Evening Edition - March 30

March 30, 2020 |

I’m not going to get into all the endless TDS-inspired barking and snapping from the media that have been attacking, badgering and second-guessing everything Trump has done from day one, and who attacked him for saying he hoped to reopen by Easter and will now assail him as a miserable, incompetent failure for not reopening by Easter. I’m tired of listening to their constant, mindless negativity. He merely expressed a hope, and thank God someone has, because we’re certainly not getting any from the press.

Nor are we getting any from the “loyal opposition,” who sometimes almost seem to be rooting for a deadly virus and an economic collapse if it will help their electoral prospects. I was especially disgusted to see some media voices seeming to chortle in satisfaction at the Dow drop, describing it as the loss of “Trump’s economy.” No, that’s the American people’s economy. You should be rooting for them, not cheering their misery.

It might also be easier to take some of the constant criticism of how Trump is trying to do the impossible if the people launching it could point to anything – ANYTHING – they have said in the past three months that turned out to be correct. For instance, Joe Biden continues to criticize Trump for not acting swiftly enough or making the decisions he would have made when we know what decision he would have made back in January: he would have let people from China keep streaming into the US to spread the disease until we were Wuhan II rather than risk having someone like him call him a racist. Other Democrats like New York City Mayor Bill DeBlasio continued encouraging people to go out and mingle until earlier this month, while the Mayor of New Orleans seems to think it’s somehow Trump’s fault that the city didn’t cancel Mardi Gras. I ask you to consider:

What would these liberal leaders have done if Trump had actually attempted what they now attack him for not doing – indeed, what they are doing themselves: shutting down cities, turning people away at state borders, and in the most unconscionable act I have seen in many years, if Trump had threatened, as DeBlasio has, to shut down church and synagogue services and “take additional action up to the point of fines and potentially closing the building permanently,” if people gathered to worship. Note: that's not just a threat to shut them down during the virus outbreak, but "permanently."

I think you all know what would happen if Trump had done anything like that. They would have called him a fascist dictator, “literally worse than Hitler,” and run to the nearest liberal federal judge to get a nationwide injunction to block his efforts.

We also know that while Trump was dealing with the earliest days of the outbreak, all his opponents were obsessed with was distracting him with their pointless impeachment boondoggle and trying to turn everything he did into a federal offense. Even now, as he’s trying to clear government out of the way to blunt a pandemic and save the economy, the same people complaining that he’s moving too slowly are trying to throw endless roadblocks in his way with complaints from self-styled “whistleblowers” demanding more investigations. Here we go again. Can you imagine if FDR and Eisenhower had had to deal with this while planning D-Day?

The cold fact is that it is not possible for any nation to be fully prepared to deal with something this big, sudden and unpredictable and get everything right. To begin with, many of the resources Biden claims he would have had at the ready were depleted by the Obama/Biden Administration (when I hear the phrase “Biden 2020,” I now think it refers to his “20/20 hindsight.”) As one commenter on Lucianne.com put it well, Trump has handed off a ’58 Studebaker. Now he’s being savaged for not converting it into a Tesla overnight.

And I can’t even fault the previous Administration for not being prepared immediately to deal with something like this, when it hasn’t happened in over a century. Of course, we weren't fully prepared for it. It would be like attacking FDR for not having a standing army big enough to fight World War II two years before Pearl Harbor.

Add to it that this is a very fluid situation. It’s a new disease that we know nothing about and there’s a deadly learning curve. Trump is attacked for not listening to “experts” (even though he has; that’s more fake news.) Yet the experts first told us masks don’t help stop the spread, now some are saying maybe they do. Some called a suggested treatment “false hope;” new studies seem to show it’s helping. Experts assumed patients on ventilators must be on their backs; some now report it helps more to put some on their stomachs. So-called “experts” compare our numbers (143,055 confirmed cases, 2513 deaths) to other nations, which considering the vast differences in population density, medical systems and unreliability of statistics makes such comparisons meaningless. Experts assailed Trump for saying that a shutdown economy might lead to more suicides, and…

So pardon me if I’m fresh out of patience for listening to Trump’s professional critics claim he’ s gotten everything wrong from the beginning and we should listen to them. I’ll listen to them when they can tell me just one thing they’ve gotten right from the beginning, the middle or even just recently.

