A new fishing expedition

April 4, 2019

When Democrats claimed they were doing to do great things for America if they were put back in power, voters probably didn’t think that meant they would immediately go fishing.  But that’s all they’ve done since retaking the House: gone on endless fishing expeditions, concocting investigations and writing subpoenas and now, requesting that the IRS show them six years’ worth of President Trump’s personal and business tax returns, all in a desperate fishing expedition to turn up something – anything! – to impeach him over.

Good thing America doesn’t have any real problems that Congress should be working on.

You’d think that after fishing for two years in the Russian Sea and coming up empty, they would have gotten this out of their system, but no, they’re hanging up the “Gone Fishin’” sign again.

Do these House Democrats really think that Trump makes out his own tax forms?  That he writes in “Russian bribe money” under “Additional sources of income”?  Do they even know how long a billionaire’s tax form is and how many people are employed to fill it out?  Do they believe he’s even read it himself?

This will likely set up another protracted, pointless, time- and money-wasting legal battle. Trump will have difficulty keeping them from obtaining his personal tax files, since the law allows Congress to request any taxpayer’s forms.  But the law also requires that those forms be kept confidential.  We all know that if they get their hands on Trump’s tax forms, they’ll be in the New York Times faster than you can “Adam Schiff.” They couldn’t keep them confidential; their heads would explode after five minutes.

Since they have no specific reason for requesting the forms, other than snooping for some scandal that Trump would actually put on his tax form, this is obviously just a partisan attempt to weaponize the tax laws to undermine the President (more support for that can be found in the fact that while Congress may have a legal right to request a President’s tax forms, Trump is the first President they’ve done it to in 45 years.)

Ironically, in attempting to justify the request, Massachusetts Rep. Richard Neal, head of the House Ways and Means Committee, wrote to the IRS that Democrats have a duty "to ensure that the Internal Revenue Service is enforcing the laws in a fair and impartial manner…” (like they did to nonprofit Tea Party groups under Obama?)...“It is critical to ensure the accountability of our government and elected officials. To maintain trust in our democracy, the American people must be assured that their government is operating properly, as laws intend."

I agree with him on that.  So when are he and his colleagues going to start?

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• Richard Payne

04/04/2019 03:15 PM

Whats good for the goose. Let them ask for the records of Maxine Watters, Adam Shifty, and anyone who came into the House or Senate with a modest income and who is now a millionaire. This is deeper Mike than just asking for tax records. How can they keep doing this without repercussions. Who is really pulling the strings?

• Carlos Wells

04/04/2019 03:11 PM

Governor Huckabee, I just sent an email to Earl Blumenauer challenging his support for cannabis/marijuana. He knows all about it. I know nothing because it has been illegal and I simply don't need it. I grew up as an old-fashioned Baptist and I don't drink alcohol either. Like you, I also raised the question as to whether or not the Democrats could find any other important issues that needed the attention of our elected representatives. He is looking for votes but he won't have mine.

• Dave Turner

04/04/2019 02:28 PM

Sorry, changing the topic here. I am in favor of closing our Southern border. (I actually have no problem in stopping all immigration in to our country, until our laws are changed.) Congress does nothing & they are to blame for this mess. Closing the southern borders will cause pain for many in this Country. But pain must be shared by all & no pain, no gain. The more pain inflicted on us all, the quicker Congress should act. Hopefully, all those who want open borders will get removed in the next election. Our sovereignty is more important than any business, commerce, & wealth. It is time we the people sacrifice for our country. Congress has its priorities all screwed up, They need to have their ears boxed. Close the border, get the wall built, and get our immigration laws changed to reflect today's hazards. The latter would be the easiest and the quickest solution. I like Kris Kobach's three point solution. This would get the job done, immediately, with the least amount of discomfort for us all. Check his ideas out.

