June 6, 2019

Sean Hannity presented an update Wednesday on the homeless problem in major cities with far-left leadership, featuring Los Angeles this time, and I returned to the show to talk further about it along with fellow FOX News contributor Emily Compagno. The response to my newsletter commentary from a few days ago about the leftist “plague” has been huge, and the topic is just too important to drop.

Wednesday’s segment started with a man-on-the-street interview montage with FOX News reporter Lawrence Jones asking LA residents what they thought about the problem. Most of them blamed the mayor –- who “makes a lot of promises” –- and city government for not handling the problem, which obviously stems mostly from mental health and drug issues. One woman who might be assumed from her T-shirt to be an advocate for the homeless said there were about 30,000 (!) nearby in a small area of “Skid Row.”

Jones included shocking video evidence of the extent of the problem in downtown LA --- block after block of sidewalks made completely impassable by filthy, rat-infested, ramshackle tents. Not that anyone would want to set foot on these sidewalks. Never mind the risk of assault or a needle stick; just the smell would knock you down, and trust me, you do not want to be down there.

California has a 13-1/2 percent state income tax. Along with New York --- NYC also has a serious homeless problem --- they have the highest tax rates in the country. This should tell us that leftists are wrong to think money and lots of it is the answer to social problems. As I told Sean, the truth is that we have an industry of poverty in this country. Most people would probably be surprised to learn that the typical “poverty” program spends about $18,000 or more per person in a year –- it works out to over $73,000 for a family of four. Campagno said that Seattle spends an incredible $100,000 per year for each homeless person in the city, adding up to a billion dollars a year. In Los Angeles alone, the homeless population is up 16 percent from last year, 75 percent from six years ago. Spending just keeps climbing; they recently voted to spend $4.5 billion to build houses for homeless people.

Obviously, if a city like Seattle is spending $100,000 a year for each homeless person, the money is not being used to benefit that person. As is typical of any government bureaucracy, the money doesn’t get to the people who need help. It’s going to people who are making a great living off the poverty of others. This has been going on since President Lyndon Johnson’s War On Poverty; they used to call them “poverty pimps.” That’s how “progressivism” works --- it’s all about making those on the left feel compassionate when they aren’t actually solving the underlying problems. They’re just enablers. They’re not meeting the basic needs of the people who are hurting the most, to help lift them out of their situations.

The focus on short-term solutions means that billions of dollars are just down the proverbial rathole. (I thought “rathole” was a really appropriate word in this context.) The debt these cities are accruing is phenomenal, and their tax base shrinks as middle class residents, priced out, understandably flee to more competently run places.

Hey, Nancy Pelosi is great at raising money, so why doesn’t she do something? As I told Sean, she’s raising it, all right, but for the most important thing: electing Democrats, who will vote to spend even more tax money on those short-term solutions that don’t solve anything.

Some blocks in Los Angeles, San Francisco and Seattle look worse than places in Afghanistan. We don’t need to look any farther than this to see what happens when far-left people control the government. It’s a disaster, a disgrace, a human tragedy.

When you combine this with the observable results of toothless immigration laws and an open border, it’s impossible to deny that leftism is actually reinforcing poverty, drug addiction and contagious disease. While leftists scream about a manufactured border crisis, U.S. Customs and Border Protection is now saying we have a “full blown emergency” at the southern border. While leftists scream about impeachment and debate which bathrooms and pronouns to use, the REAL problems just get worse.

The numbers are alarming. For May, we had the biggest monthly number of apprehensions at our border in 13 years. It’s the third consecutive month that border detentions topped 100,000 in one month. There is no more room in our detention facilities. As CBP’s chief operating officer John Sanders said on FOX News, “We re in a full blown emergency, and I cannot say this any stronger, the system is broken...this ongoing crisis has placed a a tremendous strain on our resources and operational effectiveness. To address these unprecedented numbers of family units and unaccompanied children, up to 60 percent of our agents are being pulled away from law enforcement operations.”

