First, thanks to all who have written in response to my commentary about Attorney General Bill Barr’s hesitance to bring charges against Obama and/or Biden. Before getting into the latest on Susan Rice’s fishy Inauguration Day email –- which does appear to be an attempt to shield the outgoing President from later scrutiny –- I’d like to start by highlighting a particularly thoughtful "Barr" letter, from Janet:

RELATED READINGBarr: charges "unlikely" against Obama and Biden

"I think people posting here have many good points, but I have a slightly different opinion than many, it seems. I think that most definitely, Barr is going to get to the bottom of this and there WILL be justice in the end. It's just going to take a while to ‘thread the needle’ and build cases against ALL of those who have been involved in this shameful travesty of our Constitution and Public Trust.

"Barr's no fool. He's been around DC for a long time and survived with his integrity and wit intact. I don't doubt that he's got a solid plan for bringing these people to justice –- a plan that will leave no doubt about their guilt and keep us from having another civil war if Obama and Biden are prosecuted. Remember when Barr chastised Trump for making it impossible for him to do his job when Trump interjected his opinions into the issues du jour? Barr is shrewd and wise to the ways of the DC swamp monsters. Let's let him do his job and have faith that he is going to see justice served. It just takes time.”

Thanks, Janet, and I hope you’re right. (Barr did qualify what he said with the words “as of today.”) Many readers sent much more cynical and despairing replies --- understandably so --- but I don’t want to condemn Barr’s DOJ just yet. Here’s an interesting take from Al:

"I agree mostly, Governor. However, if you are Comey, Brennan, Clapper and crew, how are you hearing what Barr said about Obama? What's your first thought? ‘They're pinning this whole mess on me. I'm the fall guy. And the top person, the guy who I was doing this for, who was at the center of all this, is going to walk?!’ Barr is describing the most grave of political crimes, worst in US history. Someone is going to pay. How much pressure will be on these people to cut a deal and point the finger at Obama? Sure, some will fall on their sword for Obama. But some won't. ESPECIALLY when Obama, as is his habit, tries throwing them under the bus.

“Barr is shrewd. HE can't be the one pointing the finger at Obama. It's got to be Obama people pointing the finger at Obama people before people will see it as not just political. (That's why I'd give Lisa Page immunity and a gift certificate for a high-end matchmaker for all she knows.)

“The game has begun. And at least Obama's name is in the conversation.”

True, the fact that Obama’s name now figures in this is a huge step forward. For now, let’s consider the evidence as it emerges; that brings us to Susan Rice. Acting Director of National Intelligence Ric Grenell has done it again by finally releasing the FULL TEXT of what may have been Susan Rice’s last official act in office, her “by the book” email, written 15 days after the big Oval Office meeting of January 5, 2017, that it memorializes. Here it is.

I sure wish everyone in government were as on the ball as Grenell; the attorney general got a request for this from Sen. Ron Johnson on Monday and –- boom –- Grenell declassified the email on Tuesday. Catherine Herridge at CBS first shared this; Tom Fitton tweeted it out with the comment that a special counsel should be appointed to investigate that meeting. Here’s a great round-up of the buzz generated on Tuesday afternoon.

Unfortunately, a tiny portion is still redacted, showing someone else was copied on the email. One name in the “cc” line is revealed, though: Curtis R. Ried; I wouldn’t be surprised if we hear that name sometime in the future. There’s a “Curtis R. Ried” listed on Zoom.com as a foreign service officer at the U.S. State Department.

Sean Davis has an outstanding piece at THE FEDERALIST on the significance of this email, parts of which had been previously released and had already given us an idea of how knowledge of the Flynn investigation was being kept from the incoming President. Why would they be keeping President-elect Trump in the dark unless HE were the ultimate target?

Davis writes: “The newly declassified portion of the Jan. 5 Rice email confirms that the targeting of Flynn was coordinated within the inner sanctum of the White House and that both Obama and Biden were deeply involved in the campaign to take down Flynn.”

Folks, this is all going to come out. I don’t know if the criminal justice system is going to prevail against Obama himself or if the long arm of the law isn’t quite long enough to reach him. Presidents have a lot of power and ways to shield themselves, typically by using “plausible deniability” and, if necessary, by throwing their order-takers under the bus (that’s why they’re called “under”-lings, ha). This is why it’s so important to elect someone who cares more about the Constitution than his own power.

