"Compassion" in California

June 10, 2019

It’s bad enough that California taxpayers have to worry about getting stuck by discarded drug needles.  Now, Gov. Gavin Newsom and Democrats in the state legislature want to stick them with the cost of having California become the first state to provide free government health care to tens of thousands of illegal immigrants.  Under the deal (which has yet to pass, but undoubtedly will), illegal residents age 19 to 25 would be allowed to enroll in Medi-Cal, the state’s version of Medicaid.

The cost is estimated at $98 million.  But if I were a betting man, I’d bet the farm that it will be far more than that, with far more demand for care than anticipated, far more illegal residents claiming to be in the eligible age group than estimated, and free health care proving to be a giant magnet to attract more illegal immigrants who will come pouring in.

And how will this be paid for?  By resurrecting the most onerous aspect of Obamacare, the one the Republican Congress got rid of: the tax on people who don’t have health insurance.  That’s right, if you can’t afford health insurance, the state will take away even more of your money to provide free health insurance to illegal immigrants while you still go without, only you'll have even less money to pay your doctor bills out of pocket.  That’s called “compassion,” California liberal-style.

California leftists like to brag that big social movements start in California and move east.  Let’s hope this idea remains quarantined in California along with the typhus, although I imagine it is going to result in even more California taxpayers moving east.

• Michael Galloway

06/10/2019 08:55 PM

Imagine that . . . Democrats in California wanting to spend $98 million plus to give free health care to ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS. Wake up America because the Democratic party if they get their way with their socialist agenda, will do the same for the entire nation, giving free health care to illegal immigrants or invaders, while many U.S. citizens go without health care or make very difficult decisions between health care and paying their bills and buying groceries. Free health care to illegals while many of our U.S. veterans go without health care or are homeless on the streets. Wake up America. Never, ever again vote for a Democrat anywhere at any level. At least the California citizens who would be punished and burden with this, when they start fleeing east, would like to think they would vote Republican!!! Of course, I hope and pray that masses upon masses of people in 2020 will vote Republican and stop this attempt to financially break and destroy our nation.

• Teri Elmendorf McLean

06/10/2019 07:22 PM

Are you kidding me! We are having to appeal getting my 90-year old grandmother approved for Medi-cal. My husband and I are killing ourselves taking care of her (she's in the final stages of Alzheimer's and Dementia) and for over 2 years we have been trying to get her medi-cal that will give her the care and us the help we need. We just got her second denial last week and requested the appeal today. She was born in Buffalo, NY in 1929, first generation American go polish immigrants and has lived in CA since the 1960's. Disgusted by this state.

• joseph orsini PhD

06/10/2019 07:15 PM

COSTS of ILLEGALS to TAXPAYERS: how much?

Why is there no information??? Certainly varies by state, but what is the Fed. cost?

• Diana Ross

06/10/2019 07:14 PM

But , Governor Huckabee, all of those votes must be bought. The Democrat Party is depending on them. How can any of us possibly be against spending hard earned dollars to support non citizens?
    LOL! I hope you know I am being cynical.
    I met you many years ago at A Republican Gathering at Bella Vista, and have always admired you as a political candidate.

• Wayne C. Ortner

06/10/2019 06:52 PM

With the deal on California I do believe it is beyond time to cut their federal aid off completely! The more they get away with the more socialism they do. Our Bible say to help the needy by DONATIONS, when you force people to do so it is no longer a virtue

• Nelda White

06/10/2019 06:25 PM

If California is that dumb, I feel sorry for them. But they should not ask the federal government for any help. The federal government under the constitution should not give one cent for the irresponsible laws they pass.

• Pete Norton

06/10/2019 05:01 PM

California is what happens when the Government is one sided. It has become a Socialist state where Government is controlled by liberal elites. A Republican has NO voice here and we have all seen what happens to conservatives when they exercise their free speech here. This State is rapidly becoming an extension of Mexico. Along with that will come corruption on a scale even Gavin and Nancy are ill prepared for. It is a crying shame. A once beautiful State ruined by liberal elitists hell bent on Socialism. Funny thing. When the elitists responsible for the ruination of California retire they leave the State as well.

