December 21, 2019

I’ve long noticed that about the only time the mainstream media give positive coverage anymore to people of faith is when they can find someone who will attack other people of faith, or who will take the leftist side in a political issue. So naturally, when the magazine Christianity Today, which was founded by the Rev. Billy Graham, published an editorial endorsing the impeachment and removal of President Trump, that got all kinds of media coverage.  The editor even cited Graham’s name.

That fired up the Rev. Franklin Graham, who wrote: “Yes, my father Billy Graham founded Christianity Today; but no, he would not agree with their opinion piece. In fact, he would be very disappointed.” He said Christianity Today had moved to the left and “now represents the elitist liberal wing of evangelicalism.” He pointed out that no Republicans, many of whom are strong Christians, were convinced by the “evidence,” and neither were a couple of Democrats. He called the impeachment vote “politically motivated, 100% partisan,” and said Trump has been a pro-life champion and a staunch defender of religious freedom.

He also revealed for the first time that his late father voted for Trump, believing him to be “the man for this hour in history for our nation.”

Now, I feel I would be remiss if I didn’t tell you the reason that Christianity Today gave for demanding Trump’s removal, so I will quote their editorial verbatim:

“But the facts in this instance are unambiguous: The president of the United States attempted to use his political power to coerce a foreign leader to harass and discredit one of the president’s political opponents. That is not only a violation of the Constitution; more importantly, it is profoundly immoral.”

My response: Weeks of the most partisan, rigged proceedings imaginable produced no evidence that Trump did that, beyond second- and third-hand hearsay.  All of the principals (including the Ukrainian President Trump was allegedly pressuring) denied it. None of the alleged “witnesses” actually witnessed anything.  The one person who claimed it was definitely true (and who turned out to be the poisoned well that was the source of all the other hearsay) folded like a garage sale card table under questioning, admitting that the one time he talked to Trump, Trump said the exact opposite and denied that he wanted any quid pro quo.

By claiming that the “facts are unambiguous” that Trump is guilty, Christianity Today is plainly lying to its readers. I find that to be profoundly immoral. Maybe they should drop the politics and get back to reading the Bible. If so, they might stumble across a line in Exodus that most of us know as the Eighth Commandment:

"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor."

• Ronda Wells

12/23/2019 05:52 AM

Right on the nose, Governor! I felt the CT content was moving left the last few months. Canceled my subscription ASAP after I read the editorial. Sad.

• Margaret Henson

12/23/2019 05:31 AM

It is a sad day when a magazine dubbed Christianity Today can speak and write such lies and mislead so many people. Also, it is a shame to see a lovely magazine that had its beginning by a true "Man of God", Reverend Billy Graham that encouraged so many of us to be Christ followers. We truly see the "devil" at work in this forked-tongued man and I pray for conviction upon him that won't let up until he repents of his lies and misleading people down the wrong path.

• Jeanetta Palmer

12/23/2019 05:16 AM

I stand with Franklin Graham. A lot of Christian organizations are not following the word of God or reading their Bibles.

• Bob Bartlett

12/23/2019 04:58 AM

Christianity Today needs to dump these two and print a PUBLIC RETRACTION and STATE TOTAL SUPPORT FOR PRESIDENT DONALD J TRUMP IMMEDIATELY!

• Jane Bailey

12/23/2019 03:32 AM

Well stated Governor!!! It is disgusting that the so called evidence was nothing but their hatred Of President Trump is so profound that they voted to Impeach a dully elected president anyway!! It’s a stomach turner!! God Bless you and your family!!

• Sarah S Manke

12/23/2019 02:13 AM

It's been 30 + years since I attended an Evangelical conservative Christian Seminary & nearly that long since my last subscription to "Christianity Today." It breaks my heart to see, even that many years ago, the direction "Christianity Today" was taking. "If My people (or a magazine or any that follow God's Word) who are called by My name (Christ-ianity=Christ follower) will humble themselves and pray, seek My face and turn from their wicked ways...." (my 'version' in parenthesis)....well, the call to repent is obvious. Thankful that Franklin Graham continues to stand for the Truth, and makes his position public, rebuking and correcting as God's Word tells us.

