The real reason Northam needs to go

February 5, 2019

At this writing (late Monday night), Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam is still clinging to office (he reportedly doesn’t want to leave when people think he’s a racist, a ship that’s likely sailed by now.)  I still contend that whether he is or isn’t in that racist yearbook photo, the real reason he’s not fit for office is being obscured: his comments defending not just late-term abortion but post-birth baby murdering.

For those who think I’m too diplomatic, here’s a very blunt piece by Charles Hurt at the Washington Times, on how Northam’s shocking comments ripped the mask of euphemisms off the Democratic Party’s “pro-choice/pro-woman” subterfuge to reveal that they have morphed into “the Party of Killing Children.”

But just as Democrats were fine with Northam endorsing infanticide today but not with a non-PC photo in his 40-year-old college yearbook, so his successor if he resigns is also suddenly facing a hot-button accusation from the past.

Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax is young, liberal, just as pro-abortion as Northam and African-American, so elevating him to Governor would seem to be a no-brainer for the left, and they obviously like those.  But there’s a problem: the same blog that found the Northam yearbook photo also reported an accusation by a female Stanford University fellow of sexual assault by a Democratic campaign staffer during the 2004 Convention.  Fairfax isn’t named, but the description of the accused then and now sounds like him.  Ironically, at that Convention, Fairfax was working as the “body man” (personal assistant) to John Edwards.

Fairfax claimed the incident consensual and denounced the assault allegation as a false smear.  He says the Washington Post investigated it last year but decided not to print it after finding no corroborating evidence, the facts consistent with his denial, and significant red flags and inconsistencies in the allegation (that didn’t stop them from running the Brett Kavanaugh allegations, but I digress.) The woman also reportedly didn’t tell the police, friends or family of any assault for all those years.

Fairfax aimed suspicions at Northam’s office, noting that the allegation hadn’t been brought up in 13 years until it looked as if he were just about to replace Northam as Governor, then it suddenly hit the media.

My reactions:  First, even though I’m sure my political views are diametrically opposed to those of Lt. Gov. Fairfax, I absolutely defend his right to a presumption of innocence.  I would hope that now that some of these long-ago, unsupported allegations are starting to harpoon their own side that Democrats would shake off the unfair and un-American notion that in the case of sexual assault, an allegation is as good as a conviction.

Second, I hope these cases would encourage real victims of sexual assault not to stay quiet about it.  Tell someone immediately.  Preferably the police, but if you can’t do that, then talk to friends, family or a counselor.  It will help you, and it will get your story on the record.

Third, I worry that allowing these types of last-minute, out-of-the-past, unsubstantiated allegations to torpedo people’s careers and trash their reputations is backfiring by insuring that many good people will refuse to run for public office for fear of having their lives destroyed and their families threatened.

Look, I wish to Heaven that Virginia had a pro-life Republican Governor (and New York and California, etc.)  But the way to do that is to convince the voters to come to their senses and show up at the polls.  Character assassination as a political tactic is bad for everyone in the long run.  It somehow manages to be both a two-way street and a dead end.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

Critics call declassification move "un-American"

Devin Nunes to Trump: Ask Theresa May about the spying

The "Gender Pay Gap"

• rodney Burke

02/07/2019 12:11 PM

the cowardice of the MSM on public display. Who CARES what he did in 1980? Coverup for what he does now and this man is a physician? really? Is he nuts?! I hate to ask. Yes, he should resign, he needs to go somewhere and get a moral compass. His doesn't work. A black face. Is this all the MSM has to worry about? Grow UP! Things like this are why DT won! people can't act like adults and live in the present. This is high school type pranks, Northam is HOW old?

Stupidity on public display. yeah judge him for his remarks on killing a newborn. fire him for that. When it comes to dems NOTHING is unbelievable anymore. They seem to thrive on the outrageous, impossible, irrational and utterly morally bankrupt! yeah, the phrase, "Is there where we are as a nation?" sadly seems fitting!

• rodney Burke

02/07/2019 12:02 PM

Yep the REAL reason. Advocating out in the open for the murder of a new born? OMG. Do NOT have mercy on his soul, he doesn't have one or it long ago was seared over with a hot iron. I Tim 4:5. This is the war Dan Bongino talks about. People who are devoid of a moral compass. He and Cuomo should become a pariah to American society but until we CURE the disease of moral bankruptcy... Yep there are those who are right and we now have proof. Socialism leads to communism which leads to Godlessness. For Cuomo, and Northam, they skipped directly to godlessness. It is past time to say "No more. This is NOT who we are."

