NFL Commissioner tries to stop ratings dive

October 20, 2017 |

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has issued a ruling on players standing for the National Anthem: they’re not going to require them to do it. Although he added, “We believe everyone should stand for the national anthem. That's an important part of our policy.” But not important enough actually to enforce it. However, he also defended the players’ kneeling, but then added, “Our players will state to you publicly they are not doing this in any way to be disrespectful to the flag.” And finally: “What we’re trying to do is stay out of politics. We’re not looking to get into politics. What we’re looking to do is continue to keep people focused on football.”

So just to clarify: the NFL’s position is that everyone should stand to show respect for the flag, but they won’t make the players do it even though it offends a large number of fans, plus their show of disrespect is in no way a show of disrespect, and they’re just trying to stay out of politics by allowing people who work for them to tank their business by making a political statement in the most offensive way possible. No offense!

I’ve heard it said that Mr. Goodell is paid $44 million a year. I have to assume that’s not for his communications skills. He tied himself into such a rhetorical pretzel, he should be the Olympic gymnastics commissioner.

You want people to focus on football again? Tell the players that they are in the stadium to play football, not make a political statement. If they like their average salaries of $2 million a year, then stand respectfully during the National Anthem, play the game, take a shower, then go out and protest all they want when they are off the company clock. Pretty simple, really. In fact, same deal every other employee in America has.

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT BELOW. I READ THEM!

• Rhonda Buck

10/20/2017 04:16 PM

I have not watched the football league that wants to be National but does not want to honor their Nation since the first time they kneeled to our National Anthem. I will not even watch the sports on the news until this sport season is over. I am not buying anything to represent that football league this Christmas or ever again. Why take off the National Anthem or refuse to play it when it was their fans that helped them to get overpaid. Pay our troops that high dollar because they respect and fight for us. I would like to see the name change from what it is because of their actions. They refuse to stand for our Nation take away the name please. If the coach can’t make them respect our Nation then we should insist they lose their title and help their pay go down by disrespecting them. Boycott the football league that thinks they deserve the title National Football League.

• Jane Keenan

10/20/2017 04:10 PM

I cannot believe that this "man" will not stand up for his beliefs and the section in the rule book that requires standing for the anthem! He is truly a gutless wonder! He should be replaced by someone who will discipline these brats! I am angry, have not watched since the first game, and have no plans to start watching again! Thank you for being the voice of reason, Governor!

• Diane Hollister

10/20/2017 02:28 PM

All this shows me is you have no control over your players. So you try and honey dip into the fact that they have their own beliefs. Well disrespecting the Flag is no place for kneeling. Do it some other way. Spend some of your millions and make it better for the oppressed. No that would be coming out of your pockets. But wait if we boycott football won't that hurt your pockets too? It sure will and you will see it more and more as long as they disrespect our Flag and our National Anthem. This is the beginning of your demise. Take that to the Bank.

• Edward G. Keller

10/20/2017 02:10 PM

Millions of loyal fans, now are being blocked from watching the Awesome, reverent, patriotic display of a huge flag presentation at the start of a game, many times is funded by tax payers, with active duty and reservists in uniforms presenting the colors, on orders with a smaller flag detail, it's deplorable.
    Then the fly over.....

Give me a break!

Bars, delivery pizzas, networks,

No longer getting money for this horrible display of disrespect to first responders, American service men and women in harm's way, and all Veterans that have served.

Not watching, as are others I know, which are many....

Not till this changes.

If you allow the employees drive our country and citizens from honoring our flag, then expect to hear The market place roar...

That is all....

• Edward G. Keller

10/20/2017 02:10 PM

Then the fly over.....

Give me a break!

Bars, delivery pizzas, networks,

Not watching, as are others I know, which are many....

Not till this changes.

That is all....

• Leslie Riner

10/20/2017 02:08 PM

Mr Huckabee, I concurr! The foundational core idea of a protest IS to make a 'political" statement! Whether the issues be social, economic or religious become political the moment of initiating, engaging, and actively participate in the promoting of support or opposition of the issues. The venue and platform does not effectively coincide or complement with the subject matter. A patron/fan does not pay admission to a sporting event to participate in a political protest/rally. They defrauded the public by not providing services paid for and extorting monies to fund their agenda. Protest with thei own dime on their own time. They're paid PLAY! I pay to watch them play either at the gate or cable bill! They should be forced too
    refund every cent to every unconsenting consumer they have hijacked!

