Happy Thanksgiving

November 28, 2019

Happy Thanksgiving, America!  I hope you’re enjoying this most American of all holidays.  It dates back to the earliest American settlements, was first declared by President George Washington in 1789, "as a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favours of Almighty God," and set on the last Thursday in November by Abraham Lincoln.

Today, the best way I can think of for everyone to enjoy it is to turn off the news and not bring up politics over the turkey and dressing.  Ignore the impeachment and just concentrate on the peach cobbler. Trust me, your family members will be extra thankful for that.

Like many things that make America great, Thanksgiving is under assault by the left, from atheist groups railing against having a national holiday to thank God to leftwing “educators” who are trying to eradicate the Thanksgiving story from schools. Talking about the Native Americans helping the Pilgrims and the Pilgrims inviting them to a feast in gratitude implies that American history isn’t an endless litany of racist genocide and white supremacy, and they can’t have that.

But Thanksgiving is not only a time when we give thanks for our many blessings as Americans (this year, I am particularly thankful for the “mute” button on the TV remote control), it’s also a time when we gather together as families and get reacquainted with relatives we don’t see any other time of year.  That’s why on Thanksgiving, I always like to share the story of a very special relative from my childhood.  I usually saw him only once a year, but he taught me a lesson that helped make me what I am today and for which I still give thanks.

When I was a boy in Hope, Arkansas, one thing about the holidays I most looked forward to was the annual visit from my Uncle Garvin.  Garvin Elder was my mother’s half-brother from her dad’s first marriage, and so much older than her, he was like a grandpa to my sister and me.  He was an accountant and a lifelong bachelor from Houston, and he cut quite an impressive figure whenever he arrived by bus in Hope.

He owned stocks (I could hardly imagine such a thing!) and carried a real leather suitcase with travel tags, not like the cardboard suitcase we owned but never used.  And he wore a suit, tie and starched white shirt -- every day! In our town, if you saw a man in a suit, it could mean only one of two things: either it was Sunday, or he was going to or coming from a funeral.

Over the holidays, while my parents were at work, Uncle Garvin was the only adult in the house.  So when he wasn’t taking his daily unbreakable appointment with the “Perry Mason” rerun, I would constantly pester him to play checkers with me.  Now you must understand, this was in the days before self-esteem classes and helicopter parents.  Uncle Garvin didn’t realize how impolite, damaging, even psychologically traumatic and triggering it was to beat the daylights out of a sensitive young boy at checkers.  No, he played to win.  And he relished beating me…which he did, over and over and over.

Of course, I hated losing to him.  But that just made me want to challenge him again.  Over time, I gradually got better until I actually beat him occasionally.

Looking back now, I realize what a huge favor Uncle Garvin did for me by developing my competitive spirit.  These days, we’ve built a society of handwringers so afraid of hurting a child’s self-esteem that everyone gets a trophy just for showing up, no matter how poorly they perform.  We’ve taken away their incentive to work hard and get better.

This is the same mindset that’s given us incompetent CEOs who crash companies, then run to the government for a bailout because they’re “too big to fail.”  And idiots in government who bail them out with money they confiscate from hardworking taxpayers, because it’s “not fair” that some succeed when others don’t.  And who also think that "fairness" means taking money away from people who earn it and giving it to people who don't work but do vote.

Call me crazy, but I believe there’s something to be said for competition and for rewarding hard work, talent and intelligence. And there’s a lot to be said for the lessons learned and the character built through trying your best, losing and trying again.

So every Thanksgiving, when I’m giving thanks to God for my countless blessings, I include a little prayer of thanks for my Uncle Garvin…and for all those long-ago checker games that were so painful to lose at the time.

And of course, I’m thankful for all the folks who help me create my newsletters and website and my show on TBN, and all of you who read and watch.  I hope to be giving thanks for that for many Thanksgivings to come!

Idiotic Policy

Idiotic Policy

• Elaine Toledo

12/04/2019 08:16 PM

Honorable Mike Huckabee,
    Thank you so much for years of good common sense &
    Nostalgia! I thoroughly enjoy your daily emails with the
    Truth of our President & Country. Please continue your
    Good words. Thank you an appreciative reader.
    Elaine Toledo

• Suzanne Lair

12/01/2019 05:29 PM

Thankful for how you clearly articulate the truth!

• Keith Collins

12/01/2019 07:57 AM

Thank you for sharing memories like this. The world would be a better place if we could go back in time and live by principles that are just common sense. For every action there is a reaction. If the actions are good there are good reactions. If the actions are bad there are bad reactions. Personally, I would like to turn back time. A time where my Grandfathers had the same principles as your Uncle Garnin. Our world today is filled with so much hate and greed. We were taught as kids to love not hate. Taught to be competitive, help others, study hard, be a person of good character, and have respect for others. Again, thanks for sharing.
    Keith

• Deanna Steele

12/01/2019 12:41 AM

A great story about your Uncle Garvin. It reminded me about playing my mom in checkers & dominoes. She would always win. She was competitive (even with her daughter). I lost her almost two years ago. We talked about her on Thanksgiving and her competitive spirit, and how much we missed her. She lived to be 95, so there is something to what you were saying. My daughter-in-law asked to see her bible and posted about how worn it was and how much mom had written notes in it. So mom is talking to them yet through her bible. Love seeing you on FOX & TBN. I'm watching Judge Jeanine right now and she just interviewed your daughter, Sarah (love her). Sounds like you had some good pie for Thanksgiving. My mom was a great pie maker too. God Bless and Trump/Pence for 2020!!!