---------------------------

For those in need of the $1200-a-person support checks, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin says Americans should see them direct-deposited into the back accounts within three weeks. For those who are not signed up for direct-deposit, there will be an online system created where you can upload your account information and not have to wait for a check to be mailed.

--------------------------------

The worst suffering from the COVID-19 virus is in densely-populated areas, with many rural areas not yet seeing a single case (yet another thing the left has gotten spectacularly wrong: that suburbs and country living are bad, and we all need to be in densely-populated urban areas, riding together on mass transit.) For rural folks, it may seem like a terrible thing, but far away.

However, the deadly seriousness of this disease was brought home to everyone with the word over the weekend that Grammy-winning country music artist Joe Diffie has died of complications from the coronavirus, just two days after announcing he was sick. He was only 61. Diffie had 18 top 10 hit singles, including “Home,” “Pickup Man” and “If the Devil Danced (In Empty Pockets.)” Five reached #1, and he was a member of the Grand Ole Opry for 25 years.

--------------------------------------

It was also reported that Alan Merill, co-writer of the smash '80s hit, “I Love Rock and Roll,” has died at 69 in New York City of complications from the coronavirus.

Our prayers and sympathies to both men’s families, and to everyone who is struggling with this disease or who has lost a loved one to it.

----------------------------

Also, please say a prayer today for folk singer/songwriter John Prine, who is reportedly in critical care with symptoms synonymous with those of COVID-19, but it’s not yet verified that’s what it is. His wife Fiona tested positive on March 20.

John Prine has long been acclaimed one of America’s greatest songwriters, with an unmatched talent for striking turns of phrase, such as his description of feeling “naked as the eyes of a clown.” Some of his classic songs include “Angel from Montgomery,” “Paradise,” “Sam Stone,” “Hello In There,” “Donald and Lydia,” “Illegal Smile,” and “Far From Me,” and those are just from his first album in 1971. He received the Grammy Awards’ Lifetime Achievement Honor in January. He has survived two life-threatening battles against cancer, and I hope you will join me in praying that he recovers fully and goes on to bring the world more warmth, joy and insight through many more great songs to come.

---------------------------------

To all those who think the solution to our current medical crisis is government health care, here’s the latest video from Prager University, detailing some nightmare experiences with Canada’s “free government health care” system. Hint: if you’re told you can have a colonoscopy to remove polyps in November, don’t leave without finding out which year.

This is where we got the old joke, “Why can’t America adopt a Canadian-style medical care system? Because then where would Canadians go when they need a doctor?”

------------------------------

Former Oklahoma Republican Sen. Tom Coburn passed away Saturday at 72 after a long struggle with prostate cancer. Coburn was something you seldom see anymore in Washington: someone who fought for his principles, stood up for the taxpayer against government waste and pork barrel spending (earning him the nickname “The Dr. No of the Senate”), yet he was respected by members on both sides of the aisle. Here is an excellent tribute to him…

…And here’s another reason why Americans no longer respect the media. Even upon his death, the New York Times couldn’t resist saying negative things about Coburn for protecting taxpayer money, but they found ways to praise a murderous, oppressive communist tyrant like Fidel Castro when he descended to his final reward.

• Gail Wells LaHatte

03/30/2020 09:51 PM

Thank God for patriots like you .

• Mary Oscarson

03/30/2020 09:50 PM

So very well said Mike! Prayers for all that have this virus,and prayers for the families and friends of those that have had a family member that have passed away from this virus.Gods many blessings to you and yours always...Trump 2020

• Estelle Waymire

03/30/2020 09:17 PM

Why don't someone put a call out for all Christians to pray as stated in 2nd Chronicles 7:14. Our God is a God of the impossible. He parted the Red Sea, and surely He can stop/halt a virus. Why not give God a chance by praying and believing. Thank you and God bless you.

