March 13, 2020

For the past three years or so, I’ve heard Democrats and the media (but I repeat myself) constantly assail President Trump for not having the proper character or temperament to be President. But I’ve always felt that you could judge those things best by watching what someone does in a crisis.

So far in this pandemic, I have seen Trump move early and amid heavy criticism to try to stop people with infections from coming into the US (you can’t keep a virus out, but you can slow it down and buy precious time.) He’s appointed the best people possible and given them the power, budget and leeway to do what they think needs to be done. He’s taken actions that he knew would kneecap the economy and harm his biggest reelection selling point, but he put the good of America first and did it anyway (I could name some other politicians who would not have done that in an election year - and when faced with the situation, didn’t.) He's trying to walk a tightrope between making the dangers of the disease very clear and reassuring people that it will be all right so don't panic. And he’s reached out to the other Party, urging them to put partisanship aside and work together to deal with the crisis.

So…how has the other side responded? You know, the people with such high standards of “character” for others? Thus far, they have relentlessly attacked, mocked, criticized, second-guessed and undermined everything Trump has tried to do. They accused him of being racist for shutting down travel from China, then after it became clear that was a very smart move, they criticized him for not doing it sooner. They blamed his speech for the drop in the Dow, even though markets were plummeting worldwide before he ever even spoke, and there was nothing he could have said that would have been interpreted as good news for stocks.

They claimed that Obama would have dealt with a health crisis much better, even though he acted much more slowly in dealing with swine flu. Plus, his Administration spent several years and around $2 billion just to create a health insurance website that didn’t work.

Oh, and let’s not overlook the shameless, self-serving opportunism. Like House Democrats’ attempts to load up the emergency coronavirus funding bill with liberal wish list pork, including Nancy Pelosi’s attempt to sneak in taxpayer funding of abortion. Memo to Speaker Pelosi: the idea of this bill is to PREVENT death, not subsidize it.

Fortunately, the GOP Senate will have time to go through the House bill and disinfect it, since Mitch McConnell canceled next week’s scheduled recess:

Joe Biden (or more likely, his staffers) rushed out a harsh criticism of Trump’s “lack of leadership” and a list of things that Biden would have been done, all of which have already been done by Trump. Well, all except the first thing, which was to insure that no bias against Asian or Pacific American peoples be tolerated. That’s the modern Democrats in a nutshell: so obsessed with identity politics that their #1 priority in dealing with a pandemic is to assume Americans will react to it like violent racists and virtual signal at us. I’d like to see the lab work that shows the virus cannot penetrate a thick layer of self-righteousness.

It’s also been noted how amazing it is that the solution to every crisis is to implement whatever the left has already been pushing for. For many, this crisis has been the perfect excuse to push for full government control of health care (even as they are attacking the government under Trump for “botching” the handling of health care.) Example: Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez tried to claim that South Korea got the infection under control because they have “single payer health care.”

Twitter users quickly reminded her that so does Italy, and they’re so overwhelmed that hospitals are denying care to elderly people and sending them home. Should we call the officials who have to break that news to the elderly Italians “death panels”?

As for the news media, I’m sure you know how well they reacted to Trump’s call for unity. For instance, CNN’s Don Lemon nearly blew a gasket when he couldn’t get even noted Trump critic John Kasich to attack Trump’s handling of the crisis.

We’ve also had a rash of media outlets declaring that Trump or anyone else who describes the disease as the “Wuhan virus,” the China virus or even a “foreign virus” is racist and xenophobic. In doing this, they’re carrying water for the communist government in Beijing, which started calling that racist because even though it was 100% accurate, it was bad for their phony image. It's actually no more racist than calling linguini "Italian food."

This prompted conservatives on social media to pull up dozens of clips of the PC talking heads using those exact same terms over the past month. Here’s a sample compilation:

I was genuinely hoping that the media and the Democrats would heed Trump’s call to put America first, set aside partisanship and pull together (some, like California Gov. Gavin Newsom, really are.) But I guess that for some of them, that’s like expecting a duck not to quack. It’s disgusting that they can see something that’s causing so much human suffering as an opportunity to score cheap political points. But their attempts are so obvious – and so repulsive – that this coronavirus episode might prove very costly to them in the long run.