• Carl Smith

11/30/2019 07:58 PM

When Dad returned home from the Army Air Corp one of the earliest memories of traveling to Dad's hometown of Hartford AR was passing thru HOPE . Dad was making the trip in our 'New' 39 or 40 Plymouth running on MayPops and having "Another" flat tire. In my minds eye all I can remember was the Post Office and the 'bolders' that made up the roadbed. I was about 8 and the only other thing I can remember how Hot it was sitting in the back seat between Dad's two Sisters.

• Carl Smith

11/30/2019 07:46 PM

I am Thankful for having someone with a big enough megaphone to tell the American people the Truth. I pray for an intervention that causes the media to wake up to what they are destroying besides their credibility because it's apparent they are not intelligent enough to understand without a SIGN.

• Ann Andersen

11/30/2019 04:17 PM

I thank God for him bringing you into this world, being that you are a smart and caring person helping people to understand what is happening in the world around us and give us some direction.

Hope you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Again, God Bless you and your family. Hope to see you soon here
    In Okaloosa county.

• Margaret Lehman

11/30/2019 02:42 PM

I whole-heartedly agree with you. I had an uncle who was going to play a game with me. He asked my father, in front of me, if he should let me win. I was furious and refused to play with him then or ever again. When I had children, I told them that if and when they won, they would know it was for real. While they were learning, I went easier on them, but I still won. As they improved, I played harder. When they became fairly competent, I played my best. The other thing I taught them was to celebrate their winning, not to celebrate beating the other person. There is a big difference. There are a few people whose attitude is so bad that I do celebrate beating them, but that is a very seldom exception.

• Jorene Webb

11/30/2019 06:37 AM

God bless you and your family. Our family loves watching your show. We pray you will be on for many years to come and always love seeing you on Fox News. We do miss your daughter Sarah in the White House. She had the spunk and intelligence needed for a Press Secretary. Thank you for your delightful newsletters- we are grateful for them. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

• Ruth Bowman

11/30/2019 03:18 AM

Thanks so much for your Thanksgiving message. It was great to NOT hear what is happening in our country for a day at least. You tell like it is....where are all the others who should be telling like it is.
    Love your show. God Bless you and your family and give you many more years to share God's Word with the world.

• Patsy Prothro

11/29/2019 11:36 PM

Happy Thanksgiving to You and your family! You are a blessing to many of us.

• Gary Stilwell

11/29/2019 10:14 PM

I believe you have just described the essence of what it means to be "American" , and how a person gets to be counted as one----

• Linda G. Ross

11/29/2019 03:35 PM

Hope your family had a blessed Thanksgiving. As Americans, we have much to be thankful for. But as Christians, we have so much more to be thankful for and look forward to. God bless you as you continue to praise His name publicly.

• peter russo

11/29/2019 12:24 PM

Dear Mike, hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I really enjoy reading your letters keep up the good work. Sincerely, Peter G. Russo

• Pat cline

11/29/2019 10:46 AM

I thank God for your common sense, refreshing and uplifting out look. Thank you for your encouraging words. That at least one person can understand what is really happening.
    Blessings to you.

• Ken Evans

11/29/2019 10:24 AM

On your Thanksgiving message, Well said, Governor.

• James Merrifield

11/29/2019 10:13 AM

Happy thanksgiving Mike to you and your family. Thank you for what you do...

• Rick Stathis

11/29/2019 09:21 AM

Very good story about your Uncle, I am sure he is proud of what his nephew has accomplished!
    Love the TBN show!
    God Bless!

• Marchetta Beevers

11/29/2019 09:01 AM

Thank you for being YOU!!! and thank you for speaking on behalf of the silent majority. Our voice must be heard. We aren’t paid to protest... we don’t have time we’re busy working to pay for the government funded citizens and the illegals and the other countries who NEVER seem to understand tomorrow is coming, plant something!!! you are so loved... you and that magnificent Sarah.... thank you so much!!!??

• Jerry Korba

11/29/2019 08:13 AM

To the comment about the Left's ability to do 2 things at once it can't they can barely do one thing effectively. The GOP has to stop the saying' The Left does not want to give the President a Win. The correct slogan is the Left does not want America to win. For Example the Trade agreements sit on the desk of Pelosi while the President is trying to make more agreements with Japan and more countries around the globe. Its not just the agreement with our 2 neighbors,China is a big agreement that should be made. Make no mistake these countries want in; the other countries know that the Impeachment is a distraction and they use it as a bargaining chip the other countries know what fools the Left are. Capitalism will make other countries wealthier, who or what gets rich from socialism or Communist regimes? The globe needs a strong America and the Left wants to weaken it. The Left now is public enemy #1 to slow or stop America from being the Greatest ever. Its not about giving Trump a win Its about keeping AMERICA FROM WINNING!!. The Left wants a weaker America who benefits from a weak America the COMMUNIST? Oh how they would want this country China is trying to buy it from the Left. Many Lefties are gettin rich by selling America to China. The Media Hollywood Fienstien Pelosi and the rest of Left"s Mob Biden and Son Obama the list is very long.

• Dianne Bagdanskis

11/29/2019 08:02 AM

Wonderful article about great memories. Please keep us informed about what seems to be another less-than-honest Horowitz report. It appears the fix is in, and the Deep State is alive and well.

• Ernestine Scott

11/29/2019 07:53 AM

Amen to your Thanksgiving newsletter.
    Thank you.

• Knox Tabb

11/29/2019 06:19 AM

My father was the same as your Uncle. Grateful for his example. Hey, hope you will reach out to Dan Cathy as Franklin did.

• Karen Winkler

11/29/2019 05:29 AM

We love your show and very thankful for you and telling Americans the truth. God bless you and your family!

• Cynthia Wheeler

11/29/2019 04:19 AM

So refreshing to read of "common sense" & Thankfulness!!! Thank You & God Bless America!!!