Evening Edition - September 7

Less than 5 minute read

September 7, 2019

The only thing Democratic Presidential hopefuls apparently won’t ban is themselves using private jets to fly around and tell the rest of us we have to live like the Flintstones to save the planet.  But as always with leftist elites, there are many reasons why their crushing policies should apply to us hoi-polloi but not to important people like them.

According to Pete Buttigieg (and I don’t mean to pick on him, but he just keeps making outrageously arrogant statements that perfectly encapsulate the attitudes of the entire field), he has to fly on private jets to campaign because “America is a very big country” and he has to visit all the states.  But he can’t understand why we aren’t subsidizing trains because “trains are a lot easier to power on a green basis because they run on electricity."

Wow, so much flapdoodle to unpack in what, in typical liberal fashion, he calls “common sense.”  But here goes:

1. Long-haul trains in the US don’t run on electricity, they run on diesel fuel, which all the Democrats plan to ban.  To convert long-distance trains to high-speed electric would require massively expensive (and CO2-emitting) construction of specialized tracks and power stations.  Also, the electricity has to be generated by something.  The only reliable power source that doesn’t generate CO2 is nuclear, which – say it with me – Democrats will ban.

2.  The fact that America is a “very big country” is a major reason why train travel is not a feasible option. Trains require laying tracks between every point on the trip, including over vast mountain ranges. Even the fastest are considerably slower than air travel, and after a long trip, you’ll still probably be miles from where you need to go.  There’s a saying about trains: “Cars take you where you want to go. Trains take you where the train tracks go.”

3.  We do subsidize trains. It's called Amtrak, and it costs all taxpayers about $1.4 billion a year, even though it serves only about 31.7 million passengers a year out of a nation of 327 million. Although it reaches 46 states, most of its riders are in the densely-populated Northeast, where it doesn’t take days to get from one city to the next. Amtrak has been described by critics as a “mobile money-burning machine.”

4.  As for subsidizing the building of new high-speed rail, I refer you to the so-called “train to nowhere,” the plan to build a line between L.A. and San Francisco, which as of last February was 13 years behind schedule and $44 billion over budget.  Gov. Gavin Newsom blasted it as costing too much and taking too long.  It just might be the only government boondoggle so bad that even Gavin Newsom recognizes how awful it is.

5. Sorry you have to visit all the states to talk to voters to get elected President.  Is that why Democrats want to abolish the Electoral College?

6. This isn’t a factual correction, but it’s instructive to note the way the question was phrased.  CNN’s Chris Cuomo said that critics might shake their finger at Buttigieg, and he responded that “the right loves to sink their teeth into anything we say.” Note how the onus is put on the mean questioners for daring to bring up the subject.  If Buttigieg were a Republican, the question would be, “Why are you such a big hypocrite?”

7.  Finally, note that he never actually answered the question, which wasn’t about trains, it was about why he has to take private jets.  Might I humbly suggest that he try flying commercial, the way I do, which has far lower CO2 emissions per passenger.  He could start by flying home to South Bend, Indiana, and figuring out how to run his own city before trying to run the entire country or telling the rest of us how to run our lives or interpret the Bible.

--------------------------------

I don’t know if you’ve been keeping up with this ridiculous story about President Trump and the Sharpie pen and the hurricane map and the media hysteria over whether, after the collapse of “Russian collusion” and every other charge, this could finally be the scandal that brings down the Administration, but there are only three things I have to say about it:

1. NOAA has issued a statement backing Trump: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/weather-officials-say-dorian-could-have-impacted-alabama-as-trump-said

2. Trump has found a way to make money off it while infuriating his critics:

3. I get that some people are suffering from terminal Trump Derangement Syndrome and think they have to rail about Trump 24/7. But rescuers are still pulling bodies from wreckage in the Bahamas and trying to help desperate people who’ve lost everything, so pardon me if I have ZERO patience left for your idiotic political sniping. For once in your empty, shallow lives, put your TDS on the back burner and try to focus your attention on what’s actually important, and that’s thousands of suffering hurricane victims, not a week-old incorrect weather map.

---------------------------------

Dispatches from the Land of Wokeness: Will Witt of Prager University went to a trendy L.A. neighborhood and asked people to sign a petition to protect eagle eggs because baby eagles in the egg “have rights, too.” Many gladly signed, with one woman explaining that “eagles are people, too.”