• Kay DeWitt

03/13/2020 05:07 PM

BRILLIANT BEYOND BRILLIANT!!!!! My friend, you have a million-dollar message here (I say that to make a point, NOT to indicate that your other messages are worth any less THAN that!).....If you know me, at this point, because of the many comments I have written, then you know that I truly DO understand that GOD'S medium of measurement of "character" is HOLINESS...how conformed one is to the image of Jesus Christ.... and I, dally, pick up the cross Jesus said was the cost one had to pay to attain TO this medium of measurement... via dying TO one's self .....because I so treasure this priceless biblical value.

AND I chose to preface what I am about to say lest anyone, like the editor of "Christianity Today" , dare accuse me of compromising the biblical values I live for and will die for, if need me, because OF the passionate AMEN I had to what you had to say ABOUT President Trump's character.....and you COULD say what you said about his "character", was not because you are compromising Christ's medium of measurement, but, rather, because you are "discerning" it WITH Christ's discernment as to what President Trump's character really"is" as opposed to those who are NOT evaluating President Trump's character BY our Lord's medium of measurement or they would LOVE...rather than...HATE him!!!!!

And your evaluation here is so right on, I will go so far as to say it is anointed!
    Incredibly, that NY pastor who raised the $4000 to buy me cases of "Run Baby Run" books stated something that you confirmed in this newsletter's message because what Pastor Parisi said was, "a lot of people don't understand Trump...I am a lot like him because I, too, was brought up in NY...and you learn how to defend yourself when someone hurts you...I tend to get hot like Trump does...but I'll tell you....IF PELOSI EVER GOT HURT, PHYSICALLY, I BET TRUMP WOULD BE THE FIRST ONE THERE TO TRY AND HELP HER!"

Therefore, Pastor Parisi saw the same thing about President Trump's character
    ....his heart...that YOU saw....and it was alse what I saw when I wrote a refute in answer to an accusation that Trump was "mean" because of what he states in his tweets...And what I said was that, what AUTHORS some of his less than loving tweets is the emotional pain he feels when someone puts him down because it makes him "feel like" a loser as a result of how his dad brainwashed him with the thought that one is either a winner or he is a loser!

President Trump HAS a genuine love (even if it IS fileo, rather than agape, love) for America that the Democrats do not have and your message in this newsletter exposed their naked evil for what it is....which is WHY this message needs to go viral...although I don't have a clue as to how that is done....

• Barbara Brace

03/13/2020 04:58 PM

So glad for a man of courage who calls it like it is. And I do think, once again, the Dems will feel the blowback. A never-ending saga of the Keystone Kops join up with Laurel and Hardy.

• Thomas Joseph

03/13/2020 04:57 PM

Your article is very well rounded and thoughtful.
    Unfortunately many only listen to CNN ,Msnbc and the NY times and seriously think the President is failing us.
    I'm a democrat (though not for long),
    Who sees Pepsi and Schumer (I'm from NY state; for what they are.
    My Democratic party is gone.

• George J Murrey

03/13/2020 04:44 PM

I am repulsed that the speaker wanted to put planned parenthood into the COVID 19. Neither nothing to do to the other. Pres Keeps doing what is necessary to ensure all Americans are aware of what is going on. People complained about S Korea is moving much faster on the virus. Sad to say I don't trust the way other countries are testing their people. Though it's a slow process, the virus will be contained, followed by eradicating.
    God bless you, God bless Pres Trump, and God bless America.

• Bettye Martinez

03/13/2020 04:34 PM

When people have to run for toilet paper they never had to use cloth diapers on their kids. You never run out of t.p. when you know how to use cloth diapers to wipe with and Clorox to disinfect. I'm sure you'll get a chuckle of out of this Mike!

• Laura Hoffman

03/13/2020 03:44 PM

The closer President Trump gets to actually draining the swamp the more ridiculous and out of control the Democrats get. It's only going to get worse when he gets re-elected. And unfortunately there a few Republicans to worry about too.

• Gala Simpson

03/13/2020 03:43 PM

I've said all along that this media is rabid in their hatred for our great president. If President Trump succeeded in bank-rolling the research that would bring us the end all cure for all cancers, spending his last dime to do it, the democrats & media would roundly condemn him for putting oncologists out of business. Their motive is strictly hatred of this Constitutional republic and the middle class that stands between them and their dream of totalitarian communism.

