From Tom:

Okay, I want to challenge you with personal action and a question. Firstly, you say you read these; well, prove it, Mike.  Respond to my question, and that is what the hell happened to our two-party system? Why is it that this President has few in his own party supporting him. We should not forget that Mitch McConnell could have allowed a Senate vote and this President could have gone on to build the wall we need. But the Senate leader refused, citing a political environment problem –- (bleep), he sold this President out. So prove my cynical brain wrong and write back to me...with your answer about the Republican Party.

From me:

Tom, you do have a cynical brain if you think I don’t read the comments. It’s just impossible to follow up on each one personally, so we try to address a representative few in the newsletter.

As for the two-party system, America’s founders foresaw the hazards of that and did not want it, but that’s the way the political power struggle evolved, and in very short order.

They also wanted to put obstacles in the way of government assuming too much power and acting too quickly, and in that sense they have at least partially succeeded. Even if all the Republicans managed to walk in lockstep, they still would have only a small majority in the Senate. It takes 60 votes, “cloture,” for Sen. McConnell to end a filibuster and get a bill to the floor for a vote, and that requires the defection of some Democrats.  That’s the “political environment problem” he was referring to.  Under the iron hand of Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, that’s not likely to happen, even with the more moderate “blue dog” Dems, which are an endangered species, as they are increasingly marginalized by rabidly progressive/socialist types such as Kamala Harris and Elizabeth Warren (and, in the House, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who is pushing for primary challenges against all of them).

Interestingly, we’re just starting to see some cracks in the Dems’ armor over this far-far-left celebration of late term abortion/infanticide. It will be interesting to see what happens there. Maybe there is actually an ethical line that a fewDemocrats will not cross.  But I digress.

If keeping the Republicans together seems about like herding feral cats, one factor is that certain states just aren’t as conservative as others.  That’s the reality –- Maine isn’t South Carolina. The senators we have are the ones who can get elected in their respective states. If we want that to change, then more right-leaning candidates are going to have to run and gain support in more states. It’s going to take a conservative grass-roots effort.

Another factor in this:  the Republican politicians who are the most vocally anti-Trump get the most media attention, and they are well aware of that. Jeff Flake knew the CNN cameras would focus on him with adoration whenever he tried to get in the way of “Trump’s wall.” John McCain (rest his soul) knew that he could always count on lavishpraise from the New York Times when he criticized members of his own party. The mainstream media loved him –- until he was actually running for office against a Democrat; then he became the enemy.

Those “never-Trumpers” within the Republican Party need to face reality: even if they find a conservative-enough Democrat to help elect, that person will inevitably end up bowing to the omnipotent leftist leaders in House and Senate. Then they’ll blame Mitch McConnell instead of the “political environment” they themselves helped create. They should imagine when they mark their ballot for ANY Democrat that they are, in effect, marking it for Nancy Pelosi or Chuck Schumer. (If that doesn’t cure them, I don’t know what will.) And they need to work on getting more conservative Republicans into office.

We as individuals have to decide to make a difference.  As another reader wrote (see, I read them), “I can lay down and be part of the problem or I can stand up and fight back, even if it’s in a small way.”  He felt guilty that he had quit writing his blog and wanted to start back, with more of a promotional push this time. This is the kind of thing we should all do --- especially those of us in more moderately-red states.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

Immutable laws of life

Sarah's story

"Love your neighbor"

ISIS reduced to memes

• Linda Slabon

02/04/2019 07:28 AM

Why don't they call abortion what it is, Murder!! There is no reason for a woman today to be pregnant. There are many ways to prevent pregnancy. To take a life of a child seems to be okay to the Democrats and Planned Parenthood (They murder they do not plan parenthood).
    It is a sin to murder an innocent child. But the big issue is why do they not see this as murder!!! They have been blinded by Satan. May God continue to bless you and your family, Mike.

• Ann Bouchard

02/04/2019 07:16 AM

What is ironic is that dogma and doctrine not morality taught by religion that has ruined America. The Founder’s who I love did not forsee this. It is not the party system although they are a catalyst. I’d like to see other parties involved. America is not the first country to be ruined by it. The good news is, that America can be fixed.

