November 17, 2019

I’m a follower of Jesus and though I am far from perfect on that path, I truly am grateful for the grace of God in my life.  I’ve also been in the political arena for almost 30 years and I get questioned or even challenged often about reconciling living in the kingdom of God with living in the rough, sometimes savage world of the kingdom of politics & government.  Sometimes, the questions are honest and simple, such as “how can you be a Christian and engage in something as mean and vicious as politics?”  And then there are the people who usually admit they aren’t even believers, but who blast me on social media platforms like Twitter and seek to shame me by saying something I’ve said or done “isn’t very Christian.”

Well, determining something to be Christian or not isn’t the responsibility of some Twitter troll who believes they rattle me by questioning the authenticity of my faith.  Sorry, Charlie, but you’re fishing in the Dead Sea!   God knows me inside and out and is uniquely qualified to rebuke me, correct me, or even discipline me.  The petty and often petulant grievances of some twit typing out his tantrums while sitting in his Snoopy pajamas in his Mama’s basement doesn’t disturb me.  God gets my attention.  The angry, irrational bile coming from someone hiding behind a juvenile “internet name” doesn’t cause me to curl up in a fetal position and meow like a house-cat set outside in the cold.

And for those who think Christians in politics shouldn’t fight back and should be sweet, smiling, and sugary, let me explain something.  If a Christian plays in the NFL, he hits people.  Hard.  He tackles, he blocks, he runs over people.  If he doesn’t, he won’t even start on a junior high team, much less make it to the NFL.  Because in the arena of football, it’s just a rough game.  If a Christian plays in the NBA, he will fight for every rebound, use his elbows to keep the ball, and run over people in the lane to get the shot, because in the arena of basketball, that’s how it’s played.

And in the game of politics, there are no prizes for 2nd place; everyone does NOT get a trophy, and you have to play hard and fight hard because the issues matter.  Sure, you play within the rules and you don’t cheat, lie, or hit below the belt.  But the football player unwilling to hit hard won’t be in the game long.  And the candidate who doesn’t fight for every inch of turf doesn’t belong in the game, because like it or not, that’s the arena in which we play.

One doesn’t have to be unnecessarily rough, mean, or vicious, but don’t play politics if you can’t stand to see your own blood, or can’t accept being hit from behind.  It’s a full contact sport played without pads.  Not for the faint of heart.  The Christian in the NFL or NBA plays hard and plays to win, but hopefully plays ethically.  The Christian in politics shouldn’t lie, steal, or cheat, but can’t pretend the game is without conflict and contact.

Taking a stand for the sanctity of life, for Biblical marriage, or for the treatment of the poor may take some tough tactics.  Doesn’t mean you aren’t a Christian if you play for keeps.  It means you aren’t much of a Christian if the outcome means so little to you that you’d rather be popular with your opponents than to win the issues.

But wasn’t Jesus nice?  Of course, but he also called his opponents snakes a vipers and even turned over tables in the Temple to protest exploitation of gullible people.  It’s okay to hate politics, but it’s not okay to pretend you’re in the game when you don’t have the courage to play to win.

• Judy Gode

11/18/2019 12:41 PM

Amen Gov Huckabee! I am a Christian, a proud Republican & I am on Twitter. Many times, I have been called out for something I said but I just smile ?, respond or just say "God Bless"! I have found that irritates people much more than fighting with them. Every single person has the right to their own opinions but many think they can change someone's way of thinking. I tell them "Go for it" but you won't change mine & you won't make me mad or irritated.
    Thank you for your continued work & for always declaring you are a Christian!
    Judy Gode, Arizona

• Bonnie Reynolds

11/18/2019 12:30 PM

Right on, Mike!

• Mary Gail Oscarson

11/18/2019 12:27 PM

Gods many blessings to you always.

• Leroy Chausse

11/18/2019 12:15 PM

Well said, and thank you for your stand on Christianity, Abortion, the LGBT movement ect.
    Governor, your's is a critical voice to those of us who believe in the Sovereignty of God!

• Shirley Dyess

11/18/2019 12:12 PM

Governor Huckabee, thank you for standing firm in your Christian beliefs. I agree with you 100%, in my 84 years I have never seen such hate,lies,or double standards. I read your news letter because I know you are truthful. Thank you again .

