April 15, 2020

A WASHINGTON POST “Fact-Checker” column (quotation marks deliberate), not by Glenn Kessler but by Elyse Samuels and Meg Kelly, gives “Four Pinocchios,” the worst rating for lying, to President Trump for allegedly promoting hydroxychloroquine as a “cure” for the COVID-19 (Chinese –- that's a fact) coronavirus.

Where to begin? Aside from the headline, which makes sure to include the words “false hope” (they don’t know that), I suppose we could start right up front, with the quotes in which Trump allegedly tells his overwhelming LIES about it being a cure. Huge whoppers such as, “I don’t know, it’s looking like it’s having some good results. That would be a phenomenal thing.” And “It’s this powerful drug on malaria. And there are signs that it works on this. Some very strong signs.” And of course, “What do you have to lose?” Well, there’s a hardcore sales pitch!

Likewise, the writers’ case for dismissing hydroxychloroquine (which is being used in combination with other drugs, not alone) is that there aren't yet any clinical trials proving efficacy. But here's a FACT: those take time, and people who might die in the next 24 hours don’t want to wait for results to come in months from now., especially with the many “anecdotal” accounts of the drug’s success. That’s why Trump said, “What do you have to lose?”

There have been some small-scale trials showing promise, such as those by French doctor Didier Raoult. But the authors wave his work off as “discredited.” But how? I followed the link in the story to the journal that allegedly “discredited” the study. Here is the entirety of what it said on that subject:

“The ISAC (International Society of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy) Board believes the article does not meet the Society’s expected standard, especially relating to the lack of better explanations of the inclusion criteria and the triage of patients to ensure patient safety.”

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

Speaking of nasty bugs, how are things with the FBI?

Does that mean the drug wasn’t shown to be effective? The WaPo writers certainly imply as much. We’ve talked about this very small study here, right after the news broke that a hydroxychloroquine “cocktail” of drugs had helped some patients in France. The news was encouraging, but very preliminary; I said at the time that it appeared to have been rushed out and that the French-to-English could have been smoother. My staff and I were as skeptical as anyone should be of the results of a preliminary study announced on Skype. But after that, there was another, larger study that supported the first, and French President Macron went to the institute where it had been conducted and reportedly received a three-hour presentation on the promising results. In light of this, it is not overselling the treatment for Trump to say there are “some very strong signs” that it works.

And there are other studies currently underway, including in South Dakota, the first state to launch one. None of this would be happening without a lot of encouraging “anecdotal” evidence.

The writers reference these studies and quote spokespeople as saying that’s it’s too early to know for sure.

But what about that growing mountain of “anecdotes” from the many people who report they believed they were about to die but quickly began recovering after receiving this treatment? One was the 96-year-old (!) father of Dr. Marc Siegel; he was quite ill before receiving the treatment but recovered in just a few days. Even a Democrat politician has credited Trump’s publicizing of the drug with saving her life. Well, ignore them all. The WaPo writers say that to a layperson, anecdotal evidence “may not sound bad, but it’s actually an insult in the scientific community,” akin to “a Yelp review.”

That assertion, in itself, is a distortion of fact. If someone cited only anecdotal evidence as “proof” of a “cure,” then, yes, that would be pseudoscience, but President Trump hasn’t claimed this. Personally, if my life were in the balance, there were no proven cure, and a few thousand Yelp reviews said “this medicine saved my life,” I would at least give it a try. And you know what? I’ll bet the authors of this hit piece masquerading as a “fact-check” would, too.

In FACT, according to a new survey by the healthcare staffing firm Jackson & Coker, 65 percent of physicians would prescribe the drug to a family member with COVID-19, and 67 percent would take it themselves. Only 11 percent said they would not use it. In other words, a vast majority of doctors are encouraged –- not insulted –- by the anecdotal evidence.

