September 4, 2018

One obstacle frequently cited by those who don’t see the urgency of replacing Attorney General Jeff Sessions is that it would take a long time to get a successor confirmed by the Senate.  No doubt the Democrats would make it as difficult and drawn-out a process as possible, but is that reason enough not to fire Sessions?

Nope.

Judge Jeanine Pirro, in her “opening statement” Saturday night on FOX News, talked about this, noting that Sen. Chuck Grassley has said he could schedule Senate hearings to confirm a new attorney general and also that Sen. Lindsay Graham has predicted Sessions will very likely be replaced.  The President has said he wouldn’t fire Sessions before the midterm elections but was noncommittal about afterwards.

OUR TOP STORY:  Of funerals and forgiveness: recall that McCain gave Trump "dossier" to the FBI

But Judge Jeanine went on to talk briefly about something more:  the Vacancies Reform Act.  This legislation, she said, allows for the appointment of a new attorney general on a temporary basis without Senate confirmation.  What she did not say is that the law is extremely complicated, and it hasn’t really been resolved how it would work in a case in which the attorney general has been fired.  I’ll have more details about this at the end.

Of course, even without a new attorney general, it doesn’t seem that firing Sessions would make much difference.  He’s like the “empty chair” that Clint Eastwood shared the stage with at the Republican National Convention to symbolize the presidency of Barack Obama.  Sessions has recused himself from practically everything the Justice Department desperately needs to concern itself with right now.  But with this law, or with a fast Senate approval, we might actually get someone in the job who can and will do something.

A statement from Sessions reads, “While I am attorney general, the actions of the Department of Justice will not be improperly influenced by political considerations.”  I would think that after saying something like that, Sessions might want to be looking at a very different career:  standup comedy.

I was on with Judge Jeanine that night and had to say it breaks my heart to agree that Sessions should go.   As I told her, he’s a longtime friend of mine and I really like him.  But this whole situation is out of control, and we’ve got to get to the bottom of the corruption, conspiracy, collusion and cover-up that’s been going on in the Justice Department.  I don’t know why, but Sessions just doesn’t appear to have the “stomach” to appoint people from the field offices, away from Washington, or perhaps a special counsel, who can do what it takes to get accountability for those who have made a mockery of justice in this country.

As I told Judge Jeanine, Sessions should have been storming up and down the halls of the DOJ and FBI, kicking in doors and turning over desks.  (I can’t help it; Jesus with the money-changers comes to mind.)  The people who ostensibly worked under him have apparently been involved in a coup against a duly elected President, and it doesn’t get more serious than that.  But at this point, Sessions really should just lay in a supply of cardboard boxes to pack up the stuff in his office.  It would be best for the country if he turned in his resignation, admitting he can’t be effective in the job.  If he needs help with moving, I know a guy.

As promised, here is more than you ever wanted to know about the Vacancies Reform Act.  It might be helpful to scroll down to the subhead, “Can the President Designate an Acting Attorney General Under the Vacancies Reform Act?”  Answer:  it looks that way, but he’d better be prepared for the unending legal challenge and general grief that accompanies everything he tries to do.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• Darrell Skondin

09/04/2018 03:24 PM

I don't have any concrete stuff, but I think judical watch said that Sessions turned in a resignation letter already that is still good, President Trump can use when needed. Doesn't need a new one, so it wouldn't be a firing. Check with Judical Watch.

• Dee Hay

09/04/2018 03:17 PM

If Trump needs to fire Sessions, then he should fire him. I like the job Trump is doing but I don't like his constant haranguing on his employees. This is not helping Trump with the people he needs most in 2020, or maybe even in the midterms. He needs the voters outside his die hard loyalist base who like his job but don't care for his style and I think he is turning them off with his unorthodox tweeting rants.