• James K Mills

04/04/2019 02:25 PM

I really don't know why the Dems bother with all these fishing expeditions, but I can speculate. They would have to find something truly horrible to convince a large number of Republican senators to find the Prez guilty of a high crime or misdemeanor (does misdemeanor include really minor things like jay-walking, cussing, parking or speeding tickets? If so, we're all guilty, especially all the Dems!). I know the Dems HATE the idea of working WITH Mr. Trump on ANYthing, so they need something ELSE to do other that their jobs. And their very favorite thing is to take pot-shots at anyone and everyone conservative, especially the Prez. They are still SO bitter over losing Hillary, despite her obvious and extreme guilt on many counts... but she's THEIR snake and they wanted her to be Prez. Their pipe-dream is that they can successfully impeach Mr. Trump AND Mr. Pence and that would make Nancy Pelosi President. If that doesn't give you nightmares, the only thing worse is if they could somehow get Hillary declared winner of the 2016 election after-the-fact. They have some really strange dreams. Now I hear they're trying to do and end-run around the Electoral College by getting Democrat-controlled state Legislators to declare that they will instruct their Electoral College Reps to vote for the candidate approved by big cities no matter what, and disregard the states with voters who are in rural areas. Those deplorables don't matter to Democrats at all. Hmph. Thanks for letting me vent, Governor. Sure wish YOU had been elected. You'd be a GREAT president! God bless you! -- Jim and Valerie Mills

• Glenn Molenaar

04/04/2019 02:15 PM

Here in Missouri people are tired of the demo's not doing the real work like building the WALL, and stopping abortions, and Bisexual trash and also all the other work they are shifting off to the side, oh yeah are they able to pay their personal bills cause any place I worked if I did not do my job I would have been fired.

• Carol MacMillan Godsey

04/04/2019 02:13 PM

Hey,Mike - since the law enables Congress to request ANY taxpayer's forms, let's have them request the tax returns of every member of Congress!

• Charles L Hill

04/04/2019 02:12 PM

Hey Gov, I love to hear your common sense and how well it applies today. I wanted you to ask thesè democraps if interferense by another country is so bad, why then didn't they get upset about obama's spending tax payer money to try and influence Israel election in 2014. Ì understand obama even had tax payer paid people on the ground.My question tp the dems, how can you ever look at uourselves in a mirror. They need a vaccine for hypocracy srat for them!!! Keep up the good work, aldo I love your daughter moxxi, our side has taken enough bull, so I am proad of the job she does!

• John R Courter

04/04/2019 02:08 PM

It seems that the ones that make the laws are exempt from them and this should not be.
    Dual citizenship is another thing that I think should be stopped. How can one be loyal to two countries, bosses , Gods , or two of any ideals.
    Why can The citizenship of people like Soros be taken away?

• Patty Cason

04/04/2019 02:05 PM

All of this wrong doing is why the American people elected President Trump in the first place. We heard in his own words what he thought of the political game and we agreed. What I have seen is that most politicians come from being lawyers who are used to working on being ‘the victor’ in a case, and not caring who they destroy or what wrong they need to do - or hide - to accomplish it. President Trump has come from a background of working hard as a leader of a team to accomplish victory for everyone. All people need to do is listen to all he has to say when he is speaking (even at rallies) and look at what he has accomplished even when under attack for two years. Then they will see the truth about how he really cares about us Americans - even for those immigrants who want to come legally. We truly are ashamed of politicians playing the political game that wastes all our money and destroys what we have sacrificed for years for. It’s mind boggling and shocking how people believe the ‘faux’ news because it’s popular. Thank you Mike Huckabee for all your hard work for us. We do appreciate you.

• william fuhrer

04/04/2019 01:57 PM

Cartoonist should be contracted to do cartoon of President Trump at set of LET'S MAKE A DEAL with Speaker Pelosi saying NO WAY!

