I wish I didn’t have to comment on the inexcusably rude treatment of a Virginia restaurant owner in asking my daughter Sarah and her family to leave, simply because she disagrees with their politics.  But it became a major news story and seems to be part of a growing trend on the left, as these increasingly desperate losers ramp up the hysterical attacks (“Everyone who does anything I don’t like is worse than Hitler!!”) to cover for the fact that the policies they espouse in all areas are being exposed as hopeless failures, and more and more people are catching on that they’ve been conned. Their fury over their ever-declining influence has reduced them to the level of angry adolescents, screaming, “It’s not fair!!” and lashing out with temper tantrums.

If they can’t even behave like civilized adults, then I can’t imagine voters will entrust them with the vast powers of the federal government (aside from Maxine Waters’ constituents.)  Seriously, does this woman not even remember that one of her own colleagues, Rep. Steve Scalise, missed quite a bit of work after being shot by an unstable Bernie Bro, hopped up on anti-Republican propaganda until he attempted to pull a massacre at a charity baseball practice?  But I digress...

I’m not going to mention the name of this restaurant because they don’t deserve any more free publicity.  But I do want to share a few reactions:

First, I am immensely proud of Sarah and her family for the graceful and dignified way in which she responded to this unconscionable (and possibly illegal) discrimination.  Note that she didn’t throw a fit, pull rank, threaten anyone or file a lawsuit.  She simply left quietly and ate elsewhere, I’m sure at a place where both the hospitality and the food were far superior.

I’d also like to implore her supporters not to lower themselves to the opposition’s level by making threats or vandalizing the restaurant’s website or Yelp page.  The owner wanted publicity.  Don’t give it to her.  Instead, simply grant her wish of never having to serve anyone whose politics she disagrees with.

I’m also relieved this was a quiet, non-violent incident.  There have been other shocking incidents of violent mobs harassing and threatening members of the Administration, forcing them to flee restaurants.  Those people need to be arrested and prosecuted.  As for those trying to gin up more ideologically-based violence (looking at you again, Rep. Waters), they are a perfect illustration of the Supreme Court’s exemption to the First Amendment, that inciting a riot (i.e., yelling “Fire” in a crowded theater) is not protected free speech.  It’s also not something that any decent human being with a maturity level above age five does.  Even the reliably liberal Washington Post recognized the dangers of such incendiary rhetoric and condemned it in an op-ed.  And no, whining, “Trump started it!” doesn’t make you sound more like an adult.

Finally, I want to respond to the idiotic claims by the left that conservatives “have it coming” because this is just like that Christian baker who declined to make a same-sex wedding cake.  No, it’s nothing like that.  I know that people who use the word “nuanced” a lot don’t seem to understand what it means, so I’ll attempt to explain the nuances of the two cases clearly and in words short enough that even a liberal intellectual can understand:

The baker in question never ejected anyone from his store for being gay.  He made it clear that everyone was welcome to the part of the store that serves the public, and he would happily sell them anything in the store.  What he declined was a separate contract job custom-designing a cake that he felt violated his religious beliefs, for the same reason he refuses to use what he considers his God-given talent to design Halloween cakes or cakes that personally attack people.  His objection to being forced to accept the custom contract job was based on his First Amendment right to be free from the government forcing him to violate his religious beliefs, not on some nonexistent right to ban gay people from the public area of his shop because he doesn’t like them personally.

I wonder if leftists who are cheering the restaurant owner for ejecting my daughter’s family from a public accommodation just because she didn’t agree with their politics even realize that they are making a very different argument that goes far beyond the defense of the Christian baker.  In fact, they are making the same argument one would use in defending Southern lunch counter owners of the 1950s who refused service to black customers.

Although, come to think of it, those Southern lunch counter owners and the officials who defended them were Democrats, too.  I guess some things never change.

