August 14, 2020

If (when!) Joe Biden’s campaign manages to weasel out of any debate appearances with President Trump, Trump's campaign should just buy some prime airtime, put him next to an empty chair (or maybe a cardboard cut-out of Biden), and have him give the opening statement he might have made in a real debate (but significantly longer, since Joe's not there). Here's what I wish he would say:

PRESIDENT TRUMP:

"My fellow Americans, I love my country –- I love America, with all my heart. I always have. And I feel really bad right now, because millions of Americans, just because they don’t like ME –- don’t like my style, don’t like my tweets, don’t like things they think I’ve said (most of which are twisted-up versions that convey something I never intended) –- are ready to vote for anybody but me. Anybody. I mean……..ANYBODY. That’s what “never-Trumper” means, after all; I know that. And THAT means, right now, this country is in big trouble.

“Because they don’t like ME, some Americans might unwittingly put into power a radical political machine that will decimate their most basic freedoms, with ruthless, violent tactics and a long list of demands that will change America into something unrecognizable, probably forever. (Some of this has been a long time coming, but because the virus hit, they’re jumping on the crisis as a way to take control quickly.)

"Because they don’t like ME, some Americans might unwittingly offer inroads to groups that literally want to destroy American cities --- that are ALREADY destroying American cities, GREAT American cities.

“Because they don’t like ME, some in our government abused our own justice system to try to bring me down, and if they get away with what they did, mark my word, they’ll do it again to the next leader they don’t like. They went so far as to accuse me, with no evidence at all except for what was falsified, of working as an agent of Russia. It was crazy –- 2020 will go down in history as “the year America went crazy.” Who needs Russia to interfere in our elections when we’ve got our own bureaucracy to do it, as well as various outside influences with virtually limitless resources, pouring money into radical leftist anti-American groups?

“Because they don’t like ME, some Americans ignore all that I did --- before the virus arrived from China to at least temporarily undo much of it --- to bring the economy back like gangbusters after years of weak semi-recovery. They ignore the incredible benefit that came out of that to hard-working Americans, men and women, of all races, in all walks of life.

“Because they don’t like ME, some Americans even ignore the legitimate work of some doctors and researchers because they think it’s more important to believe I’m wrong. And they forget that I was the one to stop incoming travel from China and Europe, which likely saved thousands of American lives, when my opponents ridiculed that.

“Because they don’t like ME, some Americans paint me as someone I don’t even know. Really, I don’t even recognize myself from what they say. If I met that person, I wouldn’t like him, either! They’ve said I only care about myself, when that is such a lie. I know, I know, it’s just politics. Say whatever you need to, right? (Like Kamala, she knows all about that.) But those of you who don’t like me need to understand: the object of your hatred is a phantom, something made up. My own style –- which can be misinterpreted, I know –- may have helped fixate that in your mind, as I’m obviously not a slick politician, but it’s still false.

“I don’t care a whole lot about that part of it, because I knew when I got into politics that it would be rough. I got into it anyway because I love my country and had a beautiful vision of what we could do. I kind of expected the lies from the politicians, but the media –- you have a lot to answer for. Because YOU don’t like me, you have become a shameful propaganda machine for my opponents. You are to journalism what potted meat is to chateaubriand. And it doesn’t seem to matter to you how this might damage our country in the long run. You just wanted Americans to hate me.

“And now, because you did your job and some of them DO hate me, they may be on the verge of putting into power a group of people, those on the far left, who don’t know what in hell they are doing. I mean, they don’t. We can all see they don’t, unless pure anarchy really is what they want. They’ve shown they can’t run cities. They can’t run states. They won’t enforce the law. They’ll gladly take away your police AND your means to defend yourself.

And everywhere they look, they see racism that in most cases isn’t even there, except in their own minds. They don’t understand that in our country, in just the past several decades, most hearts and minds have changed drastically about race, which is fantastic. And it was only going to get better. It’s as if for some reason they weren’t comfortable with that and wanted to do something, quite deliberately, to make it worse again. I wonder why that is?