• Margaret Kost

04/04/2019 01:46 PM

Governor, While it is true the law is enforced in a fair and impartial manor, the Democrats, since before President Trump went into office and even prior would not know the meaning of fair or impartial to anyone or political belief that opposes their stand. Republicans especially.
    Furthermore, I believe it is not ‘anyone’s business’ to want or demand to see our president’s or anyone else’s tax return(s).
    If there is ‘real concrete’ evidence of tax fraud, and not the ‘Russia Collusion’ type of evidence, then that is the IRS’s business with the preparers of Donald Trump’s tax returns.
    I am with you. They want the world to know, this is not just concern of lawbreaking...
    Let’s get on with the work for we the people, NOT CONTINUING WITH THEIR WITCH HUNT!
    God, bless America!!! ????

• Teddy Woodward

04/04/2019 01:45 PM

Did anyone see the Palo Alto "woman" Parker Mankey who verbally attacked a senior Trump supporter in a MAGA hat in Starbucks, and put up a vitriolic, THREATENING tirade against him, HIS FAMILY, asking if anyone knew his address, personal information of any sort, etc, and PROUDLY told her THREE friends on Facebook how she screamed at him, and couldn't BELIEVE the other WHITE PEOPLE in Starbucks didn't join in with her in verbally abusing this gentleman for DARING to wear a MAGA hat in HER TOWN? You HAD TO SEE HER TO BELIEVE HER. She is no spring chicken herself, and judging by her FOOT TALL black MOHAWK hairdo complete with a SHAVED HEAD except for the MOHAWK part, looked more like an escapee from the local INSANE ASYLUM than the " normal" lunkhead who seem to enjoy paying 5-10 dollars for a ten cent cup of coffee. Now HERE was a FANATICAL supporter of Adam Schiffless. You know, we really don't have to do ANYTHING to insure the re-election of President Trump. ONE LOOK at his detractors tells you EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW about WHO and WHO NOT to vote for! ONE GLANCE at Parker Mankey, POSSIBLY a misspelling of her REAL name, Parker MONKEY, would cause the musician in me to BURST into a chorus of the GREAT Groucho Marx song "Whatever it is, I'M AGAINST IT"!!! If these people were TRYING to turn EVERYONE into a Trump voter, they COULDN'T do a BETTER job than they are doing! WHERE do these people COME FROM, and HOW did they get to be SO INSANE? Go to Seattle, Parker. You can be the FOREVER POSTER CHILD for AMERICAN MADNESS! As a former wrestler, I have NEVER wrestled a woman, but in HER CASE, for the SAFETY and WELFARE of the general population, I would be HAPPY to make an exception and PIN HER DOWN and SHUT HER UP! YIKES! How did we get HERE, America?
    And at this time, I would like to APOLOGIZE to Mike and his readers for a dreadful faux pas I made in a comment yesterday. I used the term ASSHOLE in conjunction with the aforementioned Adam Schiffless, and as I thought about it later on , I realized what a TERRIBLE INSULT it was to the much maligned, yet INCREDIBLE SPHINCTER to even be MENTIONED in the same context as Mr Schiffless. To bring the hard working and brilliantly designed SPHINCTER, with it's commonly known WORLDWIDE INCREDIBLE sense of HUMOR and TIMING that NO comedian could EVER hope to match, it was a nearly UNFORGIVABLE SLIGHT, and I would like to humbly apologize to ASSHOLES EVERYWHERE for my POOR CHOICE of words. To see that red faced LULU with his OBAMA scarf makes you wish he'd have a NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET encounter to SAVE MAIN STREET from HIM and his SUPPORTERS. Don't waste a second, folks, worrying about 2020. With opponents like THIS, WE'RE a SHOE-IN! TW

• Marilyn Calhoun

04/04/2019 01:44 PM

They should probe all congressmen/women's tax filings for some years back to present and determine that all are current and paid. Should be used for cabinet as well (think Obama's!). What's good for the goose is good for the gander!