Another point they use to discredit the drug is that there can be serious side effects if not used under a doctor’s supervision. Isn’t that true of virtually all prescription drugs, which is why you need a prescription? Numerous doctors, even some cardiac specialists, have said this is one of the safest drugs on the market. (Read the list of possible side effects in the paperwork that comes with most prescriptions, and you’ll think twice before taking ANY drug.) This article even cites the very suspicious story about the man dying after deliberately swallowing fish tank cleaner containing a very different ingredient with a similar name. (Talk about relying on “anecdotal evidence” to prove your case!) Sorry, but I can’t find any example of Trump telling people to take this drug without seeing a doctor, or to ingest fish tank cleaner.

They also bring up the concern about lupus and rheumatoid arthritis patients facing shortages of this drug because of the demand. I would say that if there is a demand, it’s because a lot of doctors –- repeat, doctors –- see the value in prescribing it for their COVID-19 patients. (See survey, above.) Ironically, the problem of supply vs. demand might actually be exacerbated by the tendency of politicians to “play doctor” and try to limit the use of the drug. A solution might be to go the opposite way: green-light mass production and distribution. A supply should, of course, be reserved for those patients already depending on it for maintaining their health.

The article also warns that a focus on this drug might cause researchers to “put all their eggs in one basket” and miss finding more promising treatments. On the contrary, those studies are going on as well.

Here are a few FACTS for those in the “fact-check” business who have trouble recognizing one. Trump has never called this a “cure.” He’s said he’s heard good things (so have I, so I know that’s true). He’s said what have you got to lose (if there is no other treatment, and the alternative is dying on a ventilator, that sounds pretty accurate as well.) It’s impossible to have perfect, long-term clinical trials at this stage; this is a never-before-seen virus and a treatment that’s only recently been tried. Many doctors, when faced with no alternative for a possibly terminal patient and no available clinical trials, make recommendations based on anecdotal evidence, particularly when there is a vast and growing library of it.

The authors surely know that slapping a "Four-Pinocchio" rating on Trump's comments implies to the public that they've made an ironclad case for deliberate, malicious LYING. Yet the last paragraph in particular reads more like an overly dramatic editorial than a dispassionate assessment of facts. And it is inaccurate (a LIE!!) for them to say that politicians and the media have turned this “unknown drug” into a “100 percent coronavirus cure.”

After reading through this article, I have to award Samuels and Kelly Four Pinocchios for their claim to be objective “fact-checkers.”

Two Major About-Faces

The Left Is Wildly Misinformed

New Study Compares Coverage Of Biden And Trump

• Kerry Kreger

04/15/2020 12:54 PM

Great Article! Mr. Huckabee, you are a genious sir! Always appreciate your stand for the TRUTH! Thank you for supporting our President!
    You both make me proud to be an American! God bless!

• Floyd A Unger

04/15/2020 12:53 PM

Sheesh! It really does appear that the media wants to destroy America as we made it and know it. What is it that they want?

• Ronald Gustine

04/15/2020 12:51 PM

You hit the nail on the head!!!

• Rosalie Gilliland

04/15/2020 12:50 PM

The Deep State has done their best in trying to keep a cure for this virus from the public. I have never seen so many people scream louder against something that could possibly save lives. Their ulterior motive is blatantly obvious - they want Pres Trump to fail so much, that they are willing to withhold help from those who might die. The Left is the party of death.

• Robert McFate

04/15/2020 12:48 PM

The TDS media is working overtime to discredit anything, I repeat anything to what Trump says!

• William David Ceely

04/15/2020 12:48 PM

I read this article (term used loosely) https://respectfulinsolence.com/2020/04/14/didier-raoult-bad-science-bully/?fbclid=IwAR2L2YCjx2gytHcqj0etrtSxxIKGmWn_zYJcD9FIIUJ1YGhDeqJlnCd_sGI just before yours Governor and my comment there was similar but not nearly as well stated as yours.

• John Killion

04/15/2020 12:47 PM

How many lupus and rheumatoid patients have contracted the covid-19 virus?

• Wayne Rausch

04/15/2020 12:47 PM

Well stated Mr. Huckabee! The biggest liars on the planet work in the so-called news media..particularly those who lean heavily to the left. One need look no further than the Trump/Russia hoax to see the truth of that. More is being revealed everyday about how that all went down, and in my opinion, there should be a firing squad for the main players in that coup attempt when all is said and done.

