Faith in the power of love

December 24, 2019

As families start to gather from far and near on Christmas Eve, this story perfectly illustrates how nothing can keep us apart from the ones we love at this blessed time of year.

A listener named Phyllis wrote that it was Christmas Eve, 1942.  A young woman was waiting, pregnant and alone, for her husband of 4 months, who'd been drafted into the Army and was training to be a pilot somewhere in the Arizona desert.  He had written to her that he couldn't get leave, so they would not be together on their first Christmas as husband and wife. Refusing to let herself get discouraged, she kept a light on in the window as she wrapped a few gifts.

Meanwhile, he was way off in Arizona, quietly reading letters from her, when his sergeant came into the barracks and asked what he was doing there on Christmas Eve.  When he heard about the soldier’s pregnant wife, the sarge gave him permission to go home. But that was just the first obstacle down.

The young private grabbed a few belongings and raced to find any way to get back to California. But there were no more trains or buses that night.  So he walked to the nearest highway and stuck out his thumb.

Somehow, he hitchhiked 450 miles home. His last ride dropped him off several miles from the cottage where his pregnant wife was.  He walked the last few miles in pitch darkness, assuming that at that late hour, his wife would have long since gone to bed.  But as he neared the little house, he saw the light shining in the bedroom window.

When he opened the door, he found his darling, still awake and thrilled to be in his arms again. She'd waited up for him, never giving up hope that her dearest would find some way to be home for Christmas.  Phyllis wrote, "This true story was told to me by my dad before he passed away in 2000. The young couple were my parents…And I was the baby they were expecting."

I'm glad that Phyllis’ parents' faith in the power of love to overcome all obstacles was passed down to her, and I thank her for passing their family’s cherished story on to us.

• Ross Reed

12/24/2019 01:52 PM

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful story... Every year I would save my “leave” time and go home for Christmas, my family in Florida far away from South Dakota where I was stationed for 9 years. Many blessings on you and thank you Governor, for all that YOU do. I appreciate your commentary, that you are a Christian, and it fosters hope and feel good feelings that the good still exists in this Country... Merry Christmas all!

• Ken Johnson

12/24/2019 01:50 PM

What a beautiful story of love and commitment

• Glenda Dudley

12/24/2019 01:47 PM

We are starting a new tradition of having the Lords Supper here at my house with my three sisters and their spouses on Christmas eve. We always have dinner together at Christmas eve so tonight will be extra special!

• Edith Chambers

12/24/2019 01:39 PM

So often Christmas seasons are marked with a never do well .My first Christmas without my husband occured in the Dec be 2017; He died the previous March of that year and I knew it would be tough but I knew he would want me to go on.My friends that knew me for many years housed and fed de Uring the holidays and made me feel like part of their family.Yhanks Terry and Cricket morrow of Athens Georgia

• Kathy Del Rio

12/24/2019 01:28 PM

I heard on the news that the government the liberal democrats and radical left will start charging us for the use of plastic and paper bags when we go grocery shopping and shopping. They are fools who are ripping us off. Nobody should be forced to pay extra for plastic bags when we go shopping. it is a financial burden on all of us. Thanks to the left wing liberals who are behind this. it is in the name of saving our planet. They are better ways to save our planet without charging us a fine for bagging our groceries when we go shopping. It is the government taking away our freedoms. I want that bill repealed or changed or done away with. I pray it will flop out and fail. Please stop them and take a good conservative stand against all of those liberals. Do something about it.

Faith in the power of love