Another irrelevant opinion that inexplicably made news over the weekend came when former Obama ethics watchdog…(sorry, I had to quit typing for a minute until I could stop laughing) Walter Shaub tweeted that my daughter Sarah violated five federal laws by using her official Twitter account to tweet what had happened to her and her family at that Virginia restaurant.  Shaub seems to be laboring under the delusions that Sarah both threatened and endorsed the restaurant (a neat trick, but she did neither) and that she was the first to identify the restaurant, in an attempt to spur mindless rightwing mobs to attack it.  If true, that would be the height of irony, since she was just one of a rising number of Republicans being attacked by mindless leftwing mobs.  But it’s not true at all.

OUR TOP STORY:  Watch my interview with President Trump Part II

In fact, the restaurant identified itself first, with a staffer tweeting the story to the world.  It was only after it made news that Sarah was inundated with requests for comment or confirmation by the media.  Since responding to media inquiries IS her official capacity, she did so, in a completely dispassionate way (she did not call for any retribution against the restaurant owner.  That sort of reprehensible and illegal incitement to violence is the province of leftists such as Maxine Waters.)

I’m really not surprised that partisan attacks are more in Mr. Shaub’s wheelhouse than researching facts, after reading his history and scrolling through his Twitter feed.  He left his position after clashing with Trump and amid accusations of covering up for Hillary Clinton.  When not attacking my daughter with bogus accusations of violating federal laws, he’s tweeting his adventures in Texas as part of a big protest of the enforcement of immigration laws.  The slogan of the organization he’s backing, which is prominent in his posts, is “We Demand Families are Reunited and Free!”  Notice this doesn’t stop at merely calling for reuniting families, but for setting them free, even though they violated federal immigration law.

So to recap:  the “former director of the Office of Government Ethics" under Obama (pause for laughter) thinks that for a Republican to write a tweet in full compliance with the demands of her job is a quintuple federal offense, but entering the US illegally is not only fine but should be rewarded.

Now I finally understand why Obama seriously believed that he had a “scandal-free administration.”

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  I READ THEM!

• Cheryl Lindsey

06/26/2018 01:19 PM

Dear Gov Huckabee, I do hope Sarah reads the comments that have been posted as they are most complimentary of how she handled herself in what can only be described as a political assault on her and her family. As always, she was grace under fire and should be commended.

My second comment is that perhaps the laws regarding hate crimes should also include political assaults. The attack on republicans in DC during baseball practice could only be described as a political hate crime fueled by the hateful rhetoric by the left. Maxine Waters who has inflamed the public in the past with her messages of hate should be the poster child for encouraging political hate crimes. Congress needs to take a serious look at our hate crime laws because I don’t think this comes under the category of free speech. How is this country going to evolve if the opposing political party encourages harmful behavior against supporters of the President. This is absolutely freightening.

• Teresa Walker

06/26/2018 01:01 PM

So much respect for your daughter .... for the way she handled the restaurant situation and also for the way she handles herself and her job daily.

• vilma gallo

06/26/2018 12:58 PM

your daughter Sarah is a true lady and deserves accolades on her dignity and beauty .every press briefing has her walking on hot coals and she never loses her calm
    her job is unbelievably difficult always under attack
    the majority of the press do not question they attack attack
    she never loses it as i would have so many times
    GOD BLESS HER You must be so proud

• Leroy Becker

06/26/2018 12:52 PM

Would the food have been safe to eat? Would someone have spit on the food before it was served? These are the two questions that came to mind upon reading about this. The first question is always a concern, especially when eating an uncooked salad. The second question would certainly be a concern if someone working there is having a meltdown.
    I also wonder if it would be discrimination to require certain employees who could be considered high risk for certain diseases to have frequent health check-ups to certify that they are not carriers of some bad disease.

• Anne Turner

06/26/2018 12:40 PM

Sara, the ever strong, confident, intelligent, and attractive lady takes it all very well and conducts herself like the lady she is. As you say, let’s remember who was the party of slavery ,segregation, lynchings, the KKK, and discrimination against African Americans, and anyone not white and Protestant. It was not the GOP.

