March 1, 2017

Before last night’s Presidential Address to Congress, a lot of pundits were saying that Donald Trump had to appear “presidential” and make an appeal to unity and bipartisanship. He did far more than that. Afterward, many liberal pundits grudgingly admitted that he seized the mantle of President with one of the best speeches since Ronald Reagan. Even uber-liberal Van Jones said that last night, Trump “became President” (not to brag, but some of knew that Trump had been President since January 20th.)

From his opening that acknowledged Black History Month and the need to counter racism and anti-Semitism to his closing that urged Americans to come together to embrace the “renewal of the American Spirit” and “believe once more in America,” Trump struck a combination of patriotism, toughness, resolve, confidence and bipartisanship that seemed to make him grow more in statute with each passing minute. Meanwhile, Democrats appeared to shrink to Lilliputian size as they petulantly sat on their hands and glowered even when Trump touted issues they supposedly support (or at least want voters to think they support), like creating American jobs and helping women entrepreneurs. They couldn’t even be moved to applaud bipartisanship. Hey, guys, you do realize that means giving you more say in legislation than you’ve actually earned at the ballot box, right?

But the absolute nadir of the Democrats’ selfish partisanship came when the crowd gave an emotional two-minute standing ovation to the crying widow of fallen Navy SEAL Ryan Owens. Reps. Debbie Wasserman Schultz and Keith Ellison, who did at least stand for her intro, were caught on camera during the later, historic ovation, glued to their seats, apparently either unmoved or terrified at what their radical leftist base would say if they actually stood up twice to honor a fallen American hero.

In one bit of political theater, some Democrats brought illegal immigrants as guests. Trump countered with his own guests (a tradition started by Ronald Reagan), who included some family members of murdered victims of the illegal immigrants he’s actually targeting: criminal aliens with multiple deportations who never should have been here in the first place. When he announced the creation of a new office to help Americans victimized by illegal alien criminals (“VOICE” or Victims Of Immigration Crime Engagement), Democrats audibly hissed and groaned. Bad move. It must have left millions of law-abiding citizens watching at home to wonder if the Democrats even know who they’re supposed to be representing.

Another Trump quote that elicited silence and eyeball daggers from the donkey side of the aisle was when he said, "My job is not to represent the world. My job is to represent the United States of America." If they disagree with that, then what the heck do they think the President’s job is? Professional golfer? (That would, at least, be an understandable mistake.) They certainly don’t seem to think his job is to protect Americans from radical Islamic terrorism, given the fact that they reacted to that phrase the way a four-year-old reacts to spinach.

Focus groups of viewers found that Republicans gave the speech an A+, even though Trump included some proposals conservatives oppose, such as paid family leave. Independents gave it an A. Democrats gave it a C, but that’s astounding, since they likely started off all ready to give it an F-minus. Maybe after hearing from their leaders for months that Donald Trump was insane, unhinged, deranged and the second coming of Hitler, they finally started to realize they’d been snowed (they should’ve realized that from his gracious acceptance speech on Election Night, or his Inaugural Address, but cognitive dissonance takes time to shake off.) A poll by – yes, CNN! – found that around 70 percent of viewers thought Trump was moving the country in the right direction and they felt more optimistic. Only 21% had a negative reaction, while 57% had a “very positive” reaction. I’ll bet some folks at CNN wish that were “fake news.”

You could tell that Democrats knew their “sit on their rumps and look constipated” strategy had backfired badly when, after Trump wrapped up with a patriotic appeal to our better angels, they didn’t even give him time to leave the chamber before they were out of their seats and bolting for the exits with ashen faces, like a busload of grandparents scurrying off a roller coaster than they’d thought was going to be a merry-go-round.

As for the Democratic response from former Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear, the best I can say is that he delivered it well, but it seemed to come from a time long past. With his folksy demeanor and country store setting, he embodied a strain of blue collar, rural, Blue Dog Democrats who have long been chased out of the Party by the far-left urban “progressives.” These days, attempts by Democrats to evoke that traditional American image are about as authentic as the robot Abe Lincoln at Disneyland.

