Americans Learn More About Judge Barrett

October 14, 2020 |

All I can say that's good about Day Two of the Senate Supreme Court confirmation hearings for Judge Amy Coney Barrett is that it allowed Americans to learn even more about why Barrett is such an incredibly gifted and qualified nominee. The Kodak Moment came when she was asked what she had in front of her, and she held up a blank notepad. All the Senators required copious notes to grill her, but she was calmly and expertly answering their questions, quoting cases and deflecting attacks, all without even looking at notes.

Meanwhile, Senate Democrats, realizing they had no substantive, or even fictitious, charges to level at her, chose simply to waste everyone’s time. Instead of asking Judge Barrett questions, which was the alleged reason for the hearings, Democrats like Kamala Harris droned on and on, making partisan campaign speeches and accusing Republicans of wanting to take health care away from families or make their payments skyrocket by getting rid of Obamacare (which actually made health care more expensive for most people.) If this is what her campaign speeches are like, I can see why nobody is showing up.

Sen. Amy Klobuchar was among several Senate Democrats who pulled the neat trick of wasting precious time by bemoaning that the hearings were wasting precious time that should be used to pass a coronavirus relief bill. Except that Republicans tried to pass such a bill three weeks ago and she and her fellow Democrats blocked it from even being debated. I did love when Judge Barrett told Klobuchar, “I don’t attack people, just ideas.” In that case, Sen. Klobuchar is safe on both counts.

Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse went off on a “dark money” conspiracy rant that looked like something out of “A Brilliant Mind,” minus the brilliance (note: Democrats are being greatly advantaged by dark money from a variety of sources, from Soros to Silicon Valley.)

But you can always count on Sen. Mazie Hirono to lower the bar of discourse to subterranean levels, which she did by asking Barrett (in front of her children), "Since you became a legal adult, have you ever made unwanted requests for sexual favors or committed any verbal or physical harassment or assault of a sexual nature?" To keep you off the edge of your seat, the answer was “no.” There was also a suggestion that she’s a racist, when her two adopted black children were sitting in the gallery behind her. Her only "score" was browbeating Barrett for causing pain and suffering to the LGBTQ community by using the "offensive" phrase "sexual preference" instead of "sexual orientation," for which Barrett apologized.

Judge Barrett was forced to explain over and over that she could not speculate how she would rule on future cases because she didn’t know the facts of the particular case and it would prejudice her ruling. Democrats assailed this as shifty and evasive, even though it’s exactly the philosophy Ruth Bader Ginsburg expressed during her hearing. It’s even called “the Ginsburg Rule.”

Luckily, as the mother of seven kids, she’s used to having to patiently answer the same obvious questions repeatedly for a series of different children.

• Sandra Lampert

10/20/2020 01:31 PM

couldn't agree with you more.

• Thomas Wenndt

10/19/2020 10:41 AM

Not a comment, sir, just a question. Now that ACB has proven herself to be perhaps THE most qualified SCOTUS nominee in a long time, maybe ever, how many Democrats do you think will acknowledge that and actually vote for her? Sadly, all I see is maybe a couple who are up for re-election or are in a state where support for Trump is strong.

• Wanda Stapleton

10/18/2020 06:56 PM

Judge Barrett, will be a wonderful Supreme Court Judge. She is so qualified, she kept me spellbound by her answer's she gave the Senators.

• Dianne Collins

10/18/2020 04:39 AM

Get her in the Supreme Court Now.

• Jane MASK

10/18/2020 12:49 AM

Amen...dead on!!

• Jim Montgomery

10/17/2020 08:49 PM

I think there are a lot of Senators who aren't even qualified to hold a Drivers license, let alone a license to practice law!

• rebecca privin szoke

10/16/2020 09:33 PM

Dear Mike Huckabee, I read your comments. It is very sad that Democrats cannot realize where they are pushing our beautiful country.
    I agree with your every word. I have an interesting article analyzing the situation in the USA. If I manage to find it I would try to send it to you. It could be interesting. It was written by a history scholar some years ago.
    Again, I wish you the best and God bless you.

• Patricia Raduziner

10/16/2020 09:29 PM

You hit it on the head with all those creepy questions from the dopey democrat senators who are not qualified to be dog catcher!

• Martha A Barnes

10/16/2020 09:18 PM

Thank you for the overview of the hearing. I truly believe that God is involved with the appointing of this judge and it is clear that He is giving America time to repent just as He did for Israel.

• James Miller

10/16/2020 09:08 PM

Senator Horono was completely moronic and several others were close behind in their questioning of Judge Barrett in trying to intimidate her and falsely accuse her of lying. In regard to President Trump, I think he did well in the Town Hall discussion in spite of the interruptions snd accusations of Susana whatever her name is. I sure hope he does a great job in the Oct. 22nd debate.