Let us remember which that party believes in the rule of law, and if you don’t like it go through the process of changing it. Let’s remember the party of Abraham Lincoln. It’s not the Dems.

Let us remember the Presidents since 1940 who have been known to be unfaithful to their wives, Four Dems during their tenure. , Zero GOP. Trump was known to be before becoming President, but no evidence of this after taking office.

GOP and Most conservative trending Independents are quiet about their charitable works. Not so Dems.

Which party thought isolating children of illigal immigrants crossing our border was okay under Dem Presidents but terribly cruel under a GOP,President the kings and queens of hypocracy, the Liberal Dems.

When I refer to Dems in this I am referring to the liberal lefties. When I refer to the GOP in this, I am not referring to far right skinheads.

• Elizabeth Shelton

06/26/2018 12:29 PM

You and your wife raised a godly young lady who graces every description of a Christian woman. You two must be very proud!! I certainly am proud of her--what she stands for and how graceful she does it.

• Lynne Nantz

06/26/2018 11:46 AM

So sorry how your daughter was treated! But a big Amen to your response! Thank heavens we have people like you who tell it like it is! Tell your daughter to keep up her good work too!

• John Lewis

06/26/2018 11:35 AM

You are a voice of reason

• Edward porter

06/26/2018 09:02 AM

Mr. Govenor, stand tall Mr Mike, I am damb proud of ur daughter, I have a great amount of respect and admiration for strong smart and tenacious women. Hell Mr Mike, Sarah has bigger ovaries then all the modern foo-foo men have balls. U tell ur daughter Im proud to say she is my fellow american, my white american sister. God Speed and God Bless to you and yours Mr. Govenor.
    Sincerly,
    Edward Porter
    Floridian

• Carole Louise Schuette Butcher

06/26/2018 08:44 AM

Thank you, Mr Huckabee. !!! I recognize your right as Sarah's dad to speak your mind, and I'm with you on that 100%. I also recognize the difficulty of being in the public's line of fire, whether one might be correct in their view of the subject matter or not. You handled this situation expertly, which should be no surprise to anyone who has watched you perform in the public venue over the years. I stand and applaud you, sir. As an 80 year old in poor health, I cannot promise you another vote, but I am a proud American and we need more Huckabee's in office if this nation is to survive and thrive.

• alex stokes

06/26/2018 07:09 AM

Best thing I have read by far this morning. You write well and made me laugh several times. Hah come write a book for me! please! :))

• Richard Maher

06/26/2018 04:41 AM

Gov Huckabee, I am intrigued by your statement: 'it's also not something that any decent human being with a maturity level above five does.' Well then, I am looking forward to you publicly calling out Trump every time he uses pejorative terms like 'Wacky Jacky' and 'Pocahontas' in the future. Fair's fair.

• Linda Way

06/26/2018 03:18 AM

I have voted both left and right and I can't for the life of me figure out why it is so hard for people to understand the difference in these two cases. The baker never refused service to anyone. He just refused to participate in an act he found to be against his religious belief. Also, how could Maxine Waters call for people to do to others the horrible injustice done to black people so long ago. PS I would love it if you were our next president!

• Sonya Dunaway

06/26/2018 01:51 AM

If everyone would read this. It would end all of the arguments over this situation, hands down.

• Jennifer Stanley

06/26/2018 01:31 AM

Your daughter is the epitome of class and professionalism. I greatly enjoy watching her speak. I know you are extraordinarily proud of her in and out of the pressroom.