• Jerry Korba

06/10/2019 04:14 PM

I believe the State of California does not want to be part of the United States what country is backing this idea. People of higher education and people with wealth are being driven out only to be placed by people that will work cheaply or enslaved by big business just like the Dems Socialists fore fathers did a few centuries ago. Big promises made that will never be delivered while the well to do citizens leave, the helpless move in with no one to help or protect them from big business. The only thing missing will be the bill of sale to buy the new work force. Even the Dems. can see this coming and are they trying to stop it NO they recommend it; so what everybody knows the Dems. want the power to tell the the people how to live life by the standard it wants them to have please look at the way the Democratic cities are run better make a decision this election season coming up Rat infestation Human Waste cardboard cities, tents donkey and cart lifestyle if that's what you want try it for a year see what homeless feels like then cast your vote, if you are still mentally capable try the R on the ballot.

• Lula Broome

06/10/2019 03:49 PM

I would hope that some conservative somewhere would have enough common sense to cut off all federal funds to California. I do not want any of my taxpayer dollars to pay for such as this!!!

• L O Lockhart

06/10/2019 03:48 PM

It’s all done for illegal votes. Fill the state with illegals. Fill the voter box with democrat votes.

• BG

06/10/2019 03:17 PM

Sadly when those Americans escape CA they will bring their liberal ideas with them to contaminate the rest of our states. CA, now having gotten rid of those pesky Americans, will continue annexing American land to the third world. Yet no one mentions that these state healthcare bills are also funded by federal dollars.

It is time the federal government went in and arrested this corrupt governor for aiding and abetting illegal aliens, which is against federal law. Everyone, including CA's American citizens would scream in outrage, but sigh in relief under their breath.

• Carol Mathews

06/10/2019 03:16 PM

I think it is an utter disgrace that they would even consider this program with all the hundreds of homeless people living in filth on the streets in that state. California is another country on the border of the US. It just doesn't fit anything the rest of the country stands for. Fast becoming the socialist state with 2 classes of people, the silicon valley and the very poor. Anything in between is doomed and if possible, needs to "migrate" away from there.
    Does it not occur to any of the socialist promoters that the wealthy who they have to first start taxing do not have to live in this country. They can close their businesses, take their money and live anywhere they want. Then you go down to the next step and many of them can also sell out, and move until it is only the poor left, no money, no food, no medical, nothing. Common sense is not common. Seems most politicians are completely without it. Maybe that is the coming criteria on the aptitude test; no common sense, become a politician.

• Judith Hanes

06/10/2019 03:10 PM

Thanks for your common sense voice in a world of nonsense promoted by leftists. I appreciate your efforts.

• Dave Newbry

06/10/2019 03:10 PM

The democRATs will never lose another election. The exponential increase in their voting base will certainly take care of that.

• Jean Loveless

06/10/2019 03:08 PM

So, those of us in California have high property taxes, high income taxes, and have sacrificed in order to pay for our high insurance premiums. No wonder people are using drugs and alcohol, and hoping to die!

• Barney Flint

06/10/2019 02:43 PM

Well, why not just rename California to Mexico North. Give the illegals the keys to the governor's mansion and call it a day.

• John Dahlke

06/10/2019 02:23 PM

Immigration Fix! Funnel all the illegals into California. Let them have them all. California then can declare themselves a separate country. We then build a wall separating CA from the rest of the US. See how long they last. Let CA have all the socialists, left wingers, outspoken Hollywood idiots and the entire illegal population. May they live in peace. We then got rid of 80% of our headaches!

• Carmine Fea

06/10/2019 02:10 PM

Why would the taxpayers of this country pay for California's Medi-Cal when Medi-Cal pays for healthcare for people in the country illegally. As I read, Medi-Cal is California's Medicaid program and is paid for equally by state and federal taxpayers. So not only will California be sticking California taxpayers with paying for healthcare for illegal immigrants; but, as well, California will be sticking the taxpayers of the country with paying for healthcare for illegal immigrants.