• Albert Johnson

10/16/2020 06:08 PM

I agree. How they treated Judge Barrett and her family is a shame and disgrace. Their questions wasted not only her valuable time, but ours as well.
    Also, I wouldn't trust those same Senators with a dog.

• Carolyn Ogden

10/16/2020 01:24 PM

I'm tired of Leftist to continue their hateful attack of good and Honest Americans! We need a Judge who can not be "bought" and can't be drag into the swamp which Washington!

• Joyce C Finn

10/16/2020 11:46 AM

Your observation that there are a lot of Senators who aren't qualified to be dog catcher is correct.

• Barbara jones

10/16/2020 09:44 AM

Just wish Kamala Harris had to undergo the questioning and abuse she directed at kavanvaugh during his hearing.

• JIMMY BUTH

10/16/2020 05:33 AM

Governor Mike, you were my pick foe POTUS. Now, I believe we did it right with President Trump. I like his results, - - - I like your Persona. I'm nor at all sure I would be comfortable around Mr. Trump, - - - I've never cottoned to an egotistic. You Sir, remind me of Family, especially my late Father. At 80+, I've seen a lot, and fortunately remember most of it. God Bless you and yours, keep up the good work..!!!

• John B. Dueck

10/15/2020 11:42 PM

Overall, I’d say that day two convinced me even more that Judge Barrett is incredibly qualified for the Supreme Court, but there are a lot of Senators who aren’t qualified to be dog catcher. (Copied from Mike Huckabee's portion. I feel the same)

• Barbara Ferguson

10/15/2020 11:09 PM

Very accurate assessment. Thanks for the courage to" tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth." You're my most read, listened to, accurate, and trusted news source. Keep up the good work.

• Alice E Laribee

10/15/2020 10:13 PM

Even though I have missed the hearings, I can always count on your comments to see the honesty bleed true. Since discovering you online, Mr. Huckabee, you are the breath of fresh air the world needs.

• James Tomko

10/15/2020 09:44 PM

Thank you Gov Huckabee I agree with you whole heartedly about what was suppose to be a confirmation hearing. I love to read your news letters and comments. Love your sense of humor. Thanks for the scripture of the day
    May God richly bless you!

• Sandra S Hall

10/15/2020 07:21 PM

I agree totally with you and also think she is incredibly qualified.....

• Bill Walker

10/15/2020 07:01 PM

A very good assessment! The American people would be extremely fortunate to have Judge Barrett confirmed as a Supreme Court Judge!

• stephen bancroft

10/15/2020 06:57 PM

Right on!

• Cheryl L Henderson

10/15/2020 06:50 PM

I would just like to add that I agree with you Governor Huckabee, Amy Cony Barrett is the perfect choice and the Dems just can't handle it. Too Bad.
    Judge Barrett deserves to be nominated in the Supreme Court of the United States. God help us all when she gets in and President Trump wins.
    God Bless America

• Mike Horst

10/15/2020 06:42 PM

Governor, As usual the Democrats get that special award for being the most sub human jerks on earth. As you may know I hold them in the lowest esteam of any living thing. They should never ever hold any public office of any kind and I will personally do my best to see that comes to pass.

Actually, If it wouldn't be cruel and unusual punishment for Judge Barrett, I was kind of hoping that the Democrats would pull a Kavanaugh on her. That would have been the last nail in their coffin, they would most likely lose the presidential election and both houses if they did it this close to the election. Darn it! They didn't take the bait! You could just tell it was all they could do to keep from biting their lips off.

Judge Amy Coney Barrett is the third and maybe best nominee that President Trump has nominated. This woman is really, really special and deserves to be on the United States Supreme Court.

I am really hoping she is seated on the court before the election. With Judge Barrett confirmed, President Trump re-elected, Republicans win both the house and the senate. I just can't wait to watch television on election night and see those clowns at MSDNC, CNN and the rest get a huge portion of humble pie! America has had to put up with their hate for 4 years and now it is payback time!

• Max Abeyta

10/15/2020 06:41 PM

So very impressed with Judge Barrett. Her outstanding character, high level of intelligence and knowledge of the law, the demonstration of grace personified under attack, and her firm yet gracious demeanor held me in awe. What a wonderful lady who will do a wonderful job on the highest court of our great country.
    On the other hand, I am so ashamed of those women on the committee who displayed their self-absorbed efforts in trying to glorify themselves and coming out as they only could, looking like vultures, drooling in their own saliva as they tried to feed on a True Warrior of our Country. Needless to say the Warrior had on her full Armor of God and conquered with poise beyond measure. Thank you Lord for giving us an opportunity to experience Mrs. Barrett!