Alabama GOP Senate candidate Roy Moore is coming under increasing pressure from fellow Republicans to drop out of the race after a Washington Post piece accused him of engaging in sexual misconduct with a then-14-year-old girl, 38 years ago when he was 32. A number of Republican Senators have withdrawn their endorsements and the National Republican Senatorial Committee severed its fundraising ties with Moore’s campaign.

The first poll taken since the story broke shows Moore slipping behind Democrat Doug Jones. That could just be a momentary blip that could reverse itself as voters hear Moore’s side or learn more about the accuser. But the idea of losing such a safe seat is already panicking Republican leaders who are floating drastic scenarios for delaying the race or launching a write-in campaign for incumbent Luther Strange, who lost the primary to Moore.

On the other hand, many Moore supporters in Alabama are not only standing by him, but increasing their donations. They say they have known Moore for decades and are suspicious that this charge has never come up in any of his previous races, but only surfaced in the Washington Post, which endorsed his Democratic opponent, once it was too late to change the ballot. They see it as an attempt by a liberal paper in Washington to pick Alabama's Senator.

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT. I READ THEM!

• Michael Egbert

11/13/2017 01:55 PM

Since this allegedly occurred so many years ago, why is it only NOW that its come to light and (accidently on purpose?) just in time for his run for a U.S. Senate position? Seems like this would have been more damaging while he was a judge...hmmmmm...it do seem strange

• Shirley Jo Baker

11/13/2017 01:52 PM

Mike.....i have a very difficult time aceepting anything from the media these days...especially considering the political affiliations of his accusers and the timing of the allegations. I always believed that innocent till proven guilty was a universally accepted American fundamental. Not always fair but ultimately best for the common good. What is happening to our basic rights and freedoms. Since we don't have facts how can conclusions be drawn? Seems our politicians have normalized that deviation.

• Ed fierro

11/13/2017 01:37 PM

Moore is in a tough spot. If he steps down he is admitting guilt, if he stays in he opens himself up to losing the race. Personally, if he is guilty he should get out as soon as possible but if he's innocent he should sue his accusers for defamation of character and whatever else a good lawyer could think of - get out in front of this thing as soon as possible. To not fight back in the courts gives them the edge. Being tried in the court of the media and public opinion is a guaranteed lose every time. where is the proof? Mere allegations do not prove anything. We do not use Napoleonic Law in this country - THEY have to prove their charges because he must be presumed innocent until proven otherwise.

• Kathy Barnes

11/13/2017 01:26 PM

I smell a rat. Judge Roy Moore has been in public office for many years. It seems to me if Moore had been acting inappropriately it would have come out a long time ago, not one month before the election. I hope and pray the Alabama people and see past these lies and vote for him anyway.

• Renee Tindall

11/13/2017 01:21 PM

What has happened to due process and the proof that this man committed this atrocity. I know nothing about him but I am a firm believer in the legal system. As far as I know no one have provided proof. Also this woman had many years to come forward. I read she did not come forward that the media came to her. Really? Then tell me how they knew what supposedly happened to this woman. Sounds fishy to me.

• Marcia Standifer

11/13/2017 01:20 PM

Hmmm- lets see -- 38 years ago, in 1979 Alabama, it may have been much less uncommon for an older man to date a 17 year-old. Or even a 14-year-old, especially if the mother trusted the gentleman who asked her out, he was a local war hero, etc. And just dating a younger woman, maybe kissing once or twice, is not perverted behavior!
    And since we're talking honesty regarding those scenarios, who's to say the 14-at-the-time accuser didn't lie herself, at the time, and tell Moore she was 18? That happens a lot, and has scarred many men of integrity for life.
    More likely, however, this accuser and others are lying now - many Dems have deep pockets and so does Soros - need to see if any payments are being made to these women.
    I agree with the comment about throwing stones - IMHO, unless there is more proof than just hearsay, those who would remove support from Moore are no better than those who are now coming forward to accuse him!

• Shirley Jo Baker

11/13/2017 01:13 PM

Washington politics do not work in Alabama. We stand by Roy Moore!

• Richard Sessions

11/13/2017 01:10 PM

Anyone who can't see thru this fiasco is either blind or just simply an enemy of Roy Moore! This man has been under investigation by the left over and over again, and there was never even a HINT of sexual misconduct, much less an allegation! NOW...at a time chosen by his enemies they come up with this nonsense!
    And to the GOP senators who are refusing to stand with him....SHAME ON YOU! Given the current trend of events, YOU will more than likely be alledged to have behaved in a manner consistent with sexual harassment in the near future! The left sees the current atmosphere as a political opportunity and will use it against every opponent they possibly can, even as they try to shield their own party members who are guilty of the same!
    These allegations can neither be proven nor disproven and therefore are insidious!

• Holly

11/13/2017 01:04 PM

I believe mr.moore is innocent my first concern with this story why now?why not before when re ran for other offices they are all scared because he won't be bullied and believes in true values I will be voting for him

• [email protected]

11/13/2017 12:15 PM

How petty things have become! Who can “cast a stone?” I believe Mr. Moore is innocent. Wake up America, the hounds are after anyone backing President Trump and his agenda. They do not want America be successful in anything during the Trump presidency. Take a stand, do what you know is good and right. Back him wholeheartedly and defeat the enemy every time they raise their evil heads!!

