A Twitter Storm

January 28, 2019

Over the weekend, I had a brush with one of those Twitter storms so many people fear these days, and I had a reminder of why they don’t really matter at all.

Many people are skeptical of CNN’s claim that they did not get a leaked “tip” from the FBI or Mueller’s team to have a camera crew on Trump adviser Roger Stone’s lawn before dawn Friday when the FBI conducted what should have been a top-secret raid to serve him with seven indictments in the Mueller investigation (actually, there never should have been any such armed raid.  Stone is a 66-year-old, nonviolent alleged offender with no criminal record or current passport who had already offered to voluntarily turn himself in.  Bursting into his home with that kind of firepower was political theater designed to pressure Stone and make headlines.  It was not only unconscionable treatment of an American citizen, it was also reckless and dangerous: Stone’s wife is deaf, and agents waving guns were yelling instructions at her that she couldn’t hear.  Thank God nobody was killed as a result of that outrageous, unnecessary stunt.  Someone should be fired over it, at the very least.)

Well, someone emailed me a story noting that CNN contributor John Campbell was a former FBI special agent and special assistant to James Comey, and an outspoken defender of the FBI and the Mueller investigation and a Trump critic.  That’s all true, as you can see from this op-ed he wrote for USA Today:

I made a mistake in my Twitter feed of referring to Campbell as the reporter on the scene, which he was not.  I got a ton of grief for that mistake, so I apologized and deleted the tweet – even though CNN admitted that the decision to stake out Stone’s house came from their entire “Russian investigation” team (note: none of the charges against Stone involve Russia), and since Campbell is part of their team, the fact that he wasn’t the guy who had to camp out all night tells us nothing either way about whether or not he got a tip from his inside FBI sources and passed it to CNN. It’s a distinction without a difference.  But I corrected it anyway.

Now that that’s cleared up, here’s a reminder of why all the attacks I received on Twitter didn’t bother me, and why they shouldn’t bother anyone else.

Sunday morning, I was honored to be a guest at the First Baptist Church of Dallas (their pastor, Robert Jeffress, will be a guest on my TBN show next weekend.)  In his sermon, which was on the corrosive effects of worrying, he mentioned the third Psalm.  In it, David wrote:

“Lord, how many are my foe!  How many rise up against me!  Many are saying of me, ‘God will not deliver him.”  But you, Lord, are a shield around me, my glory, the One who lifts my head high.  I call out to the Lord, and He answers me from His holy mountain.  I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the Lord sustains me.  I will not fear though tens of thousands assail me on every side.”

These are words that I wish everyone, especially teenagers who are often blocked from hearing the wisdom of the Bible, could hear and take to heart.  In the days of social media, we have so many trolls with soapboxes, ready to launch full-throated attacks on others from the comfort of their homes before they even know the facts (see last week’s attacks on the Covington Catholic school boys.)  The Internet gives them a microphone, and it’s amplified by lazy reporters, who fill out their word quotas by repeating quotes from anonymous Twitter trolls as if they represented the vast majority of Americans.  Many teenagers have suffered depression and even committed suicide from this kind of cyber-bullying.

I wish I could tell them all, both the victims and the irresponsible media members who enable this behavior, simply to press the “off” button and ignore it.  If we all did that, the trolls would lose their power.

Always remember, your life’s value will not be judged by pundits or celebrities, talk show hosts or snarky bullies on Twitter or Facebook.  You have a much higher judge than that.  If you live your life so that that judge will one day tell you, “Well done, good and faithful servant,” then the transient phony “outrage” of a baying social media mob should not concern you in the least.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

Idiotic Policy

• John WAYNE Hawk

02/09/2019 07:45 PM

tHE COMMENT BOX IS MESSED UP!

• Ruby Howell

01/30/2019 11:07 PM

Thank you for letting us know the real truth about the media events & what it is really about. Thanks

• Deborah Poteet-Johnson

01/30/2019 02:59 PM

Mike, you are so right about what you are saying re: the media and trolls on the social media! I can literally feel the pressure of spiritual warfare all around me, and it is so nice to see you bring your faith, and the importance of it, into the discussion. I speak with Christians all the time who simply do not realize the power we have in the LORD, and how much we need to use the weapons He has given us--especially the power of His Word. Another verse comes to my mind as I hear these reporters parroting the "talking points" of others: "Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools!"

• Ann Bouchard

01/30/2019 06:42 AM

This post was very comforting.

• Gayle Naborz

01/29/2019 11:21 AM

I appreciate you giving us the true reports of whT is hojng on. Really appreciate you giving scriptures.

• Kenneth Hadler

01/29/2019 10:55 AM

I believe there was NO LEAK to CNN about the early morning "arrest and search" of Roger Stone. It was probably a DIRECT CALL informing them of the upcoming event with an invitation to attend with cameras rolling.

• Carol Clark

01/29/2019 09:25 AM

I’m getting attacked more lately on Twitter bc I’m a Christian. I’m not backing off supporting and sharing the truth in love. It’s my heritage and the heritage of my forefathers and must be passed on whether it’s accepted or not. I love how you share bc I can’t watch all the news to keep up. I have not ever disagreed with you, bc what you are saying is God’s truth and it needs to be said. Thank you and I pray we will all be faithful to our Savior and Lord. He sacrificed everything for all of us.