• Jan Rigotti

11/18/2019 12:11 PM

This is spot on. Thank you for your courage to write this and for your courage each and every day. Jesus also called the self righteous Pharisees hypocrites. We have a lot of those on both sides of the aisle but this is one category that the Dems are the victors by far. I can say that because I used to be a loud and proud liberal hypocrite until Jesus miraculously and mercifully saved me and opened my eyes to truth. I am thankful every day of my life for His salvation.

• Miguel Briseno

11/18/2019 12:09 PM

Perfectly well said, pastor Mike!! Your wisdom comes from above and it has no mistake in it at all.

• Kevin Cooper

11/18/2019 12:03 PM

Amen ,sir. I wholeheartedly agree with what you've stated here. Thank you for staying true to your faith and to the principals of our Republic.

• Emily R. Bath

11/18/2019 11:16 AM

Amen, Brother Mike!

• Donna Beckstein

11/18/2019 11:07 AM

Well said! Appreciate you!

• Norman Scott

11/18/2019 11:05 AM

Mike, I look to you for political wisdom and guidance and appreciate your world view coming from the scriptures. Christians fight a spiritual battle that we are to armor up for and resist the schemes of the devil!

• Donna Bogema

11/18/2019 10:54 AM

Well said Mike. I admit your sarcasm sometimes grated on me a bit, but I almost always agree with you and trust your analysis of what you are commenting on. Thank you for upholding Godly values in this “swampy” arena.

• Oscar Williams

11/18/2019 10:38 AM

HERE! HERE! "Christians" defeated the Muslim Fleet at Lepanto. Christians stormed the beaches on "D-Day". Christians prayed and asked God's guidance to develop the operational construct of The United States. Jesus was NOT a "nice guy"! Jesus was GOD, all Truth, all Love, all Justice and all Mercy. If one needed His healing, He HEALED because of His Love and Mercy. If an "elite" needed correction, Jesus corrected him, at times brutally....because Jesus is all Truth and Justice. To absent oneself from the duty of serving God and neighbor by REFUSING to VOTE, to DEBATE, to CAMPAIGN and to understand the "issues" is to violate the Two Great Commandments. God freed us from the imprisonment of sin. Washington and Madison and many others freed us from the tyranny of King George. It is our God-Given RIGHT to nurture and protect MORALITY where we CAN influence it. That "where" is right here in the U.S. And God expects us to USE that right....or we will lose it. And remember: We don't clean up a mess by walking away from it!

• Terri Rinke

11/18/2019 10:32 AM

I very much appreciate and the many other Christian's in politics, so thank you for your service. Without you we would have no voice. Keep up the good flight.

• Bobbie Porter

11/18/2019 10:14 AM

Well said!

• George & Dusty Reese

11/18/2019 10:08 AM

AMEN!
    THE LORD HAS THE FINAL SAY!
    GOD BLESS YOU FOR ALL YOU DO.

• Shelley Hoelz

11/18/2019 09:52 AM

Thank you! This topic has been one of discussion many times in my family. If Christians "act nice" as the evil ones want you to believe we are supposed to, then evil wins. We must stand up for Christian values, if we don't who will? No one! I only wish the churches wouldn't be afraid to have honest discussion and debate about the issues in politics. I am not saying they should endorse a candidate or tell people who to vote for. But there are serious issues in our country right now, and the churches refuse to discuss them in a civil manner, bringing in Christian values to support the Biblical view. We should discuss abortion, illegal immigration, welfare, taxes, responsibilities of parents, the role of government, why Israel matters to our future...the list goes on. Evil will do anything to win - including trying to shame people so they don't speak up. We must fight!

• Charles Bell

11/18/2019 09:51 AM

Preach on Brother.

• Diana Packard

11/18/2019 09:43 AM

Thank you Govenor Huckabee! This needed to be said clearly and concisely. I am frequently attacked for being a Christian in politics. I have actually stepped back because of the attacks. You words make me realize I need to stay in the game and fight with Christian values. Fight the good fight and remember that Jesus is with me.

