May 10, 2017

Democrats who are falsely claiming that preexisting conditions will no longer be covered under Republican health care reform had better pray that whiplash isn’t a preexisting condition, since some of them are going to suffer it after stopping on a dime and doing a snap about-face on their demands that FBI Director James Comey be fired.

All it took was two words from President Trump (“You’re fired”) to make his critics go from screaming for Comey's head to screaming for a special prosecutor to look into this outrageous – even treasonous! – abuse of presidential power in firing him. It was even called a “coup” (odd, since that involves the overthrow of a legitimately elected leader, not the firing of a subordinate by a legitimately elected leader). According to Chris Matthews, there was a “whiff of fascism” in the firing.

I admit, it was kind of fun seeing Democrats struggle to explain why they were so outraged over getting what they’ve wanted for so long. Hillary Clinton can’t even place an order at the Jack in the Box drive-thru without blaming her election loss on James Comey. On Fox News, Tucker Carlson had to struggle like an avian dentist pulling hen’s teeth to get a Democratic spokesman to explain how he could be simultaneously happy and mad. The best the guy could manage was to darkly claim that while Comey deserved firing, the “timing was suspicious” because of the ongoing investigation of alleged Russian ties to the Trump campaign.

But if that’s his only beef, then Comey likely could’ve been fired a year from now and the timing would still be suspicious, since this Russian investigation is dragging on with no end in sight and hampering the Administration from getting on with important work, with nothing of substance to show for it. FBI insiders have been complaining that it’s one of several investigations Comey seemed to be slow-walking that should have wrapped up long ago. And news flash to Democrats: most Americans are satisfied that Hillary Clinton lost because she was Hillary Clinton, not because Boris and Natasha stuffed the ballot boxes in Oshkosh, by gosh.

As for the Democrats’ argument that if Comey deserved to be fired, then Obama Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates and Attorney General Loretta Lynch would have recommended it and Obama would have fired him, I’d reply: Are you kidding me? I could name plenty of Obama officials who deserved to be fired, but try to name any who were. If you were loyal to Obama, you could ship guns to Mexican gangsters, let Americans die on your watch and lie about it, abuse the IRS to target non-profit groups for their political beliefs, “lose” records you’re required by federal law to archive, spy on reporters, let veterans die on health care waiting lists and cover it up, drag the Little Sisters of the Poor into federal court to force them to pay for contraceptives, and even be found in contempt of Congress and still keep your job. Obama appointees may have been the only American workers who had true job security during the Obama years. That’s another reason why Americans replaced him with a man famous for saying, “You’re fired.”

President Trump made it clear that he was firing Comey on the recommendation of Attorney General Jeff Sessions and Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, who was praised for his integrity by Chuck Schumer before his 94-6 Senate confirmation vote, less than a month ago (which made Sen. Schumer’s calling for a special prosecutor to investigate the firing extra whiplash-inducing).

Rosenstein wrote a letter listing the many reasons why Comey had lost the trust of Americans in both parties, stretching from his press conference last summer that seemed to indict Hillary while declining to indict her, to just last week, when he testified before Congress that Hillary aide Huma Abedin had forwarded “hundreds or thousands” of government emails, some classified, to her husband Anthony Weiner’s unsecured, and probably unhygienic, laptop for printing. Turns out it was actually only a handful, and they weren’t classified until after the fact. Yet Comey insisted he has “no regrets.”

The public might not have paid much attention to Comey’s performance at that hearing, but it’s been reverberating through the hallways at the FBI like the “time’s up” gong on “The Gong Show.” (Read Rosenstein’s entire letter at this link:

Trump said in a statement, “The FBI is one of our Nation’s most cherished and respected institutions, and today will mark a new beginning for our crown jewel of law enforcement.” And he’s right. A recent Fox News poll found that 80% of the public trust the FBI. Meanwhile, a poll by the Hill newspaper found that only 17% of the public had a favorable view of Comey (among Democrats, who claim to be so upset by his firing, his favorable rating was 12%). Americans still respect the FBI, they just have more trust in Fox Mulder than in James Comey.

So most Americans thought Comey needed to go. I’ve thought so ever since that first Hillary press conference – and believe it or not, not because he let her off the hook, but because he so wildly overstepped his powers in doing so. He was the head of an inquiry (not even a formal investigation with subpoena powers). His job was solely to gather facts. Yet he took it upon himself to interpret the law like a judge and decide what a prosecutor and grand jury would do with those facts. He not only violated the rules of his agency, he sent a message to all Americans that if you are powerful and well-connected, you can get away with things the rest of never could. Hillary might think that the later, election-eve reopening of her case was what did her in, but I’d argue that her fate was sealed when Comey let her skate the first time. That cemented the reputation she already had as a powerful insider who thought the rules don’t apply to her. She went from merely benefiting from the double standard to being the public face of it, and just at a moment when struggling Americans were fed up to the gills with smug, unfair elitism.

