A sharp letter from reader Al P. will serve as a great introduction to today's story:

"Great summary [on AG Barr's appointment of U.S. Attorney John Durham]. But one point about Durham is missing. [It] Glossed over his work on the Bulger case. He prosecuted and convicted FBI hot shots who had protected a criminal. And who was heading the Boston office at the time? Mr. Robert Mueller.

"If you are picking Durham, you are sending a very clear shot that you mean business. You're aiming to prosecute FBI/DOJ hot shots who went after the President after protecting a criminal. (And Mueller's peeps are knee deep in it.)

"Oh, and Durham is already confirmed to be investigating former FBI Chief Counsel James Baker's leaking. So Durham has already been involved in this Russia Hoax nonsense for a long while.

"William Barr is not playing games. The bad guys know it. The selection of Durham proves it."

From the Gov:

Thanks, so much for writing, Al. Your thoughts coincide with those of my research team, as we were already set to go with the very connection you have made. Yes, Robert Mueller was in charge of the Boston field office that Durham investigated for its handling of the “Whitey” Bulger case, and the significance of that is not lost on us. When Mueller was first appointed special prosecutor and getting praised to the skies for being so honest and above-board and all, it seemed obvious to us that his ardent fans and promoters were overlooking what had gone on in that office. But Durham knows better than anyone about that, and he’s bound to be aware of exactly what he is dealing with now.

More on Durham in a moment. To update John Solomon’s story on State Department official Kathleen Kavalec’s notes on the problematic meeting she’d had with Christopher Steele, he’s got more specifics on that today. We know Kavalec, in October of 2016 –- just over a week before the FISA application was made to spy on Carter Page –- emailed her information to Special Agent Stephen Laycock, who at the time was the section chief for Eurasia inside FBI counterintelligence, the division that was conducting the Russia investigation. (He’s still there, by the way, as Director Chris Wray’s assistant director for intelligence.) Solomon’s sources told him that Laycock immediately forwarded the information to the team running that investigation –- Peter Strzok’s team. It was their responsibility to check that out before going ahead with their FISA warrant application, but, obviously, they didn’t. Much more at the link...

Also, it’s starting to look as though Steele may have had little to do with actually writing the “dossier.” That work of fiction may have come primarily from the imagination of Fusion GPS co-founder Glenn Simpson with help from Russia specialist Nellie Ohr, who was working for Fusion as a researcher. Of course, Nellie Ohr just happened to be the wife of Bruce Ohr, who just happened to be fourth in command at the Justice Department. Unbelievably, Steele was working as an informant for the FBI while also being paid as a researcher by Fusion GPS, the firm hired by Hillary’s campaign and the DNC (same thing) to dig up dirt connecting Trump with Russia.

As for Durham, we hear that he has already been working for weeks, perhaps months, “on background” to piece together information on the investigation of Trump’s campaign. As a sitting U.S. attorney, he has the authority to work with a grand jury and issue subpoenas; that’s an investigative tool Inspector General Michael Horowitz has not had. Horowitz also has been confined to questioning current government officials, not those outside government or former employees, but Durham has no such limitation. According to Joe diGenova, Durham has already obtained documents and talked with the intel people.

And, yes, it does appear that Durham has already been involved in an inquiry into Jim Baker’s alleged leaking, although some people connected with the case are saying this particular probe has nothing to do with Russia or the Steele dossier.  At any rate, he knows the territory.

AG Barr is also coordinating with the CIA director and the DIR (director of national intelligence). The way it looks to DiGenova is that this group is now “focused like a laser” on a conspiracy centered around ex-CIA head John Brennan and the Democratic National Committee. “This is very serious business,” he told Laura Ingraham on Tuesday evening, “and for the first time, I now believe that some of these guys are going to go to prison.”

