I hear from more people every day who are so sick of the vicious, impeachment-minded news coverage of Trump that they have simply turned off the TV and done whatever they could to get away from it, just for their own mental health.

Honestly, it’s hard to blame anyone for that.  And the coverage from mainstream media is only going to get worse as Democrats take control of the House and probably start "trumped-up" impeachment proceedings on Day 1.  So repeat as needed:  “This is a complete farce.”  We are being lied to, and with the 24-hour news cycle, that’s a lot of lying.  So trust your instincts and protect your brain cells.  If you hear someone say that Trump has broken the law and should be indicted, that alone tells you that the person is either pig-ignorant or deliberately lying to you.

Alan Dershowitz had a particularly strong appearance with Tucker Carlson on Monday evening to talk about how twisted this all is.  (If you recall, he wrote a book quite a while back called THE CASE AGAINST IMPEACHING TRUMP, which since that time has kept him from being invited to any cocktail parties held by any of his former friends.)  He presented what he calls the “shoe on the other foot” test, which I’ll paraphrase.

Imagine a scenario in which, during Bill Clinton’s run for President, Paula Jones comes up to him and demands money to keep quiet about what he did.  Bill and Hillary pay her out of their own funds --- doing exactly what has been alleged about Trump and Cohen with Stormy Daniels and Karen McPherson.  Because Bill is running for President, he and Hillary are accused of breaking campaign finance law and threatened with prosecution.  “I guarantee you,” Dershowitz said, that the New York Times, NBC, MSNBC, all the rest, would be screaming about any attempt to expand the criteria for impeachment and/or prosecute this non-crime as a violation of campaign finance law.  “Everybody would be on the other side of this issue,” he said.  Republicans would be calling for his impeachment, to be sure, as both parties can be guilty of overreach, and every Democrat would be calling it a witch hunt.  WE NEED A SINGLE STANDARD.  And we need to stop using hypotheticals and maybe’s.

Dershowitz called Democrats “fair-weather civil libertarians,” noting that they don’t care one bit about constitutional protections that impede them from going after Trump.  “That’s the most important consideration –- get him by any means possible.”

“This is such a danger to our constitutional system,” he said, “that I would hope that true civil libertarians would rebel against it as I am.”  (I would add that true civil libertarians still in the Democratic Party could have their strategy meetings in a phone booth, with room to spare.)

Dershowitz made it clear that demands for money to keep quiet absolutely are extortion and that there should be a prosecution of any person, male or female, who approaches anyone (candidate or not) demanding money under those circumstances.  He called this “absolute, classic extortion” and added that it’s “shocking” the special counsel isn’t looking into it.  (It does seem like the kind of “related matter” that Mueller has a mandate to investigate.)  He also noted that Trump had other reasons besides the election for wanting to keep them quiet:  to protect his family, to guard his “brand,” etc.  According to the law, this is why the payments are not considered campaign contributions.

Dershowitz also went into detail about the timing of reporting the payments –- which would have been after the election –-- and said, “So the absurd notion that he won the presidency by fraud and should be stripped of the presidency reflects incredible ignorance of the timing here and how these statues operate.”

This is all going to boil down to pure politics.  Trump didn’t break laws, but the Democrats don’t care.  They’re already saying he did, and will say it over and over again until this lie is “true” in people’s minds.  They’ll say or do ANYTHING to get him out of office (Plan A), or, failing that, to keep him from winning re-election in 2020 (Plan B).  James Comey, in a public appearance shortly after his closed-door hearing with House committees on Friday, actually said that “Democrats HAVE to win in 2020.”  He meant by any means necessary.

So, this is going to a fight.  Take care of yourself and keep a clear head, and if that means getting away from the news and other sources of shrill anti-Trump vitriol, by all means, follow your intuition on that.  But try to stay informed; turn to reasoned and trusted sources.  The next couple of years are going to be difficult, politically speaking, but critically important, so pray for our constitution and our justice system, which are under siege, and for the Senate, where the real fact-finding will take place in the coming year.  We’ll get through this together.

