NFL Commissioner tries to stop ratings dive

October 20, 2017 |

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has issued a ruling on players standing for the National Anthem: they’re not going to require them to do it. Although he added, “We believe everyone should stand for the national anthem. That's an important part of our policy.” But not important enough actually to enforce it. However, he also defended the players’ kneeling, but then added, “Our players will state to you publicly they are not doing this in any way to be disrespectful to the flag.” And finally: “What we’re trying to do is stay out of politics. We’re not looking to get into politics. What we’re looking to do is continue to keep people focused on football.”

So just to clarify: the NFL’s position is that everyone should stand to show respect for the flag, but they won’t make the players do it even though it offends a large number of fans, plus their show of disrespect is in no way a show of disrespect, and they’re just trying to stay out of politics by allowing people who work for them to tank their business by making a political statement in the most offensive way possible. No offense!

I’ve heard it said that Mr. Goodell is paid $44 million a year. I have to assume that’s not for his communications skills. He tied himself into such a rhetorical pretzel, he should be the Olympic gymnastics commissioner.

You want people to focus on football again? Tell the players that they are in the stadium to play football, not make a political statement. If they like their average salaries of $2 million a year, then stand respectfully during the National Anthem, play the game, take a shower, then go out and protest all they want when they are off the company clock. Pretty simple, really. In fact, same deal every other employee in America has.

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT BELOW. I READ THEM!

• Gary Moore/ ex NFL Fan

10/20/2017 10:18 AM

When a coach has a losing season he gets fired and goes away. Such is what should be Mr Goodalls, fate. He has lost the season and it's not even half way through. These "rogue" players need to learn they play at the pleasure of the ticket buying and TV watching fans. We do not appreciate having our nation and flag insulted by a bunch of over paid crybabies. Maybe they should go live in Africa if they want to see real equality

• Andrea Humphrey

10/20/2017 10:17 AM

The NFL is doing this to themselves. Im betting the NFL can hear us now. If you want to protest do it on your own time. Period.

• Neil English

10/20/2017 10:17 AM

What thr commissioner was really saying is “I am chickensh__ and unfit to be in charge of anything. I am a coward and afraid to stand up for American values”.

• Stan Honstad

10/20/2017 10:08 AM

How can you pay this fool all that money when he says we want to stay out if politics. Kneeling and raising fists is politics and you have stated you are going to allow this to continue. When does this man get fired and tge NFL get straightened out.

• Jill Busam

10/20/2017 10:07 AM

You are exactly right Governor! Has common sense just completely gone out the window? If he wants people to care about football again, he has to stand up to these entitled, overpaid brats, and make them stand at attention for the Anthem. He sounds ridiculous, trying to be on both sides at once. I am completely done with anything NFL until they fix this outrageous behavior.

• Monica Carlock

10/20/2017 10:05 AM

You are exactly right Mr Huckabee. I have children ages ranging 9 yrs old - 20 yrs old, I have never had to explain to any of my kids that standing for "their " National Athem was expected, they understand it is a time we show respect to the flag, our country & esp our veterans & military. It comes natural to them because they have been raised to respect our blessed country. What I do resent now is having to explain esp to the 9 year old why grown men, football players, many of which he sees as heroes, would not want to stand for their country. If it doesn't make sense to a 9 year old, it shouldnt make sense to a 25 or 30 year old! I would never dream of protesting on my employers time ~ and if I did, I know I would be unemployed! NFL owners- you are very foolish to let your employees do this on your time! You are as guilty as they are - because you are in essence, paying them to protest and offend the very people who buy your tickets & merchandise! No more! I hope they all sink together!

• Ron Scribner

10/20/2017 10:05 AM

I am not a fan of Roger Goodell. His heavy handed , bully approach has been out of control.

Always a stickler for the tiniest rules and harshly dealing with anything that he felt reflects badly on the NFL.

But it looks like he has met his match. He chooses to not enforce the NFL rules about team participation in the national anthem and the detailed instructions on player behavior while it is playing.
    I can remember a Cowboys player, I think it was Drew Pearson, getting in trouble for his socks showing too much.

If he is going to ignore some picky rules; can we have fun TD celebrations back?

• Diane Crane

10/20/2017 10:03 AM

I agree with you Mike. We are voting with our remotnd sinfe until they stand with respect for our flag and national anthem.

• Matt Norling

10/20/2017 10:03 AM

Right on Governor!

• Keith Hurtt

10/20/2017 10:02 AM

It is too late for the NFL as far as I am concerned. The only reason they would stop kneeling is for the almighty AMERICAN dollar. That being said, they have a right to do what they are doing. I made a career out of defending that right. I also have a right to NOT watch the NFL games on TV or in a stadium.