And, wow, Brennan is on the offensive, telling the willing dupes on MSNBC that the warrant application “went through a rigorous due process within the Department of Justice and the FBI. It was approved by the FISA court. It went through all of those steps...What they’re trying to do is to uncover something that they will misrepresent as being part of this ‘deep state’ effort to try to undermine Donald Trump’s election.”

No, Mr. Brennan. That is bunk. The application did NOT go through “all those steps.” One of the steps is VERIFICATION. Yet the information in the FISA warrant to spy on Carter Page was not verified. And the FBI chose not to disclose that it KNEW Steele was trying to keep Trump from getting elected, instead crafting a cover story in a convoluted footnote about the Steele dossier that disguised the truth. That much we know, Mr. Brennan. We have a lot of other pieces, too, thanks to watchdog groups such as Judicial Watch, investigative reporters such as John Solomon, and Republican committee members such as Mark Meadows, Jim Jordan and Devin Nunes. Now Durham gets to dig for the rest of it and put it all together.

Those who complain about “the investigations of the investigations” are either ignorant of how things work or are lying, too. (Many of them, ironically, have no problem with 81 congressional subpoenas and other examples of unending legal harassment by Jerry Nadler and friends.) Durham’s investigation is the only one that has prosecutorial power. As I pointed out yesterday, it was undertaken because Barr suspects something CRIMINAL took place. So taking this step is absolutely appropriate. Tom Fitton, for one, is ready to see some prosecutions, sooner rather than later…

I’m hopeful that Barr will also get to the bottom of the story George Papadopoulos is telling, both in interviews and in his new book DEEP STATE TARGET, about what he says was an attempted frame-up by agents who gave him $10,000 cash in Greece for a purported business deal, apparently assuming he would carry it home undeclared on his flight back to Dulles Airport. Papadopoulos, who had served as a foreign policy adviser for the Trump campaign, was met at his destination by agents who rummaged through his bags and were set to arrest him. This took place after Mueller had been appointed special counsel.

Fortunately, he hadn’t gotten on the plane with the cash; he’d been suspicious of the source of the money and had left it with an attorney in Greece before returning to America. But this is just one example of what appears to have been undercover agents using Papadopoulos, who is now calling on Barr and the Justice Department to look into what happened to him, and even to examine the money.

Someday, there’s going to be a huge blockbuster movie about all this. Of course, knowing Hollywood, they’d change the plot so that all the bad guys were...RUSSIANS! Somehow, all this would have to do with Russians helping Trump win –- nobody said the plot had to make sense –- and keeping Hillary from fulfilling her destiny as the first woman President of the United States. Ironically, if Hillary HAD won the election, we would never have known about any of this, and the bureaucratic power machine would have become even stronger.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• Linda Olds

05/17/2019 10:44 AM

I enjoy your newsletter; it's a great way to get the important news of the day.
    It's interesting to see bits of interviews on liberal media, and in newspapers, see how they spin everything to be anti-Trump.
    The bad guys are already turning on each other; it's funny but also sickening to listen to Comey.

• Robin Gonsalves

05/17/2019 06:43 AM

If mueller was in charge of the Boston field office and Durham was investigating wrong doing there what happened to mueller? He is supposed to know what his men are doing and literally responsible for their actions.
    I have a bad feeling about this. Mueller and John Kelly or Kerry go way back to their college days and both are very corrupt! One goes to Russia to drop off sample for Hillary and the other goes behind our backs to keep the Iran deal for our illegal muslim Kenya born oreo with the first man First Lady, moochelle!
    I’d like to know how far back mueller and Durham go after the Boston incident...
    I hope I’m just being overly paranoid but my spider senses are going off!

• Ron Case

05/16/2019 11:58 AM

Thanks for your informative newsletter Mike. I don't know what would we do without people like you who are searching for the honest truth and telling it like it is. We'd have to rely on the liberal media and their fake news narratives - how scary. Keep up the good work!

