So, the day before the Senate trial, which starts with pre-trial motions Tuesday at 1PM Eastern, everybody is speculating about how it will go. May as well add my own voice to the mix and see if I turn out to be right!
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell emphasizes that this is the Senate’s time to take over the process. That’s how the Constitution lays it out, but it’s reassuring to hear from McConnell’s own lips that he gets it. Congressional Democrats don’t, or at least they think YOU don’t, as they try to manipulate the process. They had their time to call the shots --- and they certainly did, to the point of denying the President and his defenders basic due process. But McConnell will NOT deny anyone due process; he’s using the same rules that had bipartisan approval for the Clinton trial. Here’s House Judiciary Committee ranking member Doug Collins speaking on that and more, on LIFE, LIBERTY & LEVIN…

Trump’s defense will be driven by a stellar panel of trial managers. Some we know well: Ken Starr, Alan Dershowitz, Jay Sekulow, Pat Cipollone, Robert Ray, Pam Bondi. Jane Raskin was on the special counsel defense team. Eric Herschmann, whose name is least familiar, has represented Trump in other cases over the last 15 years. I see he has a lot of experience in the natural gas field, having served as general counsel, president and CEO of Southern Union Company; perhaps he’s there to bring perspective on Burisma.

We know attorney Pat Cipollone for his wonderfully scathing letters. He and Sekulow authored the trial brief filed late Saturday, which opens with the assertion that “the Articles of Impeachment submitted by House Democrats are a dangerous attack on the right of the American people to freely choose their President” and goes on to argue that “the articles of impeachment are constitutionally invalid on their face.” True and true. This must-read brief sets the tone for the proceedings. The President is finally getting the defense he deserves...

Answer of President Donald J. Trump

House managers also filed their brief Saturday evening; it has the nerve to claim “President Trump’s conduct is the Framers’ worst nightmare.” Sorry, but the “Framers’ worst nightmare” has got to be this overtly political impeachment. It’s exactly what they expressly did NOT want.

McConnell reportedly plans to give each side two marathon 12-hour sessions in which to present opening arguments. Once all that is over –- whew –- my understanding is that if McConnell thinks he has the votes to go ahead and dismiss the charges, he could hold that vote and it would be over. But that choice seems unlikely.

You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll kiss your mind goodbye when you hear House impeachment manager Hakeem Jeffries assert, as he did on FOX NEWS SUNDAY, “We don’t dislike Donald Trump...but we do love America, we do love democracy, we do love the Constitution...” Right. They loathe Trump, and any “love” they have for the Constitution must be of the sadistic variety, as they abuse it whenever it suits them.

Of course, upon a dismissal, Democrats would scream “Cover up!!” (They’re going to do that anyway, but in this case the screams would be louder.) It seems unlikely that Senate Republicans would want to dismiss. I’m with them; just look at the impressive lineup of managers the President has. I’m itching to see them put on a humdinger of a defense of President Trump --- finally.

I think McConnell should press on and let President Trump’s managers answer the charges at length, on the record. Trump deserves that defense. After that steaming pile of Schiff, we WANT Trump officially exonerated. We still don’t know what evidence his defense even possesses that would further discredit the witnesses from the House “inquiry.” Of course, we do know almost all of their testimony was hearsay and presumption that would never be allowed in a normal judicial proceeding.

If they go forward, the next step will be for Senators to question each side. Questions must be in writing and Chief Justice Roberts will read them out. Sen. Ted Cruz, appearing on SUNDAY MORNING FUTURES, said he estimates this part will take 1 to 1-1/2 weeks. Then the decision will be made, by simple majority, on whether or not witnesses will be called and documents produced.

This is The Big Question, as Democrats have insisted on being allowed to call new witnesses such as former White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney (who, in a sane world, would almost certainly be covered by executive privilege, which is why the House didn’t ask the Supreme Court to compel his testimony during the “inquiry”) and John Bolton (ditto).