The Democratic response was also obviously written and possibly recorded before hearing Trump’s speech, since it accused him of opposing things, such as bipartisanship, that we’d just heard him embrace. It was especially out-of-sync with the times to hear Beshear laud how Obamacare had provided health insurance to 500,000 Kentuckians (his claim that “every American deserved health care they could afford and rely on” had me wondering, “Then why are you defending Obamacare?”) Knowing that Beshear would be giving the response, Trump had used Kentucky to bolster the case against Obamacare. He quoted current Gov. Matt Bevin (a Republican who defied the polls in a surprise win) as saying that Obamacare is unsustainable and collapsing, and said one-third of the state’s counties had only one insurer still offering policies on the exchanges.

Perhaps the most telling (and for Democrats, sobering if not terrifying) aspect of their response was that to find any Democrat with any appeal to working class voters at all, they had to go out of Washington entirely and turn to a former Governor who hadn’t even been in office since 2015. That is one shallow pool of political talent to draw from.

One final note: thanks to Andrew Malcolm for doing the math that illustrated one more yuuuuuge difference between Trump’s speech last night and any Obama speech: Trump referred to the American people 136 times, and to himself only 35 times.

Please leave me a comment below.  I read them!

• Reita Kate Litton

03/01/2017 03:33 PM

Thank God for a voice of reason in this time of political madness! I do not read anything about President Trump from the left slanted liberal media morons.....when Obama scurried out of American's White House he should have taken them with him! Thank you Mr. Huckabee for your info, my only source of political info and God BLESS America!

• Janet John

03/01/2017 03:31 PM

I totally agree with your assessment, and I hope Democrats take note and get in step with the American people they represent, who deeply desire safety for all U.S. citizens, as well as a strong economy and strong military. President Trump does an excellent job of conveying what his administration is about when he sticks to the teleprompter. I hope he will do so more and more in the months to come.

• Wendy Patterson

03/01/2017 03:29 PM

Thank you Mr Huckabee for your honest and forthright take on our government. Because of your sincere love for our great nation it makes me feel good, as a middle American, to read your commentary concerning all of our issues.
    You speak the truth and don't pull punches!
    God Bless,

Wendy Patterson
    Enterprise, Alabama

• Donald Bowers

03/01/2017 03:28 PM

President Trump's speech was outstanding in both content and presentation, IMHO. And the democrats in the chamber showed how utterly out-of-touch, closed minded and mean-spirited they are, also IMHO.

It is VERY disappointing to me that the President and many members of both houses of Congress fail to recognize that much of the President's and Congress' agenda(s) would be achieved by enactment of the Fair Tax.

• Brenda Tango

03/01/2017 03:27 PM

Thank you for this post. President Trump did a tremendous job last night. I was truly disappointed in the behavior exhibited in the Democratic Party. Although, no one jumped to their feet and called him a "Liar" like they did President Obama when he was telling the American people that his healthcare plan would not cost us 'one thin dime'. After spending 20 years in the health insurance arena, I knew that was unlikely and as it turns out my instincts were right. Kudos to the President! Don't let the Democrats and celebrities get you down. 'We the people' have your back. Just keep doing your job.

• Susanne Heron

03/01/2017 03:27 PM

Mike, I supported you as a candidate for President, and I value your daily blog - first thing I read in the morning, and enjoy your way of cutting through the garbage to reveal the truth of a given situation. As for the speech, I was very satisfied by President Trump's statements, and truly appalled at the behavior of the Democrats. They really messed up last night, remaining seated and unsupportive - obviously - of Trump's statements about supporting American citizens and the United States of America first. And there were other glaring errors that had me laughing in total disbelief at their lack of common sense. Although, I did see Dick Durbin, once, actually clapping. That sight alone was incredible. What a great speech, and what obvious mistakes from Democrats for the whole world to witness. Love you, Huck!

• Beverly Smith

03/01/2017 03:25 PM

I look forward to your comments daily. It's hard to find anyone these days who actually speaks from the facts. Thank you Gov. Huckabee for truth!