………………………

Redstate.com has a piece that concludes Trump WILL be impeached (which isn’t exactly going out on a limb at this point).  I won’t link to it because it goes over so much of what we’ve already covered, but it does go on to list the reasons why Dems basically have to impeach him.  Boiling it down, they are:

1.  To even the score for Bill Clinton’s impeachment.

2.  To put an asterisk by Trump’s election, to delegitimize him and actions taken by him.

3.  To avoid being punished by the Democratic base, who will demand it.

4.  To have wall-to-wall news coverage of the attack on Trump, plus gavel-to-gavel coverage of the House Judiciary Committee hearings to serve as one long campaign commercial for Dems leading into the next election.

I have to admit, I hadn’t thought of #4.  Seems to me that this could just as easily backfire.  But they’re set on doing it, and do it they will.

…………………………

Speaking of reasoned and trusted sources, Victor Davis Hanson has an excellent piece at American Greatness that puts the allegations against Trump into perspective by looking at what others in office have done.  It thoughtfully explains what the FBI investigation was really all about, back when it was assumed that Hillary would win, and what the Mueller investigation is about now.  This is the kind of solid information, as opposed to the distorted attacks from mainstream media, that can help us deal with the months ahead.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• Timothy Ward

12/11/2018 01:27 PM

Good morning:

The blame game actually belongs to Republicans and conservatives. And yes Mr. Huckabee there is a true difference between the two.
    The left has been squawking for the past 30 years, that is what they do. But the thing they have become the best at, is seditious attacks on the right. And why do they push the envelope like they have? Simple, It works! They know it, and they bank on it.
    The reason they are so successful is learned by observing parents and brats in the toy department of your local Walmart. Democrats are by definition "The Brats", the kid screaming, crying, kicking, lying in the middle of the ailse demanding the latest toy. Republicans are the soccer parents who give in immediately just to stop the commotion and the embarrassing attention drawn to them.

In order to put an end to this, conservatives need to no longer "spare the rod". No longer give in to the tantrum and make excuses after excuses. Democrats play the blame game, Republicans play the excuse game.
    Once Republicans discover the purpose of a backbone, and grab that rod and use it, Democrats will run faster than blind gay men at a weenie roast. Republicans need to stop apologizing for everything Trump says, they don't get America, they don't get Trump, they look absurd to voters and look like Ocasio Cortez on camera when they try to weasel out.
    The lack of campaign promises being fulfilled by Trump falls on the timid Republicans who refused to see the light. Perhaps that is why they have allowed the left with a minority to take control, they are affraid to be seen spanking the brat... Not to worry though, they bent over to planned parenthood, gifting them millions of dollars, thinking perhaps they could buy a little spine if they ever wanted one...

• Kathleen Nauman

12/11/2018 01:22 PM

I had to stop listening, at least daily. The hate got to me. The lying got to me. The violence got to me.
    This is no longer the America I loved and knew as I grew up. We are truly in danger. Trump was not the one I would have chosen as president when I voted for him; because the alternative was simply not even close to what we could stomach, let alone vote into office.
    Hillary is a criminal and she was one even without trying to bypass inspection of her foundation with a private server. (While she sold out our country to anyone willing to pay, and let our people die in Benghazi.) The fact that the justice system is also now part of the swamp sickens me. I cannot explain my dismay and disgust for the slime that is our present government body. We always knew it was bad, but we had no real idea how evil and corrupted it really is. There will be a great civil war coming if the lack of equal justice under law is usurped by those pushing the removal of this president. I do not think anyone but this president could stand what has already been thrown at him and still accomplish so much. He tweets too much, He is "brash" NY, and he simply loves this country. He is smart and he has thrown the kings and queens on their gilded thrones on their heels and I can forgive him just about anything for that alone. If he keeps out more illegals and updates our immigration system, in history he will be one of the best presidents ever elected. I hope the nation survives the war that continues to accelerate with every lie and every civility that dies. God keep our President - he could have just let it go and had a much easier life.

