January 24, 2018

The Barna Group just released a new study of Generation Z (current teenagers) that found they are the least-Christian generation in US history. Nearly twice as many claim to be atheists as Millennials (13% to 7%), and 35% of current teens say they are either atheist, agnostic or unaffiliated with any religion. Just 59% say they are Catholic or Christian (a six-point drop from the Millennial generation), and only 4% hold what is considered a true Biblical worldview.

The survey places the cause of this change on today’s teenagers having been brought up in a post-Christian, post-modern environment where they’ve never been exposed to Christianity or church. I would have guessed from looking at the results that their parents allowed pop culture to replace traditional Christian values as the #1 influence in their kids’ lives, and it’s showing up in other harmful ways as well.

For instance, they’ve been brainwashed by pop culture to think that if you believe in science, it means you have to reject religious belief. In fact, you can easily find those things compatible (many of history’s greatest scientists were religious believers). Many recent scientific discoveries, from the vastness of space to archeological finds to life inside the womb, have actually provided more evidence for those who believe in the Bible and the sanctity of life.

Yet, at the same time, pop culture that preaches atheism and the pronouncements of politically-biased scientists as unquestionable fact (and in self-serving bumper sticker parlance, that “facts have a liberal bias”) has obviously left this generation extremely confused. One out of eight current teens claims to identify as non-heterosexual, an unlikely leap in one generation; and 30% claim to know someone who has changed their “gender identity.” That could only be attributable to pop culture promoting the recent notion of “gender fluidity,” which is politically-motivated quackery disguised as science, taking precedence over biology.

Unlike Generation Z, I’m old enough to remember just a few years ago, when the gay rights movement dismissed as nonsense the idea that a person’s sexuality could be changed by outside influences such as peer pressure. To suggest that someone wasn’t “born that way” was homophobic. Now it’s homophobic to suggest that you can’t change not only your sexual proclivities but even your gender just by thinking it. I thought science that supported leftist viewpoints was all “settled”?

If you had to sum up the results of this survey in one sentence, it would be that it’s shocking how far off course children can drift when their parents simply cut them loose.

• Elaine

01/24/2018 02:16 PM

I completely agree with this article. Although my 2 nieces go to church every Sunday one of them doesn't seem to want to. She plays tons of video games, and loves Manga books. She says many things about God not existing because she can't physically see Him. I know kids question things, but her disinterest in religion and God goes a bit further I think. Many of her friends don't believe in God, and I guess this is a trend that unfortunately todays kids want to be a part of.

• LORI ANN REGO

01/24/2018 02:11 PM

HI GOV. HUCKABEE I'M SO GLAD THAT YOU SHARED THE ARTICLE ABOUT ROSIE THE RIVETER. I'VE ALWAYS WONDERED IF THERE WAS SUCH A PERSON. IT'S TO BAD SHE HAD TO WAIT TILL 95 TO GET HER CELEBRITY STATUS. AT LEAST IT HAPPENED WHILE SHE WAS STILL ALIVE. I'M HOPING THAT NEIL DIAMON WILL HAVE MILD PARKINSON'S AND HE WON'T HAVE TO SUFFER. I DO AGREE WITH YOU I HOPE THE FANS WILL PRAY FOR HIM. I'VE BEEN A FAN OF HIS SINCE I WAS 6 YEARS OLD. I HAVE ENJOYED HIS MUSIC 49 YEARS

January 24, 2018