President Trump and Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer are exchanging accusations over who is responsible for problems her state is having in obtaining supplies to deal with the coronavirus outbreak. You can read the details here if you want, but frankly, I think most Americans aren’t in the mood for partisan fingerpointing. If there are problems, they need to be solved now, and you can argue over blame later.

On a related subject, Gov. Whitmer is not filling her constituents with confidence that she’s putting their best interests ahead of politics by following Nevada Democratic Gov. Steve Sisolak in playing doctor without a license. Both Governors have issued orders banning doctors from the off-label use of hydroxychloroquine, particularly in combination with the drug Azithromycin, which has shown promise in early use in several nations, but which has been under attack by the left as a “fake cure” because President Trump spoke of it positively.

Whitmer’s Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs issued a letter threatening action against the medical licenses of any doctors who prescribe it for the coronavirus, requiring health care providers who learn of a doctor prescribing it to report them to the state, and banning pharmacists from filling prescriptions for it.

Yes, it’s true that we haven’t had years of clinical trials of this drug, but when you’re in a situation where nothing else is working, death may be near and you don’t have years to spend on clinical trials, the decision about what last-ditch drug to try should rest with the doctor and patient, not state or federal bureaucrats. This is why Trump pushed for and signed the “Right To Try Law,” to stop the FDA from “protecting” terminal patients into the grave by denying them experimental treatments until after they’re long dead.

At this link is a first-hand account by a Michigan COVID-19 patient, Jim Santilli, who believes he was hours just away from death when his doctor gave him this treatment, and he began a rapid recovery. You can imagine how he feels about his Governor banning doctors from even trying it:

Santilli writes, “This is unacceptable and I’m confident Governor Whitmer, and her administration, will be responsible for many deaths and much suffering. I highly recommend she stop the politics, and not discourage doctors from using treatment they believe may work.”

While some early studies of the drug have shown great promise, there’s no proof that it’s a magic bullet. There are flaws in the studies, conflicting results, and potential side effects. You can read more about them in this article:

And here’s the latest, released just last night: French professor Dr. Didier Reoult released the results of a second study that repeated the positive findings of his first trial use of Hydroxychloroquine (plaquenil) and Azithromycin on 36 COVID-19 patients. The latest study of 80 patients found “significant” clinical improvement in all but one 74-year-old still in intensive care and one patient who died who had an advanced, irreversible case and was 86 years old.

The bottom line, as that story states in its headline, is, “What if hydroxychloroquine doesn’t work? What if it does? Right now, we don’t know.” It quotes a health data analyst as saying, “When dealing with a pandemic, listen to experts who are used to grappling with these problems.”

I assume that would mean doctors, not Governors.

• James Robert Huffman

03/28/2020 03:09 PM

As always I have found these comments more realistic than the supposed news media elites. Please keep the realistic news coming.

• Elizabeth B Crouse

03/28/2020 02:44 PM

Someone forwarded me a message by Max Lucado on this virus and defeating the giants. It is powerful and was his Mar 14th sermon and he prayed for every member of the Task Force by name. Hope you can get it. I forwarded to everyone I knew that would read. God is in charge.

• R Reedy

03/28/2020 02:39 PM

Is it possible/practical for companies including Boeing, Lockheed, Raytheon, etc. to help in the production of ventilators?

• Liz Butters

03/28/2020 02:20 PM

Thank you Mike for giving all of us a clear understanding of everything that is going on. I read your newsletter every day and truly rely on your reporting of the facts and information. The entire nation needs this, God bless you!

• Kay DeWitt

03/28/2020 02:17 PM

Mike, when this pandemic ends, all I can say is that Christians' righteous rage over all the evil you are uncovering better not only not come to an end, but embark on a whole new beginning....to put together a declaration of proclamation.....that Christians throughout this US of A.....are joining their hands, and hearts, together, to make it KNOWN....via putting it in PRINT....and making it SEEN...via putting it in ACTION.....THAT....

The He who is in us IS greater than the he who is in the world..the Democrats and everyone else who is making a mockery of God's love BY caring more about opposing their President than they do about saving lives!

Mike, I pray that President Trump KNOWS the depth, and breadth, of what is your relentless support....and defense...of him so that he wil be receptive to taking any advice you may feel inclined to give him.....LIKE, FOR INSTANCE....

While he may not be able to win votes anymore by using how he has helped to make America great by the "witness" of our flourishing economy , he CAN win votes by showing how his response TO this unexpected pandemic crisis bore witness to his love for America...and Americans....and God used the fear of dying that this pandemic crisis engendered in Americans to have them focus ON death..
    and eternity...NOW instilling within them the fear of GOD....which brought them to their knees...in repentance....AND as this kind of "revival" spread throughout our land, IT served to bring about the beginning of making America great again because it moved America closer to being able to be called, again, "One Nation UNDER (in submission TO) God!!!

• Donald J Firestone

03/28/2020 02:14 PM

That's my governor and I'm not impressed with much of what she does. This is another case of me trying to figure out the reasoning/logic behind this decision. I don't see any. Let the doctors make the decision. Maybe she's trying to be a "hero" by making a "bold" decision by trying to protect us. I don't see it that way.

• Norman Scott

03/28/2020 02:11 PM

I believe President Trump has been a brilliant leader at guiding us through this corona virus pandemic. He has assembled the private sector to meet the needs of the states along with the government. I look forward to seeing our economy going back to work soon with Trump also guiding us in all of the safety precaution we still have to do. How refreshing it is to have a leader that doesn’t just try to be popular, but one who does what is right. Perhaps a new book on profiles of courage needs to be written! I would vote to put president Trump in it!