• Tim Shanahan

06/10/2019 02:00 PM

The Dems and the Left are so desperate and despicable in their desire to set up future, illegal voters, they will do so at the expense, quite literally, of the U.S. citizen and legal aliens.

Sad and so, so,maddening.

• Dorothy Salmon

06/10/2019 01:42 PM

I was born and I've lived my entire life in Southern California. I am nearing retirement age and have decided to dis-own California, and move out of state to live the rest of my life. Reluctantly I gave this state one more chance.... If Gavin Newsome is nominated Governor, this will be my sign to sell my house, pack my things and call Kentucky my new home.... I have such sadness to leave because California is where I would prefer to stay, but I just can't. I do not agree with the liberal agenda, and being able to control this in my life.... I'm out of here !

• Marlene Helfrick

06/10/2019 01:40 PM

Let's think about putting up a border wall between California and the rest of America. If the government stays the same Nazi dominated agenda, we need protection from them. Any conservatives in California need to move out, or suffer the slow death of being taxed into abject poverty. The illegals out number you and will vote democrat.

• Stephen Russell

06/10/2019 01:35 PM

NO, Seed for revolt alone, many loved it when that mandate was killed, Bad move Dems
    Then U pay for it OK, NOT me.
    Sorry no.

• Vicki Kuhl

06/10/2019 01:20 PM

I love Florida. At least for now we are still Republican and with a fight to keep it right! I am from Illinois originally but am selling my property there as now we have Gov Pritzker to contend with. First he is making us an abortion capital and now he is expanding casinos and legalizing pot. I am so out of there. God help us

• Thomas R Sprenger

06/10/2019 01:13 PM

I am sick and tired of the Nancy Pelosi ilk including Senators Dianne Feinstein and Chuck Schumer. I am making it my personal business at every opportunity to avoid spending money in California and New York. In 1966 when I was 35 years old I ran for the Manatee County School Board in Florida and I squeaked in with 72% of the vote. That was the end for a liberal New York transplant who was the elected superintendent of schools here. As a conservative kid who grew up in Kentucky, I can spot a liberal politician from a long distance. I supported Donal Trump for President of the United States with money in 2016 and will repeat that next year, and I choose to do so again in 2020. Thank you President Trump for all of your difficult work and time in trying to make The United States of America a strong country again. Happy Birthday, Mr. President.

• Joe Analco

06/10/2019 01:03 PM

The Destruction of the United States using one dumb idea after another. WAKE UP AMERICA !

"Compassion" in California

June 10, 2019

• Michael Galloway

06/10/2019 08:55 PM

• Teri Elmendorf McLean

06/10/2019 07:22 PM

• joseph orsini PhD

06/10/2019 07:15 PM

COSTS of ILLEGALS to TAXPAYERS: how much?

• Diana Ross

06/10/2019 07:14 PM

LOL! I hope you know I am being cynical.

• Wayne C. Ortner

• John Dahlke

06/10/2019 02:23 PM

• Carmine Fea

06/10/2019 02:10 PM

• Tim Shanahan

06/10/2019 02:00 PM

Sad and so, so,maddening.

• Dorothy Salmon

06/10/2019 01:42 PM

• Marlene Helfrick

06/10/2019 01:40 PM

• Stephen Russell

06/10/2019 01:35 PM

Then U pay for it OK, NOT me.
    Sorry no.

• Michael Galloway

06/10/2019 08:55 PM

• Teri Elmendorf McLean

06/10/2019 07:22 PM

• joseph orsini PhD

06/10/2019 07:15 PM

COSTS of ILLEGALS to TAXPAYERS: how much?

• Diana Ross

06/10/2019 07:14 PM

LOL! I hope you know I am being cynical.

• Wayne C. Ortner

• John Dahlke

06/10/2019 02:23 PM

• Carmine Fea

06/10/2019 02:10 PM

• Tim Shanahan

06/10/2019 02:00 PM

Sad and so, so,maddening.

• Dorothy Salmon

06/10/2019 01:42 PM

• Marlene Helfrick

06/10/2019 01:40 PM

• Stephen Russell

06/10/2019 01:35 PM

Then U pay for it OK, NOT me.
    Sorry no.