• Gerry Heintz

10/20/2017 01:18 PM

If I was trying to destroy my business, this is exactly how I would do it.

• Gary Wiepking

10/20/2017 12:57 PM

I totally agree with your comments in this article. I haven’t watch an NFL game all year and don’t plan to. I am a Military Veteran and am insulted by the players taking a knee during the National Anthem. Maybe they are praying. Wishful thinking. The initials NFL really mean “No Fans Left”.

• James Bryant

10/20/2017 12:42 PM

Exactly!! Haven't watched football for a while now. I went to college football and pee wee football. Much more exciting.

• Andy Huddleston

10/20/2017 12:40 PM

I will continue to boycott the NFL. I am a former deputy sheriff from Texas, and I take offense to the players protest against law enforcement, under the guise of police brutality.

• Jerry good

10/20/2017 12:31 PM

I agree. At work you don’t have freedom of speech. Go by your employers rules or lose your job.

• Robert Green

10/20/2017 11:56 AM

I quit watching. Dont miss it. Woll never watch again.

• M Meier

10/20/2017 11:49 AM

I quit watching years ago, when I noticed players on the sidelines talking, spitting, getting a drink, and generally goofing off during the Anthem. Goodell's statement does not encourage me to return. Players want to protest, fine, do it on your own time. When they suit up, they need to have their butts on the field, stand respectfully for the Anthem (preferably with their hand over their heart), and play their best - no taking a knee on the sideline during the Anthem and no taking a knee on the field to run down the clock. Once the uniform is off, go protest your heart out.

• Sharon Stewart

10/20/2017 11:43 AM

I absolutely agree with you! Maybe Goodell should offer the sniveling babies incentive.. you know, like we pay thugs to not be thugs in California!!! Sarcasm intended....Love you and your awesome daughter, Mike!!!

• Maggie Cooper

10/20/2017 11:38 AM

I consider the NFL players, disrespecting our flag and national anthem, hypocrites. They want the attention but don't do anything constructive to help concerns. Do they donate money and time to their communities? If they really cared, they would be involved.

• Sylvia Burlingame

10/20/2017 11:37 AM

I couldn't agree more Mike-Im done with the NFL (love college football too) Guess I'll be following college football more now. The NFL won't get one more dime of my money or time-absolutely sick and tired of the disrespect and contempt this has shown for our flag, our country and military- they need to leave this country TODAY! Goodell is spineless

• Connie

10/20/2017 11:36 AM

I don't care what Goodall has to say! My family has stopped watching the NFL, stopped buying NFL stuff and have stopped supporting businesses that advertise during any NFL game...Papa John's being the 1st one! We won't stop boycotting the NFL and their sponsors until some accountability is shown and these players stand to honor our Flag and leave their propaganda off the football field. They are paid entertainers! Entertain us! You want to protest? Do it on your own time.

• Anita Cole

10/20/2017 11:36 AM

Amen, Mike, amen.

• Elizabeth Cody

10/20/2017 11:35 AM

How to say something without saying anything. The NFL stand has not changed and if this is not political, you could fool me. The players are there to play football...protest on their own time. Wonder what they would be doing if they weren't being paid millions. Don't see the people in the stands kneeling to protest whatever seems to be the problem of the day. Sick, sick of the whole thing.

• Sherry Coates

10/20/2017 11:34 AM

Exactly!!! Do your job while you’re on the clock. Then, your free time is up to you, just like every other job in America.

• Jeffrey Starr

10/20/2017 11:33 AM

I can appreciate the message. I'm offended as an American on the method.