• Ken Wilson

03/30/2020 09:17 PM

If Donald Trump said that he was going to attempt to walk on water the liberal left and the media would drain every pool and pond to prevent him for doing it because deep down they’re afraid he might accomplish it.

Also, please don’t put me on your mailing list as I already receive it twice.

• Susan L Yezzi

03/30/2020 09:15 PM

Excellent commentary as always!

• David Marney

03/30/2020 09:01 PM

I'd rather have the 58 Studebaker...:)

• Suzann R Shallenberger

03/30/2020 08:55 PM

Governor Huckabee, your commentary is so very factual and comforting. You certainly have it right about our country's current crisis and how President Trump is managing this pandemic. We can be very thankful that we have leaders who are capable and prudent with their judgment. We are also very grateful for you and all you have done and continue to do to keep this country on the right track. In a side note, your weekly television program on TBN is fantastic! Keep up the good work!

• Marji Clark

03/30/2020 08:28 PM

Tell President Trump to stick to the facts. His ego sometimes gets in his way. Ignore the reporrers and the liberals and just keep doing a good job.

• Kay DeWitt

03/30/2020 08:25 PM

One more magnificent, touching, sensitive...mentally, emotionally, psychologically and spiritually healthy....message....Is there any way that President Trump is reading your newsletters because, if NOT, he needs to! I am serious about this!

If only President Trump could preach this message!...Upon my just writing this, it occurred to me that I used the word "preach" because there is an anointed sermon IN this message...and, upon my just writing THIS, it occurred to me that, perhaps, you SHOULD preach it....and then put it on YouTube...BECAUSE...

I can see you pounding the podium as you say, "So pardon me if I’m fresh out of patience for listening to Trump’s professional critics claim he’ s gotten everything wrong from the beginning and we should listen to them. I’ll listen to them when they can tell me just one thing they’ve gotten right from the beginning, the middle or even just recently! "....! AND THEN....YOU CAN GO ON AND POINT OUT HOW NO MATTER WHAT PRESIDENT TRUMP DOES, THEY CRITICIZE HIM FOR IT!

Perhaps here you could hit the podium again, as you repeat your words, "so pardon me again if I'm fresh out of patience" that, even during this pandemic crisis that has cost people their own lives...or the life of a loved one....the Democrats are more consumed by their hatred for their President than they are by their love for their fellow Americans or they would be doing everything they could to support him rather than criticize him!

If the YouTube goes "viral" (as I have heard that some of them do) then maybe President Trump will hear about it!

• Darlene and Steven Weigum

03/30/2020 08:17 PM

The government is stealing our constitutional rights and freedoms because of this virus. I voted for Trump and Dewine. I will not again. Pastor Greg Locke from Tennesee said they arrested a Pastor in Florida for having church services yesterday. The Governor of New York is threatening the Pastors there with fines and closing their churches down for good. Some one needs to reach Trump with this. It is separation of church and state. This is communistic, like Russia or China would do. Our Governor in Ohio is a little nazi and I mean it He is taking away freedoms every day. Telling people they can not even go to the parks. These kids need to get out of the house.Please open your eyes ,I have so much respect for you but have lost all the love and respect I had for Trump.I have prayed for him daily ,converted others to vote for him and now he is turning our country into a communist regime over night. We never gave the government this kind of freedom to tell us we can not go and worship our Lord at our local church. They are talking about keeping everything shut down until after the fourth of July. There will be a civil war before then.
    Thank you and God Bless You.

• Nancy McNeely

03/30/2020 08:13 PM

I really liked today at President Trump’s talk to the nation from the Rose Garden.... how he recognized the people from the different companies and how they came up to the podium and told what their company was doing to help combat this virus. I especially enjoyed “My Pillow” and how he had a positive talk about President Trump!!