• Maureen Pettigrew

10/20/2017 10:01 AM

Spot on. And from all the things I have read, about 90 % of Americans agree with you. This is all just noise to try and derail whats important. These footballers have lived in a bubble for so long and treated like they are more important than others for so long that they have lost sight of what is good and decent. Thanks for standing for traditional American values.

• Jo Benton

10/20/2017 10:01 AM

Absolutely agree with you. Until NFL demands the players stand NO football at my house. They became political when they allowed the players to do this on their jobs.

• Amanda LaRue

10/20/2017 10:01 AM

The NFL commissioner is a coward. Personally, I think it should be illegal to disrespect the anthem or the flag. There should be a hefty fine and mandatory one year of military service where these guys are placed on the front line. Show them just exactly what they're disrespecting. All assets frozen until they've completed their term of service.
    Not just for NFL players, but those Hollywood puppets too. "Oh boohoo, we're opressed millionaires!" Get over yourself! My husband works 12 hours a day at a foundry that's usually 90-120 degrees year-round and he just got the tip of his finger chopped off. These famous whiney douche nuggets don't mean anything to me. Let the NFL crumble. Let Hollywood die. They're nothing with us little people.

• Edward Kohles

10/20/2017 10:00 AM

Too little too late. I am DONE with NFL. I would rather watch bowling or paint dry now! Hope the NFL folds! Let's see where these guys that PLAY will WORK!!!!!!!

• Kathy Godwin

10/20/2017 09:59 AM

I have never been a fan of the NFL...but since they have decided that free speech is so important and "legal" within the NFL game field...I feel that perhaps all the players who have been fined (large sums of money, I might add) file a class action law suit as their liberties have been infringed (this would of course be a federal lawsuit for freedom of speech and actions, which would bring treble damages and if shown to be a pattern, even more) on by not being allowed to twerk, fist pump (hey its ok on the sidelines in disrespect to the flag, why not in bravado for a good touchdown), couldn't wear a flag on their uniform, pray or show religion or faith of any kind in a public way on the field, or even embarrass themselves doing stupid dances in the end zone. As I see it, what's good for the goose is good for the gander, If you won't restrict the most important of fundamental negativity and disrespect, you can't restrict any. So if fans leaving in droves don't do it, bankrupt the institution, by insisting that every element of freedom of speech and expression is allowed...and reimburse and make restitution to those you have fined, harassed and censored in the past.

• Nandiara Cietto Hentges

10/20/2017 09:58 AM

I do agree with Mike Huckabee, every word.

• Angela Carter

10/20/2017 09:56 AM

and the ratings will continue to decline...giving in the whiney hineys who have zero respect for any thing but their paycheck...which let me remind everyone...is MORE than the POTUS makes...will not make thus situation any better!

• Mary L. Pezone

10/20/2017 09:56 AM

I totally agree with your comments. Football is losing so much because these players are using this “GAME” as a platform for their politics.

• Michael Campbell

10/20/2017 09:55 AM

You nailed it.
    They're free to demonstrate/protest (on their own time).
    And I'm free to quit supporting childish behavior that promotes disrespect. Goodbye NFL.

• Terry D Morris

10/20/2017 09:54 AM

Well said mike.

• Jerry Ratajczak

10/20/2017 09:53 AM

Totally agree gov! As a military veteran and retired police officer I feel that there is nothing more disrespectful to our fellow Americans then to see someone holding our symbol of freedom in contempt. I applaud President Trump as he continues to attempt to right this wrong and I thank you for speaking with such clarity about a controversial topic that should not be controversial at all. God bless you and may God continue to bless America!

• John Michael Carelas

10/20/2017 09:53 AM

NEVER SHOULD OUR FLAG AND ANTHEM BE USED FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN WHAT WE HAVE BEEN USING IT FOR ALL THESE YEARS.. WHEN I HEAR THE ANTHEM AND LOOK AT THE FLAG I END UP WITH TEARS ALL THE TIME ,,I SEE ALL THOSE WHITE STONE MARKERS THAT ARE ABOVE ALL WHO DIED FOR ME ,,AND I DO NOT CARE WHAT COLOR HIS SKIN IS.... THE NFL KNEELING AND SITTING PLAYERS MADE A BIG MISTAKE WITH ALL OF US AND WE WILL BOYCOTT TIL THE DAY THE FLAG DROPS... GOD BLESS AMERICA ---- John Greek on Facebook ---

• Anna Michael

10/20/2017 09:51 AM

Mr. Goodell is single handily destroying the NFL. These players are working and there are rules at work....and these players are at work. Lynch is possibly being fined for not reporting to a press conference....but you can disrespect our country and the flag whenever you want. We can't memorialize a fallen police officer but we can't publicly display officers as pigs. This stand was the straw that broke the camels back for thousands and thousands of fans.