Then, he asked them to sign a petition to protect human babies in the womb. Oh, no way! They’re totally pro-abortion!

So to sum up: to today’s liberals, pre-born eagles have rights and should be protected because they’re like people. But preborn people have no rights and can be killed with impunity.

I think I can understand why “Think Progress” went out of business due to the shortage of modern progressives interested in thinking.

• William Schlumpf

09/09/2019 06:04 PM

Sorry, Cheryl Smith-Bell

• William Schlumpf

09/09/2019 06:03 PM

To Cheryl Bell Smith: locomotives are indeed propelled by electric traction motors which provide the locomotive with superior traction and acceleration and eliminate the need for transmission gearing. Resistance circuits in the upper part of the locomotive (where the fans are), also provide dynamic braking which help stop the train. GM demonstrated the concept in 1939 with its Electromotive FT powered by the Kettering designed 567 two cycle prime mover, an improved version of Kettering's earlier Winton 201A diesel electric configuration of 1935. When GM sent it around the country for railroads to try, it wasn't quite sure what it had. The FT had brought the steam era to an end delayed only by the advent of WWII and the wartime edict that all further development of locomotives be suspended for the duration. When the war ended, steam was obsolete and the big steam locomotive manufacturers never were able to catch GM's lead.

• Sandra Altman

09/08/2019 04:23 PM

Love ?? your newsletter! Truth spoken accurately, plainly and with humor!

• Cheryl Smith-Bell

09/08/2019 02:06 PM

Sorry to correct you, but train engines are electric, and the diesel engine on the train is what generates the power for the electric motor. It takes a lot of diesel to keep that train running. Not sure what the point of an electric motor is, but you check the facts. Not an expert, but this is what I've been told.

• John Parker

09/08/2019 12:19 PM

I continue to make critical comments on your site even though I know you delight in bringing out the worst in people, just like your friend, Laura Ingraham. The only difference is that you're supposed to be a Christian. REPENT!

• amos kalicharan

09/08/2019 12:18 PM

point out the Florida mayor who prayed in Jerusalem before the storm and the abrupt turning away of the storm from Florida
    That was an answer to King Solomon prayer at the dedication of the first Temple
    Part of the prayer is found in ! King 8: 41 - 43

• Francis Xavier Rullan

09/08/2019 09:30 AM

Why Lord... why are the points so truthfully expressed here not accepted by all Americans readily? Will those who choose ignorance ever just say no to their foolishness? Thank you for Mike. May your words always be stronger than those who oppose you and the Lord's worthiness.

• Patrick Vye

09/08/2019 06:41 AM

I’m an evangelist and a Trump voter. But Trump as the ‘second coming of God’ is blasphemous.

Since President Trump’s election, many in the evangelical community have lauded him, grateful for his work to protect and propel some of the Christian values we hold so dear. The support has been unwavering, as he enjoys high marks from about 70 percent of evangelicals, many of whom are so concerned with protecting their rights and key issues that they don’t want to do anything that might jeopardize that support for Trump and cause people to vote against him.

But perhaps one of Trump’s most disturbing steps came Wednesday, when the president, who claims to be a Christian, tweeted quotes of and therefore validated radio host Wayne Allyn Root’s words that “the Jewish people love [Trump] … like he’s the King of Israel. They love him like he is the second coming of God.”
    Christians believe and profess that the only true “King of Israel” is God, as clearly stated in Isaiah 44:6, and that he sent his son, Jesus Christ, the Messiah, into this world. That makes the description of Trump as “the second coming of God” shocking, blasphemous and sacrilegious.

The silence from my fellow evangelical colleagues, ministry partners and friends that has followed is deafening. Many of them refuse to call out moral failures on the right that they have so vehemently attacked on the left.

In the evangelical community, we have come to incorrectly believe that any critique of Trump only serves to promote the party on the left. But embracing critiques proves we are objective, not blind to the flaws in political parties or our presidents.

Trump is neither the “Second Coming of God” nor the “Messiah.” In repeating the profane quote, he gave a narcissistic endorsement and even thanked Root, a well-known conspiracy theorist, for his words.

Messianic claims are dangerous, because God does not share glory with anyone.