• HCorey

03/13/2020 03:40 PM

Schools at all levels are closing having students telecommunicate their assignments from home. Catholic Church are suspending Sunday mass or advising anyone over 65 to stay home on Sunday. Only Dems are advocating people from China, source of pandemic, be admitted to US. Dems are willing to put the health of US citizens at risk. Why???? How much is China contributing to Dems like Pelosi, Shumer, Clintons, Feinstein?

• Barbara Adams

03/13/2020 03:23 PM

Your commentary is exactly right. I no longer listen to the major news networks because of their continued attack on our President. I got so tired of all the lies, half truths, hatred of our President who is truly doing things to make America great again! I watch Fox News now.

• Evonne Honeycutt

03/13/2020 03:17 PM

Thank you Mike Huckabee! Your thoughts are appreciated!
    Thank you Mr. President for always working hard for the betterment of this country, this great United States of America! You must feel that you are derned if you do, and derned if you don't.
    Mr. President, we appreciate all your hard work and efforts!

• P Harris

03/13/2020 02:59 PM

Could you please call the President and ask him to delay tax day? April 15th won’t work the elderly.

• Tamara McElroy

03/13/2020 02:56 PM

The liberals and media (including Fox) have gotten so ridiculous that I can't even watch anymore. I am an avid Fox watcher but all they talk about is Coronavirus, stockmarket and Biden. They even had a Bernie Townhall. The media's reaction has caused panic and disarray among Americans. Pres. Trump is doing everything feasible he can, yet you wouldn't think so after watching the news.

• Debra Seyfried

03/13/2020 02:46 PM

Yes. Well said.

• james randolph

03/13/2020 02:21 PM

Hey Mike -
    Best way to disinfect from the virus ... turn off CNN& MSDNC ..

• Krystyna Orlean

03/13/2020 02:20 PM

We think the President should close all of our borders including South borders. During that time all legal immigration should be on hold as well until future notice. For the security reason !!!

10 years ago the swine flu under obama affected millions and killed 18k yet baseball started, tournaments continued, nascar raced and he was praised on how he handled it. The guy who supposedly discovered this wuhan virus is missing, the chinese is blaming POTUS, over 50% of those who have contracted it have survived already..why isn't that being reported?
    Media and Dems couldn't get him on "collusion" nor anything else they have thrown at President..all they have for a candidate is a man who is literally loosing his mind yet this is all they can come up with to try to defeat a man who saved this country from economic collapse! This is absolutely ridiculous!

No matter what the POTUS does there are going to be people who just flat out hate him and will criticize his every move. What he is doing is a good thing to protect our country folks. If any other president Democrat or Republican were to do this I would praise them for it. The left will never give him any credit for anything positive.
    But He will win in 20120 His second term ! We beleive it and God Bless President and our country !

• Clara Herrin

03/13/2020 02:19 PM

I wonder what the Democratic party will be called after the election in Nov. Over the last 3 years, Dems have shown themselves to be so entirely incapable of caring about the welfare of this country that they will surely be eradicated as a group. In my dictionary the word 'democracy' is explained as follows: "1. government in which supreme power is exercised directly by the people or by their elected agents. 2. a state having such government. 3. a state of society characterized by formal equality of rights and privileges." So far as I can see Democrats hate all three of those designations. What they are working so hard for is a society beholden to whomever is at the head (I hate to use the term 'president' in this case) of the country. They seem to want the destruction of everything this country has fought for right from the first footfall of the first pilgrim on the first beach. They have allowed hatred to blind them to all reason and patriotism. They are so determined to sink this country they don't seem to realize that if this country goes down, so will they. They are like lemmings following other lemmings over the cliff into the ocean of oblivion. It's not hard to see this. Look at the sorry excuses for president they are offering the American public. Not one of them is capable of leading a dog on a walk around the corner, let alone lead a country as big as ours with all its perplexities. I've stopped hating them...I now feel sorry for them. They are reaping the harvest of decades of duplicity, lies, theft, and greed.

• Steven Ridinger

03/13/2020 02:07 PM

I stand by our President 100%. I am so thankful to have a President like Donald Trump. I am so tired of democrats constantly attacking him.

• Pollack

03/13/2020 01:57 PM

Mike nails it as usual. I understand his frustration with the MSM and the Democrats. They always have selective memory and forget when their side "screws the pooch" on a crises and always beat on the GOP when they have to face that prospect; no matter how well they perform.