• dave johnson

03/01/2017 03:24 PM

thoughtful as usual--hope you get a job somewhere in this administration if you want one--

• Charlotte Vawter

03/01/2017 03:20 PM

Excellent article. Your comments are very perceptive, and you make me smile...almost laugh. Thanks.

• Chuck Depp

03/01/2017 03:18 PM

It appears that the donkeys are going to be left on the sidelines while the Trump phenomenon whizzes on by...

• Patsy Sharp Mc Kinnis

03/01/2017 03:15 PM

I loved your observation about Dems sitting on their hands while appearing constipated. Would like to see the white- clothed ladies who were giving the "thumbs down" featured on commercials paid for by Republicans!

• Marion Van Soelen

03/01/2017 03:15 PM

THANKS MIKE FOR YOUR ALWAYS GREAT WORDS OF SUPPORT FOR LOYAL AMERICANS. AND THANKS FOR ADDING YOUR WONDERFUL GIFT OF HUMOR! I REMEMBER YOU FROM VISITING NW IOWA A "COONS AGE AGO" AT THE SIOUX CENTER HS CAFETERIA! :) GOD BLESS YOU BROTHER! MARION

• Eileen Hansen

03/01/2017 03:15 PM

I really enjoy your notes Governor Huckabee! You are such a positive, graceful, respectful, intelligent man. I would like conservatives to ferret out corruption at the CDC and FDA. The problems caused by inadequately tested drugs and harmful vaccines cost insurers, the government and Americans so much money and heartache. This must change or the health of our population will continue to deteriorate and our next generation will be severely damaged. Please take a look at Robert Kennedys Mercury Project website and the recently released "Vaccines Revealed" (which is shocking to say the least). Someone high profile needs to take the mantle on this. I know President Trump has met with RFK, but I'm not sure if he is doing this just to give him leverage with the pharma companies. I sincerely hope it is motivated by a real desire to repair the dangerously broken system. Thank you!

• Deidre Berdy

03/01/2017 03:11 PM

I enjoyed reading your analysis! It made me downright giddy! Sometimes I think I am in a dream world because I hear our President still saying all the things I want to hear. The speech was wonderful in content, genuine in my opinion, and downright stirring. The one thing he is going to have a bit of trouble with is the illegal alien situation. Even I have been changing my mind about same. I really don't see any other alternative than what he proposed. But it's not going to go over well with a lot of his base. We shall see. Thanks for all you do! You are highly respected.

• Dave S

03/01/2017 03:11 PM

Mike - President Trump nailed it.........and so did you! Thanks for your great synopsis on truly a memorable and historic speech! Now, this new administration needs to keep up the momentum and pass super important legislation while there is this window of time with all 3 branches held by the GOP! Thanks again! Dave S from San Pedro, California

• Carol Washburn

03/01/2017 03:09 PM

I look forward to reading your emails. You are always right on target and humorous as well. Great job and thanks for your continual support of our President. That has even more importance knowing you are a brother in the Lord.

• Grafton and Brenda Redfern

03/01/2017 03:09 PM

We love your articles and you always hit it right on. We certainly support our President, our Country and am feeling proud of it like back when President Reagan was our President. It's true JOY to hear God mentioned again in His rightful place! We appreciate you Mike Huckabee.

• Charlotte Jayne Drake

03/01/2017 03:09 PM

Very good article!

• Carol Stonelake

03/01/2017 03:07 PM

Thanks Mike. A terrific letter! God bless all the work that you do on behalf of the Republican Party

• Dave S

03/01/2017 03:07 PM

• Carolyn S Ward

03/01/2017 03:06 PM

Thank you, Governor, you are sooo right on!
    The Democrats didn't and don't understand President Trump!
    Maybe more seats in congress for us in 2018!!
    Our President should just keep doing what he's doing and fulfilling his
    promises to us that voted for him!
    God Bless You and God Bless our President!!!