• Rebecca Graves

04/15/2020 12:40 PM

Gov. Huckabee, I took Plaquinel for many years for my lupus. I never had any side effects, and my doc told me the eye side effects are like 1000 to 1 or less. My eyes to this day are healthy. The side effects issue is hogwash. God bless you for these articles!

• Katie Cesaro

04/15/2020 12:39 PM

I have a great deal of respect for you and your normally kind and honest opinions. This was my first email from you. I enjoyed it, up until you promoted a tweet, and the Trump bashing began. He's not a perfect human (are any of us?), but he's done his best for this country and reading snarky comments about him just makes me want to cry.

I'll hang in there awhile. But if the snarky comments keep showing up, I'm gone. :(

Katie

• Linda Olds

04/15/2020 12:39 PM

I'm sure that if President Trump had not praised the use of hydroxychloroquine (HCQ), the Dems and the media would not be criticizing its use.
    I'm a retired clinical pharmacist, and I looked at articles from the National Institutes of Health and other professional groups (I don't consider CNN, MSNBC, the NYT or the WaPo sources of medical information).
    Not only has HCQ been used for decades for non-viral diseases, there are studies from the 1990s looking at it for viral diseases like AIDS and others. HCQ was used at 800 mg per day over 8 weeks, and was considered safe and well-tolerated. Now reporters are claiming that it's dangerous??? Every drug, including OTC drugs, has side effects. It's up to the doctors and their patients to decide what to use. And, of course, people should not be self-medicating.
    HCQ has been shown to have anti-viral activity, especially keeping the virus from entering host cells, so it may work as prevention. It also has anti-inflammatory effects, which decrease the lung damage and the need for ventilators.
    The people who are discouraging the use of HCQ, with or without Zithromax, are endangering American lives.

• Oscar Williams

04/15/2020 12:38 PM

Pasteur administered the first Rabies Post-exposure vaccine based on "anecdotal evidence". It worked. Quinine was prescribed for malaria based on "anecdotal evidence". The official British Tropical Colonies cocktail is "gin and tonic". Imagine that! This is "the pot calling the kettle 'Black'". ?These nitwits know NOTHING of medical practice or pharmacology. So, if they're drowning and I want to pull them to shore by the hair, I can't do it because there's no "clinical study history" of saving drowning people by pulling them to shore by the hair. Although it's recommended by all water-rescue teams(?). And I though Biden was an idiot! M.A.g.A!

• Laurie Keiski

04/15/2020 12:36 PM

The owner of The Washington Post is also the owner of Amazon and no friend of the President. This is just one of a series of hit pieces from them.

• Barbara Dempsey

04/15/2020 12:35 PM

I'm 80 yrs old. I would take the drug to be able to see my great grandkids! Case of trying to ruin Pres.Trump again by misusing his statements!

• Richard Hart

04/15/2020 12:31 PM

So when did they have clinical trials on the use of ventilators to cure Covid-19? Where are the results documented? Are they not simply an attempt to keep the patient alive while the body heals itself? Aren't doctors using hydroxychloroquine to help the body cure itself?

• Bob Sirek

04/15/2020 12:29 PM

Because President Trump thought the drug might be helpful he’s a liar? What’s the real reason you’re calling him a liar?

• Emma Jaye Lytle

04/15/2020 12:27 PM

If I were sick with the virus I would demand trying it! Having lifted the "right to try " as President Trump did, I would demand it and have instructed my health care power of attorney to insist if I am unable. I find most fact checkers swing the TDS in most everything. I have listened to speeches and then fact checked what was said and they say he didn't say that. BS is what they are. Truth has taken a back seat.

• Pat J Green

04/15/2020 12:26 PM

I've said it before and The WP and Miss Kelly just keeps this true How amazing is it that job St a few months ago they were constitutional experts and now they are medical experts.

• Donald Bowers

04/15/2020 12:24 PM

Dear Governor Huckabee,

Thank you for pointing out the truth of the WaPo fact-check farce.