• William and Doris Huston

12/23/2019 01:53 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you for letting us know about Franklin Graham's rebuttal and for you fine piece as well. We were very angry at Christianity Today for that piece of poisonous gossip. We subscribed to it for years to keep up with current Evangelical trends, but cancelled a few years ago when we noticed something was changing and it was suspiciously not in line with Christian doctrine. Now we know we were right to do so. We hope more of their subscribers leave them.

• Karen Hebert

12/23/2019 12:54 AM

Thank you governor, for taking a stand against Christianity Today. To publish such a negative article without truthful facts is not representative of faithful Christians.

• Pamela Mitchell

12/22/2019 11:54 PM

Unlike the Democrats who have led this shameful sham against President Trump, Gov. Huckabee speaks truth! And, Franklin Graham, son of Billy Graham, would know BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE, how his father felt about President Trump. The person who wrote this editorial, as well as, his superior, should be fired for bearing false witness. An excellent response, Gov. Huckabee!

• Susie Norris

12/22/2019 11:52 PM

Hear, hear, Govenor! My thoughts exactly. I also wondered why that editor a follower of the Prince of Peace did not use the space to show us how to reconcile with friends and relatives separated by this political bitterness instead of urging it on with such a divisive editorial.

• Helen Corey

12/22/2019 11:43 PM

I’m a conflicted Catholic. The Pope, leader of Catholic Church, advocates caring for people fleeing from their countries. I would be okay with that idea (think Good Samaritan) if I could voluntarily donate for these immigrants’ care. I do not agree with immigrants coming here putting financial burden on me with giving them perpetual free healthcare, increasing costs of school systems because they do not want to learn English to assimilate, putting them on government public aid, allowing them to vote. Why doesn’t the Pope challenge the countries undocumented immigrants come from to take care of their own, to stop drug lords from exporting their evil drugs and criminals to US. Pope came from South America. He ministered to the poor. He knows of the crime and drugs being exported to US. Being a “Good Samaritan” is good, unless you endanger your family or yourself doing it.

• Joseph Santos

12/22/2019 11:10 PM

People say in Brazil that the Soros group invested in this magazine, they accepted because they were / they are on the verge to close doors.....

• Alton Garrison

12/22/2019 11:07 PM

Well said Governor. Totally agree with you.

• lloyd sanders

12/22/2019 10:23 PM

Re: Comment from Sheryl.

I am glad you elaborated on this. I had read this elsewhere and smelled a rat in the sack. Elated that Franklin had a rebuttel. Chritianity Today has found its way onto my Fake News do not read publications. Ugh!

Lloyd Sanders

• LouiseCA

12/22/2019 09:43 PM

Amen, Amen Mike. When the story first broke, I was shocked....for about ten minutes. Until I read the blog by the great Mario Murillo, who succinctly put it all into perspective. He laid out all the things and people that CT has been supporting over the past several years and told his readers basically to ignore it and realize the mag has been heading left for many years. In the 90's, they published a piece to the effect that prayer is useful simply because it makes us, "feel better". Me thinks the editors at CT can be found in Revelation where Jesus warns the lukewarm "Christians" that He will spew them out of His mouth. Not only that, they are sewing discord among the brethren, and making people of weak faith stumble. I read posts by a few Christians who stated that this was enough to end their support of Trump. These people will not be able to stand when things really get rough in this country against Christians, as they appear headed to be. With the first wind of adversity, they are ready to fold and vote for a democrat? That is scary. The first thing to remember, as you said, is when the msm start drooling over some Christian speaker, writer, or church, all we have to do is give it about 30 minutes maximum, and we will find out why. Invariably, it is a person or entity who has been compromising and leaning left for years and desperately attempting to get cozy with liberal elitists. Some of us expect Mr. Galli to show up on one of the liberal "news" channels as their chief "religious advisor". And we are wondering if CT has already been purchased by a liberal publication. Nothing would surprise us.