• Richard Boultinghouse

03/30/2020 08:02 PM

Love your use of the word "descended" when referring to Castro.

• Ellen Stortz

03/30/2020 08:02 PM

Thank God for sending us Donald Trump. No one else could do what he can. He will be what saves us. It seems so obvious to me. Why is the left so clueless?

• Nelda White

03/30/2020 07:58 PM

I, too, get tire of the negative people that hate our president more than they love America or even their family. If they loved their family, they would want these things to work for the better for family and country. But by God's grave, I keep staying positive and I know you do too. Thank you for all you do to give encouragement.

• Bonnie McLaughlin

03/30/2020 07:55 PM

Can't ANYTHING be done about politicians lying about important national issues? How can they be exposed for what they are when the biased media are all part of the problem and not everyone watches FOX or Newsmax. It makes me want to pull my hair out, especially when intelligent people I know make comments like "Did you hear that Trump said he wants to sign every stimulus check? He's using virus as his presidential campaign rally". We know where they heard that! It's disgraceful and I pray for our country to wake up soon. TY for all you do to keep us informed.

• JC Holland

03/30/2020 07:51 PM

Mike:
    They said there would never be euthanasia in the U.S.

But now several states have it.

They said abortion never go beyond the first trimester.

Then it did.

That said abortion would never go past the 2nd trimester.

The it did.

Why do you continue to disregard stories in the U.S. ,not UK, that large hospitals in major democrat run cities aren't discussing who they will resuscitate? With no regard for the desire of patients or family.

They are indeed talking about doing it. Do some research.

• Linda C. Furlong

03/30/2020 07:21 PM

The media of today remind me of Pravda.

• Jannette F. Dillingham

03/30/2020 07:16 PM

Your comments help me keep a positive attitude. My sister and I don't listen to the lamestream media anymore. It's too emotionally draining; there is no news; and their's is only expression of anger and hate toward President Trump. I am thankful to God for CBN; they are always accurate and uplifting in reporting the news. I also enjoy the conservative internet newsletters. I wish I could afford cable and Fox news.

• Robert Crane

03/30/2020 07:13 PM

It baffles me to know that people elect some Democrats, it doesn't say much for our country

• Penelope Suozzi

03/30/2020 07:08 PM

Maybe we should put the mainstream media in quarantine for a month. It would certainly improve our lives.

• ken moore

03/30/2020 07:07 PM

close the USA Mexican border permenantly

• Linda D Radosevich

03/30/2020 06:50 PM

You tell 'em, Guv! We're all out of patience with them too!

• Mary Howard

03/30/2020 06:45 PM

The lamestream media have made themselves the laughint stock of most Americans. They are only inpressed by themselves, the rest of us don't have time to be impressed by their self aggrandizement,

• Lee Stafford

03/30/2020 06:43 PM

I love the president now chewing up the media for their terrible reporting!

• Jerry korba

03/30/2020 06:30 PM

Sad to hear of the passing of joe diffie and to all the people moving on. Spent the day outdoors trimming and raking no media today and I am very peaceful laying in my lounger a few hours of sun left my advice for the people like
    Me stuck at home get outside and connect with nature do some spring cleaning in a month we will be planting flowers getting the patio and the gezebos ready for party time MAGA

Evening Edition - March 30

March 30, 2020 |

---------------------------

--------------------------------

--------------------------------------

----------------------------

---------------------------------

------------------------------

• Gail Wells LaHatte

03/30/2020 09:51 PM

Thank God for patriots like you .

• Mary Oscarson

03/30/2020 09:50 PM

• Estelle Waymire

03/30/2020 09:17 PM

• Ken Wilson

03/30/2020 09:17 PM

Also, please don’t put me on your mailing list as I already receive it twice.

• Susan L Yezzi

03/30/2020 09:15 PM

Excellent commentary as always!

