After I suggested mistaken identity as a likely explanation for Christine Blasey Ford’s certainty that Brett Kavanaugh was her attacker, an article appeared that reinforces that theory.

I had said that both Dr. Ford and Supreme Court nominee Kavanaugh seemed utterly sincere in their testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee on Thursday.  Elizabeth Loftus, a cognitive psychologist and professor at the University of California, Irvine, says it’s absolutely possible that both actually ARE sincere.  After spending decades researching human memory –- specifically, how it can change based on suggestion and other factors –- she says it’s very common to misremember details of an experience, particularly a traumatic one.

She says some “core” details might be remembered but peripheral ones not so much.  That echoes what Dr. Ford herself said in testimony, as she tried to explain why she didn’t know where the party was or how she got home.  But over time, memory changes, according to Loftus, especially with exposure to new information, and that’s something Dr. Ford didn’t go into.  “Changing the details of an actual memory is a relatively easy thing to do,” Loftus says.  “And it can happen spontaneously.”

What about victims who are “100 percent certain” of the identity of their attackers, as Dr. Ford said she was?  “Sometimes people are very, very certain and wrong,” says Loftus.  That’s just the point I was making in bringing up The Innocence Project, which uses DNA to exonerate people who were wrongly convicted and given long prison sentences for violent crimes.  There have been many innocent men sent to prison for decades because the victim in the case was “100 percent certain” of her attacker’s identification.  Literally hundreds have been exonerated through DNA testing.  Mistaken ID is the cause of 70 percent of wrongful convictions.  If victims and other eyewitnesses were always right about this, we'd have much less need for an Innocence Project.

Perhaps a victim remembers being pushed into a room or onto a bed, for example, but isn’t clear on who did it.  She’s always going to remember certain details central to the attack itself, but, over time (in this case, 36 years), other details may come to be remembered quite differently from the way they happened.  These might even include the identity of the attacker.  The victim becomes convinced of that person’s guilt and even can create vivid new “memories” of what happened.  Every time the mind replays them, they are reinforced.

Of course, someone in Kavanaugh’s situation can misremember, too, perhaps because of too much alcohol.  A perpetrator may become totally convinced he’s innocent when in fact he isn’t.  So how can we tell that Kavanaugh really is as innocent as he genuinely thinks he is?  Well, we can look at his calendar to get an idea of what he was actually doing, consider his basic nature and values, how he lives his life, what his legions of friends and colleagues (male and female) who have known him for most of his life say about him.  The allegations against him are just wildly inconsistent with what his longtime, close acquaintances know about him.  So it seems highly unlikely that he ever did such a thing.

RELATED READING:  The Kavanaugh hearings and the case for mistaken identity

Anyway, mistaken identity would account for the overwhelming probability that Kavanaugh is 100 percent innocent while Dr. Ford is 100 percent sure he’s the one who attacked her.  This is the problem with automatically believing the victim in every case.  It doesn’t mean the victim is lying, just that she’s 100 percent convinced of something that might be wrong.  Of course, that doesn’t matter one bit to Senate Democrats, who are 100 percent desperate to keep Kavanaugh (or any Trump nominee) off the Court.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  I READ THEM!

• Rada Morgan

09/29/2018 08:01 PM

I really enjoy your news bits but you are being far too generous with Ford. She and Dianne Feinstein are up to their eyebrows in deceit. She has had many years to launch her accusations but all of a sudden she "just has to do the right thing" by coming forward. She has cast a dark shadow over true assault victims. Her timing stinks! Even if it were true, and it's not, why wait 36 years to tell her story. She came across as fake as a $3 bill. I'm 69 years old and worked at a time when there were no sexual harassment laws. Believe me when I say women learned very early how to fend for themselves. Now I'm not talking about rape. You can't control that. A shame that she can destroy a man with her lies.

• Ethel L Cenkner

09/29/2018 07:57 PM

We agree about mistaken identity. Also she doesn't remember how she got there and how she got home.
    At 15 years old--going to parties like this where there is drinking--when did she start drinking--was she drinking
    at the party--what was she drinking, how much did she have--she says the boys were drunk and falling down
    the stairs---she was probably tipsy herself and got things mixed up. Because Kavanaugh was from the same
    school as the boys at the party, it was easy to put the blame on him as many Democrats would not support
    him because he was appointed by Trump. Maybe theFBI search will find out if SHE was drunk.

• Lois Barrett

09/29/2018 07:55 PM

Your explanation is certainly plausible but I guess I'm still questioning all the holed in Ms. Ford's story and some things that appear to be outright lies.
    The info now appears that second front door had to do with adding room for boarders to whom she rented rooms. That is definitely not what Ms. Ford has stated.
    I wish I could feel Ms. Ford is actually sincere and not just using this story to keep Judge Kavanaugh from being confirmed, using a ploy to destroy a good man. I wish I could but I can't.
    If Ms. Ford is willing to be investigated; if she is willing to come totally clean and no lying or changing her story perhaps I'd feel she had something to say.

