March 30, 2019

After I tweeted a reminder about the movie “Unplanned” opening this weekend, my Twitter feed got the usual barrage of snark from the liberal Peanut Gallery, accusing critics of Planned Parenthood of wanting to slash women’s health services.  That is as ridiculous as the claims by some of them that they were going to unfollow me over that tweet (if they didn’t know I’m pro-life, why were they following me in the first place?)

So I thought this would be a great time for a refresher course on why supporting Planned Parenthood and supporting women’s health services are not in any way the same thing. And I’ll do it using PP’s own numbers.  These figures are from the annual reports that they’re required by law to issue (and if they weren’t, you can bet this would all be top secret.)

PP denies that it is an abortion mill, despite former employees’ testimony that they are drilled to pressure patients to have abortions to meet quotas. (Sue Thayer, a former facility director for Planned Parenthood of the Heartland, testified to Congress in 2015 that Planned Parenthood “is more concerned about its bottom line than it is about the health and safety of women.”)

Yet in 2018, PP clinics performed 332,757 abortions, 11,000 more than the previous year.  That’s the most that they’ve performed since 2011-12.  Depending on the study, that’s between one-third and one-half of all abortions performed in the US.

Meanwhile, in virtually every other category of health services – pap tests, providing contraceptives, etc. – PP’s numbers decreased.  Adoption referrals fell by 1,000 from the previous year to less than 3,000.  That means that for every 118 babies they aborted, they sent one woman to someone who would help her baby be adopted (PP doesn’t deal with adoptions; they send you to someone else if they can’t talk you into an abortion.) The only service other than abortion that increased was tests and treatment of STDs.

PP proving more abortions and less of virtually everything else is a longterm trend.  The Daily Signal reported in 2016 that at that time, Planned Parenthood provided 30.1% of all abortions, but only 0.97% of all pap tests and 1.8% of breast exams.  Those were physical exams, not mammograms – PP clinics don’t even have mammogram machines; once again, they send you to someone else for that.  And if they discover you have high blood pressure during an exam, they have to send you to someone else to treat that, too.

Prior to that, an analysis by Susan B. Anthony List found that from 2009 to 2011, PP’s contraceptive services dropped by 12%, and its cancer screening and prevention services fell by 29%.  But can you guess what went up during that period?  That’s right: abortions. From 2009 to 2011, they aborted 995,687 children.

The liberal howl that defunding Planned Parenthood would result in drastic cuts to vital women’s health services is nonsense.  There are only 650 PP clinics in the US (and as noted, they don’t even offer many vital services.)  Meanwhile, there are over 13,000 non-abortion-providing Federally Qualified Health Centers providing a full range of health services to women, and tens of thousands of private doctors who accept patients on Medicaid and other government programs.

As National Review notes, some entire states have one, two or no PP clinics, but hundreds of FQHC clinics.  Even California, which has by far the most PP clinics in the US at 114, has many more FQHC clinics (nearly 1700), providing a full range of health services.

The truth is that defunding Planned Parenthood would not mean “slashing women’s health care.”  If the half-a-billion dollars that taxpayers give to PP every year were diverted to full-service clinics instead, women could actually be provided with better, more comprehensive care.  And taxpayer money wouldn’t be going to prop up an organization whose real mission becomes more obvious with each passing year: “women’s health services” is just a front.  They’re actually in the death services business.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• Linda Orf

03/31/2019 08:19 AM

The same people who call PP women's health care and pro choice are the ones who are so concerned about a little fish that might die if we used the water to irrigate a farm. I cannot comprehend their thought processes.

• Mitchell Fillet

03/31/2019 07:27 AM

Planned Parenthood performs a service that people want. It's quite simple. They are not entitled by law to force women to have abortions. So they provide a service that many women choose to use. And they appear to provide that service in a safe way. Isn't our democracy about personal freedom within the constraints of the law ?

• Edward Kubicek

03/31/2019 06:51 AM

Hey Mike, Thanks for the statistical analysis of PP. Folks sure need to see the actual numbers and not just the talking points. I haven't seen Unplanned yet but certainly plan on it. I read yesterday where a lot of the networks refuse to allow advertising for the movie citing they don't want to be political. That, to me, is a real joke! I was even astonished that Christian radio stations refused to advertise due to the "R" rating. Well Gosnell suffered as well but it also opened a lot of eyes and I am sure Unplanned will as well. Thank you for the information.