• Beverly Robb

10/20/2017 11:28 AM

I am the wife of a US ARMY retiree, the mother of an Afghanistan veteran and the daughter of a US AIR FORCE deceased veteran. I used to love the NFL. However, since Colin Kapernick began disrespecting the National Anthem & our beloved flag I have boycotted them. My father died serving his country, my husband & son defended this wonderful nation (each have 3 different tours in combat zones) and for me to see them dishonored in such a blatant manner rips my heart out & infuriates me. These self righteous, over paid, ingrates need to stop & realize WHO pays their overly-inflated paychecks. They need to remember WHO has insured their ability to play & their right to protest without fear of retribution. They need to remember WHAT sacrifice has been paid & continues to be paid in BLOOD for their right to enjoy the freedoms offered in this beloved country, THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. We as a nation, used to be able to be united as one in our love of sports. To forget our problems & misfortunes for the few hours the game was playing. The troops would enjoy the Super Bowl, for a few hours being able to forget the chaos in their corner of the world and to feel PROUD to see their fellow Americans honoring the flag & in a sense their contribution & sometimes sacrifice. I will NEVER be ashamed of my country or Military ... but I am highly ashamed of many of it's people for their misguided, selfish, & childish demonstration of disrespect.

• Pamela Melotte

10/20/2017 11:27 AM

That's the way it is at the company I work for. You leave your politics and prejudices at home...not allowed on the job!

• Rick Moore

10/20/2017 11:16 AM

I don't think the NFL can recover from this. They don't deserve to at this point.

• Charles F Pine Sr

10/20/2017 11:14 AM

The NFL contains some of the worst people in the USA big paychecks and little brain cells the worst and the dumbest is the leader these educated overpaid people do not have enough sense to understand that they are causing a deep and large divide between the American people all they worry about their paychecks ,my family and many friends will return to the game when you wise up and take politics out of the game you are truly a bunch of fools .

• Frank Costa

10/20/2017 11:13 AM

R. Goodell and the billionaire franchise owners have convinced themselves that the worst is over. They mistakenly believe the fans will trickle back, now that we can't see the insult on TV before each game. Wrong. The fact that they are hiding the insult to pretend it isn't happening just fuels our anger. This is a "no compromise"issue for us. It's our way the highway. Period.

• Timothy Murphy

10/20/2017 11:09 AM

I would prefer the NFL tell the players to stay in the locker room during the national anthem if they choose not to show respect for the country.

• Deb

10/20/2017 11:04 AM

Spot on, my thoughts exactly, this guy is way overpaid. Players get away with too much junk, abuse,of animals, spouses, children etc. So why should we be surprised about disrespecting the flag. The face of the NFL is not a good one. Maybe the players should protest there own oppression and injustices before they point fingers.

• Amelia Little

10/20/2017 11:04 AM

He confuses me, for sure. Nothing like taking a firm stand on the issue. Oh, wait, not really a firm stand, but kind of a stand. Sort of.

• Joel Lee Burgess

10/20/2017 11:03 AM

I agree whole heartedly. I was a life long Miami Dolphins fan, but I'm U.S. Citizen. I have not watched an NFL game this season since week 1 of this year and I changed the channel after the Anthem because i was disgusted by what I saw. I will not watch another game this season. I've found that don't miss it as much as I thought I would so I might not watch again. Protest on your own time, not when I just wanted to watch some football. Now I'll just find something else to watch or do with my free time.

• Todd Russell

10/20/2017 11:00 AM

My joy for watching the NFL is gone, completely gone. I hate to say I'm a boycotting the NFL, but I'm not watching because of the ridiculous garbage that is going on. Just take a stand commissioner. If your bylaws say stand, then force them to stand. They can quit their job just like I can quit mine. You are displaying a spineless attitude where the employees dictate what can be tolerated by their boss. I don't believe my employer will fill the same way....

• Ellen Weaver

10/20/2017 10:48 AM

I absolutely agree with you!!! Goodell is a gutless coward focused only on his paycheck.

• VALARIE UNDERWOOD

10/20/2017 10:46 AM

It doesn't really matter what the players say. It wish perceived by Americans as disrespectful!! What that means ial that most people see them as spoiled brats and no one is paying any attention to them!!

• Sandra Bottorff

10/20/2017 10:46 AM

Well said, Governor! Mr. Goodell is an expert at Doublespeak!