• Sandra Weaver

02/04/2019 06:55 AM

I have to agree with what Tom said. Some Republicans are NOT backing our President. President Trump has to fight for the wall and He shouldn't have to. Sad. The Dems are lying every time they get on TV news.

• Kevin J Cook

02/04/2019 05:47 AM

As soon as good people and “Christians” realize they support baby murder, marriage perversion, freedom killing socialist policies then we will never have a Chuck U and Pelousy problem

• Michael Hutch

02/04/2019 05:43 AM

It comes down to guts. POTUS said he would drain the swamp. He's working on it but republican's are being gutless to face the the flack. I was a Paul Ryan supporter in the beginning. His lack of real leadership is a leading contributor to a downward spiral

• Edward E. Engle

02/04/2019 01:40 AM

Mike:

I saw your vote on whether or not Illegal Immigrants should receive Social Security (SS). My immediate answer would be a resounding "NO". But, your poll also made the distinction that "they don't contribute". This is not entirely true. Although many Illegals work for "money under the table", others do work within the system, paying federal, state and SS taxes. The SS taxes that they pay presumably go into the SS coffers. So, if we are not going to pay out SS to these illegal individuals who paid in, then we should at least make an effort to return the money they paid in.

• Sharon Durst

02/04/2019 01:38 AM

I left the Republican Party years ago because so disgusted with them for not taking a stand. The real issue though is that We the People are no longer represented as the Constitution guaranteed because the House was fixed in 1929 at 435 members. We should have 7,000 Representatives in the House if we had 1:50,000 or at least 1:100,000 constituents. That's what is the representation level of Great Britain, from whom we fought a war so we could have representation! Today, we are a ratio of 1:750,000 ! If we had kept increasing the numbers with the population as per the Constitution that was ratified but has not been allowed to be in use, we would accept that number as natural but today it seems like bigger government when in fact it would be smaller government. Think of all the staff, lobbyists, etc. that would not be needed. What we have now are a bunch of self-serving, career bureaucrats who are accountable only to the money kings and NOT to the people. We the People need to stand up and take our country back by insisting on Unfixing the number of Representatives and giving us back our Power. I can't list all the facts here but you, Governor, are a very smart man and can see why we are in the "fix" we're in. No longer are we a Republic. Now we are a Democratic Socialist government on our way to losing all that our forefathers so courageously gave us and no one seems to understand what we've allowed to happen....frogs in a pot. Thanks for hearing me out. You are one of the few good men left in politics and so is your daughter. Where we go one, we go all. Love Trump because he's not owned by the Masters. That's why "they" have to get rid of him; including those who call themselves Republicans and are only playing games to keep us confused about how they've given our Republic away.

• Wayne Luckert

02/04/2019 01:07 AM

I hope the far left Democrat party will show some respect towards our President during his State Of The Union adress. I`m shure that won't happen because they hate President Trump so much.

• Catherine Schrader Bankhead

02/04/2019 12:20 AM

Can you produce a list of all the good bills and changes President Trump has done since he has been in office? I know of the big things but I would like to know of the ‘smaller’ things we don’t hear about in the media. I could really use a good list to counter naysayers!!! Catharine Bankhead

• Ruth Ferraro

02/03/2019 11:57 PM

Love your reply to the division in the Republican party! You are so right on! So many of these politicians are more concerned about votes than what's happening to this country. May God bless our President, Mike Pence, Sarah, and you for always saying the truth and doing everything in a Godly manner! I may not comment on all your editorials but I certainly do read them every day. Thank you.

• CORA MOSER

02/03/2019 11:28 PM

I TOO AM TOTALLY DISILLUSIONED WITH THE REPUBLICAN PARTY! "UNITED WE STAND...DIVIDED WE FALL!" I CAN AGREE WITH SOME OF THE REMARKS IN YOUR ANSWER..BUT I CONSIDER THEM A BUNCH OF SPINELESS POLITICIANS, WHO ARE MORE INTERESTED IN THEIR OWN PERSONAL POWER, THAN THESE "UNITED (and i question that!) STATES! I AM WILLING TO DONATE TO TRUMP'S CAMPAIGNS..BUT NOT TO THE REPUBLICAN PARTY..I THINK WHOEVER IS AT THE TOP OF THIS ORGANIZATION SHOULD SERIOUSLY THINK ABOUT A DRASTIC CHANGE.