These people don’t care about law and order. They don’t care about your personal freedom. They don’t care about learning from history; they want to rewrite it to fit their own agenda, which is to tear down the results of hundreds of years of hard work and incredible advancement.

“Now, simply because some Americans don’t like ME, America is in jeopardy of losing everything that makes it...America. I want you to be aware of this when you cast your vote. PLEASE don’t put our beloved country into the hands of people who are set on destroying its very foundation, and I am not exaggerating, not one bit. I love this country. I’ve showed you the kinds of things I can do for this country, to make it better for all. We’ll get through this virus, and you know I’m the one who needs to be in charge of the vibrant recovery we’ll need afterwards.

So I’m asking for your vote. Remember, it has to be a landslide vote that can be counted right away because so many people will be mailing in their ballots –- vote in person! –-and it has be decisive to save this country from even more chaos. More is at stake now than almost ever before in the history of our country, and I know you realize that. Thank you with all my heart, and God bless America.

• Casey Eckert

08/16/2020 06:29 PM

I like your suggestion a lot. AND HERE'S ANOTHER: How about having Biden hold a small screen (TV), have the debate moderator "pose" a policy question to the President first, then have Joe's OWN WORDS played on the TV on his lap. Then have the moderator ask Joe the next policy question, with Joe answering in his own words, and then have the President answer. AND SO ON. When people can see/hear Biden against what the President wants to do, it might make a difference to undecided voters.

• Amy Napier

08/16/2020 06:18 PM

Thank you for sharing, Laura. That was amazing and covered everything I wish our great President would say.

• Robin Jones

08/16/2020 06:17 PM

Perfectly stated! Thank you.

• Bob Topp

08/16/2020 06:02 PM

Laura, this is an outstanding summary of a misguided, warped perception that needs so desperately to be overcome. The second misperception that needs to get into the public eye is that Biden is a moderate. With so much falsehood to be countered, I depend on your web site for truth in the news.

• Phyllis Ruiz

08/16/2020 05:55 PM

We love our PRESIDENT AND YES "WE" BOTH ARE VOTING FOR HIM!!! HE IS A WONDERFUL PRESIDENT AND I TELL EVERYONE!! GOD WILL ALWAYS PREVAIL!! GOD BLESS AMERICA

• Phillip Brock

08/16/2020 05:52 PM

Agree with your narrative, this would make a great speech for the President!

I am very troubled when you have "leaders" in the black community who tell their constituents to vote a certain way. Being from the SC Midlands, I'm just up the road from Jim Clyburn's district. He is spewing the lies about the President and is obediently following the DNC playbook. Even though this president has done more to aid the black community than anyone in our lifetime, he is influencing his constituents to vote according to party since they owe the DNC to do so. I pray that many of these folk think for themselves and those who are Christians pray for wisdom. There is so much at stake in November and the wrong choice hurts us all. May God grant spiritual insight for all to see that this president wants to help every American. Thank you for the wonderful article!

• Whitney Williams

08/16/2020 05:48 PM

The narrative presented by Laura Ainsworth . . . . very interesting and patriotic. I conclude that President Trump has been an "on top of it" president, exceeding the terms of most previous presidents. America has been given the opportunity to turn itself around and become a constitutional government/republic. All was looking up and progressing favorably until the Wuhan (Covid-19) virus created a world wide chaos. So sad that America is plagued with false-news journalists and liberally left progressive politicians. The patriotism that created the most unique nation in the history of the world is very lacking in too many self-centered and low-information Americans.

• Patricia L Martin

08/16/2020 05:44 PM

My President should really say this. I think so many people hate him yet have no idea of all the accomplishments he did for our country because they never hear about them from the MSM. And the left tries to credit themselves with the President's accomplishments including during this pandemic. I have rarely ever heard my President give himself credit - yet he always uses "We" or "Us" as a team, yet the left brands my President as a narcissist. He is truly a man who knows how to lead and help America florish - and this letter is a small reminder of just some of what My President has accomplished in the last 3 1/2 years.

• Denise Berger

08/16/2020 05:36 PM

AMEN! AMEN!!!