• Sandra Weaver

03/31/2019 06:19 AM

I agree I think that these women like to complain. They want everything to be paid for just so they don't have to dish out their own money. I really sick the Democrats pushing women and men to protest. Since President Trump came into office its even worse.

• Laura Hoffman

03/31/2019 05:26 AM

I want to know if it is true what I have heard, read and seen that Planned Parenthood deals in aborted baby body parts. Is this true? If so, why? This is so abhorrent to me! Please tell me this is just more fake news.

• Lezlie Tuione Vehikite

03/31/2019 02:25 AM

Terrific article Governor Huckabee, thank you so much! Very informative & eloquently written. We are truly grateful for your continuous fight in the trenches regarding critical issues facing our Nation. We are at a crucial turning point - Planned Parenthood must be defunded! Will be sure to pass along the your great article. Humble Appreciation & God Bless! Most Respectfully, LV

• David Colonna

03/31/2019 12:05 AM

Mike,
    My wife and I just saw the movie and we both cried a whole lot. Thank God GA passed the Fetal Heartbeat law and please pray for our state, you and all your great supporters that ACLU (Devil's handmade) do not file any lawsuits. If they do file a lawsuit that our great Supreme court rules in favor of the State of GA's law. The arguments for abortions have no merit in God's eyes. We all need to stand up against any abortions!

• Theresa Garber

03/30/2019 11:33 PM

My daughter is very liberal in every way (she sure didn’t get it from me!), and she feeds me the line all the time that if it wasn’t for the Planned Parenthood facilities she couldn’t afford a mammogram or a pap smear. I do not believe for one minute that she has ever been inside a Planned Parenthood facility as none of them in our local SoCal area actually DO mammograms or pap smears. Thank you for always digging to get at the truth and for exposing liberal lies. My husband and I watched “Unplanned” today, and it so deeply touched our hearts. We were anti-abortion to begin with, but this movie just cemented our resolve to pray and work against abortion and Planned Parenthood even more. God is not honored or pleased with this taking of innocent lives, even while He offers forgiveness and restoration to those who have had abortions. Keep putting the truth out there, Governor!

• Beth Dean

03/30/2019 11:31 PM

Republicans should have defunded PP when they had the chance, shame you Mitch and company!!!!!!!!!!! Too!!!!!!!!!

• Kathleen Wood

03/30/2019 11:27 PM

It's a lie to equate killing babies with women's health care. Information regarding true story movie called "Unplanned" about Planned Parenthood worker leaving after seeing an abortion is being censored by Twitter. The lies and coverup of abortions are about to end. These babies are killed, mutilated, left to die, disposed of like waste. MSM does not show fairly prolife movement. To me it is like abolitionist movement. And just as Witherspoon made plain to society to see what slave ships were doing, we must make plain to society to see what abortion is doing.

• LynnEllen Lang

03/30/2019 11:27 PM

Thank you for these statistics. I was not aware of this.

• Mary Carolyn Trucano

03/30/2019 11:06 PM

I was involved in a faith-based Crisis Pregnancy Care ministry in two different counties in the state of Florida: Citrus County (2000-2004) and Hardee-Highlands Counties (2004 - 2008). Planned Parenthood perpetuates the four myths described in the feature article by the reporter from National Review by falsely making claims: #1 "Planned Parenthood is a routine health-care provider"; #2 "Abortion is just 3 percent of Planned Parenthood's business" by their definition of a "service" to manipulate the data to give a false impression of the higher percent of actual patients who visit a Planned Parenthood facility - first and foremost - to obtain an abortion; #3 "Planned Parenthood's clinics are the only place that millions of American women can obtain necessary health care" - I know from experience that Crisis Pregnancy Care centers did actually make referrals for adoption services; and #4 "Planned Parenthood isn't political and won't be able to serve women if it loses its federal funding" is a lie, based on the number of people in Congress who support Planned Parenthood and are supported in their campaigns by Planned Parenthood contributions.
    I also saw the movie "Unplanned" on 3/29/19, and the deception and lies perpetrated on Abby Johnson were truthful - based on my perceptions of Planned Parenthood's "marketing techniques".