DIFFERENT SUBJECT: WHY DOESN'T PRESIDENT TRUMP EMPHASIZE IN BUILDING THE WALL ON OUR SOUTHERN BORDER, IT WILL BE A ONE TIME EXPENSE WHICH ALL THE OTHER ALTERNATIVES WILL BE AN ANNUAL ITEM FOR BUDGETING? IT SHOULD PROVE TO BE COST EFFECTIVE AS PER FEWER REQUIRED PERSONNEL, VEHICLES ETC. A FEW TOWERS ON THE WALL SHOULD PROVE TO BE EFFECTIVE FOR MANY MILES. THESE TOWERS WOULD REQUIRE A MINIMUM OF PERSONNEL; ALERTING DRONES OR OTHER AIR POWER YO CHECK OUT SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY. ALONG WITH NEW TECHNOLOGY THIS WOULD SEEM TO BE THE ONLY ANSWER. AND IN THE PAST 16 YEARS WHEN DEMOCRATS HAVE AGREED TO BORDER SECURITY; AND HAVE BUDGETED BILLIONS, WHAT IS THERE TO SHOW FOR THOSE FUNDS?? NOTHING BUT BAND AID SOLUTIONS. AND THIS TRAFFICKING IS GOING TO STEADILY INCREASE AS OTHER SOCIALIST NATIONS ARE GOING UNDER. I GUESS YOU KNOW ALL THIS.
    P.S. I STILL HAVE YOUR BUMPER STICKER ON MY CAR FOR WHEN YOU RAN FOR PRESIDENT...LOVED YOU..VOTED FOR YOU...STAY STRONG.

• Jeff Smith

02/03/2019 11:23 PM

I believe Convention of states is the only way to stop a TO BIG corrupt federal Government.
    The Dems are Socialist and most of the GOP are in their pockets.

• Douglas Morgan

02/03/2019 10:53 PM

Mike, I sincerely thank you for your daily updates. You ARE a source that I trust for true representation of all the events and developments that you write about. However, I still believe republicans, even when they have the majority, cower to the loud left because they are afraid of negative coverage by the leftist fake news media. WE do expect our republican representatives and senators to take a firm and meaningful stand on issues such as the Wall as they did with the Kavanaugh confirmation. How do we instill confidence in our conservative representatives to take a loud and bold stand for good as do the likes of AOC to be bold, (even though stupid) and loud with their policy proposals.

• Rodney Salisbury

02/03/2019 10:41 PM

I would like to remind everyone that Democrats claim they will give the Funds that were asked for but not to build the wall. Their approach will result in a reoccurring need to spend this amount plus inflation every year which also means having this fight every year!
    Following Trumps plan will result in a one time spending of the asked for amount and then a need for a much smaller amount for human and AI support to back up the primary wall.
    The Wall in its self will deture many from even trying and send a message that the only way to come to the USA is the legal way. Republicans need to have a plan to expedite legal entry.

• Norris Harod

02/03/2019 10:32 PM

What happened to the Reconciliation Bill the House passed that the Senate could have passed with 51 votes? That is the one that died due to McConnell inaction-- not due to 60 votes. And we know he can stop the filibuster after awhile without 60 votes. Why does everyone seem to think we don't know the rules or our Constitution? We are beyond being mad for being lied to. Have you listened to Mitch lately? He has lots of excuses while he tight ropes pretending he is for immigration reform. He personally cost us the Alabama seat by opposing the Primary winner and not defending him against the false news--much like they hit Kananaugh with. Mitch also got us our Alaska senator by encouraging the write-in to beat out the Primary winner. This is beyond disgusting and dishonest!!!!

• Beth Moore

02/03/2019 10:17 PM

Mitch McConnell could have ended the “fake filibuster” at any time and supported President Trump .

• wynara sleziak

02/03/2019 08:10 PM

I love what you say and the way you say it!
    Keep up the good work and love to Sarah!!!!

