May 29, 2019

(Warning: This story contains some very shocking content and is for adults' eyes only.)

There is a story going all around the media about the late Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.  It started with an article in the Times of London that referenced biographer David Garrow, who describes newly-released FBI memos discussing alleged secret tapes made by bugging Dr. King’s hotel room.  The FBI files allegedly include claims that King had affairs with up to 40 women, engaging in a sex orgy and watched as a pastor friend raped a female parishioner.

A number of publications rejected this story, but it eventually came out, mostly because of Garrow, who won a Pulitizer Prize for his previous biography of King and who, as a “Democratic socialist,” can’t be accused of being hostile to Dr. King. He says this "poses so fundamental a challenge to his historical stature as to require the most complete and extensive historical review possible."

As someone who has always been deeply inspired by the actions and words of the Rev. King, I am both very disturbed by these allegations and deeply skeptical.  For one thing, even Garrow hasn’t heard these alleged tapes, which aren’t set for release until 2027.  All he has to go on is FBI memos talking about King and the tapes.  We know that at the time, J. Edgar Hoover and others in the FBI hated and feared Dr. King and were determined to get any dirt on him and use it to blackmail him into ending his civil rights crusade.  A corrupt law enforcement agency that would spy on an American citizen in an attempt to extort him would hardly flinch at lying about him or framing him, or badmouthing him in internal communications they never expected anyone to see (wow, this story suddenly seems awfully relevant to today.)

I would urge everyone who hears this story to bear those facts in mind before making any judgements. All this is based on is half-century-old secondhand comments written by notoriously biased people with a big ax to grind.  There is, as yet, zero evidence to back it up.  I’m upset that I even have to write about it, but the lack of evidence didn’t stop major media outlets from turning it into a big story, so I have to comment on it.

Sadly, we live in an age where believing accusations without evidence or due process, even against people from different times who are no longer around to defend themselves, is considered “social justice.”  In this article, a reader makes a thought-provoking argument: even if it does turn out to have some truth to it (a big if), could some good come of this if it is seen as a bridge too far that finally ends the left’s war on historical figures?  Would leftists really demand that we demolish Dr. King's dream and fulfill the dreams of his enemies by renaming all the streets named after him or tearing down his memorial in Washington?  Please read it to the end.

As the reader notes, maybe this will spell the turning point at which these mobs with torches who are burning history books and smashing statues finally grow up and realize that there are no perfect human beings -- that people with deep flaws can do great things, and that when we commemorate the great things they did, we aren’t glorifying their faults.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• Linda Riffle

05/29/2019 02:38 PM

The one thing that I think needs to be investigated is the allegation that Dr. King was a card carrying communist. I read in an article several years ago that he was a member of approximately 23 communist organizations. It proceeded to say that this fact is filed in the Library of Congress. I have always wondered if this was really true, and if it is, why hasn't it been brought out?

• Randy Adamson

05/29/2019 02:32 PM

Even if one affair is true then don’t go by Reverend- King, Jackson, Sharpton all give Christians a bad name.
    Maybe a little humility?

• rodney burke

05/29/2019 02:06 PM

as Rush said yesterday, the FAR left is so far removed from the principles of MLK that it likely is a big "who cares" at this point. If Garrow is right, it reveals the dark side of a man who shouldn't have one. So his religion was in vain. And he has already paid the price for it.

• rodney burke

05/29/2019 02:05 PM

• Lynn Smith

05/29/2019 01:51 PM

Governor Huckabee-----I totally agree with your above statement-------there are no perfect people, and character flaws can't wipe out all the good things people do. I must say---I've heard these stories about the Good Reverend King-----even the night before his Assassination there were said to have been two women in his room---not his wife. I can't totally dismiss these things as Idle gossip for another reason. Bill O'Reilly wrote a book called Killing Kennedy, and as you know he does a lot of deep research on those books. In this one he did address Dr. Kings behavior and to my surprise, President Kennedy is said to have called King to the White House to discuss his blatant philandering and the orgies. We all know Kennedy was no Angel, and he actually was saying to Dr. King, "Tone it down------be more discreate." Not "Stop it!" He told King it could become dangerous for him. Did I like President Kennedy----yes I did-----I think he did many good things for our Country--------but he was a flawed individual as well-----which also proves your point.

• Valerie Nathanson

05/29/2019 01:14 PM

“They” are already destroying what Rev. King put into place with blood, sweat, and tears. There is as much division, distrust, and disdain now as there was then.
    I’ve heard these rumors through the years and do find it disturbing as I found the rumors that were found to be true regarding JFK.
    I am told that my grandfather used to say to be careful who you point your finger at because there are three pointing back at you.
    God bless you Governor

• Sharon Emerson

05/29/2019 01:00 PM

I was working in Boise, ID in 1962-64. I had a political job with the State of Idaho. In those days you were hired based on the political affiliation of the governor. Someone in our office had photos of MLK sitting in KKK meetings. This was before photo shop and were black and white pictures. I have never liked MLK and didn't trust him after seeing those photos.

• Elizabeth B Crouse

05/29/2019 12:38 PM

I lived in Montgomery during King boycotts. I saw good and I saw bad, but Dr. King is dead. Close the case.

• Beth Sarazen

05/29/2019 12:36 PM

I am saddened to hear that since we republicans have embraced the calling if Dr. King the left would try to destroy not only his legacy but his character as well. Especially when he can't defend want they accuse. The ?? is ruling the left party and We are going to have to rise up and d defend our country against them . Im confident that there is trouble coming and we will have to fight them.