• mark hamler

05/16/2019 10:09 AM

Mike; I'm writing not because of the FBI story although it is indeed a deep subject, I'm writing due to Rashide Tlaib and her statements.
    I live in Michigan on the other side of the state. So I do not live in her district, We on this side are ashamed of what we are hearing from one of our own. We want to try and understand how her district feels regarding her statements. Do they support her or are they ashamed, they are the one's who voted her into office and they are the one's she must answer to. What are they saying in there coffee shops, in the town hall meetings, at the work place. Will they support her in the election. This is what we would like to hear more of all across the great country of ours. Are there stats on how districts feel towards the way congress men vote from within there own districts.

• Linda Orf

05/16/2019 07:19 AM

I cannot understand why these corrupt attorneys have not had their licenses revoked after that class act. I know Weissman (the pit bull) was one of them. He too was on Muellers team this go round. Maybe justice will prevail this time. The only thing that will discourage further corruption is to make an example of the corrupt and pull their licenses. Perhaps AG Barr will refer them to the “bar”.

• Carol Mathews

05/15/2019 10:29 PM

Mueller is still going to be dirty, don't know where, what or how but if they keep digging it is going to be found. Only reason he kept the "witch hunt" going so long was hoping against hope that he would find something on Trump so no one would keep looking into uranium, his time in the FBI. The picture of him with Obama and Hillary sitting together tells more.

• Anita Mae Barker

05/15/2019 09:58 PM

HALLELUJAH for A. J. BARR..... Blessings to him.

• Daniel Page

05/15/2019 08:23 PM

That was a great commentary. I am really fired up now. Hope something really big happens.

• Waylon Bush

05/15/2019 07:18 PM

For the longest time, I have been extremely skeptical about any of those attempting to take Trump from office of being investigated, charged, tried, much less, punished. I still am. But may I say, I truly, truly, truly, hope that one day in the future, Governor Huckabee will send me an email that states what an idiot I was to entertain such thoughts. What a wonderful day that would be! The Republic would live on! If that doesn't happen, I fear for my children and grandchildren.

• MICHAEL LONG

05/15/2019 06:38 PM

IF DURHAM HAS A GRAND JURY MAYBE,,, maybe something will be done and some will go to jail. if no grand JURY its a joke like the house and senate hearings.. YOU MAY STILLED BE HOOKED UP WITH FOX BUT I DO NOT TUNE INTO FAX MUCH ANYMORE THE LEFTY OWNERS HAS GONE TO THE DARK SIDE.. WATCH O A N..

• Jim Mackay

05/15/2019 06:04 PM

God bless you for all the good work you report on to prosecute the Deep State traitors who attempted a coup against our duly elected President. Justice is mine says the Lord but we are getting additional help from patriotic Americans.

• Floyd Kimmel

05/15/2019 04:51 PM

I sure hope AG Barr and his appointee Durham start flipping over the right
    rocks looking for information be fun watching the rats run and turn on each other.

• Ron Mullins

05/15/2019 04:25 PM

Great news and newsletter....Tell Al P. thanks for the very encouraging info...Some of us were worried that the Dims had gained such control of the agencies that the criminals were all going to skate....I do not want to debate those who say TRUMP represents a divine intervention....He is the right man at a turning point in history....I'm way in the fourth quarter and in my life if I have learned one thing for sure it is that arrogance is a killer....They bought their own press clippings and thought they had the election and the country in the bag...It is a wonder we don't have a picture of TRUMP holding a newspaper with the same message as "Give em hell" Harry's awesome picture....Keep up the good work Mr. Huckabee....

• jim hanlon

05/15/2019 04:10 PM

was whitey bulger killed because he was going to tell all, after all mueller was head of the fbi in boston while there were many murders committed by the bulger crime family. billy bulger was senate president in mass. at the time.. hmmm

• Timothy Ward

05/15/2019 04:01 PM

Mr. Huckabee

We applaud Alabamas vote to end abortion. However I thought the Supreme Court in its Roe Vs, Wade decision gave the states the right to decide when life actually begins.