• Donna J Forber

03/13/2020 01:50 PM

I wanted to post to Facebook, but while reading through this, I discovered repetition, and an almost haughtiness as it made points. I liked what it says, I think it should've been proof read a little more closely, as some sentences further on, didn't make a lot of sense. Anyways, I enjoyed the read, sort of, but won't repost it to Facebook.

• DB Winsor

03/13/2020 01:48 PM

Should be interesting to watch the fallout of all social programs in the progressive states. Now that they are not benefiting from Trumps good economy to pay for them. Bankruptcy comes to mind.

• Sherry Cano

03/13/2020 01:45 PM

I know the President is doing everything he can for the Americans period. This doesn’t come with instructions!! This is going to be an every day process until it goes away or we find a vaccine. I do not appreciate the left causing panic and despair there’s no need for it. They are at fault for all the miss information and all the craziness going on right now. Let us all pray for the president and all of the staff who are trying to get it all together at this point. GOD BLESS AMERICA

• Crystal Fenton

03/13/2020 01:26 PM

Evil never finds good in anything good, decent, Godly or moral. And it will always arrogantly boast that it is better than, smarter than, and superior to everything and everyone!

• Thala J Susag

03/13/2020 01:22 PM

Thank you, Mike, for your summary of all the Democrat critic's
    corner hogwash against President Trump's efforts to keep the
    American people safe from the Wuhan coronavirus attack by
    the communist Chinese government. The first case in China
    was November 17, 2019, and a Wuhan doctor braved the ugly
    forces of the communist government to expose their cover-up.
    Sadly, that doctor died in February from the virus. He was a
    hero to the Chinese people who want the right to free speech.
    Their blogs have been eradicated by government censors. The
    Chinese people deserve freedom from the harsh reality of life
    under a failed communist government (the same kind that
    Bernie Sanders, AOC and other leftists want for the USA. It's
    amazing anyone with half a brain would want to live under
    a failed communist system of government.)

• Kajun Jeaux

03/13/2020 01:02 PM

Well stated, Mike. You never cease to hit the nail directly on the head... Kudos

• Henry Pan

03/13/2020 12:56 PM

I think it is time for President Trump to declare a special Day of Prayer for the Nation to pray for the Lord's protection from this pandemic. The Lord is in control and He is the only one that can wipe out this pandemic.

March 13, 2020

• Kay DeWitt

03/13/2020 05:07 PM

Therefore, Pastor Parisi saw the same thing about President Trump's character

• Barbara Brace

03/13/2020 04:58 PM

• Thomas Joseph

03/13/2020 04:57 PM

Your article is very well rounded and thoughtful.
    I'm a democrat (though not for long),
    Who sees Pepsi and Schumer (I'm from NY state; for what they are.
    My Democratic party is gone.

• George J Murrey

03/13/2020 04:44 PM

God bless you, God bless Pres Trump, and God bless America.

• Bettye Martinez

03/13/2020 04:34 PM

• Laura Hoffman

03/13/2020 03:44 PM

• Gala Simpson

03/13/2020 03:43 PM

• HCorey

03/13/2020 03:40 PM

• Barbara Adams

03/13/2020 03:23 PM

• Evonne Honeycutt

03/13/2020 03:17 PM

Thank you Mike Huckabee! Your thoughts are appreciated!
    Mr. President, we appreciate all your hard work and efforts!

• P Harris

03/13/2020 02:59 PM

• Tamara McElroy

03/13/2020 02:56 PM

• Debra Seyfried

03/13/2020 02:46 PM

Yes. Well said.

• james randolph

03/13/2020 02:21 PM

Hey Mike -
    Best way to disinfect from the virus ... turn off CNN& MSDNC ..

• Krystyna Orlean

03/13/2020 01:22 PM

Thank you, Mike, for your summary of all the Democrat critic's
    corner hogwash against President Trump's efforts to keep the
    American people safe from the Wuhan coronavirus attack by
    the communist Chinese government. The first case in China
    was November 17, 2019, and a Wuhan doctor braved the ugly
    forces of the communist government to expose their cover-up.
    Sadly, that doctor died in February from the virus. He was a
    hero to the Chinese people who want the right to free speech.
    Their blogs have been eradicated by government censors. The
    Chinese people deserve freedom from the harsh reality of life
    under a failed communist government (the same kind that
    Bernie Sanders, AOC and other leftists want for the USA. It's
    amazing anyone with half a brain would want to live under
    a failed communist system of government.)

• Kajun Jeaux