• Kathy Cross

03/01/2017 03:05 PM

I thought that President Trump was not only very on point but he did so without the bluster that he sometimes sports.
    I think he had heard the American middle class and those who feel disenfranchised and he has focused on the right issues.
    Our infrastructure
    Our healthcare
    Bring jobs home
    Protecting our borders
    Just to name a few. I own a small business in south Florida and have been battling giants from overseas my who career. I'm glad to begin to hear" is this made in America ?"
    I met you at a dinner in Okeechobee a few years ago and have always hoped that you would throw your hat in again. Keep up the good work!!

• Wende Viohl

03/01/2017 03:04 PM

Another wonderful email capturing the essence of current events. I delight in your humor and colorful asides. Keep it up and God bless you!

• Charlotte Willer

03/01/2017 03:02 PM

I hate politics. But I am looking for a man of honor and integrity who thinks about what is good for the American people not what is good for me. I heard much good in President Trump's speech. If he can accomplish all that he said, he will be a true statesman and not a politician. I am praying that the President is praying and asking God for wisdom. Our America is so far off track. We all need to humble ourselves to God ! I am praying for God's will be done. Begone all enemies of God and America! The battle belongs to the Lord!
    Yes, I read your comments everyday. We need godly men to lead America

• Shirley Cotterman

03/01/2017 03:00 PM

I thought the President's speech was very uplifting and presidential. I hope the American people are paying attention to the way the Democrats are acting. Not very American or patriotic. The way they acting last night leads me to believe they don't care about our country or else like President Trump they would reach out theirs hands and work together to fix our country. I am also getting tired of hearing how great Obamacare is and how it has provided health care to so many people. What they aren't saying it that the premiums and deductibles are so high people can't afford to go to the doctor. My daughter had good insurance at work then was forced into Obamacare at the time she was diagnosed with MS. Her deductibles and premiums are so high she couldn't afford to continue to go to the doctor. I can only say the Democrats should be ashamed of themselves. They certainly aren't looking out for the American people.

• Bonnie L. Schulz

03/01/2017 02:58 PM

Your analysis of THE speech is dead on!

How good does it feel to be bursting with pride that we finally have someone to lead us into a prosperous future!!!

• Cheryl Woltemate

03/01/2017 02:56 PM

Love your newsletter... I also thought Trump nailed it last night. I'm also really appalled that the democrats in the room could not "rise above" and at least behave like they agreed. What did he say that could possibly turn them off?
    Partisan-ship run amuck... dems looked like haters last night.

• Edwin Ian Maxwell

03/01/2017 02:55 PM

Hi Gov. Huckabee:
    Always a pleasure to read and absorb the insights of your commentary. Yes, along with all the
    vast majority of sensible and loyal americans, I concur wholeheartedly: Mr. Trump was presidential ! May it be in The Will of The Lord to guide and bless his presidency, with the help of his competent white house staff, and his important cabinet appointments, and so return this
    nation to 'its former glory'. I trust that he also reaches out to the many wise and experienced associates, in the private and public sectors, (such as yourself), to seek counsel and guidance
    for the many complicated domestic, and foreign challenges he will be confronting. Thank you
    again, for your informative commentaries. Keep them a'coming ! The Lord bless you, and all
    your family. Sincerely, Edwin M.

• Georgia L bILYEU

03/01/2017 02:55 PM

Great job in your overview! President Trump nailed it last night. Good for him. He & the office of President of the United States commands respect!

• Michael Brown

03/01/2017 02:54 PM

Hi Mike, the words that struck a high cord with me was the statement President Trump made about representative of the U.S., not of the world. God bless, Mike

• richard cole anthony

03/01/2017 02:54 PM

After the speech, I hope now that my intellectually elite friends will see some light and give consideration to the direction President Trump is trying to take our country. Building the free and more robust economy is the only path to the prospect of reducing the national and state debts, as well as creating a new middle class.

• Ivodean Spell

03/01/2017 02:53 PM

The President's speech was the best I've heard in many years.