• Melanie Allen

09/29/2018 07:48 PM

No one has questioned Dr. Ford’s story about the grocery store encounter. It’s just not believable that SHE would say hello to one of her attackers. After such a traumatic event I would expect her to be frightened and steer clear of him, not initiate conversation.

• EVERT J CHRISTENSON

09/29/2018 07:43 PM

As I watched Dr Ford I was of the opinion that she sounded more like a little girl than a psychologist. As a retired therapist, viewing her functioning and of her self described diagnoses I became concerned about how developed her "sexual assault" story. I recommend that the FBI psych unit explore her treatment history to see when this issue surfaced, how it was described by her and if the story changed over time. I believe she may have been victimized but the story needs to be verified. There is too much at stake to just take the word of this distressed woman.

• Betty Gayheart

09/29/2018 07:27 PM

Please do your readers a favor and edit out that hag (A.M.) from any pictures you post.

• Kimalie Webb

09/29/2018 07:20 PM

Mike,
    Mistaken identity is certainly a possibility. So is lying.

Christine Ford named four individuals who were present and could verify her account. All four refuted her claims. She acknowledges there is a fifth person that must remain nameless because she “doesn’t want him dragged into this” So, it is okay to defame a person with unsubstantiated/refuted allegations but we are going to leave the mysterious fifth person out of it?

No, this person will do more than refute her claims, he will expose her for the fraud that she is.

Give this some thought; we witnessed a victim of sexual abuse seated in a hearing room with an acknowledged abuser, Cory Booker, without the slightest bit of animus toward him. Not to mention that he was seated in a position of authority. Would the Democrats risk this unless they knew she would not be bothered by it?

This is a horrible political attack. Pray Psalm 40 for the Kavanaugh Family.

• Karin R. Miller

09/29/2018 07:19 PM

I believe Dr. Ford thinks she is telling the truth. However, after thinking about this for all of this time I believe she is mentally unstable. She spoke in the voice of a 15 year old, one could have thought she was indeed 15. I hope doctors in a position to do so will explore her situation thoroughly - I am afraid her testimony may have killed the Kavanaugh nomination which in my opinion would be a real tragedy. Am I the only one who is thinking "where were the parents of all of these 15 year olds - drinking beer after school, etc. -- no supervision?

• Barbara Ford

09/29/2018 07:16 PM

I have been watching and thinking this thing out since it happen. Watching Mrs. Ford testify, I at first felt maybe she did have some kind a event in her life as she describe. The more I watched and the more I think about it, I really believe that this woman, who has earned two Master's Degrees, a PHD and has written 66 + papers seen by her piers, and been awarded awards for her teaching and research.....how does a woman with this much schooling and education, appear like she is fragile, uneducated about life, doesn't know she has to raise her hand to be sworn, has to have words and terms explained to her, yet she can spit out technical terms about the brain and how things are processed in the brain......This is her field of expertise!!!! .It just seems awful funny that she would NOT know that she could use this
    misremember theory to her own advantage and that of the Democrats. Whether she did this independently of the Democratic Senators or completely on her own is yet to be discovered. I have heard of no support from her parents or siblings (so they would not have to purger themselves....she seems to have picked witnesses that she knew would not purger themselves but would appear unreliable because of their previous drinking problems, or mental issues. She was all willing to have an FBI investigation because she and the Democrats didn't think they could possibly get one, but now that the Republicans have acquiesced and agreed, all of a sudden she and her lawyers are not happy with a cap being put on the investigation which would inevitably mean they would run out the clock. Funny how that all worked! She now has over 900,000.00 in her Go fund me account...this whole thing stinks to high heavens in my book. Of course, none of this can be brought out, as that would make us reasonable folks look like racist somehow and attacking women....We guess what, I'm a woman too and it still looks very fishy to me! I smell a book deal.

• Debbie Black

09/29/2018 07:14 PM

It's horrible how the Kavanaugh family is being dragged through the mud. This is like the democrats. They don't care. Feinstein purposely did not follow protocol and, therefore, created this fiasco with not a care how this would impact others. I hope many democrats change party due to this. I read Psalm 40 on behalf of Ashley Kavanaugh.

• Sketter C

09/29/2018 07:11 PM

One of Dr Fords comments really concerns me... why would she try to be friendly and say hello to Kavanaghs friend Mark at the Grocery store afer the “attack” ?? Any one who has experienced an attack would not be friendly to the attackers!
    I believe something happened to Dr Ford, but I do not believe it had anything to do with Brit Kavanaugh.
    We all need to continue to pray for our country and it’s Leaders.