Even a former CBP commissioner under Obama, Gil Kerlikowske, said on FOX News that it’s a mistake not to admit that the numbers reflect both a humanitarian crisis and a logistical crisis at the border. It’s something that has to be dealt with, he said.

I would add that it’s also a danger to national security. Only a confirmed, Trump-hating leftist would believe this mess is simply “manufactured.” Congress needs to pass legislation to change the rules at the border, especially the asylum law, and they’ve got to appropriate needed funds, but the left is never going to do anything about this. When they do acknowledge a problem, they, unbelievably, blame Trump for it, and still do nothing. Joe Biden, noted plagiarist, woman-squeezer and Presidential candidate, is telling voters that “this is a crisis created by Trump.” Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, whom I understand is a congresswoman, is going around saying we need to simply abolish ICE. So why should it be a surprise that leftists can’t deal with the homeless problem, either?

As we’re now seeing on the streets of major cities AND at our border, problems eventually reach a tipping point. This is why Trump was elected President, to actually DO something that will work. Yet leftists continue blocking him, mostly through the liberal courts but also by dividing his attention with bogus investigations and threats of impeachment. It’s 100 percent politics, while people suffer and once-great cities decline. Leftism really is a plague, and it’s going to take some strong medicine to stop the destruction.

Speaking of plague, regarding it and the other contagious diseases that I wrote about in Part I of my commentary, Tammy Bruce, a frequent FOX News guest and president of Independent Women’s Voice, is speaking out about this health crisis and addressing it on the organization’s website, linked to below. As I said, typhus is moving through Los Angeles, even affecting the police department. In addition, there have been about 1,000 reported cases so far of red measles, which can be very serious, even deadly. The CDC has warned about tuberculosis. They’re not screening people at the border for communicable diseases, even though some come from ebola-ravaged nations. From South America, there’s the threat of Zika, the disease that causes microencephaly (small head syndrome) in newborns. Unless someone is coming across legally on a migrant visa, there is no requirement for proof of vaccination. You’ll find much more information about this at the IWV website.

This problem is going to take some tough action, and soon. Independent Women’s Voice has launched a petition at IWV.org to tell the White House we must redouble the effort for border security and also require proof of vaccination for anyone coming in. Remember, this is about EVERY family, EVERY human being who could possibly be affected down the road. I hope you’ll go to their website and sign the petition.

RELATED READING:  The "plague" of leftism is evident in our filthy cities

No Censure for Maxine

Paul Rossi Is Fired

A Look Back At Earth Day Predictions

The Details: Mike Lindell Sues Dominion For $1.6 Billion

• Paticio amenabar

06/06/2019 01:39 PM

People must understand that Demo-rats have become an evil cult. They have manipulated the ignorant and vulnerable crowd to believe that ochlocracy is democracy. Power is more important that country to them.

• hank sims

06/06/2019 01:11 PM

When will you ever address the need for and benefits of Term Limits for Congress?

• Karen Mickow

06/06/2019 01:09 PM

Governor Huckabee ,
    I am so tired of the left
    Liberal Agenda it is holding our Country Hostage . I am a retired Chicago Police Officer
    We have many illegal immigrants here . My daughter is married to a Chicago Firefighter. They must Live in Chicago . She has 5 children & she will be joining the Chicago Police Department in August. I stay in Chicago because I have 10
    Grandchildren here . I have a son in Texas , his wife & I have a granddaughter there.
    I Pray for President Trump,
    The USA & all of my Family every day . I also worry , Then
    it is back to ??????. Thank You , Your Beautiful Daughter
    Sarah Sanders for all you do.
    God Bless Your Entire Family.
    Sincerely
    Ms. Karen Mickow

• Jane Crick

06/06/2019 01:05 PM

I also think that all of this should not be dumped in the Federal Governments lap. The Governors of these states need to take personal responsibility to clean up their messes!