• Jon swenson

12/22/2019 09:37 PM

Agree with you Mike

• Carol Havemann

12/22/2019 09:25 PM

I SUPPORT OUR PRESIDENT!
    He supports LIFE!!!

• Katherine Medlin

12/22/2019 08:57 PM

when did the Editor believe he was the final word on Trump? Who made him the one to give judgment call especially when he did not weigh all that President Trump has done to protect our 2nd amendment rights, our freedom of speech and our religious freedom among many more things. Sadly he has been not discerning the spirit he has been listening to. I forgive him for being the vessel to fuel Trump haters as the declare,”see see even the evangelicals believe he should have been impeached!” I emailed the Editor to let him know he did not represent me nor million other evangelicals in his judgment call against our President. All Christianity Today did thru that article is add fuel to the fire of division. Shame on them!

• Carolyn Hanover

12/22/2019 08:53 PM

Lord, give “repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ” to all who support impeachment! Remove now from office all government and religious officials who support impeachment! Give Trump and all his staff and all the military more wisdom and more protection than all leaders of history combined!

• Sharon Buck

12/22/2019 08:41 PM

I agree. I was shocked that CT would write such an editorial.

• Linda Bair

12/22/2019 08:37 PM

My husband & I are Christian's who are thankful to God for President Trump. God uses those we least expect to fulfill His plan. We support him & will vote for him in 2020 !!

• roxie clark

12/22/2019 08:29 PM

Thank you for correcting this false information coming from the mouth of "Christianity Today". I used to subscribe to the magazine but for the last several years chose not to and subscribe to another Christian magazine instead. Thanks for informing us so we can all make wiser decisions such on matters such as this.

• Robert Meldrim

12/22/2019 08:12 PM

Thank you Franklin Graham for defending our President and exposing liberal lies, even when they come from “Christians.”

• Neal Matthews

12/22/2019 07:49 PM

Below is the email that I sent to Mark Galli:

So what would happen if millions upon millions of dollars were spent to look into every orifice of the life of Mark and Barbara Galli? I imagine much sin would be found. Then we should call for your Impeachment as editor in chief of Christianity Today. If the walls could talk on Sawyer Avenue what would they tell us? Headlines say that Christianity Today has called for the resignation of our wonderful President Trump. Mark, you are the primary person responsible for content in the magazine. What you say and what you write does not represent the majority in employment at the magazine. And certainly your words against President Trump do not represent the vast majority of Christians in America. Thank God in heaven your circulation is as small as it is. Not only should you have not written this article representing the opinion of the rest of us Christians, but I have great doubt that anything you said was led by the Holy Spirit. God help us all to pray for our leaders.

• Brenda Nale

12/22/2019 07:49 PM

Thank you so much for both your comments on CT article and the response on your newsletter. I am weary of this drama amongst Christians and I resented the article by CT suggesting that we as Christians loose our witness if we support trump. It makes me wonder if they think we keep our witness by supporting Hillary or Buttigieg or any other imperfect person. Appreciate so much your take on issues because I feel sometimes it is so very hard to discern truth in politics - especially for the average person.

December 21, 2019

"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor."

• Ronda Wells

• Helen Corey

12/22/2019 11:43 PM

• Joseph Santos

12/22/2019 11:10 PM

• Alton Garrison

12/22/2019 11:07 PM

Well said Governor. Totally agree with you.

• lloyd sanders

• Katherine Medlin

12/22/2019 08:57 PM

• Carolyn Hanover

12/22/2019 08:53 PM

• Sharon Buck

12/22/2019 08:41 PM

I agree. I was shocked that CT would write such an editorial.

• Linda Bair