• Harry Stearns

04/04/2019 01:40 PM

DEmocrats Destroying America because they aren't in control they will do anything as a last hope They don't care that Soros wants to destroy us and THEY'RE FAMILIES When the Muslims take over all non muslims will be beheaded

• THOMAS TUCKER

04/04/2019 01:24 PM

I know that you are right. I also know that big changes are needed to save our Republic. My biggest problem is I can't do anything but be knowledgeable and speak to people I know (have lost friends of 20+ years) because I am retired and have no clout or money.
    Tom.

• Robert L Fragoman

04/04/2019 01:23 PM

What will it take to make all politicians release six years of their taxes? If we could demand that, I will bet that they drop their desire to get President Trump's taxes instantly.

• Jerry Korba

04/04/2019 01:04 PM

I hope people thru out the country find these delay tactic( to investigate) to address our problems on the border and the healthcare situation so harmful that a complete overhaul of the left's membership to House and Senate seats are overdue. Nadler should go back to Playing George on the Sienfeld show Pelosi should get back to the big black kettle and stir that pot Shumer show go back to playing Eddie Haskcall of Leave to Beaver fame Schiff should just go away. I hope we can discard this unfit group and replace them with can do people. We have enough problems with China, North Korea, Iran, Middle East, Russia you get the picture we surely don't need these idiots helping our enemies yes enemies these countries act like they don't want a fight now when the time is right and the group is making the time closer than you think they will jump. We need people that have to protect our nation not investigate it. So get rid of these actors and hire real people to do the job. Vote with Trump i think it may be our only solution.

• sandra adie

04/04/2019 01:00 PM

You are absolutely correct. Keep up the good work we wil educate the Dems yet

• Marian Jacoby

04/04/2019 12:48 PM

Winning in 2020 is mandatory. Thus, I believe we need to consider every possible voter, and that includes the over 50% of us who are obese. I have a moderately conservative obese friend, who totally resents any Republican (including Trump) who belittles people by focusing on a physical flaw, i.e. physical weight or a "pencil-neck". It hits too close to home for him and his moderate friends. While it is hard for Trump, it would behoove him and the rest of us to really try to cool it with these physical defect comments until after the election. Personally, I am not offended, because it provides comic relief. Not so with those who face some bullying or nasty looks on a daily basis. Again, we HAVE to win. Trump can expand his base and still be very funny. Just cool it with this component for now.

• Stan Honstad

04/04/2019 12:33 PM

With huge accounting firms employed by the Trump organization and many years of the IRS auditing these returns I don't have a clue what they think they will find. It is still a coup trying to unseat a sitting president. I am surprised they have not brought the military into the picture. What a huge stain on America

• A. Vinke

04/04/2019 12:26 PM

Where's Trump's Tax Return?

"They are underneath Obama's college records, his passport
    application, his immigration status as a student, his funding sources
    to pay for college, his graduate school records, and his Selective Service
    registration. "Next question?"

• Rosalind Moore

04/04/2019 12:19 PM

Thank you, Governor Huckabee, for your encouraging (and humorous) insights on the everyday important issues in our beloved country. Amen and Amen! God bless you and your family as you continue. Prayers from a fellow American patriot.

• Linda Combs

04/04/2019 12:14 PM

What ever happened to the "Discrimination" they are always talking about on every issue that comes up? I say, that it's safe to say they are discriminating against our president of all people! How long oh Lord will this go on?

