When human institutions fail, God never does

March 29, 2020 |

Welcome to a very special edition of the Huckabee Show here on TBN. Special because we are now in our 2nd week of the Coronavirus version, without our studio audience, our guests coming to us mostly from their homes via Skype, and your host actually in government-imposed exile, some 461 miles from our theater and coming by way of a fiber-fed transmission line from a virus-free studio.

The Coronavirus and the resulting shut-down of our nation is proving to be a genuine hardship for all Americans, especially those in the service sector whose jobs virtually disappeared overnight, and for many, may not return. The travel and tourism industry is decimated. The stock market imploded, and of all things, toilet paper became a more precious commodity (or should I say commode-ity) than dollar bills. If you are from the rural south and grew up several decades ago, you weren’t worried about the toilet paper shortage—you knew just to eat more corn on the cob…and save the cobs. When I mentioned that on Twitter, I was excoriated for my lack of sophistication. But I ask my snobby critics, so what is YOUR solution when there’s no Charmin to squeeze? I don’t think I even want to know.

Are there any positive things to come from this pandemic and the economic and social disaster it’s caused? You bet. For one, maybe we’ve finally learned that globalism isn’t all it’s cracked up to be and we ought be thinking more about America being strong, self-sufficient, and independent of countries like China, whose communist government kept hidden the blunt force of the virus until they finally slammed their fist on the population of Wuhan, China and turned it into a gulag. But by then, it was too late, and the virus had already started to spread throughout the world. President Trump immediately put a halt to travel from China and of course was promptly labeled a racist by Nancy Pelosi, other Democrats, and their co-conspirators in the media. Interestingly, even publications like the Washington ComPost and the NY Slimes themselves demanded a travel ban in the early days on what even they then called the Chinese virus. Now the use of that term is of course racist, which means all those years we’ve dealt with the Spanish Flu, German measles, MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome), and I never knew we were ALL racists for calling it a disease from its point of origin.

We’ve learned to appreciate some real heroes we take for granted. Like truck drivers. As bad as this has been, it’s the truckers who have kept this country moving and stocked with food and supplies. When you see a trucker on the highway, say a prayer of thanks for him or her. They’ve been your lifeline. We should be more grateful for health care workers, and not just the doctors who get the attention, but the nurses, front office staff, nursing home workers, technicians, and even the people who clean the buildings where all those folks work. They have been exposed to more germs in a week than most of us will be in a lifetime. And our policemen, fire-fighters, and 1st responders. They don’t get to stay home and wait it out. They are on call 24-7, to clean up the messes humans make. And be grateful for those who deliver mail and packages—whether Post Office, UPS, Fedex, or whoever. I’m getting stuff shipped to my house to keep from venturing out. And those folks in the warehouses, shipping platforms and the drivers getting it to my neighborhood are real heroes to help the rest of us practice social distancing. And grocery clerks and stockers, and pharmacy workers also deserve our deep thanks.

Finally, we are shaken to our roots to realize that with March Madness, the NBA, Major League Baseball, and every sporting event canceled, athletes can’t save us. With the theaters closed, and movie sets shut down, Hollywood and actors can’t save us. And with the financial meltdown, money can’t save us. And with the Congressional bungling of a rescue bill and Pelosi trying to add money for non-virus nonsense like funding abortions and NPR and the Green New Deal, politicians sure can’t save us—in fact, they may end up killing us! But when human institutions fail, God never does. His comfort, His healing, His promises bring us peace when nothing or no one else does or even can. And that’s something we’ve learned from all this.

• Susan Hoffman

03/30/2020 08:21 AM

Thank you, Governor, for being the voice of reason. Perfect scripture today, that the Lord has a plan fir each of us! God bless you and your family!

• Thomas R Sprenger

03/30/2020 07:41 AM

You so right. Please keep it up.

• Rhea Evans

03/30/2020 07:36 AM

THANK YOU FOR ENCOURAGING FAITH!! With the new generation Faith & Hope seems to have gotten lost! Thank you for helping it find it’s way into our homes & heated!!

• Paula K Smith

03/30/2020 07:27 AM

loved our comment about corn cobs! When I run out of TP, I may use fabric softener sheets. Imagine, my butt would smell like lavender, be wrinkle free and no static!
    Or perhaps just use my hands. A guarantee I would wash my hands well and probably not want to touch my face! Keep bring the news, Mike! I appreciate your perspective and humor!

• Jennifer Hammons

03/30/2020 05:19 AM

Thanks Mike for caring on. Don’t know what we would do without your reporting of the truth. Many thanks and may God protect you and your family.

• Norma Hamilton

03/30/2020 02:52 AM

Amen Governor!
    Through all of this His peace, that passes all understanding, is what I pray for daily!

• Norman Scott

03/30/2020 02:30 AM

Thank you Mike for keeping us current on all the political issues of our country! You do a wonderful job reading articles giving us a insight and a balanced perspective that helps us stay ahead of the fake news that is a total disgrace.

• PattieI Prince

03/30/2020 01:45 AM

I guess I go further back than you. I remember when you were happier with a black and white
    Sears catalog since it was easier on the sensitive spots... got the job done.

