November 17, 2019

I’m a follower of Jesus and though I am far from perfect on that path, I truly am grateful for the grace of God in my life.  I’ve also been in the political arena for almost 30 years and I get questioned or even challenged often about reconciling living in the kingdom of God with living in the rough, sometimes savage world of the kingdom of politics & government.  Sometimes, the questions are honest and simple, such as “how can you be a Christian and engage in something as mean and vicious as politics?”  And then there are the people who usually admit they aren’t even believers, but who blast me on social media platforms like Twitter and seek to shame me by saying something I’ve said or done “isn’t very Christian.”

Well, determining something to be Christian or not isn’t the responsibility of some Twitter troll who believes they rattle me by questioning the authenticity of my faith.  Sorry, Charlie, but you’re fishing in the Dead Sea!   God knows me inside and out and is uniquely qualified to rebuke me, correct me, or even discipline me.  The petty and often petulant grievances of some twit typing out his tantrums while sitting in his Snoopy pajamas in his Mama’s basement doesn’t disturb me.  God gets my attention.  The angry, irrational bile coming from someone hiding behind a juvenile “internet name” doesn’t cause me to curl up in a fetal position and meow like a house-cat set outside in the cold.

And for those who think Christians in politics shouldn’t fight back and should be sweet, smiling, and sugary, let me explain something.  If a Christian plays in the NFL, he hits people.  Hard.  He tackles, he blocks, he runs over people.  If he doesn’t, he won’t even start on a junior high team, much less make it to the NFL.  Because in the arena of football, it’s just a rough game.  If a Christian plays in the NBA, he will fight for every rebound, use his elbows to keep the ball, and run over people in the lane to get the shot, because in the arena of basketball, that’s how it’s played.

And in the game of politics, there are no prizes for 2nd place; everyone does NOT get a trophy, and you have to play hard and fight hard because the issues matter.  Sure, you play within the rules and you don’t cheat, lie, or hit below the belt.  But the football player unwilling to hit hard won’t be in the game long.  And the candidate who doesn’t fight for every inch of turf doesn’t belong in the game, because like it or not, that’s the arena in which we play.

One doesn’t have to be unnecessarily rough, mean, or vicious, but don’t play politics if you can’t stand to see your own blood, or can’t accept being hit from behind.  It’s a full contact sport played without pads.  Not for the faint of heart.  The Christian in the NFL or NBA plays hard and plays to win, but hopefully plays ethically.  The Christian in politics shouldn’t lie, steal, or cheat, but can’t pretend the game is without conflict and contact.

Taking a stand for the sanctity of life, for Biblical marriage, or for the treatment of the poor may take some tough tactics.  Doesn’t mean you aren’t a Christian if you play for keeps.  It means you aren’t much of a Christian if the outcome means so little to you that you’d rather be popular with your opponents than to win the issues.

But wasn’t Jesus nice?  Of course, but he also called his opponents snakes a vipers and even turned over tables in the Temple to protest exploitation of gullible people.  It’s okay to hate politics, but it’s not okay to pretend you’re in the game when you don’t have the courage to play to win.

• Thomas North

11/18/2019 08:06 PM

Right on!

• Angela Schmidt

11/18/2019 07:50 PM

Well said. Also I always enjoy reading your commentaries as you have away with words and we seem to always be on the same wave.

• Steven Peacock

11/18/2019 07:33 PM

Thank you for your Christian stand and hard work in keeping us informed! I appreciate it very much! Keep on keeping on!!

• Dina M Beattie

11/18/2019 07:23 PM

Thank you for being a light in the wilderness. I am currently horrified that Chick-Fil-A has cut
    funding to the Federation of Christian Athletes where my son works. I remember gathering up friends and family to support them when the Gay community called for picketing and a boycott a few years back. Now they say their contracts were "up" with SALVATION ARMY and FCA, so that makes it okay that they are deserting these long standing Christian groups. We need more than ever before, young people to go to the high schools and gather together Christian kids to be witnesses in their evil and secular environment. My girlfriends daughter in junior high school said it's "cool" to be bi-sexual now too. Lord God, please help us down here! We all need to pray for His light to shine on this darkness that is invading our country.

