April 11, 2020

SILVER LINING

If there’s any silver lining to this pandemic, it’s that a lot of people who had been brainwashed into thinking socialism could work just dandy if only the “right people” were in charge of all that government power over everything are getting a real-time lesson in how little power it takes to corrupt some people absolutely. Across the nation, we’re getting reports of authorities violating Americans’ Constitutional rights with heavy-handed enforcement of policies that have no bearing on the spread of the coronavirus. Like yesterday’s story from Greenville, Mississippi, about $500 citations being given to people who showed up for a drive-in church service, sitting in isolation inside their own cars.

It’s often been said that if you scratch a “progressive,” you’ll find an authoritarian underneath, and they’re certainly proving that they can never be trusted with any power above the level of dog catcher. Add to that list Kentucky’s Gov. Andy Beshear, who is getting his Stasi on by ordering local officials to record the license plates of anyone who attends a church service on Easter Sunday, so they can be forced into a 14-day quarantine. It apparently doesn’t matter how many precautions the people take to prevent the spread of the virus, Big Brother will be watching and punishing.

Not surprisingly, Kentucky Senator Rand Paul was not pleased.

A reminder to the voters of Kentucky: Beshear was elected just last year when he defeated the Republican Governor by a margin of just 0.37%. I would hope that more than 0.37% of the voting public who didn’t vote in 2019 are now motivated to show up in the next election and let him know what they think about this.

MUST-SEE VIDEOS

President Trump’s message from the Oval Office, marking Good Friday and Easter Sunday. Note that we once again have a President who has no hesitation about saying the phrase “our Lord and savior Jesus Christ” in the White House.

First Lady Melania Trump offers an inspiring message of gratitude to all the medical personnel and other essential workers who are keeping America safe and healthy during the pandemic.

HOW TO "THINK" LIKE AN IDENTITY-POLITICS OBSESSED LIBERAL

(1.) If Trump health officials don’t acknowledge that the coronavirus disproportionately affects minority communities, call them racist.

(2.) If a Trump health official says the virus is disproportionately affecting minority communities and offers them advice on how to avoid it, call him racist.

CUOMO: PROJECTIONS WRONG

In an appearance on Rudy Giuliani’s radio show, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said planning for the COVID-19 coronavirus was made more difficult by the fact that computer models of infection and death rates have proved completely unreliable, as initial apocalyptic predictions have been repeatedly scaled back.

Cuomo said, “…All those statisticians have been 100 percent wrong at this point. And we’ve been following the models because that was the only blueprint, but they haven’t turned out to be correct. Sort of like the old days when we tried to predict a storm by listening to the weather forecasts.”

That’s a very apt analogy. I suspect that once this is over, a lot of people will be looking at the coronavirus computer models that were off by 300% or more and ask if this is the same technology we’re relying on to dismantle the world economy to prevent a predicted rise in temperature of a few degrees 100 years from now.

BILL MAHER HOMERUN

Over the years, I’ve had readers question why I defend Bill Maher. The fact is, I am often at odds with Bill’s comments, but I respect the fact that he lets people state their views and argues with them rather than attempting to silence them. Besides, every so often, he gets something so right that he knocks it out of the ballpark.

STORY CHANGE

I told you about the attempt by Senate Republicans to add more funds to the loan program to save small businesses because there was such a crush of applications, and how it was blocked by Democrats, who wanted to add more spending for other things and were willing to let small businesses die while they held emergency aid hostage (and not for the first time…in the past month.) Amazingly, CNN, Bloomberg News, Politico and NBC News all got that correct in their headlines. But less than an hour later, all four changed their headlines from reporting accurately that Democrats had blocked the bill to the vague statement that the bill had been blocked by a stalemate or impasse between Democrats and Republicans.

I’m guessing they received urgent calls on their Marching Orders Hotline from the DNC. I’m sure if they could think of any way to blame it solely on the Republicans, they would have, but since it was blocked entirely by the Democrats, the best they could do was blame both sides equally. Journalism!

50TH ANNIVERSARY

As a lifelong devotee of the NASA space program, I must note that today marks the 50th anniversary of the ill-fated Apollo 13 mission to stage the third lunar landing. When an oxygen tank exploded, the crew radioed those chilling, now famous words: “Houston, we have a problem.” The world held its breath and a likely tragedy turned into a story of triumphant American heroes as the astronauts and the NASA staffers back on Earth went to work to accomplish the seemingly impossible: bringing the space crew back down to Earth safe and sound. Despite the recordings in which they sound so cool and professional, Apollo 13 commander Jim Lovell later admitted that they estimated their chances of survival at no more than 10 percent.

This is an extraordinary story of bravery under the most trying conditions, triumph over impossible odds and the nearly unlimited potential of the human mind.