We know, absolutely, that Obama was involved in this. Biden, too. The next several months may reveal to us a fascinating piece of history. I do believe that something perhaps even worse than jail –- and just as deserved –- is eventually going to happen to Barack Obama: the total rewriting of his legacy to reflect the FACT that he headed the most corrupt regime in the history of the United States.

I’ll close with another optimistic reader reply from Don, who says:

"Gov: I can't disagree with your conclusion. Justice must be served for crimes committed that violate the Rule of Law, regardless of the status of the parties involved. No one is above the Law!

"However, in closely reviewing AG Barr's statement, as it relates to Obama/Biden ‘at this time,’ he has left room in his statement to revisit and review the entire situation, should additional sufficient evidence surface that clearly [implicates] the Obama/Biden combo...In my opinion, legal cases, in administrative politically committed crimes , rarely turn on "slam dunk" smoking gun evidence, but unfold through ‘a thousand cuts,’ resulting in ‘guilty, beyond any reasonable doubt.’ AG Barr needs to be given the benefit of the doubt that he will adhere to the Rule of Law, at the end of the day.”

You’re right, Al --- he did leave the door open. That’s why I expressed curiosity about why he said what he did at this particular time. Much is going on right now that we just don’t know.

• Joe Thomas

05/20/2020 05:33 PM

Bill & Hillary Clinton were never brought to justice . Their crimes are many , and easily proved .... So what makes you want to gin-up false hope that Biden & Obama will get prosecuted ? ? ? The fact is , there is no justice system left in America , it's GONE . Folks in D C with money , or power can get away with murder .

• Lee B.

05/20/2020 05:19 PM

I appreciate the optimists & their encouraging remarks. I felt the same way about Jeff Sessions & remained steadfast even as my spouse began to suspect that Sessions was part of the “insurance policy” that FBI lovers Strozck & Page emailed about. In recusing himself at the outset, Sessions handed the reigns to the deep state via Rosenstein opening the way for the coup to work hard at removing our duly elected President. While Mr. Barr seems on the up & up, why did he choose now to say outloud charges are “unlikely” against Obama & Biden? It was enough of a disappointment when he said outloud that Comey & McCabe would not be charged, just like Comey said outloud of Hillary Clinton. It’s more than disappointing to realize that to date no charges have been filed against anyone except Donald Trump & his affiliates some of whom have lost absolutely everything in their efforts to defend themselves. One tries not to despair, not to look upon the current situation as Armageddon. We’re nearing the end of the President’s first term, however, & if he is not re-elected, many fear it’s over. If he is re-elected, we have four more years of hope but it will take champions to defend the nation & constitution & clean up the enormous sneaky, slimy mess that permeated all of government during the previous administration, all with overwhelming support of elected representatives, a very dark time. In the future, I hope Atty. Gen. Barr will “bite his tongue” until he has made a final decision as to criminal charges, one way or the other.

• Vicente Panimdim

05/20/2020 05:13 PM

The winner is not to the swift but to those who trust in the Lord. We know our God will help those whose hope and trust is in Him. Vengeance is the Lord's not ours.

• Terry Story

05/20/2020 04:46 PM

If President Trump is not reelected to office in November, they will have gotten away with their nefarious ways. And I expect the push for that to actually happen is going to be monumental since I think that those are involved in this mess of a federal government are at the top of the food chain. I don't ever expect to see any justice for all of those that have been victimized by these morally bereft people that believe that anything is acceptable as long as they achieve their objectives, and the end of the Republic is in sight now.

• Elizabeth Houghton

05/20/2020 04:41 PM

Given all of the above, we must pray mightily for the reelection of President Trump, because as sure as the sun rises in the east, if Joe Biden et al are elected, Barr will be run out of town on a rail and the entire investigation will be made to quickly and completely disappear.

• Dolores Mendez

05/20/2020 04:38 PM

I still want to know what President Obama meant when he told the Russian ambassador “Tell Putin I’ll have a little more latitude after the election”. The Russian collusion investigation needs to be revived...this time on President Obama.

• Luanna Fielder

05/20/2020 04:38 PM

After reading this, ok. That's really all I can say, Ok. I will have to trust Barr and what you are saying in today's Morning Edition. It's just so frustrating to finally hear Solomon and Carter and the rest coming out over the past months saying they have the evidence and then that's all that's ever reported and nothing more is done. Again, we the ppl are so tired of Republicans having to resign and nothing happens to any Democrat in the wrong. I guess we have to wait on justice to do the right thing and that, IMO, is to indict all of this group in Obama's/Biden's corrupt regime and that includes them! Thank you for your morning edition, Governor Huckabee!