• James Oksen

09/04/2018 03:03 PM

I wanted more than anything to believe that AG Sessions was playing it cool by his unwillingness to engage, perhaps as part of a secret plan with the Pres to bluff the Left. I mean, this is not a fearful man. He prosecuted the KKK in Alabama, got an $8,000,000 judgment against them, and pretty much put the KKK out of business in that state. He's also a Godly man, and wouldn't have made the Pres believe he could do the job of AG if he knew he really couldn't. But his continued foot dragging so late in the game is baffling. The actions of this AG do not comport with the brave strategizer, who cherishes a photo of himself with Martin Luther King. I guess his time as AG is up. Now, Trey Gowdy would be a real bulldog as AG. But from what I've heard, he's had a belly full of D.C.

• Anne Lofranco/Channon

09/04/2018 03:03 PM

I understand that AG Jeff Sessions wrote a resignation letter back in May and gave to President to accept whenever.??No? I believe Tom Fintton is the one who unearthed this information.? No? Someone should get to Pres. Trump before the elections to accept the "RESGNATION" and appoint a temp AG - ASAP

• Jo Aycock

09/04/2018 02:47 PM

What about the letter of resignation that Session gave to President Trump?

• Mary Anne Berry

09/04/2018 02:45 PM

I agree Sessions needs to go. Originally I thought he was going to be a great fit! What happened? I wondered what The Swamp had on him, that he would suddenly become invisible. Lately, my mind has gone a different direction. As a preacher, you might be able to relate to this...my husband was a high school principal. Bless their hearts, my kids were "the principal's kids!" My husband bent over backwards to not "favor" our kids. As hard as we tried to live a normal life, the reality was that my husband WOULD treat our children a little differently. He expected better behavior...better effort...better grades... There were times when we would all have to reign him back in, but we all knew the outside world would judge him on his family also. (Fortunately we have awesome kids, in spite of us!) Sessions reminds me of someone who is trying so hard to appear unbiased, he has let the pendulum swing too far in the opposite direction. Instead of going in like gang busters, he's sitting back so that he doesn't appear biased. Whatever it is, he's drowning in the swamp.

• Bill Goldsby

09/04/2018 02:44 PM

I say fire Sessions as unfit for duty. Then start letting them fall like dominoes until there are none he starts hitting field office Directors that have been out from under the influence of the DC Swamp. Then maybe he'll find the right AG who will come in with the correct attitude, a stack of marching orders, a deletion of security clearances and a entourage of security staff to escort the fired staff out with just the shirts on their backs.

No more access, no more electronics and no more telltale books of what they did.

• James Oksen

09/04/2018 02:28 PM

When Sessions said his deputy Rosenstein is highly capeable and has the highest confidence in him I knew it was time for Sessions to go. That statement alone tells me Sessions also wants Trump out. He is a backstabber. Rosenstein and Sessions both need to go ASAP.

• ArlaFay Davidson

09/04/2018 01:55 PM

Hi Mike,
    Just BE patient, a little longer. I believe Sessions and his people are doing a Fantastic job behind the scenes.
    (While he and Trump keep the MSM media busy with this drama between them.)
    It will ALL be revealed soon enough!!!
    Trump is NO Dummy; he knows exactly what he's doing!!!
    And I think Sessions is having fun with this too, while they ensnare the enemy!
    (I see 'delight' in the man's eyes.)

Thanks,
    ArlaFay

• Keet Parakeet

09/04/2018 01:44 PM

Sessions is principled about his legal duties, but in my estimation he is too nice (as in setting up via 3P techies evidence recording & preservation of the rascals1 way & another should have been started by him, for all i know it may have been). I don't blame Sessions or Trump for the problems. Trump's not a lawyer, but properly acquired folks who were. He needed a nominee who had NO campaign connections to avoid the ethical requirement of recusal. (Some one who would not recuse is the legal equivalent of swamp creatures.) They didn't provide him with one. Bad them. I admit that the level of ESP required to know All the possible campaign & prior carryings on by so many persons & political parties the could lead to clean enoigh hands to avoid recusal may be in fact impossible. Sometimes there are messes which are avoidable only by switching the central character in the mess, the avoidance being by switching the central person in the mess rather than really avoiding the mess. In my estimation this is 1 such mess. Sigh.