• Kevin Turnbaugh

04/11/2020 07:56 PM

Gov Huckabee, I am fed up with Pelosi and her bunch of far left gangsters, insisting on their unrelated socialist wants being included in the next stimulous legislation. My tax money will not go to fund Planned Parenthood's baby killing clinics! Did you know that Keystone Planned Parenthood here in PA, put out a call for PPE, so they could continue providing abortions? Disgraceful!!! If one must vote by mail due to their inability to do so otherwise, fine; but, voting should be in person, and each voter should be required to show their new Real ID to do so. (If you desire, I will tell you how I got mine, and I am blind.). Finally, according to our area NOAA office, our February and March average temps were down the list from the warmest for those months. Let Al Gore and Greta Thunberg choke on that info!

• Milton Woodham

04/11/2020 07:52 PM

The actual radio call from Apollo 13 said "Houston, we've had a problem". Maybe one of the most misquoted lines in history.

• Steve

04/11/2020 07:49 PM

Supposedly the CDC has suggested to the Medical profession that if someone has the wuhan flu and they die, although they may have died from another cause, to put the cause of death as corona virus. I have read of several instances where they gave the cause of death as "complications" of the corona virus, although they were already in bad health or died of a heart attack or were Ninety years old and knocking on deaths door anyway, it is still death by corona virus.
    When you consider the deaths attributed to the virus that weren't actually caused by it, that makes the computer models even more inaccurate. They will do whatever they can to make this crisis seem worse than it actually is. Don't get me wrong, I believe it is bad, but let's not make it seem worse with inflated numbers.

• Patrick Wentworth

04/11/2020 07:48 PM

It would seem to me that the Democrats withholding aid to small businesses is am “impeachable” offense. Isn’t that what they based their bogus impeachment of President Trump? With holding aid to Ukraine..... which he didn’t do.

• Carolyn Ulrich

04/11/2020 07:47 PM

Keep up your good work.

• stephen mitchell

04/11/2020 07:43 PM

Ah ! Party politics ! Ya gotta love it !

• James Drury Jr

04/11/2020 07:32 PM

Thanks Mike & Staff.

• Doris Q. Bailey

04/11/2020 07:30 PM

Family been here outside of course, and a football player that has always kept up with me since my Bill died just called and he and his family never forget me-I sure love them. These things when all is horrible in our country, it is wonderful when precious friends call too- he went on to play pro football too- and always cared about his coache's wife! Worry Monday about our country then and honor my Savior Lives now!! [email protected]

• Vaslav Nijinsky

04/11/2020 07:30 PM

Re weather "predictions", old "in the trade" term: "nowcasting", referring to "revision(s)" made to reflect current conditions, versus "prognosticated" ones. The point of view is a "jaundiced" one, often with valid reasons.

• Donna Magnuson

04/11/2020 07:25 PM

Socialism never has worked and never will....I learned that in 8th grade social studies class...don't they teach that in social studies anymore?...could be why so many politicians coming on board don't get it. Loved President Trump 's good Friday message!!!How cool to have a praying president in our government!!! After we elect him for 4 more years...we'll have to elect Pence next. Thank you for Melania's speech.. heartfelt. Pure class.

• Larry Jeffers

04/11/2020 07:13 PM

What are your thoughts about a class action suit against the federal government regarding the ss fund that was robbed. I know that environmentalist organizations such as the Sierra Club get a lot of their money from suing the feds. That's how they afford to ride around in expensive suv's. If you could put something in one of your additions regarding the theft of the ss fund, I would appreciate it. I fear that our future generations (unless the Lord returns soon) will be short changed.

• Darrell D Deyne

04/11/2020 07:12 PM

Gov. Huckabee, thank you for your informative commentary concerning arrests made on citizens acting safely and properly in connection of Social distancing durning the Covid 19 crisis. However, I'm one of the many who think that has gone to far! It would be interesting to know if those arrested were a majority Republican registered voters or Democrats how now favor voting Republican.

• Christine Gay

04/11/2020 07:10 PM

I really enjoy your Evening Editions, but suddenly it is arriving with Hollywood garbage attached. I tried to unsubscribe, but it seemed as though I was going to cancel the evening addition if I clicked on it. Help

• Margot Plummer

04/11/2020 07:02 PM

I feel the Deep State is continuing their coup attempt with their exploitation of the virus. Ezekiel Emanuel wants us shut down for 12-18 months. Everyone who is dying seems to be dying of the virus. Bill O'Reilly got in trouble for saying as much. I could be arrested and jailed for nonessential travel. This is Golden, Colorado! Of course, we used to be a red state. No more!
    I'm worried!

