Evening Edition - October 25

October 25, 2019 |

California Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a new bill into law making it legal for Californians to harvest and eat roadkill.

This is only about the 14th craziest law Newsom has signed this year, and probably the first that actually gives Californians more freedom, even if it is just the freedom to fry up a wild pig with tire tracks on it.

Anyone who’s driving in California will probably welcome the savings that come from being able to eat roadkill since the average price of a gallon of gas there is a staggering $4.13, the highest in America (the national average for a gallon of regular is $2.61, and in Texas, it’s $2.26.)  But Gov. Newsom, who backed the latest tax increase on gas that was heaped onto already high taxes, and never met a burdensome regulation on energy that he didn’t love, claimed to be shocked by this so-called “mystery surcharge” that causes California gas prices to be so high.  He’s so flummoxed by it that this week, he suggested that the state Attorney General investigate the oil companies to explain it.

Might I suggest that this is what happens when you eat roadkill possum that’s been out in the sun too long.

---------------------------------------

When a TV series stays on the air for too long, the writers start running out of ideas, and the plots tend to turn wacky and ridiculous.  As a sign that Hillary Clinton’s “Excuses For Losing” show has been running too long, this week it officially entered its “Urkel Builds a Time Machine” phase.  Hillary now blames her 2016 loss on “flashing videos” on the “dark web,” that would appear and disappear, showing her doing horrible things she didn’t really do.

I think I saw one of those: it showed her calling about a quarter of the electorate a “basket of deplorables.” I didn’t see it on the “dark web,” though, just on TV.  Or were we all just hypnotized to think we saw that?

For more on this story, I’m linking to a thread on Twitchy.com. I’ll warn you that there is profanity on this thread, but it has the most information of any write-up I found on this story, and most importantly, the funniest comments.

-----------------------------------

To celebrate Friday arriving, here’s an article and some news I’m sure will make a lot of you happy to see:

Today, Ringo Starr is releasing his 20th solo studio album at age 79.  It’s called “What’s My Name,” and it includes a song by John Lennon and bass by Paul McCartney.  To promote it, Ringo gave this wonderful interview in which he talks about the new album, his fellow Beatles, how some of their classic songs came about and more.  Here’s a sample, when asked what he would have done in life if it weren’t for music:

“Well, music is my lifesaver. It got me out of the factory, and it was a dream I had at 13. I was very ill at the time, but I just wanted to be a drummer. When I was 17-1/2, my stepdad got me this old kit of drums. And then when I was 18, I got my first new kit of drums…You don’t know it’s gonna go where it went. My story is really incredible because of The Beatles.”

I can relate to that because, in a way, I am where I am in life because of music and the Beatles.  As a kid in the ‘60s, I saw the Beatles and just had to have a guitar. After two fruitless Christmases without a guitar from Santa, I finally told my mom that was the only gift I wanted.  On Christmas morning, there it was at last: the red and black guitar of my dreams from the JC Penney Christmas catalog, complete with a little amp, carrying case and instruction book.

It literally changed my life.  Believe it or not, I was a very shy kid, but forming a band, rehearsing and playing in front of crowds taught me teamwork and brought me out of my shell.  I never achieved my goal of becoming the fifth Beatle, but it gave me the confidence to become a pastor, politician and now, media figure.  And I still get to play bass with some famous (and kindly indulgent) musicians.

This is why I support music education in schools and think that cutting it is short-sighted and counter-productive.  Studies have shown that learning an instrument not only helps kids develop a love of music, it improves many other forms of brain development, from math to social skills.  Just like Ringo, playing music took me to places I never could have imagined.

As a post-script: I never found out until after my parents died just how much they had to sacrifice to buy me that guitar.  It was $99 in 1966, and I had no idea at the time how much money my selfish Christmas wish represented to them, when they were struggling just to pay the bills.  I learned that they had to talk JC Penney into letting them make installment payments for over a year to pay it off.  I hope that when I’m playing with some of the great music legends who appear on my show, that they’re both looking down from Heaven and thinking that it was worth it, and that the gift of music was $99 well spent.

----------------------------------

Having made the mistake of reelecting Justin Trudeau as Prime Minister, Canadians have only themselves to blame for having to listen to more of this kind of stuff:

Trudeau repeated his promise from 2015 to appoint a “gender-neutral cabinet.”  No, that doesn’t mean all his Cabinet members will have no genitalia, although you might suspect that from their public comments.  He means it will be “50% men and 50% women.”  Cue the PC brigades to start screaming in outrage that he thinks gender is “binary!”

Then start the countdown until he crumples like a Dixie Cup and appoints 52 Cabinet members, one of each gender.

• Anita Mule

10/25/2019 10:16 PM

Unlike the White House, I never did subscribe to The Times. However, it recently gave me me great pleasure to cancel my subscription to The Daily News, because of their outrageous attacks on Trump!

• Lovella Hebert

10/25/2019 10:08 PM

The Guitar and the Beatles. The exact same thing happened to me! My parents bought me an organ ($1,000) in 1959. I attempted a few lessons but became bored with the classical music I was being taught. My parents were in no better shape than yours- and made payments for 3 years on it!

Then, the Beatles came out and my interest in music rose up again. I was trying to play their songs by ear (and really only those 6 months of lessons). Well, it sparked me to "teach myself". My parents wanted me to play the organ at church; I wanted to play popular music. But, within 2 years, I found myself doing both :). And throughout my younger years, I was the church organist, I played for weddings of all kinds; then I won the Talent Competition for the Junior Miss Pageant. I was happy to make my parents proud, and the payback for the sacrifice they made for me. Thanks for the memories!

• Reacherfan Marmot

10/25/2019 10:00 PM

"Gender neutral"? Are we going to bring back eunuchs?

Evening Edition - October 25

October 25, 2019 |

---------------------------------------

-----------------------------------

----------------------------------

• Anita Mule

10/25/2019 10:16 PM

• Lovella Hebert

10/25/2019 10:08 PM

• Reacherfan Marmot

10/25/2019 10:00 PM

"Gender neutral"? Are we going to bring back eunuchs?

Evening Edition - October 25

October 25, 2019 |

---------------------------------------

-----------------------------------

----------------------------------

• Anita Mule

10/25/2019 10:16 PM

• Lovella Hebert

10/25/2019 10:08 PM

• Reacherfan Marmot

10/25/2019 10:00 PM

"Gender neutral"? Are we going to bring back eunuchs?