• Jerry Holland

09/04/2018 01:44 PM

If you are really friends with Sessions why don't you call him and find out directly why He is sitting on his hands doing nothing.

• Mark Myers

09/04/2018 01:19 PM

AG Sessions DISMAL failure to INITIATE criminal investigations & proceedings against those CORRUPTwithin his OWN Justice Dept & FBI.... REIKS of Cowardice Or COVERUP.... NOT Healthy for our Democracy He SHOULD care to protect!

• Janet Brown

09/04/2018 01:15 PM

Agree!! Jeff Sessions is part of the swamp, he has shown he true colors.

• Prayers are with the USA !

09/04/2018 01:12 PM

Glad to see your show on TBN....and in the Nashville area...in all your "good time antics". please remind yourself daily that all of our enemies,adversaries, fake news gatherers....everyone in "keeping score and taking names"...It was enlightening to vhear Nikki Haley at the CUFI Conference recently...."a new day at the UN ??????" Not so fast and confident !!!!....this demands facts, knowledge, discernment.....we lack these traits....Although, your daughter Sarah, has God's favor with her (and her precious family)....Just don't bend nor cower to false gods,idols, pretense, (domestic nor foreign, nor universal ) AG Jeff Sessions needs to remain...He shines the light in all the dark places!!!! Don't destabilize Our People's AG.....especially at the expedience of any other "contenders"....You're wiser, smarter, more God-anointed than you realize....Let's "turn up the heat, the flames.....and get to the root of the facts".....Our people and the USA will thrive !! Please recall the 2001 Christmas greeting of Pres.George and First Lady Laura Bush...."for we shall see the face of the Lord in the land of the living..."

• Fran Whitley

09/04/2018 01:03 PM

Hello Governor Huckabee!

I really appreciate your insight about both John McCain and Jeff Sessions. Even though I like both men, they have only hurt Trump. This Mueller investigation is ridiculous and costing the taxpayers so much unnecessary money that somebody needs to end it immediately. I am really upset that Sessions is not working to prosecute Hillary and others from the Obama administration ... this needs to be handled by someone who will be much stronger than Sessions. I felt bad for McCain and always respected him for making it through 5 1/2 years as a POW and then returning to serve his country. However, I feel that feuding with Trump and even carrying it on "beyond the grave" has severely tarnished his image ... I definitely think a lot less of McCain for continuing to fight against Trump and help the Democrats along with their immoral platform. Just wanted to let you know that I really enjoy your show, am still hoping to see you as President one day, and think Sarah is doing a terrific job!

Thanks so much for listening!

Sincerely,
    Fran Whitley

• Fran Whitley

09/04/2018 01:03 PM

Hello Governor Huckabee!

Thanks so much for listening!

Sincerely,
    Fran Whitley

• Charles E Smith

09/04/2018 01:01 PM

Watched a little of the hearings and all I heard was the obstructionists crying about the hearing being rushed and that the administration has something to hide and they didn't receive all the documents from the judges employment before he became a judge. All they want is to delay the confirmation until after the mid terms in hopes they can retake the house. If I were a democrat I would be changing my affiliation immediately in order not to be associated with those cry babies who would do the same thing if they were the majority.

• Joseph Aponik

09/04/2018 12:51 PM

A week or two ago, I commented on the Vacancies Reform Act. I guess Judge Pirro read your email, lol.

• Tara Walsh

09/04/2018 12:48 PM

I agree wholeheartedly that Sessions needs to go. He started off recusing himself from the collusion conspiracy (demicratic set-up) and openly stated he would not pursue criminal proceedings against Hillary's emails, or the Clinton foundation in it's entirety. Two of the biggest demands of his attention necessary NOW. The American people are fed up, and disgusted with the criminality we KNOW took place in the highest echelons of our government, and the man that should be leading the charge against corruption is hiding in his closet. Enough!