• Sharon Mathews

11/18/2019 09:41 AM

Hi Gov
    How absolutely refreshing to read this today! It was like receiving a high 5 from on high! I’m very tactful in my media exchanges...but never compromised. It’s like the church is total milquetoast on this subject. The pulpit even preaches to stop any interaction regarding politics. I can’t help but think many..if not most Christians today, would be the ones waving palm leaves as Jesus entered Jerusalem on day and calling for His crucifixion the next. You either see truth or you don’t. And if you do see it...you fight for it’s safety.

• Ricky Jackson

11/18/2019 09:34 AM

Don't worry about what non-believers think or say (and I know you don't). The only Scripture they know is "Judge not". The reason Jesus spoke in parables was so that wicked people like these would NOT be saved. That may sound like an apparent contradiction to Peter's "not willing that any should persish…" but you have one from Jesus himself, and the same from Isaiah. Hermenutically: case closed.

• Harriet Arrasmith

11/18/2019 09:30 AM

Amen, Mike. Living in the will of God is hard work and takes extreme focus and discipline. That's why we pray for 'God given' guidance, strength and courage to be the warriors He needs us to be. God bless you and all of my fellow readers and patriots. Hallelujah!!

• David Allenson

11/18/2019 09:28 AM

Many years ago Kay Auther wrote a book about the POWER OF PRAYING The WORD OF GOD over the lives of our family, children, grand children, and others. I started praying Proverbs 16:18 "Pride comes before a fall" over these Godless Democrats and it has been absolutely ASTOUNDING to see what God has done! I was rebuked by someone on twitter for "attacking people with hate." God's Word is what it is! It's powerful, sharper than a double edge sword...." Charles Stanley says "Believe God and leave the results to HIM." We people of faith should be ashamed of ourselves! We have an EXPLOSIVE power in our hands. It is called the WORD of God. Someone has said that the great RG LEE once stood in a pulpit, held up high God's WORD and said "One of these days someone is going to read this book, believe it, act upon its statutes, and the rest of us are going to be ashamed of ourselves! Amen! When these people of darkness come against us, with these godless policies, (As believers) we should FIGHT BACK by proclaiming the WORD of God over these godless people, and utilizing it as a weapon of spiritual warfare. "Greater is HE that is in us, than he that is in the world." By the way Gov. I pray the WORD of GOD over you, Sarah, and your dear family every day! For divine protection and asking God to give you all favor! Look what has happened! God continues to use all of you in a powerful way!

• Dianne Yocum

11/18/2019 09:23 AM

Well said, Mr. Huckabee ?????? I have great respect for you and your honest assessment of way things are. God bless you, Sarah and family??

• Ron Bangert

11/18/2019 09:20 AM

The Church is a Bride, a Warrior Bride. Her Bridegroom is her Mighty Warrior, Commander & Chief. Her weapons of Warfare are Spiritual, and her enemy is ruthless, never sleeps too, doesn't say by the rules, plays for keeps, and cares less about us.

Every day we are called to put on the Armour of Light, without it, we will cease to be fully effective un the Gospel of the Kingdom.

As a Christian I must have both feet in, fully surrendered. There lies the battle of Faith. Jesus is also our High Priest in the Heavenly Temple, according to the Order of Melchezedek, always interceding on my behalf. We are called to be good soldiers in Christ, soldiers fight.

November 17, 2019

• Judy Gode

11/18/2019 12:41 PM

Thank you for your continued work & for always declaring you are a Christian!
    Judy Gode, Arizona

• Bonnie Reynolds

11/18/2019 12:30 PM

Right on, Mike!

• Mary Gail Oscarson

11/18/2019 12:27 PM

Gods many blessings to you always.

• Leroy Chausse

11/18/2019 12:03 PM

• Emily R. Bath

11/18/2019 11:16 AM

Amen, Brother Mike!

• Donna Beckstein

11/18/2019 11:07 AM

Well said! Appreciate you!

• Norman Scott

11/18/2019 11:05 AM

• Donna Bogema

11/18/2019 10:54 AM

• Oscar Williams

11/18/2019 10:38 AM

• Terri Rinke

11/18/2019 10:32 AM

• Bobbie Porter

11/18/2019 10:14 AM

Well said!

• George & Dusty Reese

11/18/2019 10:08 AM

AMEN!
    THE LORD HAS THE FINAL SAY!
    GOD BLESS YOU FOR ALL YOU DO.

• Shelley Hoelz