• Janet Nuzum

01/29/2019 02:50 AM

Thank you for your faithfulness. It warms my heart knowing that you are out there relating the truth to us. No fake news in your words. May God continue to bless you and your words of truth.

• Robert Allen Roesing

01/29/2019 01:54 AM

I am tired of the democrats& their lying all the time !! TRUMP / pENCE ARE THE BEST OF THE LEADERS TO EVER HAVE BEEN ELECTED TO OFFICE PERIOD!!! Trump has done every thing He promised to do & much more all for the people of this country!!!! yes , I'm Voting for Trump again in 2020 as are all My friends here in Centerville, In. . I'M PRAYING FOR HIM TO WIN TOO!!! AS ARE MY FRIENDS,,,,WE KNOW HOW THE DEMORATS BEHAVE & DISTRUST ALL THAT THEY DO & SAY DAILY !!!! THEY HAVE NO HONOR PERIOD !!!! I THINK MOST OF THEM ARECOMMUNISTS IN THEIR BELIEFS!!!

• Eric Letts

01/29/2019 12:30 AM

You can bet C.N.N. was tipped off. I think it stinks, C.N.N. in my way of thinking is just a pack of lies.
    I think it is a waste of time watching their lies, when they first came out I liked them. I haven't watched
    them in years, I don't miss them either, if I want to watch the news I watch Fox news.

• Alan Erickson

01/28/2019 11:06 PM

The gestapo tactics of Mueller and the DA for the Southern District of New York are the hallmark of the deep state.

• Charles Teachout

01/28/2019 07:19 PM

Nevertheless, we are called by the Lord to be vigilant for these gratuitous attacks on those whom we love. We can rest only in Him as He guides us through each day of our lives. This is truly "peace of God that surpasses all understanding" of which you eloquently testify!

• Sharon Hayden

01/28/2019 07:10 PM

You are so correct Governor. May God bless you and your family.

• Stephen K Lentz

01/28/2019 06:30 PM

If this would have been done to a lib turd, all hell would break loose. BUT because the rinos have no balls, the jackasses will get away with it. And the rinos only allow it to happen because they hate Trump and are as corrupt and power hungry as the jackasses

• Sharon Craft

01/28/2019 05:46 PM

Are we living in Nazi Germany? I am appalled at this treatment of a US Citizen (who is not a criminal) just because he supports our elected President. ALL those who acted in this manner must be reprimanded!

• Joan Paup

01/28/2019 05:43 PM

You mention in today's post that some teenagers get depressed over FB and Internet bullying, etc. Mike, MANY of us get depressed to read every day of more vitriol and untrue words/actions against conservatives! There's no end to that it seems! What depresses me especially, is that NOTHING is done about it ..never a charge made and followed through! At least you, and others at Fox News...and Lindsey Graham seem to express much anger. Is there NO official with power who can launch serious efforts to punish these person s?? Thank you for your weekend TV show on TBN.... wouldn't miss it!!!

• Janis E Simon

01/28/2019 05:14 PM

Thank you for referring to Psalms 3, and not being ashamed of the gospel! I've believed that praying for the good for America is non-partisan. Hopefully Republicans and Democrats can seek God's face for that.

• Harold Carter

01/28/2019 05:09 PM

Governor, I try hard not to let them bother Me but it hurts when I hear Pelosi say things like. We Democrat’s do God’s work? Am I missing something. I am far from perfect and I don’t believe the Republican Party is our Savior. That was apparent in the last session of the house. But maybe you might explain to me how one can justify claiming to do God’s work when you pass laws to kill unborn babies? Or if they mess that up and the baby are born they kill them any way with no medical help. It makes me hate, and when I do that I’m not sure if I can say If I am any better than they. I pray to Jesus for forgiveness. God bless you. I watch your show and read your news letter. Thanks for your wisdom. It truly is a gift from God.

• Dan Barberree

01/28/2019 04:44 PM

Looks like Mueller's "Russia" investigation may go on indefinetly just nibbling around the edges. Maybe his game is to keep "investigating" to stay out of jail as long as possible himself.

• Rebecca Overton

01/28/2019 04:36 PM

Once again, outstanding and appreciated. I will repost this on my www.Gab.ai/Sorrel.com page (which I'd love to see you join) and of course acknowledge your authoring of the piece. Gab is a free speech, conservative (mostly) site!

• Karen McKee

01/28/2019 03:58 PM

Thank you so much for including the Psalm. I needed that. I'm going to print & put on my mirror. ??

• Susan Umbel

01/28/2019 03:48 PM

One of my personal favorites that never ceases to deliver me is this.....no weapon forged against you will prevail, and you will refute every tongue that accuses you. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord and this is their vindication from me, declares the Lord. Isaiah 54:17

God Bless you for all that you do!

Praying for your daughter too!

Suzie Umbel

• Carol Johnson

01/28/2019 03:47 PM

Thank you for words of wisdom. God bless you!!!

• Maureen Brose

01/28/2019 03:27 PM

I love the way you write. No matter the subject, it is NEVER depressing. And, bonus, there is always a chuckle imbedded in your message.

• Wayne B Persons

01/28/2019 02:54 PM

I enjoyed your twitter overview and completely agree with you. It's such a shame that social media takes so much time, creates so much negative in our world and it for the most part is nothing but hot air from people that need to actually get a life and a real job that is of benefit to humanity. Keep up the good work Mike.