• Janet Wilken

09/04/2018 12:39 PM

We will even contribute a few dollars to helping him pack and move. He’s not working for this administration. How could we be so unlucky as Obama about wrecked the Attorney and FBI offices and filled it full of corruption starting with Holder. My goodness how could we ever thought that Mr Sessions was going to support the administration who put him in. Sessions needs to end his sessions.

• Jimmieann

09/04/2018 12:20 PM

Maybe he is afraid of HRC offing him if he says anything. Kind of scary

• Mary Lunn

09/04/2018 12:11 PM

I agree with you completely. Sessions has been MIA since he started his job. I don’t know what he does except sit, collect his pay, and go home. I was thrilled when he was given the job, but now I can hardly wait until he leaves the job. We don’t need a Southern do nothing in that office. We need someone who will participate and clean house.

• David T. Armstrong

09/04/2018 12:10 PM

The Session Swamp:
    This "darned if you do, darned if you don't" tar pit benefits only the guilty and evil.
    Sessions should be fired and a replacement with someone who will focus on prosecuting the Clinton gang. There is enough evidence to do so.
    The big question is can Trump find a bulldog to see it thru.

• David T. Armstrong

09/04/2018 12:10 PM

The Session Swamp:
    The big question is can Trump find a bulldog to see it thru.

• Thomas Joseph Hussman

09/04/2018 12:09 PM

The troubles at the DOJ will never be solved by anyone at any time. You mentioned the “Money Changers” and what Jesus did. But Governor, none of the avarice was cured by tipping over tables, unless the table user had a change of heart: some probably did. President Trump should not Fire Jeff Sessions, just yet. Donald should call Jeff and renew the overall plan, with some time to get the prosecutions against Clinton and Mueller moving ahead. That was the plan, wasn’t it? I mean the DOJ was planning to prosecute the most corrupt two people in USA politics, wasn’t it? Go forth now, General Sessions, and smite the evil doers, with haste.

September 4, 2018

Nope.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

• Darrell Skondin

09/04/2018 03:24 PM

• Dee Hay

09/04/2018 03:17 PM

• James Oksen

09/04/2018 03:03 PM

• Anne Lofranco/Channon

09/04/2018 03:03 PM

• Jo Aycock

09/04/2018 02:47 PM

What about the letter of resignation that Session gave to President Trump?

• Mary Anne Berry

09/04/2018 02:45 PM

• Bill Goldsby

09/04/2018 02:44 PM

• James Oksen

09/04/2018 02:28 PM

• ArlaFay Davidson

09/04/2018 01:55 PM

Hi Mike,
    (While he and Trump keep the MSM media busy with this drama between them.)
    It will ALL be revealed soon enough!!!
    Trump is NO Dummy; he knows exactly what he's doing!!!
    And I think Sessions is having fun with this too, while they ensnare the enemy!
    (I see 'delight' in the man's eyes.)

Thanks,
    ArlaFay

• Keet Parakeet

09/04/2018 01:44 PM

• Jerry Holland

09/04/2018 01:44 PM

• Mark Myers

09/04/2018 01:19 PM

• Janet Brown

09/04/2018 01:15 PM

Agree!! Jeff Sessions is part of the swamp, he has shown he true colors.

• Prayers are with the USA !

09/04/2018 01:12 PM

• Fran Whitley

09/04/2018 01:03 PM

Hello Governor Huckabee!

Thanks so much for listening!

Sincerely,
    Fran Whitley

• Fran Whitley

09/04/2018 01:03 PM

Hello Governor Huckabee!

Thanks so much for listening!

Sincerely,

Maybe he is afraid of HRC offing him if he says anything. Kind of scary

• Mary Lunn

09/04/2018 12:11 PM

• David T. Armstrong

09/04/2018 12:10 PM

The Session Swamp:
    The big question is can Trump find a bulldog to see it thru.

• David T. Armstrong

09/04/2018 12:10 PM

The Session Swamp:
    The big question is can Trump find a bulldog to see it thru.

• Thomas Joseph Hussman