• Jennie Brucas

09/29/2018 07:11 PM

How are repressed memories retrieved...hypnosis...mind-altering drugs...are these reliable? I've always heard that a 'suggestion' during hypnosis could make you believe something to be true that wasn't.

• Peggy Anderson

09/29/2018 06:47 PM

It is sickening that Dem SENATORS and some GOP are really trying to destroy this man and his family with no evidence at all. I do not believe that she was attacked by Kavanaugh. Did not sound credible to me at all. Starts speaking in a little girl voice and they all feel so very sorry for her. I also had an attempted attack when I was 19 but not because I was drinking but because I ran out of has just outside the town I lived in. I remember everything about it and that was over 50 yrs ago. I was able to break free and jump out of the Cat and grabbed the steering wheel of his car and he ended up hitting a curb and stop sign. I ran to the has station he had just come from getting me a couple of gallons of gas and the owner took me to my car with gas and and got me out of the ghetto part of town. It was traumatic but I don't need medication nor do I dwell on it. With all her leftist connections, I believe She is being paid by the corrupt DNC and their rich supporters. Since supposedly her lawyers are doing this pro bono, where is all her GOFUNDME money going since it was supposedly set up to help pay legal expenses?? She gets rich and gets her 15 mins. of fame while enhancing the leftist agenda. Why does GOD allow terrible things to happen to good people likethe Trump's and the Kavanaugh's??

• Nancy Straub

09/29/2018 06:45 PM

True.

• Athina V Campbell

09/29/2018 06:39 PM

Wow, well said, thank you. Praying so much for this situation and for the LORD's Divine intervention.

• Richard Elofson

09/29/2018 06:36 PM

Great article! One should usually avoid 100% as a gauge to recollection, as it is almost always overstated. In this case, I can see that both of these persons truly believe their own view. I choose to believe the one with evidence to back up assertions.
    The very liberal Seattle Times this morning had an article about the current 3 fold increase in police complaints from women about being sexually assaulted. Of course they did not question the veracity of these claims. Memory is such a tricky biach.

• Rita Gayle Sherrill

09/29/2018 06:35 PM

This entire situation with Judge Kavanaugh and Dr. Ford is such a disgrace. I feel that my words to Republicans never get read as I never hear from them. Granted, it would be very difficult to answer everyone, but I am sure that some of the concerns are the same and could be addressed to all in one correspondence. I am so upset with the Republicans for allowing the Democrats to continue to destroy the Kavanaugh Family, for not sticking together for our country, for never accomplishing anything, for allowing people ( in elevators and paid to respond a certain way) to rule them even after they have just set through proceedings which were factual and proved without a doubt the plan of deceit and stall by the Democrats, and never think about or address the concerns of their followers. Please, if you can be heard by these people, let them know that the people that elected them want to see them lead, not follow all the time. If they can not get this qualified man into the Supreme Court, show how the deficit is being reduced, show a new plan for health care etc. before the Midterms, they will never get the votes of Independents and very likely will not be supported by many Republicans. Thank you!

• Pamela Welsh

09/29/2018 06:28 PM

This is so believable! I just wish the people on the left were willing to see truth.

• Edward Cole

09/29/2018 06:12 PM

Thanks for all that you do Gov.
    I detected several points of deception in Ms. Ford's answers to the questions raised by the Arizona prosecutor who did not have time to complete line of questioning.
    Why after 6 years (since 2012 therapy) is it important to change/alter the therapists notes?
    1) which never mentioned Kavenaugh's name and also mentioned being assaulted by 4 guys. Why was these details altered?
    2) Everyone thought she was in California and the GOP senate body were even ready to send a team to meet/interview her there, but she was nearby on the East coast and she flew there (has no fear of flying). Something fishy. Staying on the east coast costs $'s. Perhaps she stayed with parents (if still living-?), but then perhaps she was offered housing and other substantial financial perks, now and in future? It needs all checked out. Maybe she used headphones in the last 2-4 weeks with the name Bret Kavenaugh being repeated over and over to stimulate her brain cannabis so she was 100% sure it was him.

• Keethlyn Fletcher

09/29/2018 06:08 PM

It astounds me that there are many in Congress, specifically, democrats, who have said they will vote no for Judge Kavanaugh in spite of the fact that he has not been proven guilty of anything. These are close minded, small people who have gotten way more than their 15 minutes of fame. What is this country coming to when our elected representatives choose to ignore the evidence, or lack of, and decide someone's fate out of sheer hatred. I encourage the draining of the swamp for this reason.

• judy hannon

09/29/2018 06:05 PM

To me she looks like she was coached by her lawyers. She may have had something happen to her but it was not our Judge.