Democrats will most likely all vote “yes” on witnesses, but they’d still need four Republicans to vote with them to go down that months-long road. This is bluster, to make it look as though Republicans, if they vote "no," are covering up. It is THEY who are covering up, to hide the obvious Biden/Burisma corruption that Trump was legally obligated to scrutinize, as well as the transparent “whistleblower” hoax. In other words, the Democrats, unless they're hopelessly vapid and/or impeachment-crazed, will likely back down, because here’s what the message will be from the Republicans if they keep demanding witnesses (I'm paraphrasing):

"Look, fools, you had your opportunity during your 'inquiry' to call any witnesses you wanted, and you failed to get that done. (You should also have allowed witnesses to be freely questioned by us, and have allowed us to call our own witnesses, but never mind.) The time is OVER for you to call new witnesses, but if you do obtain the votes, we will follow up by calling the witnesses WE never got to call in the House, and you will see this thing blow up in your faces. Spectacularly. You will be stunned by how badly this goes for you --- how deceptive and sweepingly unconstitutional your strategy will be shown to be. We will tear the lid off the scheme to kick off your sham 'inquiry' in the first place. You will be very, very sorry you ever started down this path.

"You wrongly assumed the President would withhold the transcript of his call with Ukrainian President Zelensky, and the fallout from your miscalculation will be extreme.

"You don’t even care what’s true. Speaker Pelosi said, '...It’s not a question of saying, ‘proof'; it says ‘what allegations have made been made?' Really? You can ALLEGE anything you want. Without PROOF, you are wasting everybody’s time. Americans will look back on this sham with embarrassment and horror.

"What you’re doing is, as Judge Jeanine Pirro put it, about as serious ‘as a bunch of second-graders passing gas.’ This is how you’ll go down in history."

THAT’S the message Senate Republicans have for you, House Democrats. If it turns out there are no witnesses called, know that you have dodged a bullet.

Anyway, that’s how I think it will go. This probably won’t last longer than a couple of weeks. If it does, and witnesses are called, well, pass the popcorn.

• Sandi Martin

01/20/2020 05:59 PM

Will not be watching the Dems because they have already put on their show! Want to see Trump finally having his day in court! Waiting...

• Anita Grant

01/20/2020 05:58 PM

We The People know this is smoke and mirrors to cover up the Democrats illegal wrong doings. They’re afraid Americans will find out.

• Teresa Carstensen

01/20/2020 05:43 PM

Do NOT take it so lightly to "pass the popcorn" if this sham impeachment trial in the Senate gets dragged out by calling witnesses. THAT PUTS THE JUDGE-CONFIRMING SENATE OUT OF BUSINESS FOR MONTHS! Please remind your readers, and ask them to remind their senators of this.
    Thank you.

• Don Mooney

01/20/2020 04:43 PM

I just hope the Republicans will do what is right and put this sham where it belongs. The Democrats are ruining this country. By the way I love your show on Saturday night.

• Kathleen M Cooper

01/20/2020 04:29 PM

Thank you for setting up this information so we can understand. This has been so upsetting for the nation and for families. It’s like the Civil War all over again only not with guns so far.

• Bart Sherrer

01/20/2020 04:18 PM

Hakeem Jeffries said they love the Constitution and they love this country and they love Democracy. Please correct me if I'm wrong, Isn't this country a Republic not a Democracy? Doesn't the Constitution point that out clearly? If I misunderstood the meaning of what he said I would appreciate knowing. Thank you for all you have done to keep us informed.

• Mary Blomberg

01/20/2020 03:58 PM

I think the Republicans should vote for witnesses. Let the Democrats do what they want, but it shows the nation the Republicans are being just. We know it was a scam, but people will always wonder and this will put it all out in the open. Call Schiff, both Bidens and the whistle blower.

• Linda Rath

01/20/2020 03:34 PM

President Trump doesn't deserve any of this from the democratic congress. He has persevered in spite of them - look at what he's accomplished! Almost everything on his 1st term agenda! Awesome. I hope & pray that Gov. Huckabee's thoughts on how the senate trial "should" go does. If the dems are going to insist on this farce, then bring every shred of evidence against them that can be found, and completely blow them out of the water, never to rise again!

• Diane Landry

01/20/2020 03:32 PM

Heavenly Father, continue to protect and guide our duly elected President. Guide the Senators in this next situation. May the Truth be made public for all to witness.

• Richard Frey

01/20/2020 03:31 PM

A great analysis Governor. I also believe this is how it will proceed. Whatever, the Dems will still cry foul! In my opinion, the Dems/MSM are both in a lose lose situation!

• Cheryl A Boerst

01/20/2020 03:23 PM

It seems that the "innocent until proven guilty" is being switched around to "guilty until proven innocent" But there is no crime. Thank you Mike Huckabee for excellent article well done again!