Thus couldn't Alabama make that distinction that life begins st conception or the first detectable sign of a heart beat in their bill to avoid that confrontation at the Supreme Court ?

Kind Regards

Timothy M Ward

• Thomas Wenndt

05/15/2019 03:36 PM

Good article. But I'm sorry - I REFUSE to believe even one of these crooks are going to get so much as an unpaid parking ticket fine for this. With Democrats in Congress protecting every flank they can, and the media carrying the water, no jury will ever be convened that will contain 12 people who care about the law. If even one Trump-hater gets on the jury, the case is dismissed.

It needs to happen and it should happen. But pardon my pessimism - I'll believe it when I see it.

• Joseph

05/15/2019 03:12 PM

Could this be the real reason the left took Killary's loss so hard because they knew their corrupt dealings would eventually come to light? This would be a great movie but your right Hollywood would change the entire story to make Trump and conservatives the bad guys. Democrats will most likely re-write history also so all the crooks are made out to be the real good guys who were just trying to save America from the evil Right.

• Carolyn J Blue

05/15/2019 02:38 PM

This is such great news! I hope all of the truth regarding these criminal players, including Obama and Hillary, is brought to light and all involved are prosecuted and sent to prison SOONER rather than later. No Statute of Limitations involved!!!

• Lauri Norris

05/15/2019 02:25 PM

I would guess they were banking on her winning, therefore banking on none of this coming to light. I am SO thankful Trump won, and I’m SO thankful there are people getting on it finally. I would love to see them all go down, including the Clintons and Obama, but somehow I think they are protected. They manage to get away with so much and never be held accountable. So many others that need to be caked to the carpet, and I’m anxious to see it unfold. Mueller, Sztrok, Page, Nadler, Warren, Baker, Ohr...oh the list is so long I can’t even think of them all! Thankful to see Barr on the case and his appointment of Durham.

• Stephen V. Skystimas

05/15/2019 02:25 PM

Excellent commentary! Thanks for breaking this all down for us! -Steve S.

• Steven J Fuller

05/15/2019 02:21 PM

I pray verifiable, factual, documented solid evidence is presented to a grand jury and official charges made public occur before the 2020 elections that reveal the roles certain officials in the Democratic Party played in this whole illegal fiasco.

• Robbie Mize

05/15/2019 02:21 PM

I will give this a try ...again...somehow I think my comments never get past the "board". :) . I read your newsletters and pretty much depend on what you say Governor Huckabee, to know what is happening. I gave up on news outlets long ago. My TV is quiet the larger part of the day.....(maybe I will watch Wheel of Fortune) since we all know that Pat Sajak is a rare star conservative. Everyday, I just pray that somewhere, somehow, an honest and truthful human being will get to the bottom of the swamp, ferret out the truth and help bring this country back to sanity again.....because I fear the future for my grandchildren if do not. Maybe, just maybe, this is the beginning.

• Mike Miller

05/15/2019 02:20 PM

I am so excited to see this stuff finally hit the fan! Praise the Lord for Judicial Watch, which has uncovered much of this. I look forward to the investigations of the Clintons -- but it make take longer than two years to complete because there could potentially be a LOT of indictments to come from a thorough investigation of Bill & Hillary and 'sweet innocent' Chelsea..

• Anne Fernandes

05/15/2019 02:11 PM

This I know: God is truth, God demands truth, and those of us who follow Him have been praying for the deceit of these deviant actions to be revealed, made clear, with logical (yes, logical) consequences to follow. Our faith, His truth, and our country, its citizens and its freedoms are at stake. Let these investigations be fruitful, and while You're at it, Lord, lead the liars to TRUTH, and Jesus. Cannot forget to pray for their salvation!!!

• TOMMIE CLARK

05/15/2019 02:10 PM

i hope we get to the bottom of this i'm tired of the democrats walking all over us with stupid shit