• Greta Lorworth-Hofmeister

08/16/2020 05:33 PM

Truer words never spoken!!

• Joann Maager

08/16/2020 05:18 PM

What an outstanding recommendation of a speech. You hit every nail on the head. More of his accomplishments could have been addressed also. He has made so many good moves and that is really why he is so apposed. He has been an amazing president. History will prove that and if he gets another term, wow for America.

• Joann Maager

08/16/2020 05:17 PM

• Vicki Coons

08/16/2020 04:58 PM

Is there ANY way you could actually get President Trump to give this speech?!! It is wonderful!!

• Karen A Govreau

08/16/2020 04:43 PM

Love it!

• Kathy Wilson

08/16/2020 03:59 PM

Great article! I think you should send it onto President Trump as ideas for debates. Maybe Joe's positions on these things could be printed largely on posters and someone behind the cardboard Joe cutout can hold them up when Pres. Trump pauses to give Joe time to reply. Keep up the good work.

• Rosemary Spitzer

08/16/2020 03:41 PM

Bravo! Well said. I wish we could flood the country with this. I wish the GOP representatives were all out making this the news. Unfortunately I see Democrat’s everyday on the local news. Spread the word

• Deborah Venturini

08/16/2020 03:12 PM

Love the President Trump “debate” letter! Thank you for writing this! Send a copy to the White House and to all the newspapers!

• Janet Burton

08/16/2020 02:28 PM

Laura, I really hope our President reads your message . It is exactly what needs to be said . I to pray for a Republican landslide . Sadly too many of fellow AMERICANS are brainwashed by the media. Thank you for your insight .

• Nancy Bradley

08/16/2020 11:02 AM

OMG, Laura, you are the best. That was spot on perfect.

• Christine Carter

08/16/2020 09:36 AM

Laura,

That was excellent. Are you sharing it with President Trump and his speech writers. They could not do any better.

• Gary Carter

08/16/2020 08:31 AM

Good speech ... a little long, but good. Remember, if he wants to reach many on the left and especially young people, it must be delivered in a way that is "touching" to people who make most of their decisions with their emotions; unfortunately, not logic.

• Greg Hunter

08/16/2020 08:07 AM

If you can go to walmart you can go and VOTE,NO mail in voting the democrats are trying to STEAL this election because it’s the ONLY way they can win ??

• Joann Reifel

08/16/2020 04:17 AM

Just seconding Gregory Weinman's suggestions about addressing national issues. They are quite good!

Personally, I hate to see the Dreamers forced out as they have been. It's not a just practice. I'd love to see the job trades promoted. Living in a third world nation gives you a real appreciation for well trained electricians, plumbers and construction workers!!

• Joann Reifel

08/16/2020 04:08 AM

Maybe this should be his State of the Union address

• Linda Olds

08/16/2020 02:43 AM

This debate 'suggestion' is perfect. It should make millions of voters think. I'm working on a friend now, and this may help...!

August 14, 2020

PRESIDENT TRUMP:

• Casey Eckert

08/16/2020 06:29 PM

• Amy Napier

08/16/2020 06:18 PM

• Robin Jones

08/16/2020 06:17 PM

Perfectly stated! Thank you.

• Bob Topp

08/16/2020 06:02 PM

• Phyllis Ruiz

08/16/2020 05:55 PM

• Phillip Brock

08/16/2020 05:52 PM

Agree with your narrative, this would make a great speech for the President!

• Whitney Williams

08/16/2020 05:48 PM

• Patricia L Martin

08/16/2020 05:44 PM

• Denise Berger

08/16/2020 05:36 PM

AMEN! AMEN!!!

• Greta Lorworth-Hofmeister

08/16/2020 05:33 PM

Truer words never spoken!!

• Joann Maager

• Deborah Venturini

08/16/2020 03:12 PM

• Janet Burton

08/16/2020 02:28 PM

• Nancy Bradley

08/16/2020 11:02 AM

OMG, Laura, you are the best. That was spot on perfect.

• Christine Carter