• Gary Fitzner

02/03/2019 08:09 PM

Hi Mike: It is my opinion that the reason the Dems and Repbs appear to be the same is that they are all being paid way too much money by lobbyists to do their bidding, not the bidding of the people who voted them in. The 60 vote rule in the Senate is just a rule made up to keep anything from actually happening. The framers didn't make that rule, it isn't part of the constitution.

We should have repealed Obamacare, but couldn't because their was too much money being paid Republicans. We should have voted to build a WALL, but again, there is too much money being paid the Republicans, imho.

• Mary Ann Spade

02/03/2019 08:04 PM

Why doesn't the President call up the Army Corp of Engineers to build the wall, he's the head of the Army. I heard this on Fox from someone in the Army.

• Carol Wiliams

02/03/2019 07:44 PM

Mitch McConnell has been in congress for too long. He's part of the swamp . And working against Pres,. Trump just as much as the dems are.

• Lynn Mullins

02/03/2019 07:41 PM

Why did McConnell not go nuclear and put the wall funding up for vote? Simple majority would have given funding for the wall. Why is McConnell keeping Senate open during vacations to keep President Trump from making recess appointments. Obama did 32, GW Bush 171, Clinton 199, Trump 0. He has been doing that for 2 years. Seems to me the President could have done some good with that. I am very angry with Republicans in Congress for wasting 2 years and not been on MAGA train.

• bob pitvorec

02/03/2019 07:26 PM

thanks for your reply to the frustrated GOP reader. It is meaningful, understandable & very depressing. I don't mind that the Senate & House can't easily pass new laws, they pass too many with too many riders but it would be nice if an elected president could change the nature of the administrators that actually run our nation. Your daughter is the only Cabinet member who openly & repeatedly supports the President - Love her.

• Martin Kellerk

02/03/2019 06:53 PM

I use to financially support the Republican party. But since the Republican party does not support the president, I no longer support the party. I vote, and those who support Trump, I will vote for. Trump is the only politician who tries to fulfill his promises. Others make promises and don't keep them. Promises, promises, promises. Lies, lies, lies. Washington has done a great job of screwing up America. They had better get their act together before we become a banana republic, and we can kiss this country good by.
    A CONSERVATIVE.

• Martin Kellerk

02/03/2019 06:49 PM

A CONSERVATIVE.

• Sharon Dixon

02/03/2019 06:41 PM

Mike, I admire you and I love our president, but I have to agree with the gentleman who was upset with the republican party. That is one thing I have to give the Democrats. They lie, cheat, steal and would kill for power but they stick together. The republican party half the time can't even back our president. They NEED to stop worrying about whether the left is going to be mad or if they aren't going to look good on the national news and STAND behind their party.

From Tom:

From me:

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

Immutable laws of life

• Ruth Ferraro

02/03/2019 11:57 PM

• CORA MOSER

02/03/2019 11:28 PM

• Jeff Smith

02/03/2019 11:23 PM

The Dems are Socialist and most of the GOP are in their pockets.

• Douglas Morgan

02/03/2019 10:53 PM

• Rodney Salisbury

02/03/2019 10:41 PM

• Norris Harod

02/03/2019 10:32 PM

• Beth Moore

02/03/2019 10:17 PM

• wynara sleziak

02/03/2019 08:10 PM

I love what you say and the way you say it!
    Keep up the good work and love to Sarah!!!!

• Gary Fitzner

02/03/2019 06:49 PM

A CONSERVATIVE.

• Sharon Dixon

02/03/2019 06:41 PM

From Tom:

From me:

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

Immutable laws of life

• Ruth Ferraro

02/03/2019 11:57 PM

• CORA MOSER

02/03/2019 11:28 PM

• Jeff Smith

02/03/2019 11:23 PM

The Dems are Socialist and most of the GOP are in their pockets.

• Douglas Morgan

02/03/2019 10:53 PM

• Rodney Salisbury

02/03/2019 10:41 PM

• Norris Harod

02/03/2019 10:32 PM

• Beth Moore

02/03/2019 10:17 PM

• wynara sleziak

02/03/2019 08:10 PM

I love what you say and the way you say it!
    Keep up the good work and love to Sarah!!!!

• Gary Fitzner