Comey also symbolized a wider problem that we’ve seen with entrenched federal employees stalling, leaking and otherwise trying to undermine the new Administration. I’ve read reports of how many in Washington wanted Comey to go but were too cowed to say so because he knew all their FBI file secrets. He was described as the most powerful man in Washington. It was said that like J. Edgar Hoover, he could keep the job as long as he wanted because nobody would dare fire him. Tucker Carlson even revealed that political figures who came on his show had no fear of bashing the President on TV, but said during commercial breaks that they were too afraid to criticize Comey publicly.

Maybe it took a Trump, who’s so used to seeing scurrilous things about him in the media (like that discredited “Russia dossier”) that he doesn’t care what might be said about him, he’s going to do what he thinks needs to be done. It did need to be done, and better late than never. In the United States, the people we voters send to Washington to represent us should never have to cower before the superior powers of unelected, unaccountable bureaucrats.

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT BELOW. I READ THE COMMENTS AND I AM VERY INTERESTED IN YOUR OPINION OF PRESIDENT TRUMP'S DECISION!

• Joel

05/10/2017 09:53 PM

Interesting thoughts. As a writer, professor, and editor at www.PaperBlazer.com, I work with researchers from around the world, and as I tell them, the source of your research matters. A "Fox News poll" is too vague to help here; does that mean a poll of Fox News viewers? If so, it's common knowledge that their perspective would lean towards one party rather than the other.

• Ann Ohr

05/10/2017 09:13 PM

Their hysteria is laughable! However, the spokesperson for the White House while Sean Spicer is on guard duty was INCREDIBLE!!! I love her comment, as long as you keep asking me the same questions I will continue to give you the same answer. BOOM!

• Ann Ohr

05/10/2017 09:12 PM

• Diane Healey

05/10/2017 09:09 PM

The whole situation seems to be as clear as mud to the average citizen. It is as if they want confusion to diffuse us away from something much more deceptive about the Clinton campaign. Correct me if I'm wrong. I am no political genius and I'm not the only one feeling this way.

• Richard Bosma

05/10/2017 09:02 PM

Greetings Governor, I was appalled at the amount of supporters that voted for Bernie Sanders, it shows me how well the school & Colleges are doing in brain washing their students into becoming socialists (el al) Communists! I just cannot get over the attitude of those wimps that feel the government should give them everything needed to have a good and easy life. I cannot ask(WHAT HAPPENED?) because I've seen the destruction of the American Way since I left the service in the 50's when the free love started and venereal disease took a leap in a very short time!!

• Paula Jacobs

05/10/2017 09:01 PM

Mr. Huckabee, I am just so thankful for you and your opinions! Keep up the great work! I want President Trump to drain the swamp in Washington. I hope people are voted out and others retire. The democrats are delusional and causing division. We need to move on and work at helping all Americans and this country! I am beyond tired of the biased news and the stupid protests. People need to grow up. Thank you Mr. Huckabee! You always make my day!!

• Irinel Stanciu

05/10/2017 09:01 PM

Thank you Mr Governor! I respect you and appreciate your insight! I like to see you involved in political life! You are indeed a great person and a real patriot! God bless you!

• Betty Smith

05/10/2017 08:57 PM

Thank you Mr HUCKABEE, I am so grateful for you and other christian conservatives whom we Americans can still believe in and trust .I just turned 70 , and never before have I seen my country in such turmoil.I am so thankful for Mr Trump also .For the first time in years I have hope!

• Betty Smith

05/10/2017 08:56 PM

• Suzy Morris

05/10/2017 08:53 PM

Honestly, I'm just tired of all the democrats and their whining and absolutely outrageous behavior. The lies they spew are amazing. And the treatment of the office of the President, regardless who holds the seat, is unpatriotic, if not illegal. As for the famous actors and musicians protesting... No sweat off my nose if I pass us John Mellencamp at the Illinois state Fair. I don't want political lectures during my entertainment. Listening, Stephen Cobert??? When I want to find anything out, I know how to go to a legitimate news source. Well, that was till many of them have been caught lying to the public, such as ABC this past week. I'm just sick of the lies. I am an educated, intelligent individual that can make up HER own mind, once I sort through the garbage.

• Norma Bourne

05/10/2017 08:52 PM

Thank goodness for a leader who is not afraid to do the right thing! I am also thankful for your forthright commentary. God bless President Trump!

• Mike Fischer

05/10/2017 08:38 PM

To be honest, I did not want Trump and voted in primary for Cruz. That said, the media is foaming at the mouth trying to bring Trump down. They wanted Comey fired and when it was done, turned it around into a witch hunt. There are 2 families in the world and there is a vicious spiritual battle going on. One side is willing to kill some of their own to bring down the other family! It is very telling as to what time we are living in!