• Dot Whitley

01/20/2020 03:07 PM

I do hope you're right. It would be so wonderful.

Dot Whitley

• Teresa Walden

01/20/2020 02:36 PM

Obama needs to sit down and be quite.

• Jerry

01/20/2020 02:30 PM

The Impeachment Hearing Farce is an embarrassment my President is on a International mission, for the most part the International leaders know what imbeciles Pelosi Schiff Schumer Nadler and what they are doing International leaders know exactly how corrupt and greedy these Senators and Reps. are because they have been using them to benefit their own countries at the expense of ours (US) dealing with these dishonorable louts for decades. The Left politicians are so corrupt they do not attempt to hide that fact, oh they are not alone a lot of GOP may be a little nervous also The ones speaking for impeachment may have a few skeletons hanging in their closets also I guess if I were corrupt i would want the President Impeached myself good luck with that RINOS. You will be exposed sooner than later. Tick Tock

• Helen Cory

01/20/2020 02:29 PM

Dems are coming off as irrational, timemoney wasting, seditious criminals destroying democracy in US.

• Phyllis Park

01/20/2020 02:25 PM

Not only will Americans look back on this sham with embarrassment and horror but the other countries are watching too and this makes America look bad. ??

• Ruth Ferraro

01/20/2020 02:20 PM

Thank you for keeping us so well informed. It's so sad that these Democrats are so filled with hatred. We must keep praying for our nation.

• Charles Stocker

01/20/2020 02:14 PM

It is obvious that Trump crossed the line in trying to get dirt on an opponent from a foreign government using the threat of denying or delaying government aid. However I question whether his actions are enough to warrant impeachment. I think not and I may still vote for him again!

• Ben Johnston

01/20/2020 01:56 PM

1) The senators who are running for the democratic nomination for President should not be allowed to vote - they took an oath to be impartial, and we all know they will not be.
    2) To accuse a citizen with something never stated, hold hearings behind closed doors without allowing the defendant to be present nor his attorneys nor any of his witnesses - and then to bring charges is unconstitutional. If they can do this to the President, what will stop them from doing the same thing to any other citizen. Can you imagine what that would be like in California, New York, and Florida?

• Diane Reed

01/20/2020 01:20 PM

Thank you Governor ~ I can always rely on you for the truth.

• Kay DeWitt

01/20/2020 01:12 PM

Mike, I thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for posting the comment I wrote yesterday morning about how, later on, I was planning on finding my way to the church Mark Harris used to pastor ...and, when I did just that, I DID get to speak with the staff member I had hoped to be able TO speak with and he informed me that Mark was looking to pastor a church in Mooresville, which is about a half hour away from Charlotte....

Because, upon my personally meeting this staff member, Grant Geisler, I was warmed by the same caring FOR Mark that he had expressed IN his email to me, when I made my initial contact with him, I, UPON seeing that you had posted my comment where I mentioned him TO you, I decided to copy, and paste, my comment you posted into an email and send it TO him.

Right after I sent Grant this forward of my comment, I decided to again watch the video of Mark Harris' sermon that he made at the 2016 NC Pastors' Conference because it was months ago that I first watched it and I did not remember all that Mark had said.

It was not long after I began watching this video that I found myself exclaiming "Oh my God....Oh my God.....Oh my God" .....and began to, literally, tremble...IN DISBELIEF....that I was hearing Mark give the same message that I had just written in my comment to you, yesterday, and only minutes earlier, has fwded to Mark's friend, Grant Geisler!

Mike, I beg you to take the time to listen to Mark's sermon AT this 2016 NC PASTORS' CONFERENCE and see IF Mark not only re-echoes the message that has been MY message, in the many comments I've written, but also re-echoes what has been YOUR message in the many newsletters YOU have written!

There are many pastors who can preach Jesus .because they know ABOUT Jesus from reading the Scriptures....but there are few pastors who can preach Jesus because they KNOW Jesus....AND Mark Harris is one of those few preachers!..

I can tell you (through tears of humility), that because.....(for reasons I will never understand) ... I AM one who KNOWS Jesus... I can state with Holy Ghost authority that God wants to use Mark as HIS mouthpiece to MAKE the cry that Mark expressed was his desire TO make IN HIS sermon, four years ago, at the NC Pastors' Conference.....THEREFORE....