• Janet Pingston

03/28/2020 02:06 PM

Please please. I am from Michigan. And this the first I have heard of this medicine ban- anti malaria It is not being reported here. (Only something about masks ) GET THIS NEWS OUT

• Rexford O Ames

03/28/2020 02:00 PM

Would the Bureaucrats & Politicians shut up. Do their work and stay out of Doctors and Researcher's way. Every time, A Crises comes up. Politicians extend the issue for longer than it should, use it for their own political expediency! The solution is with the experts of the issue, Not some dumb, I am therefore I am Politician at any level. Look, I'm a 77 Year old. I am a Diabetic, I have a respiratory disease identified as: C.O.P.D.( Emphysema / asthma). My wife has cocooned me at home and if I get out. I stay in the car. Lovely: Ba Humbug. She is doing all she can to protect me getting Covin-19 at all. That may or may not be a good thing? If I get the virus, I may also gain Immunity, down the road??? Then again, The cure may resolve the issue for those who gets this virus but, those of us who , in probability, don't get it. Have no immunity from it? My perspective: In every crisis this world has ever had. They take a portion of that disease, add it to the mix and everyone gets a dose of it. Folks, this type of stuff will happen again, and again. That's a proven fact from when time and we humans started living on this planet.

• Floyd A Unger

03/28/2020 01:43 PM

It’s truly scary and amazing that people among us are willing to not only destroy our country and economy but are eager and willing to kill us for no other reason than to regain control and power. Uff Da

• Mike evancho

03/28/2020 01:36 PM

Thank you and nice to see you report truth in this pandemic, we need to turn to God not fake news.

• Pat J Green

03/28/2020 01:31 PM

There's always and end run around stupidity, seems to me like all a medical person would need to do would be to prescribe this drug for malaria

• ken moore

03/28/2020 01:28 PM

close the USA Mexico border permanently

• Cindy Taylor

03/28/2020 01:24 PM

Dear Governor Huckabee,

The governors who took it upon themselves to ban medications that could save lives, infuriates me. How dare they deny patients that choice. Threatening physicians’ licenses for using these drugs is unconscionable.

I am a 32 year survivor of a disease that was supposed to be my death sentence (2% chance to live 5 years). I was offered an experimental treatment that was still in clinical trial. I made an informed choice to try it.

The use of safe medications off label is not unheard of. Malaria medications have been used for other diseases for years. The governors have decided they have the right to deny a decision that is supposed to be up to the patient, physician and the patient’s family.

God bless you and yours. Please stay safe and well.

Respectfully,
    Cindy Taylor

• Kirk Rushing

03/28/2020 01:15 PM

You know, if either of these governors had the virus or a family member, I bet that without hesitation they would have a doctor prescribe the drugs for the family members. I get so angry at these type politicians because it’s do as I say and not as I do. The regular folks like us see right through them and hopefully they will be replaced by someone who has common sense and decency. I am at this point of I don’t care if they’re Dems or Republicans, we just need folks with plain common sense. Thank you for all you do Gov Huckabee. Me and my family love you and your family. We’re praying for y’all as well. We hope to get up to your show in Nashville soon. You’d love to meet our Service Dog Golden Doodle Si. Be safe.

• Martha Shuping

03/28/2020 12:53 PM

Studies in China, France, and Australia have reportedly had 100% success rate in treating corona virus in 6 days or less, using hydroxychloroquine plus Zithromax (Z-pack). A doctor in New York at Lenox Hill Hospital, said 100 patients had been treated at his hospital with 100% success - zero deaths. Gov. Whitmer and Michigan's medical licensing board are ignoring medical ethics in forbidding use of this treatment. The World Medical Association has produced ethical statements with agreement of their member physicians and member organizations, including the American Medical Association which is a member, stating in 1975 and again in 2013, that when there is not an "approved" treatment, it is ethical to use any treatment that gives "hope" of saving life and relieving suffering. In addition, FDA has stated in 1982 that is legal for doctors to use already-approved medications (such as hydroxychloroquine and Z-pack, though these were not named back in 1982, but any already-approved meds) for a new purpose. It is legal and can be beneficial, according to the FDA. An additional similar explanation was posted online in 2018. It is frightening that the governor of Michigan prefers to politicize medical treatment when lives are at stake, and lives will be lost by her decision.

• Diane Rowlands

03/28/2020 12:46 PM

Thank you Governor. whitmer is fighting with trump now about not receiving things that trump administration promised Michigan. Is she a doctor ? Probably not.

• sherry haddox

03/28/2020 12:10 PM

The doctors need to file a lawsuit against her for playing doctor. She has no right to object to this treatment. Hope none of her family that she loves goes into respiratory distress. What kind of an image is she portraying? God? The more I hear of dem not supporting people the more I dislike them and their politics. How did this woman get elected anyways.

I assume that would mean doctors, not Governors.

• James Robert Huffman

• ken moore

03/28/2020 01:28 PM

close the USA Mexico border permanently

• Cindy Taylor

03/28/2020 01:24 PM

Dear Governor Huckabee,

God bless you and yours. Please stay safe and well.

Respectfully,
    Cindy Taylor

• Kirk Rushing

03/28/2020 01:15 PM

• Martha Shuping

03/28/2020 12:53 PM

• Diane Rowlands

03/28/2020 12:46 PM

• sherry haddox

03/28/2020 12:10 PM

I assume that would mean doctors, not Governors.

• James Robert Huffman

• ken moore

03/28/2020 01:28 PM

close the USA Mexico border permanently

• Cindy Taylor

03/28/2020 01:24 PM

Dear Governor Huckabee,

God bless you and yours. Please stay safe and well.

Respectfully,