• Michael Rucker

10/20/2017 10:41 AM

As Fall approaches each year, something excites me on the inside knowing that soon NFL Football will start, and going to the Football Games and watching the games on TV or at a Sports Bar and during the Holidays with friends and family has been a big part of my life since I was a small child of age 5 , now I'm 56 years old , and been enjoying watching any NFL game that is on TV, but this year of NFL Football has turned into personal political views and opinions by NFL Players during America's National Anthem by protesting by Kneeling or sitting or not even being on the field period or raising a racial fist , that is so Disrespectful to our Nation and to All American's who have fought and died or came back home wounded, why I'm I Offended , because I'm a U.S. Army Veteran and my only Son is a Police Officer.

I personal believe that honoring our veterans and Nation before each sporting game with standing with Honor and Respect and face the American Flag as our National Anthem is one of the highest honors to pay tribute to all those who have served from the beginning till the present , Respect America's National Anthem by Standing and placing your Right hand over your heart or Salute, and take your politics to Washington D.C. or to your State Capital, but don't dishonor and Disrespect the Game of Football over your poloctical views or Rascal views or whatever views, I'm here to escape all that world's problems and hatred, I just wanna enjoy a good game of Football !
    I'm hard working man employed by Ford Motor Company with over 30 years of seniority. And now I reading about people wanting to boycott company who have sponsers on commercials of NFL games, Like this Sheriff in Louisiana , now that kind of thinking is effecting plain old fashion hard working American's who work the assembly lines with blood sweat and tears everyday trying to make a living for their families and that is so wrong, when did this crap become a problem me.

Let's do some History on Ford Motor Company, Ford help make America into what it is today, by inventing a product that help change the world, and put millions of people to work and paid them a good working wage to help the working man live a respectful life for their families , and during the world Wars I & II , Ford produced Planes , Tanks, Trucks , Jeeps , And Weapons to help win the wars against Germany and Japan and gives to charities and other causes to help people during Hurricane and other natural disasters, so how dare you attack Ford Motor Company.

These NFL Players make so much Money way beyond what many think they should earn, but hey that's Football, and what has happened to Football being Classy , I see a touchdown being scored and I see these Classless Acts of Celebration going on that just turns my stomach, just Spike the damn Football like you've done it a hundred times before Like a True Champion Period!

So you keep kneeling,sitting,fist up, or not being on football field, and I mean just one player on that Team showing disrespect during America's National Anthem, and Good Bye Football, I have better things I can do.

Good Bye NFL Football from a 50 year Fan and U.S Army Veteran and Ford Worker .

• Patricia Douglas

10/20/2017 10:40 AM

They have this in their policy but choose NOT to enforce policy:( ! I choose NOT to attend, watch, or patrionisn any game or program!!

• K spradlin

10/20/2017 10:38 AM

They are paid to entertain us, so we can leave our everyday life behind us for a few hours. Leave your protests off the field.

• JimDole

10/20/2017 10:37 AM

The commish is totally wrong here. I am a retired Air Force Vet. I served proudly and honorably. I still work for a living. If the owner tells you to do something, do it and question later. The Commish and the owners SHOULD take a stand and tell the players that THEY WILL stand for the anthem. If the player doesn't stand, a $500,000 fine the first time. The second time, another $500,000 fine and taken to the locker room to turn in his uniform and removed from the stadium and told he is no longer on the team. When people's pay check gets affected, they may learn to obey. There are other ways to protest. Thank you for your time. God Bless.

• Floyd Rayburn

10/20/2017 10:36 AM

Sounds to me like Mr. Goodell is straddling the fence in order to appease everyone. It is not working and is only a show of weakness.

• Janice Sullivan

10/20/2017 10:35 AM

And it's as simple as that, thanks Governor Huckabee. Does the Commissioner really think the fans will be happy with that mushy statement???

• Gwen Long

10/20/2017 10:35 AM

If everyone in the NFL stood tomorrow, I would still NEVER watch again. By kneeling, they have shown the world
    How they really feel about our veterans, our present men and women serving overseas, our country, our flag and
    Our Policemen. I feel this could have been stopped the minute Kaepernick pulled this stunt. His coach only
    Needed to say stand for our National Anthem or get off the field. Just say NO to the NFL. The commissioner is
    A disgrace along with the Coaches.

• Diane Arguin

10/20/2017 10:31 AM

Protest on your own time!!!! Stand for the Anthem and the flag. And for all those who served and are serving for this great Country!!!!
    If you continue to kneel, sit, show a fist, I guarantee your ratings will continue to drop!!!! And your pocket cash!!!!