• Charles Colburn

11/18/2019 07:07 PM

This was good for me to hear. Thank you For being in politics and walking with Jesus at the same time.

• Glenda Lagerstedt

11/18/2019 06:34 PM

Excellent article. You make several important points about Christianity, its place in politics and its attitudes and effects on the battlefield. I am glad that you also drew attention to Jesus' own strong reactions to evils such as those of the money changers in the temple. I believe Bill O'Reilly suggests that scene was played out more than once. And I would dare to wager that other scenes occurred that never made it to the pages of the Bible. Thank you for your honesty, insight and keeping it real.

• Juliana Vitko

11/18/2019 05:15 PM

Thank you for walking in the arena God has called you! I am also a believer and follower of Jesus Christ and like you I have a passion and bent towards politics! Evil prevails when good people do nothing! I will pray for the well-meaning Christians to bridle their tongues and listen more. And that their action would come from a heart overflowing from God’s love! In Jesus name, amen.

• Jay H Mohler

11/18/2019 04:32 PM

Excellent commentary Mike, I fully agree with you. If one differs from the ult left libs, well you're relegated to the presumed brain dead part of the country, the 95% who make this country run smoothly like a well oiled machine!!

• Janice Rue Glover

11/18/2019 03:50 PM

Thank you Mr. Huckabee for your Godly service in the politically realm. We need more men and women to take a Godly stand for our country. I pray every day for our President and Vice President and all of Congress. I even pray for those who are seemingly enemies of our freedom. God bless you and keep up the good job. Your encouragements on your show are tremendous.

• DeDe Ching

11/18/2019 03:43 PM

AMEN!

• Elaine Liming

11/18/2019 03:38 PM

I agree with you and thank God there are men and women in politics who feel called by their Savior to make the world better and to understand the meaning of using one's God given gifts to serve Country and neighbor. I am a Catholic and I get asked often" are Catholics Christians." When I taught in a Catholic High School, many of my students asked me the same question. It caused me to think where is this coming from? After a lesson in Church history, and a better look at the bible, my students came to realize and understand, one's religion has to be lived each day. Many Catholics serving in politics don't understand this truth. I was honest with my students and quoted Gandhi --he once said if all Christians lived out what they are taught, we would have a better world--the Beatitudes and the commandments were often quoted by him. I told my students that I was ashamed at what many Catholics in politics said and did and my prayer was that a merciful God would give them the opportunity to repent and start living their call to serve as Jesus did. My God continue to bless you Mike and those who help you with this newsletter.

• Mary K Hamm

11/18/2019 03:34 PM

Well said,praying for our President and out Country

• David Swantner

11/18/2019 03:20 PM

Anybody who doesn’t stand up for what they believe does not have the Spirit of Christ. Jesus stood up to the Jews, Romans and to anyone who challenged Him. Today liberals stand up for everything Jesus was against. So I challenge every Christian to stand up against them!

• Mark Mittelstaedt

11/18/2019 03:14 PM

Right on ! If you can't take the heat, stay in the fridge ;-}

• John Carter

11/18/2019 02:51 PM

Great segment! We are not moved by the dolts online; faith not shaken! Keep up the excellent commentary!

• Lesley swain

11/18/2019 02:50 PM

Mr. Mike, I've been absolutely amazed myself at the turn the 'established Bible/fundamental church' has taken these last few years. How did Christian doctrine get redefined as "you have a right to judge 'em bc its the end times and they need the warning!?" Its like that VERY famous pastor telling Beth Moore she has no right to be a preacher bc shes a woman! How do you study the Scriptures that many years (I used to follow him too) and not be able to interpret the facts of the Bible any better??? But that makes it easy to see why many think they have been anointed to the station of judge and jury when they hear it from the pulpit. Revelation is to those 7 once great churches who had lost their grip on the purity and GRACE of our Lord Jesus. NONE of us certainly deserves His love but the "Church" must believe in it and pass it on to our neighbor. Those are our marching orders! God BLESS everything you put your hand to, sir

• Robert Minton

11/18/2019 02:45 PM

AMEN BROTHER HUCKABEE

• Rock Hernandez

11/18/2019 02:04 PM

Ha Ha, brother, I love your humorous but truthful responses to both Christians and non-Christians alike! Yes, you are in the rough and tumble world of politics, BUT REMEMBER (AND I KNOW YOU DO ) YOU ARE IN THE WORLD, NOT OF IT and we are called to love others, even knuckleheads. Lord, bless and keep brother Mike and his family!