• Kendra Strecker

06/06/2019 12:53 PM

Each and EVERY one of these states where the homeless are a problem have empty property, put the homeless there. Make it safe, BUT NOT COMFY, have them SURRENDER the dogs and cats that aren't being properly cared for anyway. Put up PORTA POTTIES, no flush toilets that can be clogged. Bus them to and from the grocery NO stopping for DRUGS AND ALCOHOL and NO BUMMING ON THE STREETS!! Up at 7 a.m. shut the gates at 9 p.m.
    FIRST AND FOREMOST, STOP LEGALIZING THE DAMNED DRUGS!!

• Marshall Suttles

06/06/2019 12:34 PM

America needs an old fashioned revival, confessing our sins and turning back to our Spirit Father. The one and only true and living God, Jehovah! Nancy, Chuckie, Trump, AOC or any other human being cannot solve the problems we face!

Those of us who keep up with current events just get sick when we see the L.A., N.Y., Seattle and many other places where Godless, Leftist political hypocrites rob us with taxes only to feather their own nest, while those in need are ignored.
    We all need to ask ourselves WWJD (What Would Jesus Do)? The revival I mentioned can start with each one of us when we give a cup of cold water in Jesus name and take the time to explain "Who Jesus Is" to those in great spiritual and physical need. What will we get out of it? "Even a cup of cold water given in Jesus's name will in no wise lose it's reward"

• JOE

06/06/2019 12:28 PM

WE NEED TO SHOW AMERICA HOW BAD THESE CITIES HAVE BECOME. HOW ABOUT SENDING CAMERAS INTO THESE AREAS AND SHOWING IT ON TELEVISION?
    I BELIEVE THE DEMOCRATS WHO RUN THESE CITIES WILL NOT LIKE THE EXPOSURE.
    THIS COULD BE A RUNNING SEGMENT ON EVERY CONSERVATIVE NEWS SHOW NIGHT AFTER NIGHT.

• nascarccmgrlfan

06/06/2019 12:04 PM

People think I'm part of the problem, because I'm 29, unless they know me well enough to know better or see my comments on places like this, IMO. I'm not enrolled in a party and more right than left, but people don't know I'm anything like that unless they know about race fan me or my Sunday School attendance. Maybe it's because I went to Sunday School, starting when I was almost 2 or that government class my high school made seniors take and maybe still has. There's just too many people my age that say they'd prefer socialism for people in older generations to not believe any unknown to be otherwise millennial is some AOC type/Berniecrat, in my mind anyway. I'm their worst nightmare, as a conservative independent, so I've read.

• Sandra Young

06/06/2019 12:02 PM

Why? No mention of the homeless catastrophe in Portland, Oregon. Up & down the West coast the homeless is mind boggling.

• Joyce Nease

06/06/2019 11:50 AM

There is a reason we used to enforce vagrancy laws . . . for the safety of neighborhoods. It is not unkind to expect self-responsibility from our fellow humans on this earth. I believe: The homeless should be fined for the messes around their living area. If they can't pay the fine, they should do community service to pay for someone else to clean it up. If they don't show up for community service, they should be arrested and put in jail. If they are on drugs, jail facility can help them with their addiction. If they are mentally ill, a jail facility can help them deal with that. If they are truly homeless because of circumstances beyond their control, they are the ones that would probably either clean up around them or show up for community service. None of the homeless are being held accountable for what they're doing!!! Humans need accountability!!

• Henrietta Weimer

06/06/2019 11:45 AM

Mike, until the American people stand up to the Democrats and let them know that they do not run our Country, it is not going to get any better, or until the Lord comes, whichever comes first. It is such a disgrace the way that things have gotten , but we did this to our selves, many years ago, when we voted to take prayer out of the schools, and let the atheist like Madlyn O'Hara take over our country. God help us if we as a country do not change our ways and bring God back in his place.