• Anne Turner

04/04/2019 12:04 PM

Governor, I am glad you keep up the commentary but you and I both know the Dems will never quit. They will waste time and money with huge investigations. I say, go for it Libs. Pretty soon the American people will tire of it and wish Congress would get on with their business. The GOP on Congress is not much better. They had two years and did not do much. Talk about investigations! The GOP could have a had a field day with Hilary but it’s not their style. It is not easy being ladies and gentlemen but conservatives have a tendency to behave, at least outwardly, in a more civil manner.
    With businesses as large and diverse as Trump’s, there would be continuous audits by independent firms and the government. I am sure he has many internal auditors who work to keep him out of trouble. You are correct, there would be no confidentiality. There is now a precedent set for investigating whomever is President. What is good for the goose, etc. Hiw did the Obamas amass a Tidy fortune, or the Clintons, or Bernie, or whomever becomes President? I am genuinely concerned that we will have a left wing socialist as President with a left wing Congress. Good luck America. Even though we don’t deserve it, I pray God will be forgiving and save us. May He also effect a change in Mr. Trump to cut the tweets and not say self destructive things.

• Charles Teachout

04/04/2019 11:56 AM

Why in the world would the Dems get into office just to "go fishin'"? It seems to me the real issue here is just that their current role in the Dynastic State Plan is simply to stop President Trump and the Republican Senate any power to pass Voter ID laws, or any defense of the Electoral College that might interfere with the Democratic Party "ground game" for the 2020 Election. As confident members of the conspiracy, the Democratic Presidential candidates exhibit a decided indifference to the decided rejection of the "Green New Deal" they espouse. They are quietly confident of something Democrats understand. They are confident that with the "national ground game" the Democrats have (a combination of having massive voter fraud schemes at work in all the important Red States, and the termination of the use of the Electoral College by the “National Popular Vote Interstate Compact”) they will win handily in the Election of 2020. With massive numbers of new illegal immigrants voting, and the strict adherence of America to the final authority of the national popular vote, America will finally become a One Party State in which the Democratic Party will rule forever. The Supreme Court justices can "go and pound sand" because the Party will either imprison them or declare them officially redundant under the People's Republic of the United States. Tell me my fears are unfounded! Tell me that Dems have "gone fishin'" because they just want to rest peacefully beside the Lazy River!! Will the United States of America, the "Last and Best Hope for the World", still continue on the day after the Election of 2020?

A new fishing expedition

April 4, 2019

I agree with him on that.  So when are he and his colleagues going to start?

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• Richard Payne

• Carol MacMillan Godsey

04/04/2019 02:13 PM

• Charles L Hill

04/04/2019 02:12 PM

• John R Courter

04/04/2019 02:08 PM

Why can The citizenship of people like Soros be taken away?

• Patty Cason

04/04/2019 02:05 PM

• william fuhrer

04/04/2019 01:57 PM

• Margaret Kost

04/04/2019 01:46 PM

God, bless America!!! ????

• Teddy Woodward

• Marian Jacoby

04/04/2019 12:48 PM

• Stan Honstad

04/04/2019 12:33 PM

• A. Vinke

04/04/2019 12:26 PM

Where's Trump's Tax Return?

"They are underneath Obama's college records, his passport
    application, his immigration status as a student, his funding sources
    to pay for college, his graduate school records, and his Selective Service
    registration. "Next question?"

• Rosalind Moore

04/04/2019 12:19 PM

• Linda Combs

04/04/2019 12:14 PM

• Anne Turner

04/04/2019 12:04 PM

• Charles Teachout

04/04/2019 11:56 AM

A new fishing expedition

April 4, 2019

I agree with him on that.  So when are he and his colleagues going to start?

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• Richard Payne

• Carol MacMillan Godsey

04/04/2019 02:13 PM

• Charles L Hill

04/04/2019 02:12 PM

• John R Courter

04/04/2019 02:08 PM

Why can The citizenship of people like Soros be taken away?

• Patty Cason

04/04/2019 02:05 PM

• william fuhrer

04/04/2019 01:57 PM

• Margaret Kost

04/04/2019 01:46 PM

God, bless America!!! ????

• Teddy Woodward

• Marian Jacoby

04/04/2019 12:48 PM

• Stan Honstad

04/04/2019 12:33 PM

• A. Vinke

04/04/2019 12:26 PM

Where's Trump's Tax Return?

"They are underneath Obama's college records, his passport