• MK

10/20/2017 10:29 AM

TOTALLY AGREE!!!

• Steve Rodriguez

10/20/2017 10:29 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with your assesment.
    Most of these players are joining in, not because they have a legitimate reason. They are simply jumping on the bandwagon. Several of them have been asked for specific incidents that caused them to join in and none of them could point to any. To them its just a general feeling that blacks are targeted by police. Which means simply, they have not experienced it themselves, they cant point to a single incident and they haven't done any research to identify why they are upset.
    Secondly, this is their job. They should follow the rules which include standing for the anthem. If they wish tp protest, they should take it somewhere else.
    Name any other business where they allow actions of employees to reduce revenue. They would be fired.

• Bob Sarrett

10/20/2017 10:24 AM

Not disrespectful? Not political? The reaction of the fans at the very first incident of kneeling during the National Anthem should have been a sign that the fans believed it was disrespectful. But they refused to listen. And as a result, many of us are done with the NFL.

• K.G.

10/20/2017 10:23 AM

If players want to protest they should spend their money satisfy their position ny taking out an AD to be aired !! Stop protesting on MY $$$$$$. I am paying for that broadcast and kneelers have not been invited to interupt the broadcast; that I am paying for. They are infringing on my rights and sealing my dollars time. they are offending along with millions of others by hijacking the broadcast of the game. And I do mean 'Hijacking'; their are doing that on my time and dollar..!! It is probably time to start a class action suit against the NFL, Players and Players Union to obtain compensation for their theft.

• Jonathan Zander

10/20/2017 10:23 AM

Well said. Spot on!

• Dawana Smith

10/20/2017 10:22 AM

When doing something with intent for good but it comes off as offensive, you stop doing it! The whole kneeling thing was offensive, the general disrespect for the fans and our country is just icing on the cake.. People are tired of this type of thing being shoved in our face... Enough. We haven't watched a down of NFL football this season and I have a high school football player in my house!

• Joseph Trokey

10/20/2017 10:22 AM

When I think of things like this I know that what those players do is just a small thing compared to what is going on in the world today. Don't get me wrong, I believe what they are doing is very foolish, especially considering they probably couldn't make the kind of money they make anywhere else yet they believe there is more discrimination against a particular race than there is anyone else. I wish they would look around and see what a foolish statement that is. Really though, what bothers me the most is a little sentence that comes from Gods' word. It says "And man did what was right in his own eyes". It's really sad when you can't see how blessed you really are. Is there injustice in the world? You better believe there is. You will never get it changed by taking a knee out on a football field. Only by Gods' help will things change for the good and you won't get that help if you are doing what is right in your own eyes. And before someone jumps up and say I shouldn't judge, I know I'm not perfect and I know I've done things that are wrong, but I also know when my focus is on Jesus the storm is of no consequence.

• Belva Jennings

10/20/2017 10:18 AM

Even if Goodell did all of those things; i.e., told players they were there to play, etc., it's too late. People already know what the players, the owners, and the commissioners really think of this country.

NFL Commissioner tries to stop ratings dive

October 20, 2017 |

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT BELOW. I READ THEM!

• Rhonda Buck

10/20/2017 04:16 PM

• Jane Keenan

10/20/2017 04:10 PM

• Diane Hollister

10/20/2017 02:28 PM

• Edward G. Keller

10/20/2017 02:10 PM

Then the fly over.....

Give me a break!

Bars, delivery pizzas, networks,

Not watching, as are others I know, which are many....

Not till this changes.

That is all....

• Edward G. Keller

10/20/2017 02:10 PM

Then the fly over.....

Give me a break!

Bars, delivery pizzas, networks,

Not watching, as are others I know, which are many....

Not till this changes.

That is all....

• Leslie Riner

10/20/2017 02:08 PM

refund every cent to every unconsenting consumer they have hijacked!

• Gerry Heintz

10/20/2017 01:18 PM

If I was trying to destroy my business, this is exactly how I would do it.

