Does The ELECTORAL COLLEGE Need To Go?

August 22, 2019

The great sage, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, apparently didn't take Civics so she wants to get rid of the Electoral College. The college we need to close is the one who gave her a degree! She won't watch this but I sure hope you will. The Electoral College is good for Democrats and Republicans and it is good for America.

• Sally yendrek

08/22/2019 09:59 PM

Yes, it needs to go because the popular vote should win. Example a sporting event, the team that scores more runs in baseball ends up losing? How can that be right?

• Sherry Moss

08/22/2019 09:12 PM

Very informative! I was one of the ones who wanted to get rid of the electoral college BEFORE I WATCHED THIS VIDEO. Well done and very effective video, Mike.

• Doris Jean Matthews

08/22/2019 08:48 PM

Thank you for informing me of the electoral college. I understand the importance of it now.

• JOYCE F BIRCH

08/22/2019 07:33 PM

Great read and well said as usual! The Electoral College must never go away. There's very little I could say about AOC, except how did she get into college or graduate??? She's a piece of work & we pay her!!

• Charles T. Upton III

08/22/2019 07:24 PM

There's nothing wrong with electoral college except for when your a member of a political party, political parties must go not the electoral college.

• Kerry L. Kessler

08/22/2019 06:50 PM

I think that AOC should try to get rid of it if she likes, but it will take a Constitutional Amendment to do it. There are four ways to accomplish this. (1) Both houses propose an amendment with a two-thirds vote, and three-fourths of the state legislatures approve. Twenty-six of the 27 amendments were approved in this manner. (2) Both houses propose an amendment with a two-thirds vote, and three-fourths of the states approve the amendment via ratifying conventions. Only the 21st Amendment, which repealed Prohibition, was passed in this manner. (3) Two-thirds of the state legislatures call on Congress to hold a constitutional convention, and three-fourths of the state legislatures approve the amendment. (4) Two-thirds of the state legislatures call on Congress to hold a constitutional convention, and three-fourths of the states approve the amendment via ratifying conventions. As can be seen, all of the methods require 3/4 of the state to approve the amendment. Since she will be trying to reduce the electoral influence of about 35 or so or the states, all of these seem like definite long shots to me. But, hey, she should knock herself out!

• Frances Kennan

08/22/2019 06:32 PM

We need the electoral college so that those that live in rural areas are represented. God forbid if those nutcakes get their way.

• Thomas E. Broadbent

08/22/2019 06:17 PM

That was a very excellent commentary on the Electoral College and why it is still needed. I remember when I was much, much younger, whenever I would vote in a Presidential Election, I would hear about the Electoral College, but I didn't understand what it was, or why people in "some college" were doing the voting for President instead of the American People. Once I looked into what the Electoral College was, I immediately understood just how wise our Founding Fathers were in setting up Presidential Elections they way they did. How fortunate we are, and how very bad it would be if we allowed the Democrats to have their way. Thank you, Mike.

• rodney burke

08/22/2019 04:25 PM

I have one solution to those who want the electoral college abolished. The queen of Alice in Wonderland said it best "Off with their heads!" this is s republic and dems want to change it to a dictatorship. the answer is clear. "Not happening here."

• William Rohman

08/22/2019 04:25 PM

We need to remember that America is NOT a democracy, but a Federation of fifty equal and sovereign states, each with their own government. Our founding fathers realized that without equality, the smaller states would not have joined our Union and America would not exist. Our bicameral legislature and the Electoral College were designed to insure this equality. Therefore, to change the Constitution to eliminate the Electoral College would require the smaller states to agree to this constitutional change and relinquish their equal status will never happen.

• Lynda Richards

08/22/2019 04:02 PM

You are correct, whatever college gave her a degree needs to go.

• Laurena Maxa

08/22/2019 03:52 PM

Ocasio-Cortez does not understand what she is doing to this country. The people that voted for her are intellectually challenged (this is being kind). She should go back to bar tending.

• Melvin Carter

08/22/2019 03:49 PM

Thank you for the brilliant civics lesson. As you say, the founders were brilliant beyond their own understanding in this matter. And thank God for that.

• Ronald Babcock/ [email protected],com

08/22/2019 03:36 PM

How in the world did this woman get elected to office. She gets nuttier all the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Worda M Lovett

08/22/2019 03:18 PM

You are so right,the only collage that needs to close is the one A.O.C attended,the squad needs to be kicked out of office,never in my time have I ever saw anything like these 4

• Elaine Liming

08/22/2019 02:52 PM

Thank you for the lesson for today. Every Civics class covers the points you have made.
    I am sending this to all my friends and family members. This is also why every vote does count.
    I am voting to keep the electoral college.

• John Metcalf

08/22/2019 02:50 PM

Thanks for this presentation. I posted it on my Facebook page. We need to get this out to the electorate.