• Charles Pasley

05/20/2020 04:35 PM

I hope you are right and the rule of law is applied equally to all parties. I don't understand why a lot of these same people have not been prosecuted for lying like Mike Flynn was.

• William Taylor

05/20/2020 04:31 PM

With respect to the ‘Junk model‘, I hope that our government and the governments of other countries did NOT rely on one computer model. If we did, then shame on us. In medicine a second opinion in such serious matters is needed. I also assume that the model was based an assumption that no quarantine would be done as, in fact, was done.

With respect to Barr and the Investigation of the investigation, I wish we had never heard of Christopher Steele and his ‘dossier’. To think that he was ever a member of the British Intelligence service is beyond my comprehension. Perhaps we should have doubtedvand verified it but....was Obama’s birtherism issue doubted any more by conservatives than the dossier on Trump was doubted by liberals?

• Julene Pritchett

05/20/2020 03:56 PM

I think Barr is leaving the door open for a military action against him. Obama was Commander in Chief when all of this took place. Biden is a non-issue as he doesn't have the mental faculties to even remember his name, unless he is an extraordinary actor.

• James Hoppe

05/20/2020 03:40 PM

I think what is shameful here is the blatant criminal activity that has taken over
    three years to come up with NO INDICTMENTS! We are PAYING THESE FELONS
    and they will GET THEIR PENSIONS....after MANY have obviously broken the law
    and have not been held accountable!!!!!!!!!!! The AVERAGE PERSON would be kin
    jail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND..how many people in our "JUSTICE DEPARTMENTS" do we pay.....and NO JUSTICE!!!!! I just received an email on over 20 reasons HILLARY didn't win the lection....and MOST WOULD BE IN JAIL FOR DOING WHAT SHE DID! Sad.........

• Nitha Vos

05/20/2020 03:29 PM

Thank you for your informative insights. I enjoy reading all of them. Keep up the good work.

• David Laman

05/20/2020 03:21 PM

I have my doubts as to whether Obama or Biden will be brought up on charges. As you have said, their ability to duck under the radar and lay the blame on someone else is well known. My hope is that these two, if truly guilty of crimes against Flynn and the Trump administration, are written up in the history of these times as the crooked, twisted, men that they are.

• David Ralph Titus

05/20/2020 02:46 PM

Three years of the President’s term were disrupted by criminal political shenanigans. Think of where we might be if he was respected and able to lead unhampered. He has accomplished much in spite of. God bless our President

• Joseph Needham

05/20/2020 02:46 PM

The matter of prosecution here has many ramifications to be considered. On of the major ones is that, with the visceral attitude of so many Democrats, even in leadership, the nation could easily be put into a civil war. Property would be destroyed, cities burned etc. When the leadership of the Democratic party encourage people to harass people who voted for President Trump and his cabinet members as well, we know that trouble is ahead.

• Dorothy Campbell

05/20/2020 02:35 PM

I’m with Janet, and feel AG Barr will be the one to go down in history, to have saved our constitutional rights. Restore sanity and trust in the Justice Dept and FBI, because until he does that, no one will have faith or trust. Thank you.

• JIMMY BUTH

05/20/2020 02:17 PM

Governor Mike: Thanks for your Newsletter. Most enlightening and enjoyable. As an 'old' ole timer from Bentonville, way back when, You were my first choice for POTUS in 2016. I admire your admire your conversational acumen and the way you interject witticisms, - - - makes for interesting reading.
    However, I have to admit I am glad that Donald Trump was elected President, and at the same time, I'm not all that sure I'd like the guy in person. ???? You sir, I know I would like.
    PRESIDENT TRUMP is what we need at this time. Was it Divine Intervention?? PPRESIDENT TRUMP has one huge magnificent Flaw that serves him (and our Country) very well. He is an Egomaniac and will not accept losing. He has to be The BEST at whatever his endeavor.
    In brief Governor Huckabee, You, I like. Trump, we need.
    Please keep up the good work in helping us sort through this tangled mess..
    WE also need you.