• Alice Irene Claar

12/11/2018 01:14 PM

Thank you again for helping us understand what is really going on. God Bless you and your wonderful family.

• Vicki Smith

12/11/2018 01:08 PM

I have watched the news consistently since the campaign. I agree with the logic outlined in your article and respect Alan Dershowitz. That said, I am so disgusted of not only these investigations, with more to come; but also the resistance to getting anything done regarding immigration, judges confirmed, etc., etc. However, while I voted for President Trump, with gritted teeth because of his character and brash behavior; his verbiage has worsened and unless this changes, he will not have my vote in 2020. I abhor his tweets, his name-calling; just this week referring to Rex Tillerson as a rock, is totally unacceptable. I would not allow this behavior from my kindergartener! In addition, when he does these things, he shows his hand and feeds the very ones who resist him day in and day out making it worse! He has no restraint and the accomplishments are forgotten because his behavior overshadows anything favorable he has done. I am a very conservative Christian and will never vote for a Democrat. Their party platform is abhorrent; there is no inclusion of others with differing beliefs; merely arrogance and a real movement is becoming clear to stifle believers. So, I guess, I will not be voting at all in 2020.

• Donna Root

12/11/2018 01:04 PM

Gov,
    First, thank you for being the voice of calm and rational thought. It is greatly appreciated.
    I have never been so disgusted and angry by the coverage of our President! My husband has Fox news on a lot of the time which is the only channel I will watch for news. Arent the main stream media ashamed of the lies and pure unadultered filth they perpetuate daily? I have to walk out of the room. Is it ever going to stop?

• Kay McCoin

12/11/2018 12:37 PM

Congress and other politically driven individuals are making a mockery of the United States of America. Yet, worse, yes worse they are being blasphemous against God as Creator, Giver of Life and Rewarder of blessings to those who follow His Word. We, the people, have fallen victim to the wiles of Satan who seeks to destroy the seeds God planted in the birth of America.

• Deborah A. David

12/11/2018 12:35 PM

Thank you for standing strong for America's constitutional rights and values. You are one of the very few people in positions of leadership who still have common sense (seems like it is becoming an extinct character trait).

• Laura Ainsworth

12/11/2018 12:35 PM

Reading the comments, I've noticed I am not alone in thinking that, given the current atmosphere, even FOX News is hard to take sometimes. For example, as much as I like Tucker Carlson and get a lot of very good information from his show, the shouting matches with leftist hotheads have become tiresome. As good as Tucker is at putting arrogant idiots in their place, he would be wise to cut down on those segments and focus on good interviews with guests who know what they're talking about. (Are you listening, Tucker?) What I do is record the show and fast-forward through those "idiot" segments, which are a frustrating waste of time, and watch the monologue material and interviews with knowledgeable, polite guests.

• Diana Hickman

12/11/2018 12:25 PM

I don't watch the news often anymore. The news is all the same. "Blah blah blah blah, Trump did this...blah blah blah, he's a horrible person... blah blah blah... how dare he! blah blah blah!" You know the old Charlie Brown movies where all the adults speak with "wa wag wah blah blah blah"? That's all I hear anymore. I don't trust the media anymore. I don't trust the people in Congress. I don't trust any of them. So I turn off the news so I don't have to constantly hear about all the hatred that the supposed tolerant spew on a daily basis...well, now all I hear is "blah blah blah I hate Trump" no matter what he does... blah blah blah

• Marilyn Madore

12/11/2018 12:00 PM

Dear Governor Huckabee-I believe it is imperative people of faith pray for the President. The Lord can certainly intervene. I suspect Christians who prayed fervently during the 2016 campaign have probably gone "back to sleep". We must always be on watch, praying and interceding for the President, he will desperately need our prayers and support in the months ahead. God bless you always.