• Larry Schmid

05/10/2017 08:36 PM

Thank you, Mr. Huckabee, for always hitting the nail directly on the head - - - > "Hillary might think that the later, election-eve reopening of her case was what did her in, but I’d argue that her fate was sealed when Comey let her skate the first time. That cemented the reputation she already had as a powerful insider who thought the rules don’t apply to her. She went from merely benefiting from the double standard to being the public face of it, and just at a moment when struggling Americans were fed up to the gills with smug, unfair elitism."

• Rebecca Staples

05/10/2017 08:32 PM

The reason most of Americans voted for Trump was because we are so sick of Politicians, Now I think Comey should have been gone a long time ago but I believe Trump tried to keep him in good faith and Comey just kept showing how much he did not care for the President. If you are supposed to be there for the President then you should at least work for Him. I hope someone like Trey Gowdy becomes the leader of the FBI so that most Americans, or the Americans that matter (meaning Citizens of the United States) can gain trust again. It is ashamed that the MSM is acting like 12 year old again. Shame on them. I have to say I live in Texas and every where I go Fox is on the TV that tells me the Businesses support Trump. Some restaurants have Deplorable section and it is full all the time. LOL

• Peg Picone

05/10/2017 08:23 PM

The left's antics, the mainstream media - Just unbelievable entertainment - on a par with Monty Python. I'm getting old and weak, so I've decided to just sit back (with my popcorn) and watch. I've done all I can, now I'll trust in God to make it right.

BTW, I've become a fan of your daughter, too. God bless you both.

• Rebecca B. Davenport

05/10/2017 08:19 PM

Comey needed to go. After watching him testify last week, I believe he is about to 'snap.' On a positive note, your daughter did a phenomenal job at the press briefing today! I think she could wrestle an alligator and WIN! Miss your program on FOX!

• Debi Rogers

05/10/2017 08:18 PM

Since he overstepped his authority and basically acted as prosecutor, defense attorney, judge and jury in the Clinton email "matter", when all he was supposed to do was report the findings to Attorney General Lynch, he really should have been fired by Obama. But why was he not? Could Obama have been more about protecting Clinton, Lynch (especially after Bill met with Lynch on her airplane - talk about tampering/corruption!), and even himself than he ws about getting to the truth? I think so. Pretty simple to figure out. Shameful.

• Mary Hancock

05/10/2017 08:05 PM

Hi Governor I think you are right thank you for sharing. By the way your daughter is doing a great job.

• Bonnie Strader

05/10/2017 08:00 PM

Mike you make so much common sense, thanks. Saw your daughter press conference today she also makes common sense, hmm where do you suppose she got that?
    Bet reporters like her because she got to a lot of them with quick answers.

• Gail Biggs

05/10/2017 07:50 PM

Dear Governor : I am one of your biggest supporters! I count on you for the truth and always read your opinions! Thank you for being a man of honor and integrity during this very unsettling time in our history. Thank you for your courage in speaking out for our President and important issues! God bless and keep you. Respectfully, Gail Biggs

• Margaret Brown

05/10/2017 07:36 PM

I have never seen this degree of bullying for a President! He is criticized every day for everything he says! No wonder the youth of this country act like babies- Washington is teaching them how!!!! Our President could develop a cure for cancer and he would still be crucified, give the man a chance. People forget he's a really smart man, he is privy to knowledge that we are not! I wish Washington would grow up!!!

• Susan Jackson

05/10/2017 07:35 PM

Absolutely agree that no elected officials should ever have to cower before the superior powers of unelected. Comey stepped out of line and could not be trusted by the American people. He had to "be fired".
    Trump is cleanI guess the swamp and helping to protect the America people.
    Conservative from Texas.

• Patricia Brunner

05/10/2017 07:33 PM

President Trump must be a patient man. He gave Comey a long rope. And Comey finally hung himself along with the Democrats who called for his replacement before. Another observation on, I think, your daughter Sarah. What a great job she did on the press conference today about the firing of Jams Comey. She was prepared and witty and calm. President Trump not only surrounds himself with great men but also great women. May God continue to bless his presidency.

• Lori Haglund

05/10/2017 07:31 PM

I find the Democrats outrage to be incredibly hypocritical. They're probably just worried the new administration will re-open the investigation into how corrupt they are. I'm just glad to see President Trump drain the swamp!

• Jeff Dunlop

05/10/2017 07:29 PM

Mike, it wouldn't matter if Trump had a Vegan dinner, the Democrats would scream he was a lettuce abuser.
    Comey should have been fired long ago but Trump tried to give the guy a chance, instead he decided to play politics and it cost him in the end.
    Let em cray havoc all they wont, it'll cost them in 2020.