• Joy Polo

03/30/2019 11:00 PM

That line about PP workers having to meet abortion quotas is alarming. It's directly analogous to saying the city coroner has an autopsy quota and that if he doesn't have enough dead bodies, he better go out and get some.

• Dave Wolff

03/30/2019 10:38 PM

Great article.
    My soul aches because I feel complicit in murder because my federal tax dollars have funded abortions.
    Thank you for bringing the truth to print. I have faith that we can make a difference.

• Barbara Ferguson

03/30/2019 10:35 PM

I appreciate your integrity in sharing the news. Our tax money certainly shouldn't be used to kill babies.
    I happen to be one of those adoptive mothers who wanted children but couldn't naturally, so I'm glad some women didn't abort their boys so my husband and I could adopt them (over 50 years ago).

I listen to your program on Saturday evenings, and enjoy your sense of humor as well as your fact-finding integrity. You do a good job. Thank you.

• Faye Keenum

03/30/2019 10:20 PM

Abortion is murder! No matter how
    you dress it!

• Suzanne Marienau

03/30/2019 10:13 PM

Supporting PP is supporting Satan. No rational human being can honestly support murdering babies! Health care does not mean murdering anyone.
    The great deceiver is hard at work and will stop at nothing to turn people against God.

• Patrick Barrett

03/30/2019 10:11 PM

The Republicans have offered to fund womens health services without abortions. they said NO! this is like if they offered women's health services and heroin. IF Republicans said no to the drug part, they would say we are stopping women's health services by refusing to fund heroin. They are covering up the biggest bad thing with a little good thing and expecting every one to look the other way! and of coarse, the conservatives are to kind and reserved to say anything negative! We are just raised to well to call their spade a spade. Except kirt Goudy! and maybe William Buckley Jr.!

• Rodney Burke

03/30/2019 10:03 PM

I think PP has no clue of what constitutes "supporting women." I know what mine is. Supporting them in pregnancy, child birth and child rearing. Abortions on demand is NOT support. the wholesale slaughter of whole ethnic groups is genocide. And that is what Margaret Singer/Sanger and PP advocate. There should be no debate on whether or not a new born lives. IMO , the gov of VA should be shot for his stance on killing the BORN and so should Cuomo. Dems it appears in general are souless, and utter void of any morals. Yes, communists are what they are. and the lowest form of human beings possible.

• Rita Clark

03/30/2019 09:59 PM

Just saw “Unplanned” and pray it’s vital message reaches the hearts of thousands of women with the true message before they make a very wrong choice. Thanks for your stats and message today. Keep up the good work! People are listening ??

• Linda Radosevich

03/30/2019 09:47 PM

Thanks, Gov. Huckabee, for your recommendation of the movie Unplanned. I called two friends and we went to see it this afternoon. I can't say enough about how moving and inspirational it was!

• Sandra Young

03/30/2019 09:36 PM

Thank you Mr Huckabee. I'm FINALLY taking the time to inform myself. Your article is an eye opener with facts. God bless you

• Charles Wilder

03/30/2019 09:33 PM

I have always resented tax dollars funding--even in part--PP; I believe life begins at conception, and every abortion is a murder. I might bend in those extreme cases where it is done to save the mother's life, and--if the right argument were presented--I might concede consideration where pregnancy is a result of rape.

I just watched "Unplanned" last evening, and it just reinforced how I feel. There is no justification for our money being lavished on soulless murderers!

• Karen Cox

03/30/2019 09:08 PM

Thank you so much for this fact filled article! For people that are burdened about the murder of children, I urge them to get involved. There are great clinics that offer life saving alternatives to abortion. One of these is Life Choices. Pray for your local clinic, volunteer your time, donate, vote for pro-life candidates. Only with God’s help can we help to turn America back to Christian principles.

• Bernadette Dillon

03/30/2019 09:02 PM

All federal and state funding should be immediately stopped to all Planned Parenthood in every state, county, and city. Not one taxpayer penny should ever go to this Nazi regime that sells baby body parts!!! This company is the devil's demons hell hole!

March 30, 2019

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• Linda Orf

• Beth Dean

03/30/2019 11:31 PM

• Kathleen Wood

03/30/2019 11:27 PM

• LynnEllen Lang

03/30/2019 11:27 PM

Thank you for these statistics. I was not aware of this.

• Mary Carolyn Trucano