• Barbara

12/11/2018 11:53 AM

Please continue to expose the Hippocrates we call Democrats. I hate the Presidents texting BUT support him and his ideas to keep our nation safe for All.

• Jerry Korba

12/11/2018 11:26 AM

Mike the news here in Minnesota is so flawed i just don't watch it, for the last 18 months can not handle it. For years we have been fed solid lies that is why we have the elected official we have now; I will check the weather in the morning that's about it. We have the Star tribune here been worthless for decades I will check the sports page the opinions of that rag reflect our Governor Mark Dayton, useless we have elected some real beauties in the state of Minnesota Jesse the Body Ventura, Al hands all over ya Frankin, Amy Klobachar remember Dem. judicial committee, woman beater Keith Ellison, the list just seems endless. looking at the officials from Arizona Jeff Flake what a beauty he is McCain and the new senator they have what have these people been taught? Maybe a look at the civic programs could use a upgrade I have to wonder where can I go to find responsible voters Minnesota is a high tax state lots of welfare programs property taxes keep going up the employment rate is good and we do have good jobs here why the high taxes? Democratic rule the taxes should be going down what are U doing with the revenue do not use California Illinois New York Baltimore Detroit and the rest of those failed state and cities led by Democratic leadership as a template unless U like crime and bankruptcy.....! Elections do have consequences in our state it doesn't look good. I pray for the best outcome.

• Marc Olson

12/11/2018 11:20 AM

I'm in full agreement w/your other viewers Gov Huckabee. I'm so tired of IMPEACH as well as other nonesense re: Trump & his family. I not only don't watch or listen to the so-called mainstream media/late night, I no longer watch/listen to Fox News. They always have these, what I call, raving idiots from the left who won't shut up even when told to. Laura Ainsworth said it well re: even detective novels, etc. everywhere it's impeach Trump w/absolutely NO REASON!

• Bill D. Gates

12/11/2018 11:20 AM

For me the best way to wash my ears and eyes out from all the biased "news coverage" is to watch your show, as well as reruns of Hee Haw and The Jimmie Dean Show on the RFD channel. The music is good and the jokes are actually funny with out political hatred. Things weren't perfect when these shows aired originally, but it was a more congenial time than now.

Bill in Texas

• anthony cuccia jr

12/11/2018 11:17 AM

Democrats have become the epitome of a shell/ communist/ NWO/ leftist / Constitutional defeating/ muslim infiltrated/ organization. It is not to be trusted, followed or allowed to fester, in the US government any longer. Steps should be taken Now; to indite and clean out the treasonous participants by Law and that they be tried by Military tribunal.

• Jean Corvin

12/11/2018 11:09 AM

I am thankful for your daily comments. Some days I am so disgusted with the "other side" I could scream. I try to listen to conservative sources. And I pray very much that God will intervene in this mess. He is sovereign. Blessings to you Gov Huckabee.

• Mary Francene Burns

12/11/2018 11:09 AM

You are correct in saying that we Trump-supporting people are sick to death of hearing incessant lies in attempts to impeach President Trump. President Trump is strong because God has made him strong to endure this abuse. Our job is to pray without ceasing for our president and our country.

President Trump will remain in the highest office of the land until God has determined he has completed his purpose, at which time God will grant the ungodly the desires of their hearts. Woe to the unsaved when that happens.

Come, Lord Jesus.

• MICHAEL LONG

12/11/2018 11:08 AM

YOUR NEWSLETTER IS NICE,,, BUT BUT,, ALL DAY EVERY DAY 24/7 OVER AND OVER THE TALKING HEADS REPEAT THE SAME THING. HOWEVER NOTHING GETS DONE HILLARY SLICK WILLIE AND THE REST OF DNC BAD ACTORS /CRIMIALS/IN THE FBI INTEL COMMUNITY AND DOJ ARE NOT BEING INDICTED SO UNTIL SOME CRIMINAL ACTION IS TAKING LET ALL THE TALKIN G HEADS STOP TALKING

• Dennis Harvey

12/11/2018 11:04 AM

I grew up watching Chet Huntley and David Brinkley on NBC News. Knowing what was going on in the world was important to my parents and thus it was transferred to me. The media bias today has gotten so bad that I no longer subscribe to the local "news"paper and I no longer watch the evening "news". Thank God that we have the internet and the other resources it affords to gather information. Thanks Mike for your perspectives that help toward that end.