• Laszlo Denes

05/20/2020 02:12 PM

Dear Governor,

Regarding the Susan Rice email, I heard this question a hundred times on Fox News and social media: "Why would anyone write an email to herself about a WH meeting 15 days earlier?"

The answer to me seems simple: she was directed to do it by Obama to cover both of their behinds, and introduce a "by the book" narrative that was actually not by any book I am aware of. Certainly not the Constitution. To wit, Comey illegally sending agents to entrap Lt.Gen. Flynn, and withholding crucial national security information from an incoming national security advisor. According to what book, pray tell, was this done? Perhaps one by Ian Fleming or John le Carré.

There is no other explanation. I wouldn't have sent that email 15 days after the fact, you wouldn't have, nobody sane would have unless we were ordered to do so by our boss.

Respectfully,

Laszlo Denes
    New York

• Charles Downs

05/20/2020 01:55 PM

The name "Benedict Arnold" comes to mind when discussing the treasonous meeting of Obama with his Co-Horts re M. Flynn in the White House. Barr may be afraid of a civil war if Obama & Biden are charged with treason...A Special Prosecutor should be appointed to investigate the first act of treason in American History by a former President AND Vice President against a sitting President. The treasonous parties, in addition to BHO & JB....(Dems, Pelosi, et al) are not above the law!

• Patricia Young

05/20/2020 01:35 PM

I don't know how we could ever find out about the start or reasons behind the covid-19. Dr. Neil Ferguson seems to be one person to start with. He seems to me to be like a "Fusion GPS" in all of this. There are countries and people who would go to any length to bring the United States down and also to bring President Trump down.

• Carl "T" Smith

05/20/2020 01:12 PM

I hope the Secret Service STAYS above politics- Too many lives are at REAL risk. These folks have no ethics and love of Self when carried to the extremes we are witness to usually end up badly for others BEFORE justice is served.

• Jerry Korba

05/20/2020 01:07 PM

I am not sure who The new President can replace when he takes the Oval office I do have to say as a monday quarterback Donald should have had someone advise him to get rid of the Obama crime Mob hanging around the White House. Normally the new President will clean house and get trust worthy people to surround him that has not been a strong suit of Donald coming in. Obama's mob was and is there to ruin his Presidency and America just because of the hate Obama has for Donald and America.

• JC Holland

05/20/2020 01:02 PM

Ok Mike, you win. I'll give Barr/Sessions more time and stop knocking him for awhile.

• Clayton M Kirkland

05/20/2020 12:59 PM

The problem I have with this whole discussion is the idea that "it will take time." I'm not certain that "we" have that much time. If Trump is defeated in the upcoming presidential election the whole thing will be dead and buried. (Trump's reelection is by no means a sure thing.) The deep state will have won, and retribution will be theirs. I suspect that a lot of the foot dragging in the DOJ and the Senate reflects a reluctance, on the part of the establishment career bureaucrats, to take things too far. I include the Republican careerists and RINO's in that. Lindsey Graham is an example in the Senate of a guy who could if he would but he won't. Lot's of talk, no action.

• Ted Schnackertz

05/20/2020 12:56 PM

AG Barr is no amateur, putting your "enemy" at ease before you ponce is a great strategy...

RELATED READINGBarr: charges "unlikely" against Obama and Biden

“The game has begun. And at least Obama's name is in the conversation.”

I’ll close with another optimistic reader reply from Don, who says:

• Joseph Needham

05/20/2020 02:46 PM

• Dorothy Campbell

05/20/2020 02:35 PM

• JIMMY BUTH

05/20/2020 02:17 PM

In brief Governor Huckabee, You, I like. Trump, we need.
    Please keep up the good work in helping us sort through this tangled mess..
    WE also need you.

05/20/2020 01:02 PM

• Clayton M Kirkland

05/20/2020 12:59 PM

• Ted Schnackertz

05/20/2020 12:56 PM

RELATED READINGBarr: charges "unlikely" against Obama and Biden

“The game has begun. And at least Obama's name is in the conversation.”

I’ll close with another optimistic reader reply from Don, who says:

• Joseph Needham

05/20/2020 02:46 PM

• Dorothy Campbell

05/20/2020 02:35 PM

• JIMMY BUTH

05/20/2020 02:17 PM

In brief Governor Huckabee, You, I like. Trump, we need.
    Please keep up the good work in helping us sort through this tangled mess..
    WE also need you.