    After McCain left the Navy, he was intent on a career in politics. He and His wife Carol had gotten to know Ronald and Nancy Reagan, and McCain was eager to jump into politics.
    But he decided he needed a more visually pleasing young woman by his side. He callously divorced Carol, the mother of his three children, and immediately jumped into the sack with new wife Cindy, who was 18 years younger.
    Upon learning of this, the Reagans were shocked and angered by how he had treated Carol.
    While campaigning for congress, McCain used pictures of himself posing with Mr. And Mrs. Reagan, but there was no hearty endorsement offered by the Reagans.
    McCain's new young wife was also an heiress to an Arizona Brewing fortune.
    And let us not forget McCain was one of the Keating 5, who had helped swindle life savings from countless Americans in the Savings and Loan scandal of the 1980's. McCain was in it up to his eyeballs.
    Yet McCain was well-connected in Washington, and parlayed his connections into a seat in the United States Senate.
    So before the tearful tributes to John McCain, be sure you remember the facts about this self-proclaimed Maverick. The facts do not agree with that portrait of a heroic patriot and great American.
    With due respect to his family, John McCain was never the great man so many portray him as.
    I do not wish the man any harm or ill-will. But neither should we allow this false narrative fairy-tale about this scoundrel of a man as he faces his eternal fate.
    By JJ McCartney

This is just one of the things this POS did, and I have NO respect for him.

• Lauren Bhattacharya

05/17/2018 12:49 PM

Our society is deteriorating right before our very eyes. . What I have come to understand as an outsider looking in is that the left are the least tolerant yet shout the loudest for tolerance. The news is now tabloid news and I no longer watch it. Senator McCain should have resigned from the Senator the moment he knew his diagnosis thus leaving with dignity. His hatred for President Trump will be one of the last things remembered about him.