• Tom Kessinger

12/11/2018 11:00 AM

By the way, I believe pigs are thought to be intelligent.

• Duncan McNeil

12/11/2018 10:48 AM

Governor, I appreciate the inspirational words and I believe you to be sincere and a patriot. At what point do citizens who want our Constitution to reign supreme, take action to resist an out of control and corrupt government/media structure? They control almost all of the media platforms and censor at will. They've placed partisans on our judicial benches that work against the president AS partisans. They lie, spin and obfuscate as readily as most folks breathe. There is no way to simply shut down their influence with those who believe their lies so discussions with that hardcore 40% is pointless.
    We've gone through the looking glass here and it seems to me that modern Americans seem to think that reality is what they SAY or THINK it is. There seem to be few, if any, adults in DC anymore and our nation appears to be on the verge of descending into some European style socialist hell that will bring violence in some parts of our country.
    All I can say to my fellow Americans who sincerely believe they have a right to take from the "wealthy" and give to others by force, THEN tell the rest of us how we will live and what we must believe, under penalty of law, is that righteous indignation is going to be cold comfort when we all find ourselves standing in the ashes.
    Maybe at that point, we'll wake up and ask the question that should be on everyone's minds today - CUI BONO? A shattered, divided America benefits, who, exactly?

• Tom Larson

12/11/2018 10:44 AM

If I didn't know WHO is ultimately in control, I would be very much discouraged by the one-sided side of current politics. However, I am very concerned for the younger generation! They are being brain washed by the current one-sided view of current events. They are corrupted for generations!

• Leonard Lugo

12/11/2018 10:40 AM

Hi. Mike. The wicked Democratics are pulling out all the stops. It was mmm' s the word when wicked emperor Obama was in! Trashed the Constitution, among other things, the crime boss did "anything he wanted!" We are indeed living in the end times, calling evil, good and good,evil! We're praying for him and you. Leonard Highlands TX

• Frank Sola

12/11/2018 10:35 AM

I appreciate your warnings of constant vitriol about POTUS and it,would be great if you could quote a Scripture verse each day to maintain calm in the storm and stay true to our instincts that he is trying to save our country.

• Susan Kesterson

12/11/2018 10:20 AM

Thank you Mr. Huckabee for putting all of this into perspective for me. I’m definitely one of those that has turned away from the news, except Fox ;) I try to focus on the things our President is accomplishing instead of the constant regurgitated nonsense. It’s tough though. Thank you for what you do.

………………………

1.  To even the score for Bill Clinton’s impeachment.

3.  To avoid being punished by the Democratic base, who will demand it.

…………………………

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• Timothy Ward

• MICHAEL LONG

12/11/2018 11:08 AM

• Dennis Harvey

12/11/2018 11:04 AM

• Tom Kessinger

12/11/2018 11:00 AM

By the way, I believe pigs are thought to be intelligent.

• Duncan McNeil

12/11/2018 10:48 AM

• Tom Larson

12/11/2018 10:44 AM

• Leonard Lugo

12/11/2018 10:40 AM

• Frank Sola

12/11/2018 10:35 AM

• Susan Kesterson

12/11/2018 10:20 AM

………………………

1.  To even the score for Bill Clinton’s impeachment.

3.  To avoid being punished by the Democratic base, who will demand it.

…………………………

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• Timothy Ward

• MICHAEL LONG

12/11/2018 11:08 AM

• Dennis Harvey

12/11/2018 11:04 AM

• Tom Kessinger

12/11/2018 11:00 AM

By the way, I believe pigs are thought to be intelligent.

• Duncan McNeil