• Kathryn Cooper

05/29/2019 12:35 PM

This is ancient news. As a teenager and young adult in the decade if the 1960s, King was not revered in our family, not because of his race, but because of the knowledge that he spouted love and peace and righteousness while being an adulterer and every time he gave a speech about brotherhood and peace, he incited riots. Where were you in those days? We are about the same age. Inspire if the fact that there was not balanced news in those days, there was information about this in print. Much opposition to creating MLK Day was about his perverted lifestyle while spouting righteousness. I recall the dismay of many when congress ignored all this and honored him anyway.

• Dennis Davis

05/29/2019 11:31 AM

Hmmm so the FBI under Edger at that time bugged MLK? Well if this is true where are the tapes/films of this allege orgy? No evidence of this allege orgy then shut up and stop spreading lies. Knowing the EJH's past and the JFK files I am sure MLK was bugged along with many others of us who will never know what is in those files. But for someone to write something about someone or something should be forced to produce proof before opening their big mouths or printing of propaganda or here say. My opinion if you make statements as these you best be able to back them up or face SLANDER and possible other criminal charges. No one should be able to speculate crime or statements against any one before having proof of it. This is wrong. The media should be regulated as to what or how they present news.
    I also think the word allege is used to often to spread garbage.

• Donna Oates

05/29/2019 10:54 AM

I am with you. I grew up in the South during de-segregation. As a believer I knew that segregation was wrong and needed to be changed. I agree with Dr. King that a man should be judged by his character not the color of his skin.

I also agree with you that, "there are no perfect human beings -- that people with deep flaws can do great things, and that when we commemorate the great things they did, we aren’t glorying their faults."

• Mamaw Osburn

05/29/2019 10:08 AM

Even good men have demons they have to fight, Dr King was a good man, and left a good legacy. Democrats are like King Midas, they just substitute crap for gold. If he did like women it is not for us to judge. I think as much as they hated him , it would have been used to discredit him, unless they blackmailed him into martyrdom with it.

• T Van Magers

05/29/2019 09:51 AM

Are you aware that the electronic surveillances of Dr. King were authorized by Attorney General Robert Kennedy? Former FBI Director James Comey said that he kept the authorization (or at least one of them) in his office.

• James C Kelly

05/29/2019 09:47 AM

Don't suppose anyone believed James Earl Ray when he told MLK's family that he did not shoot him?

I imagine it would be downright un-American to wonder about possible J. Edgar Hoover involvement?

• Anne Turner

05/29/2019 09:45 AM

When I was a teen, I heard rumors the Dr. King did have affairs. I think that is pretty well known, but this is over the top and I am very skeptical. For one thing, I think he was too smart to risk that kind of notoriety. People talk. Not to excuse this behavior in any way, many famous and great men, and a few women, have been womanizers, the Kennedys, Bill, Ben Franklin, Roosevelt, Johnson and Trump,
    Among others. They were immoral in their personal life but did some good things. People are multidimensional and should be honored for their achievements. Even if Jefferson had a slave mistress, she was a half sister to his beloved wife, I think it was a love story and he could not marry her by law. There is no evidence that he went from pillow to pillow. He had slaves as did many great men of the time. Slavery was an anathema, but he was still a great man, warts and all. People need to Skype themselves, if their own lives are so very sin free.

• Mary Krueger

05/29/2019 09:14 AM

When will they go after the 12 disciples? These attacks are how bullying starts in our schools. These attacks are how children will never learn that everyone is flawed.... it is a sad day. Please Heavenly Father, heal our nation...

• Vickie Fiorentino

05/29/2019 09:10 AM

So, will we get to see the tapes and photos, as they are released (much as the Kennedy files)? will the statues come down and the streets be renamed? Fat chance...

• Debra J Black

05/29/2019 09:09 AM

I personally don't believe this story. But, I like to quote he who has not sinned let him cast the first stone. Sin is sin no matter the deed. Why now do they bring this up? Seems strange. Next, they will want to knock down his memorial. We are in a spiritual battle in this nation. But God will win.

• Edie Hagene

05/29/2019 08:55 AM

Thanks for getting this out there quickly. I have in my lifetime heard rumors previously that MLK was a womanizer and unfaithful but without substance as to who or anything else about it.
    I so totally agree that the smear campaign is not what I will continue to remember about MLK. In Bill O’Reillys book killing Kennedy this subject is touched on and MLK was also feared by the democrat party.
    In summary I can only say that I like others have my own tainted past and I can tell you it is not who I am today. It just leaves me humble and slow to jump on a hate wagon against another's past. In the case of MLK his final legacy is very valuable to our current political climate.
    Thanks Edie Hagene

• Stephen Russell

05/29/2019 08:46 AM

Will the MLK family fight this?? Stains his kin & the whole black race alone.
    Must fight this, Thanks then J Edgar for his tapes then.
    Make Public now

May 29, 2019

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• Linda Riffle

• Beth Sarazen

05/29/2019 12:36 PM

• Kathryn Cooper

05/29/2019 12:35 PM

• Dennis Davis

05/29/2019 11:31 AM

I also think the word allege is used to often to spread garbage.

• Donna Oates

05/29/2019 09:09 AM

• Edie Hagene

05/29/2019 08:55 AM

Thanks Edie Hagene

• Stephen Russell

05/29/2019 08:46 AM

Will the MLK family fight this?? Stains his kin & the whole black race alone.
    Must fight this, Thanks then J Edgar for his tapes then.
    Make Public now