Another historic leader, Herod Agrippa — the king of Judea after Jesus’ death, from 41 to 44 A.D. — once found himself in a similar situation. In the New Testament chapter of Acts 12, Herod was called “God.” Herod’s response? He took credit. The Lord’s response? He sent an angel to kill Herod. In Herod’s case, the Bible doesn’t say he repeated the title — only that he allowed it to be spoken. Perhaps the president can learn from Herod’s mistake.

I am a conservative evangelical who cast my vote for Trump for the very same reason many other evangelicals did: his conservative stance on issues concerning abortion and religious freedom. I visited Washington last October for a briefing at which faith leaders listened to White House officials address many policy issues.

Christians cannot proclaim their morals, family values and faith, then sit down when such values are tainted and misrepresented by the very leaders we say we support. Imagine for one minute if President Barack Obama had made similar claims during his administration. The reaction would be quite different.

Inconsistency is at least one reason I hear a growing antagonism toward evangelicals. As a full-time evangelist traveling all over the United States, I find it increasingly obvious that many people legitimately see evangelicals as hypocrites. Why? Because too often, we dismiss or excuse every indiscretion of the president by approving his other accomplishments.

Being fair and equitable does not mean simply applauding what many of us endorse about Trump, including his stance on abortion, his promotion of freedom of religion, his appointment of conservative judges and his aggressive support for Israel. We must also vocally denounce his blatantly egregious actions, including not only Wednesday’s tweets but also his consistently negative interactions and dialogue with people of different races, genders and ethnicities.

As evangelicals, we have taken a hard line on conservative values, but we have also been moving our standards to fit our narrative. If we are going to condone or condemn certain actions, policies or behaviors coming from the current administration, then we had better be ready to do the same with the next president.

Otherwise, we will continue to lose credibility and display a polluted brand of Christianity that is word without deed — completely unlike that of the true Messiah we claim to follow.

• Patrick Vye

09/08/2019 06:34 AM

Rev Huckabee, I see that I've been restricted from posting articles on your FB blog. Quite a believer in the free exchange of ideas and supporter of our American and Christian ideals? A supporter of hearing both Christian, and non-Christian viewpoints by folks on the left and on college campuses? But offended by hearing Christian writers, who are led by the Holy Spirit, publishing and posting articles that are contrary to your viewpoint! Quite a contradiction. Be prepared to be amazed--someday you will stand amazed in relation to the Truth and your devotion to Donad Trump. But I understand you know it in your heart already! You betray yourself to your God. Never a good idea! ??

• Liliana Medhurst

09/08/2019 05:13 AM

God bless you Mike Huckerbee thank you for your sanity when all around are losing theirs.
    I look forward each day to reading the truth in your letter so that l can be set free. Eventhough l live in Australia l am totally encouraged by what you write and Praise God that you do write the truth even though at this stage the Left is caught in illusion.
    Am praying for the scales to come off their eyes .Someone should ask these caring Pro Choices so what exactly happens when a baby is aborted. I think they believe its like the tooth fairy something magical happens and the baby disappears
    Once the truth is out there the Emperor will be found to be wearing no clothes and it will not be a pretty sight .
    Bless you Liliana

• John Eckenrod

09/08/2019 05:01 AM

Mike, your wit has never been more Sharpie. Umm, I mean sharp.
    And these ninnies who need to Amtrak against Trump 24/7 - they haven't burned out yet but the rest of us did, pronto quickie 2 years ago.
    The hypocrisy is so thick with the Dems, the Green New Deal is the color of their faces. Keep going Mike!
    We need your insight and your clean energy!

John E.

• Patty Smith

09/08/2019 04:34 AM

Your newsletter is helpful for me to understand what is going on. I don’t watch the news because I don’t know what is true and what is fake. Thanks for keeping up. Otherwise I would be in the dark. And I faithfully watch you on TBN every weekend.

• Nancy (NAN) Isaacson

09/08/2019 12:30 AM

Right On, Gov,
    Did you know that Senator Ted Cruz wanted Term Limits to become a law. It is long overdue!
    Thanks for all your input. I send it out to dozens of friends and family that do not watch your show..What a pity?
    Keep talking, and keep praying. We want our country BACK!