• Karen Cooney

08/22/2019 02:36 PM

Thank you so much! You're doing what our schools no longer do... so sad.
    Btw, I always wanted you to be president, but I now believe you're too nice. We need a bulldog fighting for us! But so glad you're there fighting an educational fight! Love ya!

• SHIRLEEN BECKER

08/22/2019 02:35 PM

VERY CLEAR EXPLANATION. SHOULD BE GIVEN ON A MAJOR NETWORK CHANNEL, AT LEAST ON FOX NEWS!!!

• Mary T Del Buono

08/22/2019 02:30 PM

When young we want to get rid of old stuff...the electorial college...we need it...understanding this electorial college must be used all the time...teaching the youths this is a good thing...showing the maps...we the people would not hear about who is running...money would go to the big states...Calif. New York, Texas and Florida...no one would know who is running for president...they would not be able to spend any money...I am not very good at explaining the electorial college...but it must be taught to our young people...

• RAFO

08/22/2019 02:25 PM

It’s so sad there’s so many people that haven’t a clue... that we’re not a Democracy (i.e. mob rule) but a representative republic. Our founders were much smarter than we are and created the EC for a reason... that reason has been lost on this current generation. They just see it as a road block to their “mob rule” plans, which is EXACTLY as it was supposed to function. To remove it means the smaller less populated states will have NO VOICE. Stupid people... go read your history to see WHY our Constitution designed things the way they are!

• Daniel Alvies

08/22/2019 02:12 PM

Keep the Electoral College for sure.

• Steve Ellison

08/22/2019 02:01 PM

THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE WAS SET UP BY OUR SMART & WISE FOUNDING FATHERS AFTER MUCH DISCUSSION VIA THEIR "FEDERALIST PAPERS" IF THEY WOULD ONLY READ ABOUT OUR HISTORY. THIS IS BEST CONCEPT AND COMMON SENSE OF THE PRESIDENT ELECTION.
    ......................PERIOD.............THOSE THAT DON'T KNOW ABOUT IT ARE VERY IGNORANT AND THEN SPIT OUT THIS DRABBLE ...(REALLY = BS) ......SHOW THEIR STUPIDITY AND ANTI - AMERICAN PHILOSOPHY.

• sam powell

08/22/2019 01:53 PM

i think you're definitely smarter than AOC!

• David W Roth

08/22/2019 01:41 PM

This needs to be broadcast and rebroadcast over and over in every state (except maybe NY and California.) Thanks for making it so clear why we need the Electoral College.

Does The ELECTORAL COLLEGE Need To Go?

August 22, 2019

• rodney burke

08/22/2019 04:25 PM

• William Rohman

08/22/2019 04:25 PM

• Lynda Richards

08/22/2019 04:02 PM

You are correct, whatever college gave her a degree needs to go.

• Laurena Maxa

08/22/2019 03:52 PM

• Melvin Carter

08/22/2019 03:49 PM

• Ronald Babcock/ [email protected],com

08/22/2019 03:36 PM

• Worda M Lovett

08/22/2019 03:18 PM

• Elaine Liming

08/22/2019 02:52 PM

I am voting to keep the electoral college.

• John Metcalf

08/22/2019 02:50 PM

• Karen Cooney

08/22/2019 02:36 PM

Thank you so much! You're doing what our schools no longer do... so sad.

• SHIRLEEN BECKER

08/22/2019 02:35 PM

• Mary T Del Buono

08/22/2019 02:30 PM

• RAFO

08/22/2019 02:25 PM

• Daniel Alvies

08/22/2019 02:12 PM

Keep the Electoral College for sure.

• Steve Ellison

08/22/2019 02:01 PM

• sam powell

08/22/2019 01:53 PM

i think you're definitely smarter than AOC!

• David W Roth

08/22/2019 01:41 PM

Does The ELECTORAL COLLEGE Need To Go?

August 22, 2019

• rodney burke

08/22/2019 04:25 PM

• William Rohman

08/22/2019 04:25 PM

• Lynda Richards

08/22/2019 04:02 PM

You are correct, whatever college gave her a degree needs to go.

• Laurena Maxa

08/22/2019 03:52 PM

• Melvin Carter

08/22/2019 03:49 PM

• Ronald Babcock/ [email protected],com

08/22/2019 03:36 PM

• Worda M Lovett

08/22/2019 03:18 PM

• Elaine Liming

08/22/2019 02:52 PM

I am voting to keep the electoral college.

• John Metcalf

08/22/2019 02:50 PM

• Karen Cooney

08/22/2019 02:36 PM

Thank you so much! You're doing what our schools no longer do... so sad.

• SHIRLEEN BECKER

08/22/2019 02:35 PM

• Mary T Del Buono

08/22/2019 02:30 PM

• RAFO

08/22/2019 02:25 PM

• Daniel Alvies

08/22/2019 02:12 PM

Keep the Electoral College for sure.

• Steve Ellison

08/22/2019 02:01 PM

• sam powell

08/22/2019 01:53 PM

i think you're definitely smarter than AOC!

• David W Roth