• Stacy Ann

10/20/2017 09:51 AM

Screw the NFL

• Michael D. Setzer II

10/20/2017 09:48 AM

This is the U.S. Code § 301 - National anthem that applies to non-military.

"all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart;"

To do otherwise is to show disrespect no matter what anyone says.

• Barbara Moore

10/20/2017 09:46 AM

You always tell it like it is, Gov. Huckabee. Thanks to you and your wife for raising such a stellar young woman as Sarah.

• Gary Brookens

10/20/2017 09:43 AM

Mr Huckabee. I really love you and appreciate your candor, sense of humor, and your positive outlook. I must say that I have to agree with most everything you post on Facebook. You are a good man and I highly respect you.

Also I'm trying to start a campaign to pray for our president. "Would you join me in praying for POTUS #45 on the :45's of every hour? Please pray for the current administration and for the healing of our nation. Please use the :45's of every hour as a reminder throughout the day to remember to pray for our president, as much as you are able." Thank you!

• Aaron Huckabee

10/20/2017 09:41 AM

My thoughts exactly. Perfectly stated!

• Aaron Huckabee

10/20/2017 09:41 AM

My thoughts exactly. Perfectly stated!

NFL Commissioner tries to stop ratings dive

October 20, 2017 |

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT BELOW. I READ THEM!

• Gary Moore/ ex NFL Fan

• Edward Kohles

10/20/2017 10:00 AM

• Kathy Godwin

10/20/2017 09:59 AM

• Nandiara Cietto Hentges

10/20/2017 09:58 AM

I do agree with Mike Huckabee, every word.

• Angela Carter

10/20/2017 09:56 AM

• Mary L. Pezone

10/20/2017 09:56 AM

• Michael Campbell

10/20/2017 09:55 AM

You nailed it.
    They're free to demonstrate/protest (on their own time).

• Terry D Morris

10/20/2017 09:54 AM

Well said mike.

• Jerry Ratajczak

10/20/2017 09:53 AM

• John Michael Carelas

10/20/2017 09:53 AM

• Anna Michael

10/20/2017 09:51 AM

• Stacy Ann

10/20/2017 09:51 AM

Screw the NFL

• Michael D. Setzer II

10/20/2017 09:48 AM

This is the U.S. Code § 301 - National anthem that applies to non-military.

To do otherwise is to show disrespect no matter what anyone says.

• Barbara Moore

10/20/2017 09:46 AM

• Gary Brookens

10/20/2017 09:43 AM

• Aaron Huckabee

10/20/2017 09:41 AM

My thoughts exactly. Perfectly stated!

• Aaron Huckabee

10/20/2017 09:41 AM

My thoughts exactly. Perfectly stated!

NFL Commissioner tries to stop ratings dive

October 20, 2017 |

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT BELOW. I READ THEM!

• Gary Moore/ ex NFL Fan

• Edward Kohles

10/20/2017 10:00 AM

• Kathy Godwin

10/20/2017 09:59 AM

• Nandiara Cietto Hentges

10/20/2017 09:58 AM

I do agree with Mike Huckabee, every word.

• Angela Carter

10/20/2017 09:56 AM

• Mary L. Pezone

10/20/2017 09:56 AM

• Michael Campbell

10/20/2017 09:55 AM

You nailed it.
    They're free to demonstrate/protest (on their own time).

• Terry D Morris

10/20/2017 09:54 AM

Well said mike.

• Jerry Ratajczak

10/20/2017 09:53 AM

• John Michael Carelas

10/20/2017 09:53 AM

• Anna Michael

10/20/2017 09:51 AM

• Stacy Ann

10/20/2017 09:51 AM

Screw the NFL

• Michael D. Setzer II

10/20/2017 09:48 AM

This is the U.S. Code § 301 - National anthem that applies to non-military.

To do otherwise is to show disrespect no matter what anyone says.

• Barbara Moore

10/20/2017 09:46 AM

• Gary Brookens

10/20/2017 09:43 AM

• Aaron Huckabee

10/20/2017 09:41 AM

My thoughts exactly. Perfectly stated!

• Aaron Huckabee

10/20/2017 09:41 AM

My thoughts exactly. Perfectly stated!