Too bad the news media won't report on the death earlier this week of a pipe worker in Marion County Florida who was killed by a protester, later shot by law enforcement. I only heard about it on local channel 13 (Orlando) news. Had it been reversed it would make the news for months.

• Claudia Nelson

03/01/2017 02:50 PM

Hi, Gov. Huckabee! I'm Michael Clifford's assistant (you know that wildman right?). Anyway, I just wanted to tell you how VERY much I enjoy your blogs. They are right on target, humorous (I laugh every time--spinach...hee hee...), and delivered in a classy fashion that only you would know how to do! Thank you so much for these--I subscribed because it's about the only newsletter I read (except, of course, for anything Dr. Clifford writes, LOL!). Have a great day! -- Claudia

• Rickie Miyake

03/01/2017 02:50 PM

Totally agree. President Trump makes us feel proud to be Americans, not ashamed as with the previous administration. That was an excellent speech last night. Mr. Huckabee - I enjoy reading your daily e-letters; they are full of just plain common sense, same as what our new president is trying to bring back to this country.

• gary kujat

03/01/2017 02:45 PM

Very well said. The American spirit died for the demoncrats when they embraced Anti American ungodly liberalism. They were once against abortion, gay marriages, legalizing marijuana, and in favor of the death penalty. They changed their directions as a way to get the votes and keep the power. Thank God Almighty it has finally caught up to them

• Sue Persson

03/01/2017 02:44 PM

Dear Mr. Huckabee:

Just sent this Email to Rush:

SO happy I 'discovered' your program before the election; have tried not to miss a day since!!

I just want to say:
    I don't think those DEMDUMS realize how relieved US DEPLORABLES are to see the U.S. returning to a country WE can bear to be part of again.

And since WE won, they are highly insulting all of US with their blind, raging hatred!!! I hope they are happy when they end up with their OWN foot shot off....
    FIGURATIVELY, of course!!

Thanks for being the one place WE can feel great about who WE are, and what WE want, for a change, since the lamestream thinks our views matter not!
    End of Email!!

To YOU I say:
    The OTHER place I am finding "Sanctuary" is in YOUR communications: I've been forwarding them to my Email list daily -- and today's was one of the best!! Thank you for supporting our PRESIDENT, and US!

• Sandy Wheeler

03/01/2017 02:44 PM

I, like you Governor, was riveted by the speech and the speech giver. One can not give a speech like that without having an "heart of passion" for the content. I am a former Vietnam vet, TS Clearance and one who gets an opportunity to speak into the SEAL community from time to time. I was moved to tears listening to the President and watching the widow of Ryan "hang in there" as a warrior's wife to represent her husband, a great American Hero, who served ALL citizens of the United States and was willing to give up his life so that others would not have to do that!! I am probably like millions watching, in that I just wanted to wrap my arms around Carryn and thank her for her "great sacrifice" in letting her husband unselfishly serve this great country we all call "home"! I lost a friend SEAL Team6 Master Chief and it breaks your heart and makes you proud all at the same time. Thanks for all your words Governor, God Bless You, God Bless our President and God Bless the USA!

• Lendale Killman

03/01/2017 02:39 PM

I think President Trump gave a very thoughtful speech. He did his homework, and he is trying to move this country back onto a path of self sustainability. We cannot sustain the entire world if we, as a nation, are broken. We have to heal ourselves before we can go out and heal others. I like that he is pushing for America to take care of America and lets put ourselves back to work. This nation can do great things as long as we are pushing for and remembering the American dream.

I hope he puts the brakes on the medical insurance companies. They are what is wrong with the medical system. They are telling the doctors what they can and cannot do for a patient. Let the doctors doctor. I agree some need to be reigned in; however, the insurance companies are why medical cost are so high.