• Ronald Howard

06/26/2018 01:18 AM

A scandal free Obama administration ?!
    I wonder what Michael the First man.. I mean Michelle Obama the First lady would have to say about that ?
    Private scandal (public enemy) #1 His appointed Sec. o' State H.R.C. who won't be prosexuted-sp? (oh that's funny a spelling error but wrong Clinton) [won't be] prosecuted not because she's not guilty as the day is long, but because if she's ever indicted and tried for her high crimes, she will chirp like a canary and start pointing like a German Short Haired canine right at her former boss

• CAROLE TATE

06/26/2018 01:15 AM

Thankyou, Gov, for writing about "all this". I was hoping to see on social media one of your artfully crafted responses. Just last week I "found" your show (w/ @POTUS interview) on the free TBN app. Gotta luv yr masterfull expertise w/ English language! As a retired multicultural educator (and Christian urban missionary) I especially enjoy excellence in current events commentary, so I'll be tuning in often to watch your shows on the TBN app. Also will add you & your show next to SHS's name on my prayer list.
    ????????? ????

• Denise A Wright

06/26/2018 01:11 AM

We are so very sorry that this outrageous treatment happened to your daughter and her family. The owner and staff of this restaurant were totally out of line, and cruel. As it has been stated before by many who read about this supreme act of rudeness, Sarah chose the high road instead of getting down low and "dirty" like the owner. We pray daily for all of the White House staff and for our President and Vice President. God bless you and your entire family. We love all that you do for our great country. Bob and Denise Wright

• Quana Austin

06/26/2018 12:01 AM

Veery well written. I agree with every word, including not reacting in the same manner. As well-adjusted sensible adults, we are above that type of behavior. You have every right to be proud of your daughter. She is doing a fantastic job in a very difficult position and deserves respect.

• Darren Godbee

06/25/2018 11:36 PM

You must have been a wonderful father to have raised such a fine young lady so I applaude you We the people LOVE HER SO WHAT ANY OF THE LEFTS EVER SAY ABOUT HER MEANS NOTHING TO US WONT EVER EITHER But judging from how professional she has reacted to all of the truly deplorable things done to her Great job Mr Huckabee

• Darren Godbee

06/25/2018 11:35 PM

• Emmanuel Penn

06/25/2018 11:27 PM

May The Lord Have Mercy in these scenarios. With the kind of behaviours by those on Left Field, I actually don't feel safe in this society anymore. What happened to being civil even when not in agreement with something? What happened to caring & respecting for others no matter what? May it be known that Fairness & Honesty can go a long way, while discriminate hypocrisy only makes matters worse. As for you Mike Huckabee, your dear daughter Sarah, and the family you have: I'll remember to keep you all in Prayer, and it's necessary to keep in mind that people such as yourselves are Human Beings in need of Love & Support. If the Grace of God through Jesus Christ is in present in your lives, its something to Truly Value. May Christ's Holy Spirit convict hearts until Right and Wrong be accepted for what they truly are as per His high standards, including that biased persons repent from any wrong treatment of another over something as mere differences of opinions. So Mr.Huckabee, as long as you & your flock are inline with Christ, May God Bless You All!

• Tamara R. Kastanas

06/25/2018 10:49 PM

What a great commentary! Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to connect with us Average Americans!

• Vickie Townley

06/25/2018 10:38 PM

Sara Huckabee Sanders is a class-act, no doubt about it. Due, in a large part to the wonderful job her parents did. But mostly, I give credit to God. He gives her the strength and skill set to persevere under these difficult situations.

• Mike Grayson

06/25/2018 10:33 PM

Nailed it!

OUR TOP STORY:  Watch my interview with President Trump Part II

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  I READ THEM!

• Cheryl Lindsey

• Sonya Dunaway

06/26/2018 01:51 AM

• Jennifer Stanley

06/26/2018 01:31 AM

• Ronald Howard

06/26/2018 01:18 AM

A scandal free Obama administration ?!

• CAROLE TATE

• Vickie Townley

06/25/2018 10:38 PM

• Mike Grayson

06/25/2018 10:33 PM

Nailed it!

OUR TOP STORY:  Watch my interview with President Trump Part II

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  I READ THEM!

• Cheryl Lindsey

• Sonya Dunaway

06/26/2018 01:51 AM

• Jennifer Stanley

06/26/2018 01:31 AM

• Ronald Howard

06/26/2018 01:18 AM

A scandal free Obama administration ?!

• CAROLE TATE