Nike's questionable marketing strategy

September 7, 2018 |

For the past few days, whenever I turned on a news channel, I saw some marketing “expert” assuring me that Nike’s decision to enrich and glorify Colin Kaepernick for his “sacrifice” (tell that to a disabled veteran or Gold Star family) was a brilliant business move. All those people cursing Nike on social media and posting videos of them burning their Nike gear? They’re just irrelevant old fogies who don’t matter. Nike is a hip, edgy company, and this campaign will give them a huge boost among their current target market of young hipsters and minorities.

So, how’s that working out? Marketing types love surveys and numbers, so here are the latest results from a Morning Consult survey:

Almost overnight, Nike’s favorability rating dropped by over 34 points, going from +69 to +34. Also, before the poll, only 2% reported hearing negative sentiments about Nike. After the Kaepernick announcement, 33% said they’d heard negative things about the brand.

But that’s probably just those old cranks Nike doesn’t care about! What did their target market (young people, blacks, etc.) think? Actually, Nike’s favorability dropped among every demographic category, even Democrats (although not as much as the 23 point plummet among Republicans.)

What is Nike’s next brilliant marketing idea? Buy a pair of shoes, get a free can of New Coke ?

LEAVE A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  I READ THEM.

• Renee'Byrd

09/08/2018 12:24 PM

Colin Kaepernick should have been forgotten about the first time he took a knee. Nike has lost my business from this day forward. I am disappointed and ashamed that a company I have known and trusted for many years has put their support behind this character and his "cause". This is not the platform for this issue, and if he wants to be a spokesperson for social injustice he should get off his knee and on his feet to meet with people face to face like a man so he can discuss the issues at hand.

• Bill Codner Sr

09/08/2018 12:16 PM

This brain dead decision to glorify a loser, Colon Kaepernick, will be the largest boost for Under Armour’s sales to date. The message Nike expounds, is a good one. The messenger is a bad one.

• Firewagon

09/08/2018 12:15 PM

N I K E = Not Interested Keeping Equipment - Somebody referred to the 'kneeler' as a thug, and was excoriated in the media. They might have added "ill-informed" to the thug title. The kneeling QB's intent to shed light on the police mistreating of blacks was/is a comedy. First fact the kneeler needs informed of is the "perception" that whites commit more crimes than do blacks is off the rails incorrect. Blacks are 13% of the population and commit 52% of crimes - completely out of proportion to their ratio to America's 330 Million residents! That second "perceived" grievance, that brings the kneeler to his knees, that there is some police genocide being perpetrated on the black community, is another complete fallacy. Police do kill blacks, to the tune of approximately 200 per year, check that crime rate above, as well as whites and hispanics. The TRUE genocide on the black community is being perpetrated by blacks killing other blacks. Don't think so? It would take cops 40 years to kill as many black men as have died at the hands of others black men in 2012 alone. Get that kneeler to put their names on his socks! As John Stossel might say, 'GIVE ME A BREAK.' Get this whack out of the headlines/media!! NIKE will have to wear its own stuff, if they depend on this family using ANYTHING they are associated with....

• Ardell Nagle

09/08/2018 12:14 PM

Nike is trying to be politically correct!! I am not part of that PC movement I support law enforcement and appreciate their sacrifice as well as the sacrifice of their families who hope they come home after their shift!! Nike is not end all to be all there are many companies who sale a great sports wear and are just as good as their product.

• Linda Roling

09/08/2018 12:06 PM

As far as I’m concerned Nike and NFL have shot them selves in the foot! No pun intended! They are dead to me. No more purchasing socks,shoes, shirts, NOTHING! I have a son in the military who has put his life on the line for our freedom and our flag. He is a West Point grad and I am so proud of him and our National Anthem and our country. The disrespect of the NFL and Nike by paying this guy millions of dollars for his SACRIFICE!?!?! Please!!!

• Sam Nigro

09/08/2018 11:58 AM

Subject: NEVER TRUST OR HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH HAREMCUNTFESTFEMINISTS....they are "setting you up" for extortion ...."easy" women are no good...you will be sorry.....Stormy Daniels and Omarosa will create stockpiles of audio, video, text messages to help them get you....they will immodestly sexually assault and rape you as you succumb, and then claim you assaulted them or want money to keep quiet, and then still will not keep quiet.......!

• Ruth Cremin

09/08/2018 11:53 AM

Why couldn’t Nike use Pat Tillman as a role model? I wish everyone would stop using numb nut’s name even! We will never purchase another Nike product!

• Catherine wright

09/07/2018 10:40 PM

NPR did an advertisement for Nike today disguised as ‘news’ about a Lebron shoe designed by women. With my tax money.

• Mary Knutson

09/07/2018 10:04 PM

I have a work shirt that has the Nike emblem on the sleeve. I wore it today, but put a flag pin over it, took a picture and said "Covering the. N*** emblem with what really matters." I've gotten quite a few likes on it so far and it's only been up a few hours.

Nike's questionable marketing strategy

September 7, 2018 |

LEAVE A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  I READ THEM.

• Renee'Byrd

• Catherine wright

09/07/2018 10:40 PM

• Mary Knutson

09/07/2018 10:04 PM

Nike's questionable marketing strategy

September 7, 2018 |

LEAVE A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  I READ THEM.

• Renee'Byrd