• David Marney

03/30/2020 09:01 PM

I'd rather have the 58 Studebaker...:)

• Suzann R Shallenberger

03/30/2020 08:55 PM

• Marji Clark

03/30/2020 08:28 PM

• Kay DeWitt

03/30/2020 08:25 PM

• Darlene and Steven Weigum

03/30/2020 08:17 PM

Thank you and God Bless You.

• Nancy McNeely

03/30/2020 08:13 PM

• Richard Boultinghouse

03/30/2020 08:02 PM

Love your use of the word "descended" when referring to Castro.

• Ellen Stortz

03/30/2020 08:02 PM

• Nelda White

03/30/2020 07:58 PM

• Bonnie McLaughlin

03/30/2020 07:55 PM

• JC Holland

03/30/2020 07:51 PM

Mike:
    They said there would never be euthanasia in the U.S.

But now several states have it.

They said abortion never go beyond the first trimester.

Then it did.

That said abortion would never go past the 2nd trimester.

The it did.

They are indeed talking about doing it. Do some research.

• Linda C. Furlong

03/30/2020 07:21 PM

The media of today remind me of Pravda.

• Jannette F. Dillingham

03/30/2020 07:16 PM

• Robert Crane

03/30/2020 07:13 PM

• Penelope Suozzi

03/30/2020 07:08 PM

• ken moore

03/30/2020 07:07 PM

close the USA Mexican border permenantly

• Linda D Radosevich

03/30/2020 06:50 PM

You tell 'em, Guv! We're all out of patience with them too!

• Mary Howard

03/30/2020 06:45 PM

• Lee Stafford

03/30/2020 06:43 PM

I love the president now chewing up the media for their terrible reporting!

• Jerry korba

03/30/2020 06:30 PM

Evening Edition - March 30

March 30, 2020 |

---------------------------

--------------------------------

--------------------------------------

----------------------------

---------------------------------

------------------------------

• Gail Wells LaHatte

03/30/2020 09:51 PM

Thank God for patriots like you .

• Mary Oscarson

03/30/2020 09:50 PM

• Estelle Waymire

03/30/2020 09:17 PM

• Ken Wilson

03/30/2020 09:17 PM

Also, please don’t put me on your mailing list as I already receive it twice.

• Susan L Yezzi

03/30/2020 09:15 PM

Excellent commentary as always!

• David Marney

03/30/2020 09:01 PM

I'd rather have the 58 Studebaker...:)

• Suzann R Shallenberger

03/30/2020 08:55 PM

• Marji Clark

03/30/2020 08:28 PM

• Kay DeWitt

03/30/2020 08:25 PM

• Darlene and Steven Weigum

03/30/2020 08:17 PM

Thank you and God Bless You.

• Nancy McNeely

03/30/2020 08:13 PM

• Richard Boultinghouse

03/30/2020 08:02 PM

Love your use of the word "descended" when referring to Castro.

• Ellen Stortz

03/30/2020 08:02 PM

• Nelda White

03/30/2020 07:58 PM

• Bonnie McLaughlin

03/30/2020 07:55 PM

• JC Holland

03/30/2020 07:51 PM

Mike:
    They said there would never be euthanasia in the U.S.

But now several states have it.

They said abortion never go beyond the first trimester.

Then it did.

That said abortion would never go past the 2nd trimester.

The it did.

They are indeed talking about doing it. Do some research.

• Linda C. Furlong

03/30/2020 07:21 PM

The media of today remind me of Pravda.

• Jannette F. Dillingham

03/30/2020 07:16 PM

• Robert Crane

03/30/2020 07:13 PM

• Penelope Suozzi

03/30/2020 07:08 PM

• ken moore

03/30/2020 07:07 PM

close the USA Mexican border permenantly

• Linda D Radosevich

03/30/2020 06:50 PM

You tell 'em, Guv! We're all out of patience with them too!

• Mary Howard

03/30/2020 06:45 PM

• Lee Stafford

03/30/2020 06:43 PM

I love the president now chewing up the media for their terrible reporting!

• Jerry korba