God Bless America

• Jessica Brooks

03/30/2020 01:21 AM

So true! ??

• Judy Radley

03/30/2020 12:17 AM

Computer technicians and utility workers are also in thankless jobs. They are the ones also to help us get things when we can't venture out. I also have a thought, as I went to help my dad with his word software program this evening as he is retired, but back in service as a part-time Minister. He is 84 yrs. young, and is still vital and energetic, same with my mother too. They were both raised during the depression after effects, World War II, Korean War, and Vietnam War, etc., and know how to conserve and find things to do while not venturing out.

Anyway, back to my thoughts regarding this virus, isn't it better to spend time with your loved ones and risk getting sick than not spend time with them and if something happens to them, you'd feel guilty that you didn't spend more time with them? I think it is better to spend time with them, using precautions, especially our older parents and also our grandchildren. We ALL are only on this Earth for a limited time, so if we don't die from this virus, of course there are other things that will expire our lives for us. We all have an expiration date, nothing can change that, so live life cautiously, but don't stay isolated forever... People need people, we are social animals and need to be with other people, no matter the risks. Yes, God is always with us, and no, He did not cause this situation, it was man-made, but God has gifted us with people who have real solutions to overcome man-made problems. The govt. just needs to get out of the way and let them do their best to get to the solutions. But also God does not want us to be without other people in our lives either. He brings people in to our lives that help us thrive, esp. during trials and tribulations, like this crisis now. Your newsletters help millions of people too. You are helping to do God's work as well. President Trump is also helping with God's work. So yes, A National Day of Prayer is needed, but I pray everyday already, so every day is a Day of Prayer for me and my family.

I tell my grandchildren and my other family members and friends who I talk with on the phone, who are anxious right now, that this WON'T LAST FOREVER, even though it seems like it right now, it will not last forever. Hopefully people will learn from this and be more careful with personal hygiene after this passes.

• Elton Turner

03/29/2020 10:53 PM

When I was younger and visited an out house, there always was a Sears, Montgomery Ward Catalog or an old telephone book. We survived.

• Kathryn Foley

03/29/2020 10:24 PM

Thank you for your daily emails. I have not followed any of the major news services but rely on your commentaries. Now I am starting to get worried about Trump’s political future. I wish he would not make predictions (back to normal by Easter) that will probably not be possible. Everything he says or doesn’t say will be examined and criticized by the Dems.
    I am a senior citizen living in a retirement community and we are in isolation with our food being brought to us so we are not suffering. But eating with the other residents is one of the major plus factors for living here. I appreciate the concern for the vulnerable elderly, but the isolation may be harmful also!
    Thanks again and God Bless Us All!

• Norene Clark

03/29/2020 10:21 PM

Well, let's see. God told the human race in Genesis that GLOBALISM aka One Worldism was a real bad idea....in order to protect the human race from from itself and possible extinction, God's design was individual independent sovereign nations, each with their own Constitutions, Presidents, Government, laws, economy, currency, with common ethnicity, common language, common culture with well delineated, well protected borders and the most fit, best armed, best trained military possible...so in light of this, God scattered the people into their own nations sending the sons of Japheth in one direction, the sons of Ham in another and the sons of Shem in another and not wanting a lingua franca (such as English is today) He confused their languages ....lest some unseen evil hold sway over the whole world.

• Rod stanton

03/29/2020 10:03 PM

This thought occurred to me and inspired me to write this poem.
    When I got done and reread it, it gave me chills. It’s kinda deep. But the message should make you think.

Terror spread across the land.
    With an unknown future coast to coast.
    Simple things, now in demand.
    Changing things we love the most.

Day and night it moved with speed.
    We could not make it stop.
    We didn’t have the things we need.
    A new life, we must adopt.

It affects us all, young and old.
    The changes are not good.
    It’s going to last, we are told
    We would end it, if we could.

There was a cure, but it was lost.
    In a future doctor’s brilliant mind.
    Now with this virus, we pay the cost.
    For a child aborted in seventy nine.

• Clair Strelow

03/29/2020 09:47 PM

Thanks, Governor, for reminding us that God is in control no matter what. Sometimes it's hard to trust Him when all around me is failing, but He has never failed me, so I will keep on believin'!

• Debra Nelson

03/29/2020 09:39 PM

Thank you Mike! I pray for our President, Nation, World and our enemies. Those of us who believe have a peace others can't understand. That's not to say we are reckless or that we don't think we should follow the rules set before us, on the contrary we take the guidelines very seriously but we bring all of it to our Lord in prayer and thanksgiving. Thank you for saying what needed to be said. God will never leave or forsake us. He never fails. God Bless you!

• Beth

03/29/2020 09:10 PM

I had a lady tell me the other day she lived in Europe and their public restrooms only offer newspaper instead of toilet paper. My mother told me they used newspaper or the catalog from Sears or Montgomery Ward. Toilet paper at one time was only for the rich but now we cannot go without it.

• Dolores Mendez

03/29/2020 09:06 PM

Amen

• Scott Knapp

03/29/2020 08:54 PM

Amen!