• michael weems

09/08/2019 12:15 AM

I've been thinking about this for a long time. I guess, tonight is just the time I feel I need to get it off my mind. I can't express in words, how grateful I am for Mr. Huckabee. I would have voted for him had he ever gotten to the top spot. His insight into things, and how he shares his thoughts on these things is, A BLESSING! You need to hear most of it with a little humor, or you'll cry all day. The majority of his listeners, like myself, are going to hunt down the truth, research and try to figure what the heck is happening. It's just so great to have Mike simplify things and give you the real meaning of what's going on. I don't think I've ever disagreed with his insights or thoughts. I'd say we need more people like him speaking out, but I get negative and figure most of the ones we need to reach, aren't listening, but as Mike has stated, we do seem to be winning the battle, ever so slowly. Trumps current support numbers from the Black and Hispanic community's seem to be growing. O.K., all that said, just to affirm that I am a major fan of Huckabee. Here's my problem. It really upset's me when I see him walk across that stage, overweight as he is. Doesn't he understand we need him next year and the years after. His overweight problem could put him out of business any day. He knows that? Liberals see the facts and still want accept them and keep on their destructive path. I'm sure Mike knows the facts about problems related with overweight, so is he any better than those liberals that want react and accept the facts. Why doesn't he show his understanding and get that death fat off? I knew Jerry Clower. He was normal size, maybe a little pudgy when he became a star, but look at his life. He could and should be around today, blessing us with all those funny stories he could tell. Yes, we his paying public are without his humorous inputs, but it's his family, wife, daughter and son that really have taken the hit for his refusal to control his weight.
    We need Mike Huckabee to be around, but not as "AROUND" as he is now. He may never walk that stage and look like Carson, but I hope and pray he does take his problem seriously and start trimming down! We don't need him following the footsteps of Jerry Clower.
    "Eat to live, not live to eat"!!

• Louise Williams

09/07/2019 10:50 PM

Thank you, Mr. Huckabee, for your newsletters. Educational and enjoyable reading.

• Joseph K Weydemann

09/07/2019 10:48 PM

Yes obviously eagle eggs are far more important than the human race. Someone like this I would just add, what is mother aborted you? It is rude and crude but sometimes you have to slap them across the face and shout LISTEN.
    ( now I would never hit a woman or a man) Violence begets violence.

• Marie Alberti-Thomson

09/07/2019 10:45 PM

Please keep it coming. We need your voice and your moral support.
    ALBERTI

• Jo

09/07/2019 10:02 PM

More fodder for your next book... and for all of those presently being autographed. TDS is all they've got, unfortunately. How the man can get up each day and know he's going to be hit with a ton of crap is beyond me. Maybe ...I think it was Drew Pearson...who said...he can because he has Melania! LOL But I can tell you my daily prayers include our President always. Saw Sarah on Judge Jeannine tonight. What a jewel you and your wife produced!! God bless.

• David Wilson

09/07/2019 09:49 PM

The only thing I can hope and pray Mike is that when the dims go into the voting booth that they pull their wallet out of their pants pocket and see if they're better off now than they were four years ago! There will be no surprises this go-round Mike! And I believe enough will see the benefit for what President Donald J Trump is doing to give him another four years to keep our country going strong and not deal with the FrontRunner of the Democratic party! That's my prayer to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ! Have a good evening Mike!

• michael murphy

09/07/2019 09:38 PM

TDS? I don't know Michael, I really think that to push a few buttons and to be more accurate, though not entirely accurate, (can you say RINO), we ought to add Unilateral Resistance in the description. Trump Unilateral Resistance Derangement Syndrome. That fits much better and is a much more satisfying acronym.

• bill hoglund

09/07/2019 09:13 PM

Thanks, Mike. You are making a whole lotta sense here. Thanks and keep up the good work.

• Harry Guenther

09/07/2019 09:08 PM

Right on

• Eddie Jones

09/07/2019 09:03 PM

I read them all. Thank you for being a reasonable voice in the midsts of craziness!

• Robert Dimlich

09/07/2019 08:38 PM

What can we expect when the wisdom of God declared in the Bible is thrown out.

• John Vandemark

09/07/2019 08:10 PM

Once again we see proof that there is no such thing as common sense. Thank you Mayor Pete for clearing that up. Thank you Mike for bringing the truth to light. I look forward to your Evening Edition.