• Richard White

11/18/2019 01:59 PM

May God bless you and protect you Mike Huckabee.
    Keep speaking up for our Lord Jusus Christ.
    Your Brother in Christ
    Dick White

• Debbie Moskal

11/18/2019 01:58 PM

My response to this can be summed up in one word...AMEN. I just wanted to encourage you to keep on keeping on.

You were quoted by Coach Rick Barnes in his talk yesterday. I am thankful for both of you stepping up for the cause of Christ, being unflinching and making a difference!

• Jack Tucker

11/18/2019 01:28 PM

You say you don’t cheat, lie, or hit below the belt—that is because you are not a
    democrat. They will do anything to win. You would make a great president! Trump for 20/20!! Thanks for all of your e-mails.

• Shari J Banning

11/18/2019 01:24 PM

Jesus was fully man and fully God, a loving protector, but quick to
    challenge wrong in any form.

• Michele Elliott

11/18/2019 01:04 PM

Love this!! Well stated!! The fact that our country (& the world) is such an evil mess, I believe, is a direct result of loyal followers of Jesus failing to fight for Truth & Righteousness & allowing themselves to be deceived by the slow & subtle (but deadly) schemes of the devil (using decieved people)!!!

• rodney burke

11/18/2019 01:04 PM

well said Mike, and we do have to play to win. We have no choice. The devil plays to win...ALL the time. He is out ideological enemy and he MUST be defeated. I have heard that crap too from an ex-wife that devalues God, his word and his followers. I ignore it because I know the source. As Christians, we need to play the game, we have God and the founding fathers advocating for us. I would call that a win, win. Who do the hateocrats have ? Marx, Lenin and the devil. Nuff said

• Lori Morris

11/18/2019 12:53 PM

I don't know if you followed any of the Louisiana gubernatorial election events, but here's the one thing (well, one of many things) that I took away from it: On stage at a Trump 2020 rally held in Monroe, LA, to help bolster Eddie Rispone's bid for governor, President Trump introduced U.S. Congressman Ralph Abraham. Congressman Abraham had a close but unsuccessful bid for governor in the primary election. His Republican opponent, Eddie Rispone, even though he agreed to abide Reagan's Eleventh Commandment, slung mud, blatant lies and anything else he could think up at Congressman Abraham. Abraham fought back within the confines of The Eleventh Commandment, but would not allow his team to attack Rispone or his family on a personal level. Back to Trump's introduction-- when the President introduced Congressman Abraham he said, "Ralph is a good man; there's something different about this man. He took the high road and is willing to endorse Rispone for the betterment of the state. I don't think I could have done that for someone who went against me. Ralph is a better man than I." Congressman Abraham was able to spend a lot of one-on-one time with the President before the campaign and consequently was able to let the President see that he is willing to fight hard for what he believes in, but as a Christian, is not willing to compromise his integrity; perhaps that was the greater good that came from his lost bid for governor!!

November 17, 2019

11/18/2019 02:45 PM

AMEN BROTHER HUCKABEE

• Rock Hernandez

11/18/2019 02:04 PM

• Richard White

11/18/2019 01:59 PM

May God bless you and protect you Mike Huckabee.
    Keep speaking up for our Lord Jusus Christ.
    Your Brother in Christ
    Dick White

• Debbie Moskal

11/18/2019 01:58 PM

• Jack Tucker

11/18/2019 01:28 PM

• Shari J Banning

11/18/2019 01:24 PM

Jesus was fully man and fully God, a loving protector, but quick to
    challenge wrong in any form.

• Michele Elliott