If, upon your listening to this video, you discern that I speak His truth about this, I beg you to reach out to Mark to TELL him this BEFORE he makes the decision to accept the pastorate in a church in Mooresville...BECAUSE...he may be doing this because he feels there is now no chance that he would win a political election...

HOWEVER....if Mark has maintained the same desire TO get involved in the political world...that made him willing to suffer the loss of pastoring a 3000 member church .....THEN he can have the best of both worlds.....BECAUSE....since we are now saying that the "political" battle ....between the Democrats and Republicans...is, in reality, a "spiritual" battle between Jesus and Satan ...GOD CAN USE MARK TO FIFHT THE POLITICAL BATTLE IN THE NAME OF JESUS...THE ONE HE SO LOVES! ..BELOW I AM GOING TO PASTE THE COPY I MADE OF THE LINK OF MARK'S SERMON...but, if for some reason, it doesn't "work", then, as you know, you can a!ways Google it:....AND, it would be wonderful if you can persuade President Trump (and whosoever) to also listen to, and watch, this video! Wouldn't THAT serve to encourage Mark! HERE IS THAT LINK BELOW:

• Rip Jones

01/20/2020 01:06 PM

Great article. While I think both Clinton's and Trump's impeachments are wastes of time, at least we Republicans completed a fair and open House inquiry back then. Both impeachments will ultimately die in the Senate. If the Democrats force the hand, I agree that things will not go well for them now, and in the history books. If this DOES move forward, we need to make sure we ask Grandpa Joe about his newly found grandchild.

• Harold Levi

01/20/2020 01:03 PM

The best lawyer is the one you feel compelled to clean house after they leave. A real Junkyard Dog is the one you want. I truly hope all of the lawyers are Junkyard Dogs who are going to rip the Marxist-Democrat Impeachment apart and leave in dying unable to use life support.

• PAM PERRY

01/20/2020 12:59 PM

Time to call all the democrats to trial: Obama, Biden, Hunter Biden, Clinton and expose their involvement in this sham. Then try them and send them to prison.

• Berni Page

01/20/2020 12:48 PM

Dumb waste of tax funds by Democrats!!!

Answer of President Donald J. Trump

• Richard Frey

01/20/2020 03:31 PM

• Cheryl A Boerst

01/20/2020 03:23 PM

• Dot Whitley

01/20/2020 03:07 PM

I do hope you're right. It would be so wonderful.

Dot Whitley

• Teresa Walden

01/20/2020 02:36 PM

Obama needs to sit down and be quite.

• Jerry

01/20/2020 02:30 PM

• Helen Cory

01/20/2020 02:29 PM

• Phyllis Park

01/20/2020 02:25 PM

• Ruth Ferraro

01/20/2020 02:20 PM

• Charles Stocker

01/20/2020 02:14 PM

• Ben Johnston

01/20/2020 01:56 PM

• Diane Reed

01/20/2020 01:20 PM

Thank you Governor ~ I can always rely on you for the truth.

• Kay DeWitt

01/20/2020 01:12 PM

• Rip Jones

01/20/2020 01:06 PM

• Harold Levi

01/20/2020 01:03 PM

• PAM PERRY

01/20/2020 12:59 PM

• Berni Page

01/20/2020 12:48 PM

Dumb waste of tax funds by Democrats!!!

Answer of President Donald J. Trump

• Richard Frey

01/20/2020 03:31 PM

• Cheryl A Boerst

01/20/2020 03:23 PM

• Dot Whitley

01/20/2020 03:07 PM

I do hope you're right. It would be so wonderful.

Dot Whitley

• Teresa Walden

01/20/2020 02:36 PM

Obama needs to sit down and be quite.

• Jerry

01/20/2020 02:30 PM

• Helen Cory

01/20/2020 02:29 PM

• Phyllis Park

01/20/2020 02:25 PM

• Ruth Ferraro

01/20/2020 02:20 PM

• Charles Stocker

01/20/2020 02:14 PM

• Ben Johnston

01/20/2020 01:56 PM

• Diane Reed

01/20/2020 01:20 PM

Thank you Governor ~ I can always rely on you for the truth.

• Kay DeWitt

01/20/2020 01:12 PM

• Rip Jones

01/20/2020 01:06 PM

• Harold Levi

01/20/2020 01:03 PM

• PAM PERRY

01/20/2020 12:59 PM

• Berni Page

01/20/2020 12:48 PM

Dumb waste of tax funds by Democrats!!!