• Rosalie Gilliland

06/06/2019 11:17 AM

Governor, I was alarmed by your strong words in this article. But you couldn't be more right. California was a slice of Heaven when I moved here as a kid in 1972. But the overall decline since due to insane leftist policies is like something out of horror movie. For the first time I realized that most of my loved ones have already left the state for places with far less drama and costs. I've been resisting leaving my beloved California, with the hope that if enough of us stay and fight to bring back sanity, we can turn things around. But to be honest, at this point I believe that change will only happen if God intervenes, or the state completely implodes.

• penny ramsey

06/06/2019 11:06 AM

Afraid it is a contagious thing for the rest of our country. Denver and the metropolitan area around look much the same and our Democrat governor is taking us down the California path. Conservatives here need some emergency help before we are lost to the blue state. VERY SAD

• Dennis B. O'Neil

06/06/2019 10:56 AM

With regard to Homeless. I live in Colorado Springs where there is a growing problem. My suggestion is this. Find unused nearby land for the Homeless to use. Fence it in and maintain its safety. Bring all the homeless here off the streets to live in a safe, clean environment. Keep out drugs, dogs and alcohol. Provide barracks in which bunks are provided for sleeping, with clean restrooms with showers. Assign one guard per barracks to maintain safety. Maintain a tent area for those who have tents. Provide buildings for married couples to live in safely--not plush but safe. Provide space for outdoors people to cook and to have clean restrooms. Provide facilities for people to get needed medical care--just needed. In other words run it something like a KOA campground with the exception that guards will be needed to maintain safety. Finally, since the area will be somewhat out of town on otherwise unused land, maintain free shuttle transportation to and from the camp to town. After providing these facilities, we may outlaw all other encampments in town. If some homeless won't comply arrest them and remove them to another fenced in unit outside town near to the one described above. In this unit, the homeless will have to be kept safely but they won't be provided all the amenities of the place where 'legal" homeless live. There will be no free shuttles since they are to be kept here until their legal status has been determined.
    This will be expensive but we're already "paying" for the homeless via loss of the use of our streets by tax paying citizens.

• Janice Short

06/06/2019 10:55 AM

This past Sunday, Franklin sent out a request for Americans to pray for our President, Donald Trump. I am not a fanatic but I do believe in prayer & I believe the Lord Jesus Christ is the only answer to the problems facing the USA. There is too much hate in this country. Democrats, of which I used to be one, are so intent on their own agenda, that they refuse to work together with other government leaders to save America. President Trump is trying to save America. He is not perfect but he is who we need leading our country right now. God (not Allah) bless America!!

• sharon steinkuehler

06/06/2019 08:52 AM

it is so nasty in cal i am so greatful i do not live there ............. there has to be something done about all the home less people there we should be helping our own first we are americans not some foran country to help the illegals first

• T.A. Hebert

06/06/2019 08:43 AM

CLOSE THE BORDER!!!

• Anthony Infante

06/06/2019 08:35 AM

This Homeless Catastrophe in LA and SF and other places on the West Coast is going to lead to a health crisis where diseases which were associated with the past will run rampant and infect many there. We have to stop this now before it gets too large to control.

June 6, 2019

06/06/2019 01:09 PM

Governor Huckabee ,
    I am so tired of the left
    I Pray for President Trump,
    The USA & all of my Family every day . I also worry , Then
    it is back to ??????. Thank You , Your Beautiful Daughter
    Sarah Sanders for all you do.
    God Bless Your Entire Family.
    Sincerely
    Ms. Karen Mickow

• Jane Crick

06/06/2019 01:05 PM

• Kendra Strecker

06/06/2019 12:53 PM

FIRST AND FOREMOST, STOP LEGALIZING THE DAMNED DRUGS!!

• Marshall Suttles

06/06/2019 12:34 PM

• JOE

06/06/2019 12:28 PM

I BELIEVE THE DEMOCRATS WHO RUN THESE CITIES WILL NOT LIKE THE EXPOSURE.

• nascarccmgrlfan