It seems that the dems and mainstream media are delighted to have more deaths, pain and suffering from the Wuhan virus (COVID-19) as a way to get President Trump out of office.

Further lack of support for hydroxychloroquine as a preventive, and the coctail hydroxychloroquine-azithromycin-zinc as a treatment, may be financial: the possible undermining of a new vaccine which could possibly be a multi-billion dollar block-buster drug.

• Rob Coppet

04/15/2020 12:21 PM

You know, all we have for linking smoking to cancer is anecdotal evidence. There has never been a double blinded, placebo controlled trial involving naive participants to show cause (smoking) and effect (cancer). And there will never be such a study. No ethics committee in the world would approve it.

True, anecdotal evidence forms the basis for hypotheses that are to be tested in designed clinical trials. But, anecdotal evidence also forms the basis of compassionate provision of drugs that have not yet received full approval, simply because there is evidence of effectiveness.

What really is at issue here is not scientific correctness, rather political effrontery. Political science is NOT science.

• Ronald Hubert Peeler

04/15/2020 12:15 PM

No lying. I heard those pressers either live or on playback on FOX news. It was as you noted, "...“I don’t know, it’s looking like it’s having some good results. That would be a phenomenal thing.” And “It’s this powerful drug on malaria. And there are signs that it works on this. Some very strong signs.” And of course, “What do you have to lose?”

I would say that these economic prostitutes, Socialist Democrats, Marxists, Neo-Communists, Luciferian promoters of the dystopian, totalitarian, New World Order, via destruction of our constitutional law and order traditions based on Biblical principles, are knowingly & willingly twisting words, twisting intent so as to appeal to their reprobate audience (who do not like to retain God in their knowledge, possess a seared conscious, purposely sow discord among the brethren, & RUN to shed blood directly or indirectly, are excellent LIARS after the 'father of lies.' I wouldn't be surprised in the least to spiritually discern that they had daimon/daimonion [ruling or lesser devil spirits] 'bats' in their corrupt pseudo-intellectual belfries, deriving diabolical, devilish, occultic, knowledge from its damnable Luciferian source.
    Sincerely, Ronald H Peeler MD FACEP

• Joseph Trokey

04/15/2020 12:14 PM

I sure do wish I was as smart as those reporters are, or think they are. It amazes me the amount of news reporters that think they know everything when actually they know nothing.

• Janet Underwood

04/15/2020 12:14 PM

I thought everyone knew that the medical community, like many other professions (such as engineering), are often overly cautious in their attempts to avoid lawsuits and loss of stature. But their caution will cost lives in this situation, and therefore, in my mind, use of drugs that have had good results by those brave enough to try them should be publicized. I'd want to know about them if I were on my deathbed!

• Michael Beiermann

04/15/2020 12:12 PM

Thank you once again for exposing yet another LIE propagated by liberals with a radical political agenda.

• RANDY PORUBSKI

04/15/2020 12:11 PM

Governor
    Great read this morning on Fact Checkers. Your insightful analysis hit the bullseye again. Please keep up the great work!

April 15, 2020

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

Speaking of nasty bugs, how are things with the FBI?

Two Major About-Faces

The Left Is Wildly Misinformed

New Study Compares Coverage Of Biden And Trump

• Kerry Kreger

04/15/2020 12:54 PM

You both make me proud to be an American! God bless!

• Floyd A Unger

04/15/2020 12:53 PM

• Ronald Gustine

04/15/2020 12:51 PM

You hit the nail on the head!!!

• Rosalie Gilliland

04/15/2020 12:50 PM

• Robert McFate

04/15/2020 12:48 PM

• William David Ceely

04/15/2020 12:48 PM

• John Killion

04/15/2020 12:47 PM

How many lupus and rheumatoid patients have contracted the covid-19 virus?

• Wayne Rausch

04/15/2020 12:27 PM

• Pat J Green

04/15/2020 12:26 PM

• Donald Bowers

04/15/2020 12:24 PM

Dear Governor Huckabee,

Thank you for pointing out the truth of the WaPo fact-check farce.

• Rob Coppet