• Kathy Glenn

09/29/2018 06:05 PM

I completely agree with this assessment! But, how to you convince those that are quick to condemn? It seems to me that some women are trying to make him a scapegoat. I graduated HS in ‘68 and went to a party school where I got my degree. I didn’t drink or put myself in compromising situations which was hard. I dated and was popular but was careful to stay a virgin until I married. I made sure I was completely aware of what was going on around me! It can be done!

• Martha Taylor

09/29/2018 06:01 PM

Sir, you are being WAY too accommodating to Dr. Ford. That woman is lying through her teeth! She has been coached and rehearsed and most probably PAID to purposely and consciously lie about Judge Kavanaugh. She LIED under oath about her supposed fear of flying - except when she jets off to Hawaii and Tahiti to pursue her "hobbies" and to Delaware for "family vacations" that fear seems to miraculously evaporate! She lied under oath when she called herself a psychologist. She may have a PhD in psychology, but she is not now, nor has she ever been, a psychologist. Under oath she tried to pass herself off as a clinical psychologist, when she is, in fact, a statistician. And in probably the most ridiculously untruthful statement of all, she claimed not to know the meaning of the word exculpatory. Please do NOT continue to indulge the nonsense that she is in any way a victim. She has been funded by the democrats to lie, to try to destroy an honest man and his innocent family - all because they STILL cannot accept the fact that Donald Trump won. Please, sir, you KNOW in your heart of hearts what the truth is - and what is coming out of Christine Ford's mouth ain't it!

• Paul t. Kern

09/29/2018 05:53 PM

I watched some of the proceedings and it was a sham. Having been a counselor for over 30 years I too have been the brunt of false accusations but was cleared. I have seen some of the remarks and the liberal left wing will stop at nothing short of the death penalty it appears. So much character assassination is going on and likely goaded by the "haters" I continue to pray daily for our President and the country. Nothing short of a spiritual revival can save us at this time in history.

• Catherine Cook

09/29/2018 05:47 PM

Just confirm the Judge and stop this insanity!

RELATED READING:  The Kavanaugh hearings and the case for mistaken identity

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  I READ THEM!

• Rada Morgan

09/29/2018 07:43 PM

• Betty Gayheart

09/29/2018 07:27 PM

• Kimalie Webb

09/29/2018 07:20 PM

Mike,
    Mistaken identity is certainly a possibility. So is lying.

This is a horrible political attack. Pray Psalm 40 for the Kavanaugh Family.

• Karin R. Miller

09/29/2018 07:19 PM

• Barbara Ford

09/29/2018 07:16 PM

• Debbie Black

09/29/2018 07:14 PM

• Sketter C

09/29/2018 07:11 PM

We all need to continue to pray for our country and it’s Leaders.

• Jennie Brucas

• Rita Gayle Sherrill

09/29/2018 06:35 PM

• Pamela Welsh

09/29/2018 06:28 PM

• Edward Cole

09/29/2018 06:12 PM

Thanks for all that you do Gov.

• Keethlyn Fletcher

09/29/2018 06:08 PM

• judy hannon

09/29/2018 06:05 PM

• Kathy Glenn

09/29/2018 06:05 PM

• Martha Taylor

09/29/2018 06:01 PM

• Paul t. Kern

09/29/2018 05:53 PM

• Catherine Cook

09/29/2018 05:47 PM

Just confirm the Judge and stop this insanity!

RELATED READING:  The Kavanaugh hearings and the case for mistaken identity

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  I READ THEM!

• Rada Morgan

09/29/2018 07:43 PM

• Betty Gayheart

09/29/2018 07:27 PM

• Kimalie Webb

09/29/2018 07:20 PM

Mike,
    Mistaken identity is certainly a possibility. So is lying.

This is a horrible political attack. Pray Psalm 40 for the Kavanaugh Family.

• Karin R. Miller

09/29/2018 07:19 PM

• Barbara Ford

09/29/2018 07:16 PM

• Debbie Black

09/29/2018 07:14 PM

• Sketter C

09/29/2018 07:11 PM

We all need to continue to pray for our country and it’s Leaders.

• Jennie Brucas

• Rita Gayle Sherrill

09/29/2018 06:35 PM

• Pamela Welsh

09/29/2018 06:28 PM

• Edward Cole

09/29/2018 06:12 PM

Thanks for all that you do Gov.

• Keethlyn Fletcher

09/29/2018 06:08 PM

• judy hannon

09/29/2018 06:05 PM

• Kathy Glenn

09/29/2018 06:05 PM

• Martha Taylor

09/29/2018 06:01 PM

• Paul t. Kern

09/29/2018 05:53 PM

• Catherine Cook

09/29/2018 05:47 PM

Just confirm the Judge and stop this insanity!