• Rebecca Davis

03/29/2020 08:47 PM

AMEN!!!

• Carole J. Mansfield

03/29/2020 08:30 PM

I'm asking about our rural mailboxes. How do we know when we walk out to our mailbox that our mail is safe to handle? Please respond for I am one of the compromised seniors. Thank you!

• Dahni Hayden

03/29/2020 08:27 PM

Kind of comes in handy, once a minister always a minister! God is the only one that can save and the only one in to whom to place our hope and trust! Great post?

• Suzanne Marienau

03/29/2020 08:26 PM

Mike,
    Ephesians 6:12 tells us, "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."
    We must remember that Satan is coming against this world with all he has, as his days are growing shorter. Whether it looks like it or not, the Lord God is in control. He always has been, and He always will be. It's tragic to see how many people have fallen away from God. No human can heal what ails us. Only God can, and it's way past time that we all dropped to our knees to Him, confessed our sins & sincerely repented of them. If we turn from our evil ways, He has promised to heal us. Instead of listening to each and every opinion from people who really have no answers, we need to be praying to God, asking that we do HIS will!

• Clara Todd

03/29/2020 08:24 PM

The coronavirus is a chastisement from God. We have to pray, pray, pray to God. I pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet, the Rosary, the St. Michael Chaplet and I participate with the Catholic Mass on EWTN during the morning hours every day. My prayers are for the conversion of sinners, that we amend our lives, and for those who don't believe in God and for those who don't know God. All religions are praying and we need more people to pray.

• Mary Evans

03/29/2020 08:19 PM

Thanks Mike! And Thank God you are right. He is teaching us all through this tragic time, I am excited to know just how many souls will come to know Jesus and seek Salvation during this time. God has a reason for everything, right? :)?? Love your messages. Take care of yourself and your family. God bless you and keep you safe and healthy. Mary Evans from St. Louis, Mo.

When human institutions fail, God never does

March 29, 2020 |

• Susan Hoffman

03/30/2020 08:21 AM

• Thomas R Sprenger

03/30/2020 07:41 AM

You so right. Please keep it up.

• Rhea Evans

03/30/2020 07:36 AM

• Paula K Smith

03/30/2020 07:27 AM

• Jennifer Hammons

03/30/2020 05:19 AM

• Norma Hamilton

03/30/2020 02:52 AM

Amen Governor!

• Norman Scott

03/30/2020 02:30 AM

• PattieI Prince

03/30/2020 01:45 AM

Sears catalog since it was easier on the sensitive spots... got the job done.

God Bless America

• Jessica Brooks

03/30/2020 01:21 AM

So true! ??

• Judy Radley

03/30/2020 12:17 AM

• Elton Turner

03/29/2020 10:53 PM

• Kathryn Foley

03/29/2020 10:24 PM

Thanks again and God Bless Us All!

• Norene Clark

03/29/2020 10:21 PM

• Rod stanton

03/29/2020 10:03 PM

This thought occurred to me and inspired me to write this poem.

Terror spread across the land.
    With an unknown future coast to coast.
    Simple things, now in demand.
    Changing things we love the most.

Day and night it moved with speed.
    We could not make it stop.
    We didn’t have the things we need.
    A new life, we must adopt.

It affects us all, young and old.
    The changes are not good.
    It’s going to last, we are told
    We would end it, if we could.

There was a cure, but it was lost.
    In a future doctor’s brilliant mind.
    Now with this virus, we pay the cost.
    For a child aborted in seventy nine.

• Clair Strelow

When human institutions fail, God never does

March 29, 2020 |

• Susan Hoffman

03/30/2020 08:21 AM

• Thomas R Sprenger

03/30/2020 07:41 AM

You so right. Please keep it up.

• Rhea Evans

03/30/2020 07:36 AM

• Paula K Smith

03/30/2020 07:27 AM

• Jennifer Hammons

03/30/2020 05:19 AM

• Norma Hamilton

03/30/2020 02:52 AM

Amen Governor!

• Norman Scott

03/30/2020 02:30 AM

• PattieI Prince

03/30/2020 01:45 AM

Sears catalog since it was easier on the sensitive spots... got the job done.

God Bless America

• Jessica Brooks

03/30/2020 01:21 AM

So true! ??

• Judy Radley

03/30/2020 12:17 AM

• Elton Turner

03/29/2020 10:53 PM

• Kathryn Foley

03/29/2020 10:24 PM

Thanks again and God Bless Us All!

• Norene Clark

03/29/2020 10:21 PM

• Rod stanton

03/29/2020 10:03 PM

This thought occurred to me and inspired me to write this poem.

Terror spread across the land.
    With an unknown future coast to coast.
    Simple things, now in demand.
    Changing things we love the most.

Day and night it moved with speed.
    We could not make it stop.
    We didn’t have the things we need.
    A new life, we must adopt.

It affects us all, young and old.
    The changes are not good.
    It’s going to last, we are told
    We would end it, if we could.

There was a cure, but it was lost.
    In a future doctor’s brilliant mind.
    Now with this virus, we pay the cost.
    For a child aborted in seventy nine.

• Clair Strelow