October 25, 2017

Baltimore Ravens tight end Benjamin Watson took a poke at me recently for my comments on the NFL players’ protests in which I suggested that if they really cared about changing the world so much, they should give up their lucrative jobs and run for office. Watson tweeted, “The only Americans that are allowed to care about politics are those who quit their jobs and run for office? Stop @GovMikeHuckabee. Just stop."

I have the utmost respect for Mr. Watson’s athletic abilities, his faith and his personal decision to stand for the National Anthem. But I think he missed the point of what I was saying. Sure, his NFL “brothers” have the right to express themselves. But do they have the “right” to do it while in their uniforms and on the field? If so, they have “rights” no one else enjoys—no other employee who is provided a uniform and a job can use their job time or workplace to express political views.

Why are NFL players more special than the rest of America? And if they have the right to show disrespect to the flag and national anthem, fans who pay their personal money to support them have the right to empty the stadiums, stop watching on TV, stop buying merchandise, and verbally criticize them. NFL players are forced to support the USA, but no American can be forced to support them in their whining. And Watson missed my point — if he really wants to be political, then walk away from his job like I did mine, take a big risk of losing it all, and run for office. Trying to make a political point while on someone else’s time and wearing a uniform someone else provides is a cheap way to pretend to “take a stand.” Take your stand on your own time. And if you want to say “Stop it” to anyone, say it to your teammates who are on their knees during the National Anthem.

By the way, I also disagree with the suggestion in the linked article by former Indianapolis Colts head coach Tony Dungy, that President Trump invite some of the players to the White House to hear their concerns. They have plenty of ways to voice their concerns without showing disrespect to America while on the job. Rewarding them for doing that with a trip to the White House doesn’t set a very good example for the youth of America, who have few enough good examples already these days.

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT BELOW.  I READ THEM!

• Mike schiavone

10/25/2017 11:11 PM

Your comments about quiting your job, become a politician and possibly losing it all was the exact way a view the situation.
    Those who kneel during our National Anthem show no respect for America, or it's servicemen, veteran's, or citizens of this great country.

• Mike Dee

10/25/2017 11:02 PM

Excellent response. The NFL lost me long ago when they railroaded Tebow out of the league. Then the stunt with the gay player. Now this. I will remain absent. Thank you.

• James Walton

10/25/2017 11:01 PM

Yo Mike, I've been listening and watching you for years. Enjoyed your fox show tremendously and I'm enjoying your new show now. I was behind you for your push for president the first time as-well-as second time. I'm pleased at the way Trump is working out. Although, I admit he was not my first choice ... or my first 16, but it has turned out to be pretty good. As far as the NFL goes: I am over it (watching and enjoying football). I just don't want them to just stand up. I want to hear their respect. They talked about it enough against standing. I want to hear them now about the greatness of America and why it is important to stand. I hope the boycott doesn't lose its focus. And I want you to know Sarah is doing a great job! Please tell her for me to keep up the good work. I know I wouldn't want to deal with that Zoo.
    James Walton
    Spring Hill, FL

• Jim Tucker

10/25/2017 11:01 PM

Amen!

• Jerry Jones

10/25/2017 10:57 PM

I am a HUGE fan of yours Gov. and I also have huge respect for Ben Watson. I have been a fan of the Ravens since they came to Baltimore. No more. I watched them take a knee on foreign soil and turned off that game and have been boycotting ever since. That said, I agree with Mr. Watson on this one. A lot of people care deeply about politics and yet are not capable or qualified to run for office. We all have been given different measures. I agree with your stance on the kneelers. My personal priorities in life are GOD, family and country. My country is bigger than this game. BOYCOTT

• Diane Barrie

10/25/2017 10:51 PM

Because Americans have put them on a pedestal. Paying them millions for playing a game, treating them like special citizens....we let them get out of hand.

• David Price

10/25/2017 10:46 PM

As a person that has worn a real uniform an walk on to a real battlefield let me give my opinion. Wake up. Shut up and just play your silly game.

• Raul Martinez Jr

10/25/2017 10:43 PM

Excellent points and overall response. Their attitude is "I can protest but you cannot in turn protest against my protest". We must let them know otherwise!

• Nancy Williams

10/25/2017 10:38 PM

The knee is for praying and our Flag is for Respecting our Country and all of its Military Families who have lived and died protecting our America.

• Clifford Paul Kirts

10/25/2017 10:35 PM

Excellent response! Their (NFL) protests on tax funded fields is moronic... they are biting all the hands that feed them.

• Connie L. Bickel

10/25/2017 10:35 PM

Could not agree more, Huck. Thank you for saying it.

October 25, 2017

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT BELOW.  I READ THEM!

• Mike schiavone

• Nancy Williams

10/25/2017 10:38 PM

• Clifford Paul Kirts

10/25/2017 10:35 PM

• Connie L. Bickel

10/25/2017 10:35 PM

Could not agree more, Huck. Thank you for saying it.