• Susan Kelberlau

02/07/2019 11:35 AM

I would love to see someone place all these accusations and allegations side-by-side with the nonsense brought against Justice Kavanaugh! Sounds like the standard was set by Democrats and now they will either reveal that they're hypocrites or be forced to maintain that standard against their own

• Marc Thomas

02/06/2019 11:00 PM

I appreciate your comments on topics like this. They are a breath of fresh air. I wonder if you have ever considered in attending some of Krisanne Hall’s seminars. Here is her website: http://krisannehall.com/. Please feel free to look through it and see what you think of her.

• Kevin Schwinkendorf

02/06/2019 06:04 PM

Anyone who advocates killing babies after they are born are no better than Nazis, who advocated the same sort of thing: euthanasia for the mentally handicapped, as well as various other "undesirable" people (including Jews). "Post-birth" abortion OBVIOUSLY has no basis in "protecting the health of the mother," as they are two separate beings by that time. No, a newborn baby isn't "viable," but I don't believe Ocasio-Cortez is intellectually "viable" either. I'm not alone in my opinion. When this first hit the news, I watched Judge Jeanine Pirro, and she referred to Northam as "Governor Mengele." I agree.

• Janice Schaefer

02/06/2019 08:24 AM

What happened to the Hippocratic Oath of "Do no harm"? It seems to me there is NOTHING more harmful than being murdered just after you have been born.

• Sherry Stone

02/06/2019 07:38 AM

I love reading your posts because I know you stand for God. God will not Bless America as it stands today. I can only say “God Save America”. Thank you Governor Huckabee

• Glenda Aycock

02/05/2019 01:15 PM

Mike, I truly appreciate you sharing your knowledge and helping me understand more about politics. It gets so complicated sometimes and I can't help but wonder why it has to be. It seems as though it is a deliberate tactic, used to confuse the average person so the underlying agenda will get approved with all of its' loopholes and benefits to a select few. I love my country and the democracy it was established to be, but politics has become a way to gain power and wealth, rather than a way to serve the citizens who pay their salaries. We desperately need TERM LIMITS!

• Dawn Street

02/05/2019 12:59 PM

Last night the woman's name was revealed along with her story of the assault. She said she had been dealing unsuccessfully with her feelings about the assault for 13 years when she decided she had to come clean and talk about it. But nobody was interested in hearing about her assault by a rising star in the Democrat Party (DemonRat), but when she learned he was about to become governor of Virginia, she could no longer be silent and she found someone who would listen and get her story out. I can't recall her name but I saw her picture and information on Twitter from FB. Interesting times in old Virginny!!

• Barbara Miller

02/05/2019 12:41 PM

Governor Huckabee,

If Northam needs to go, and I agree he does (along with Como and other governors that believe in the terrible abortion law) then the country and both parties have to push for Representatives from Detroit and Minnesota to be removed. They are the two Muslim women who are anti-semitic. It is not their religion that bothers me, it is the fact that one puts Palestines ahead of Americans and is anti Israel and the other is just blatantly anti semitic. It angers me to see these women be put on powerful committees where they can spread their anti semitism. So if Northam is forced out those two should be forced out also. Anti semitism is rising in this country, and as a Jew it scares me a lot. No one in either party including the President has spoken out about this. It is bad enough watching what is happening in Western Europe, but to see it happen in America is distressing.
    Sincerely,
    Barbara Miller
    P.S. I love watching your daughter put down the press!!!! Tell her we think she is doing a great job.....

• Phyllis Cavender

02/05/2019 10:57 AM

Dear Governor Huckabee:
    THANK YOU for your wisdom! I love you! I learn so much from you, thank you for sending informative emails to us laymen. This country needs truth and wisdom and information. TOO MANY people are UNread and have no idea what the dems/liberals/socialists are up to. Our country cannot continue on the road it's currently on and people like you are desperately needed. I believe God is using you to help stop the madness.

Thank you and GOD BLESS YOU MIGHTILY!
    Phyllis Cavender