Margot Plummer

• Robin Rebhan

04/11/2020 06:56 PM

" Cuomo: " Projections were wrong ".
    I presume they were using the National Weather Service and NOAA computers for their forecasts.
    What they didn't count on in their calculations is we have a good President that means what he says. People trust him and when he said stay home, people stayed home. He was decisive and put a halt to incoming aircraft from infected areas, despite much opposition. Then made many unpopular hard decisions which have since helped greatly.
    Thank you Mr. President!

• Peggy Ryan

04/11/2020 06:42 PM

Mike,
    I love the way you phrase things. I really struggle to get messages through this system though. They say they are monitoring it or something. We will see what they do this time.

• Beverly DeForde

04/11/2020 06:38 PM

I watch your you tube video daily and enjoy it immensely. You tell the truth and that is really refreshing these days of corruption nearly every place you look. I appreciate it and so I subscribed to your morning and evening newsletters. Keep up the good work.

• Derold Davis

04/11/2020 06:30 PM

It was recently brought to my attention that Beijing and Shanghai China have had no cases of Coronavirus. Is that true, I have looked online but info on China and Coronavirus cases is pretty much all mainland China. Why is NO ONE EVEN MENTIONING THIS? Why has reporting on Recoveries been stopped? This is all getting to be very FISHY from my viewpoint. Why are deaths being counted so liberally?? Seems to me to be a planned attempt to make the numbers as bad as possible - WHY???

• James Hoppe

04/11/2020 06:30 PM

Lets on with Barr convicting the felons who should not be receiving salaries OR PESIONS!
    Red Eye's....good guys...laid out 11 TOTALLY GUILTY this week. SO GET BARR TO GET AFTER
    THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Three years is way too long to have all these crooks free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Ellen DeRosa

04/11/2020 06:29 PM

Here's Bill Maher's comments...hope it opens for you...

• Ed Biever

04/11/2020 06:27 PM

I agree, Cuomo is correct. You work with the best information you have at hand, modify as new information becomes available. Side note, during a crisis it's no time to play the blame game. Examples should start at the top. That's the POTUS. I am very disappointing. I vote for him, donate to his campaign. Never again. I am a life time Registered Republican. He should do himself a favor, let the person he named to head the task force, do his job. Let the experts present, and field questions. Once it comes out of his mouth, there is no taking it back. He just keeps giving the MSM, and Democrats ammunition to use against him. He makes statements, ( false, untrue inaccurate) and the next day ( sometimes the same day ) when asked by press, word for word ( See White House briefing notes ) then he calls it fake news and attacks the person. He Is His Own Worst Enemy in front of a microphone.
    Ed Biever Retired Regional Mgr. VP McDonald's Corp. 30 year veteran, ( Start with McDonald's 4/13/58 )

• Sandra S Butler

04/11/2020 06:24 PM

The statement, "Houston, we have a problem," is inaccurate. What Lovell said was, "Houston, we've had a problem."

• James Hinckley

04/11/2020 06:21 PM

Thanks for giving us the Truth that news media doesn’t and the President’s Easter Message and his wife’s that the news media won’t give us.

• Jani Gallagher

04/11/2020 06:13 PM

We human beings are such an arrogant species. We believe that we control things from climate to governments to everything in between.
    We don’t even control the number of our days. God controls that. Sometimes I just laugh at our narcissistic thinking and shake my head, ya’ know?

• Steve Schupbach

04/11/2020 06:13 PM

Mike,
    I think the virus modeling people are getting treated unfairly. The model itself (the computer software engine that crunches the input data) could be perfect but if the input data is poor (China data comes to mind) the output of the model will be erroneous. As better data becomes available the output also becomes better. That's just what we've seen.
    Steve

April 11, 2020

SILVER LINING

Not surprisingly, Kentucky Senator Rand Paul was not pleased.

MUST-SEE VIDEOS

04/11/2020 07:48 PM

• Carolyn Ulrich

04/11/2020 07:47 PM

Keep up your good work.

• stephen mitchell

04/11/2020 07:43 PM

Ah ! Party politics ! Ya gotta love it !

• James Drury Jr

• Margot Plummer

04/11/2020 07:02 PM

I'm worried!

Margot Plummer

• Robin Rebhan

04/11/2020 06:56 PM

" Cuomo: " Projections were wrong ".
    Thank you Mr. President!

• Peggy Ryan

04/11/2020 06:42 PM

Mike,

• Beverly DeForde

04/11/2020 06:38 PM

• Derold Davis

04/11/2020 06:30 PM

• James Hoppe

04/11/2020 06:30 PM

• Ellen DeRosa

04/11/2020 06:29 PM

Here's Bill Maher's comments...hope it opens for you...

• Ed Biever