• Lucy Hooker

11/13/2017 12:06 PM

I left a comment yesterday but there were so many, it may have been part of the haystack. I think that the WaPo article, which I read, reminds me of everything I learned when I read The Smear. It hit all the points made in that book. The article began with a salacious retelling of an alleged illegal relationship with a 14 year old and then enmeshed it in the article with perfectly legal relationships where the female was of legal age and he had asked their mothers for permission to ask them out. On which dates nothing happened, but a hug or a kiss, certainly nothing inappropriate. It bears observing that my aunt , having come from Gadsden, Ala. expected a gentleman to request her mother’s permission to date her even though she was of age. She also expected that for her daughter. In the South that was the way it was done. Additionally, young ladies married younger at that time in Alabama. If Judge Moore had been in the service and then gone to law school, he would have been older and there would not have been many older single women to date. He didn’t act inappropriately with them, which should have been the point. The slur was already made though. It was also telling that the co author has written hot checks, not much of a recommendation of good character. The alleged 14 year old has a less than admirable background with multiple divorces and bankruptcy as well as having been accused of having attempted to get money from pastors. If that is true, I don’t know. However, none of the information about her sounds good to me. I find it appalling that Sen. McCain who has had allegations against him during his first marriage and in his recent bid for the presidency would be so quick to demand Judge Moore step down. I also find it strange that Romney who also faced harsh accusations during his presidential bid would be so quick to pass judgement. The issue is, in my opinion, that Judge Moore is willing to vote for a wall and Trump’s agenda. McConnell, McCain, Ryan, Romney, and the other establishment Republicans are not. I hope Judge Moore does not give up. I’m praying that the truth will be made known. I don’t think that Judge Moore will be the guilty party when it is. We will have to see. I think the guilt will be found to be with a ‘hit piece’ by the swamp and maybe Soros funded groups.

• becky

11/13/2017 11:58 AM

it is a spiritual battle

• Janice Small

11/13/2017 11:38 AM

Gov Huckabee, Our country is a Biblical Sodom. I fir one don't think Judge Moore is guilty. Why would anyone take so many years (since he's been in the public eye forever) to come out with these allegations. And so close to the election. I believe the opposition uses this tactic, smut, in every instance. Also i continue to be embarrassed by the Republican Party who is so quick to run and distance themselves at ANY suggestion of wrong doing. What's happened to our governing body?
    As for "We the People", we are tge forgotten ones as Democrats ans Republicans just work for their own political agenda. President Trump is working tirelessly for us, only to be beaten uo everyday by the media, politicians and ignorant people. Only God can fix this mess, hopefully He won't loose patience with us as He did with Sodom.
    Bless you Mike,
    Jan Small
    Phoenix, Az.

• Shirlene Montgomery

11/13/2017 11:37 AM

I believe the liberals and establishment Republicans are in cahoots. Unfortunately for them, the patriots in Alabama know this is all a bunch of made up crap. Judge Moore will be the next Senator from Alabama.

• Esther Sidat

11/13/2017 11:36 AM

Who believes the polls any more? They've often been wrong. A charge of sexual misconduct 38 years later is absolutely preposterous!

• Carleen Ellis

11/13/2017 11:31 AM

Where is the First Lady?

• Beatrice Vajgart

11/13/2017 11:27 AM

I have followed the news about Judge Roy Moore for many years and have always been impressed with his continued support of all things moral. He is not like any other politician who would compromise his Godly beliefs. I am disappointed that so many are not supporting him because of his great record in politics. I do not discredit him for having lost his job twice - the truth being more important than his job. God's laws trump the law of man, especially when they (the liberals) try to push their liberal and ungodly beliefs down our throats - like same sex marriage, transgender bathrooms, etc. McConnell. Karl Rove, and the Chamber of Commerce spent millions against Moore because they don't want to lose their power. Now, McConnell, especially, is doing every hateful thing he can think of to keep him out of the senate. This whole thing is nothing more than a hit-job. They did it to Trump and will do it to anyone who has godly views.

• Charl Stevenson

11/13/2017 11:01 AM

This site has become my first choice daily as an honorable and correct news source. You have found your place in the political arena and fill it well - conservatively, and accurately. It’s a rare thing today!

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT. I READ THEM!

• Michael Egbert

11/13/2017 01:55 PM

• Shirley Jo Baker

11/13/2017 01:52 PM

• Ed fierro

11/13/2017 01:37 PM

• Kathy Barnes

11/13/2017 01:26 PM

• Renee Tindall

11/13/2017 01:21 PM

• Marcia Standifer

11/13/2017 01:20 PM

• Shirley Jo Baker

11/13/2017 01:13 PM

Washington politics do not work in Alabama. We stand by Roy Moore!

• Richard Sessions

11/13/2017 11:31 AM

Where is the First Lady?

• Beatrice Vajgart

11/13/2017 11:27 AM

• Charl Stevenson

11/13/2017 11:01 AM

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT. I READ THEM!

• Michael Egbert

11/13/2017 01:55 PM

• Shirley Jo Baker

11/13/2017 01:52 PM

• Ed fierro

11/13/2017 01:37 PM

• Kathy Barnes

11/13/2017 01:26 PM

• Renee Tindall

11/13/2017 01:21 PM

• Marcia Standifer

11/13/2017 01:20 PM

• Shirley Jo Baker

11/13/2017 01:13 PM

Washington politics do not work in Alabama. We stand by Roy Moore!

• Richard Sessions