• Gary Wiepking

10/20/2017 12:57 PM

• James Bryant

10/20/2017 12:42 PM

• Andy Huddleston

10/20/2017 12:40 PM

• Jerry good

10/20/2017 12:31 PM

• Robert Green

10/20/2017 11:56 AM

I quit watching. Dont miss it. Woll never watch again.

• M Meier

• Elizabeth Cody

10/20/2017 11:35 AM

• Sherry Coates

10/20/2017 11:34 AM

• Jeffrey Starr

10/20/2017 11:33 AM

I can appreciate the message. I'm offended as an American on the method.

• Beverly Robb

• Ellen Weaver

10/20/2017 10:48 AM

• VALARIE UNDERWOOD

10/20/2017 10:46 AM

• Sandra Bottorff

10/20/2017 10:46 AM

Well said, Governor! Mr. Goodell is an expert at Doublespeak!

• Michael Rucker

10/20/2017 10:41 AM

Good Bye NFL Football from a 50 year Fan and U.S Army Veteran and Ford Worker .

• Patricia Douglas

10/20/2017 10:40 AM

• K spradlin

10/20/2017 10:38 AM

• JimDole

10/20/2017 10:37 AM

• Floyd Rayburn

10/20/2017 10:36 AM

• Janice Sullivan

10/20/2017 10:35 AM

• Gwen Long

10/20/2017 10:35 AM

A disgrace along with the Coaches.

• Diane Arguin

10/20/2017 10:31 AM

• MK

10/20/2017 10:29 AM

TOTALLY AGREE!!!

• Steve Rodriguez

10/20/2017 10:29 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with your assesment.

• Bob Sarrett

• Joseph Trokey

10/20/2017 10:22 AM

• Belva Jennings

10/20/2017 10:18 AM

NFL Commissioner tries to stop ratings dive

October 20, 2017 |

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT BELOW. I READ THEM!

• Rhonda Buck

10/20/2017 04:16 PM

• Jane Keenan

10/20/2017 04:10 PM

• Diane Hollister

10/20/2017 02:28 PM

• Edward G. Keller

10/20/2017 02:10 PM

Then the fly over.....

Give me a break!

Bars, delivery pizzas, networks,

Not watching, as are others I know, which are many....

Not till this changes.

That is all....

• Edward G. Keller

10/20/2017 02:10 PM

Then the fly over.....

Give me a break!

Bars, delivery pizzas, networks,

Not watching, as are others I know, which are many....

Not till this changes.

That is all....

• Leslie Riner

10/20/2017 02:08 PM

refund every cent to every unconsenting consumer they have hijacked!

• Gerry Heintz

10/20/2017 01:18 PM

If I was trying to destroy my business, this is exactly how I would do it.

• Gary Wiepking

10/20/2017 12:57 PM

• James Bryant

10/20/2017 12:42 PM

• Andy Huddleston

10/20/2017 12:40 PM

• Jerry good

10/20/2017 12:31 PM

• Robert Green

10/20/2017 11:56 AM

I quit watching. Dont miss it. Woll never watch again.

• M Meier

• Elizabeth Cody

10/20/2017 11:35 AM

• Sherry Coates

10/20/2017 11:34 AM

• Jeffrey Starr

10/20/2017 11:33 AM

I can appreciate the message. I'm offended as an American on the method.

• Beverly Robb

• Ellen Weaver

10/20/2017 10:48 AM

• VALARIE UNDERWOOD

10/20/2017 10:46 AM

• Sandra Bottorff

10/20/2017 10:46 AM

Well said, Governor! Mr. Goodell is an expert at Doublespeak!

• Michael Rucker

10/20/2017 10:41 AM

Good Bye NFL Football from a 50 year Fan and U.S Army Veteran and Ford Worker .

• Patricia Douglas

10/20/2017 10:40 AM

• K spradlin

10/20/2017 10:38 AM

• JimDole

10/20/2017 10:37 AM

• Floyd Rayburn

10/20/2017 10:36 AM

• Janice Sullivan

10/20/2017 10:35 AM

• Gwen Long

10/20/2017 10:35 AM

A disgrace along with the Coaches.

• Diane Arguin

10/20/2017 10:31 AM

• MK

10/20/2017 10:29 AM

TOTALLY AGREE!!!

• Steve Rodriguez

10/20/2017 10:29 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with your assesment.

• Bob Sarrett