• june j kier

03/01/2017 02:39 PM

Amen, amen. Your comments are as true and refreshing as any spokesman for the truth could be. Keep it up, and bless you for the job you are doing. June Kier

• Darla Faulks

03/01/2017 02:35 PM

I even found myself applauding 3 or 4 times. For the first time in a long time---I am optimistic as to America and Americans' future. I was one of the reluctant conservatives who voted for Trump because not to vote for him would be a vote for Horrible Hillary. I couldn't believe that Trump was what was left. But since then I have been reading and researching and only taking with a grain of salt most of what is on FB---but enough to learn more---and Trump ---at least if he does MOST of what he says he will do or try to get the congress to do.....will most all be good for America. And I truly think he is sincere in wanting what is best for America and Americans. I cannot say that about any Democrat I have read about at all. Of course, I am sure there are good God-fearing Democrats out there--but all we hear about are those with something stupid to say or do. One thing I feel sure of---if those Democrats that don't make the news were watching last night and saw their representatives petulantly sitting on their hands and not clapping or standing for a lot of what President Trump said---then they may be changing who their representatives are in the future (we can hope to some that know what common sense is, at the very least). I can truly say I am proud of how President Trump came across and especially the fact that he wants to help his country in the best way he knows how. Sincerely and hopefully, Darla Faulks

• Ari Dale

03/01/2017 02:32 PM

One of your best analyses, Governor.

• Ron Gepford

03/01/2017 02:32 PM

Very nicely summed up. You are on target with the losing tactics of the left. It sometimes is amazing how little they learn from a defeat. Sticking to the same tired old mantra, same tired old name calling, same tired old agenda, is committing suicide by voter. If they were not so dangerous they would be great entertainment. How did a nation as great as ours end up with so many self hating, un-patriotic so called leaders?

• Cherrie Kimbrough

03/01/2017 02:31 PM

I read your entire commentary on President Trump's speech to Congress, and would like to thank you for the positive and words of praise for how his speech was spot on. I also saw how the Democrats sat stoned face and made little effort to show any approval at what was said. Few could even show respect to Ryan Owens' grieving widow. Shame on each of them, and especially those women dressed in white as an attempt to show unity with the downtrodden women who still view abortions as a God given right. Again, thanks for sharing your viewpoint on Pres. Trump's speech.

• Dixie West

03/01/2017 02:26 PM

I watched the president's speech ladt night and I think he NAILED IT (and the dems who bothered to be there)! He really made an impression with his guests, victims of illegal aliens who should not have been here.

March 1, 2017

Please leave me a comment below.  I read them!

• Reita Kate Litton

03/01/2017 03:33 PM

• Janet John

03/01/2017 03:31 PM

• Wendy Patterson

03/01/2017 03:29 PM

You speak the truth and don't pull punches!
    God Bless,

• Carol Stonelake

03/01/2017 03:07 PM

• Dave S

03/01/2017 03:07 PM

• Carolyn S Ward

03/01/2017 03:06 PM

Thank you, Governor, you are sooo right on!
    The Democrats didn't and don't understand President Trump!
    Maybe more seats in congress for us in 2018!!
    Our President should just keep doing what he's doing and fulfilling his
    promises to us that voted for him!
    God Bless You and God Bless our President!!!

• Kathy Cross

03/01/2017 03:02 PM

Yes, I read your comments everyday. We need godly men to lead America

• Shirley Cotterman

03/01/2017 03:00 PM

• Bonnie L. Schulz

03/01/2017 02:58 PM

Your analysis of THE speech is dead on!

• Cheryl Woltemate

03/01/2017 02:56 PM

Partisan-ship run amuck... dems looked like haters last night.

• Edwin Ian Maxwell

03/01/2017 02:55 PM

Hi Gov. Huckabee:
    your family. Sincerely, Edwin M.

• Georgia L bILYEU

03/01/2017 02:55 PM

• Michael Brown

03/01/2017 02:54 PM

• richard cole anthony

03/01/2017 02:54 PM

• Ivodean Spell

03/01/2017 02:53 PM

The President's speech was the best I've heard in many years.

• Claudia Nelson

• june j kier

03/01/2017 02:39 PM

• Darla Faulks

03/01/2017 02:35 PM

• Ari Dale

03/01/2017 02:32 PM

One of your best analyses, Governor.

• Ron Gepford