• Elizabeth Rotan

05/10/2017 07:25 PM

Amen! Ditto on all. My comment is: why wouldn't Jane's Comey be fired? He's got Hillary baggage, Obama baggage and even dragging out the Russian investigation baggage. Of course he should be fired for no other reason than "loss of confidence in his ability to do the job effectively." Period. All the hoopla surrounding the firing is pure theater for political soundbites for Dems and for the media to have talking points. Washington's nonsense is just getting more absurd by the minute.

• Tony Adkins

05/10/2017 07:24 PM

If " pre-existing condition " is covered, why is there any language that may make people believe it is not?
    If this language is in the bill it should state clearly that pre-existing conditions are covered.
    But if the house has passed a bill without reading how do we know for sure?
    I voted for President Trump, I just hope that this bill is the best for Americans.

• David Dorsey

05/10/2017 07:12 PM

Another Spot-On commentary Gov Huckabee! What I want to know is, why aren't you Trump's #1 Advisor? You need to be in this Administration to keep it on course!!!
    I have always been a fan of yours. Keep up the good work and don't let Trump cow tow to the Dems and Republicans.
    From a fellow Arkansan,
    Conway, AR native
    Now living in Bella Vista which is a Great place to retire.

• Paula Chaney

05/10/2017 06:57 PM

I agree and I feel it should have been done a long time ago..but then I believe strongly that Hilary Clinton should be in prison along with Barrack Obama...such blatant illegal actions would have resulted in that very thing back a few years..love what you do..keep on keeping on...

• Jean Caywood

05/10/2017 06:51 PM

I love reading your comments on things that are going on and I have to admit I leave a lot of comments on Facebook as well. Cannot stand the disrespect that is being thrown at our President Trump.

Keep up the good work for you are the only one from Arkansas that visibly shows any common sense (speaking of the Clinton's only).

• Mary DeBoe

05/10/2017 06:46 PM

You hit the nail on the head once again Governor! I'm tired of all the democrats/liberals twisting stories just to be anti-Trump. It is obvious and pathetic. I've never seen our elected officials behave so childishly! Grow up and move on. We conservatives had to for the past 8 years and remained civil.

• Shawn Crowley

05/10/2017 06:46 PM

The witch's monkey is gone!

• marie synamon

05/10/2017 06:41 PM

I agree with you Mike Huckabee. Why on earth didn't Obama fire Comey last year? He should have after mhe did a poor job in the Hillary investigastion. I think there needs to be some investigating into possible collusion between Comey, Loretta Lynch and Obama. It was very clear that something wasn't right when Comey laid out all the things Hillary did wrong and anyone else would have been prosecuted for far less than what she did and then you got Loretta meeting privately with Bill Clinton on a plane. Yeah something was up and it should be investigated and all 3 of them prosecuted. That I believe is the only reason they are now crying because Comey was fired. They are afraid that all the dirty little secrets will be found by a new FBI director that is not under their thumb. President Trump did the right thing and it doesn't matter when he fired Comey as long as he fired him in the end. Thanks Mikey. You were my first choice for president but I jumped ship when Donald entered the race. But I still love you and wish your show still came on. Your daughter Sarah is awesome! #Trump2020

• Dudley Ludwig

05/10/2017 06:40 PM

Mike this was a long time coming. It should have been done on day 1. I believe you will no see a drop in the leaks.

• Sylvia Mabry

05/10/2017 06:39 PM

I agree with you completely. I thought he should have been fired long before now.

• Sherry Grubelnik

05/10/2017 06:37 PM

Dear Governor Huckabee, yes, I am in agreement with what President Trump did with Comey. I believe it is one more step in the right direction for cleaning out the swamp. I am thankful to the Lord that we have a government now that is heading towards? righteousness.

I would also like to say that we are friends with Maurice and Devorah.

I am also wondering if you could help us trace a pair of Anderson boots that we sent to President Trump to Trump Towers before the election. Thank you once again for your stand as a man that loves God almighty, and is not timid about it. Sincerely Dale and Sherry Grubelnik?

• Susan Franc Leary

05/10/2017 06:36 PM

Mr. Huckabee you are a true patriot and Christian role model! This seems spot on! Thanks for being out there as a voice of reason in this mess! You daughter rocks it as a Trump spokesperson! In my mind she couldn't make any more sense if she tried! Trump clearly has loyal friends in the Huckabee's ! And one final note, your comment on Huma and Hillary if you ever got arrested you would say "I will have what they are having" just has sustained me in chuckles for a week! Thank you!??

• Celeste jones

05/10/2017 06:32 PM

Throw a box of ping pong balls in the air and watch them scatter. The swamp under pressure.

• Eryika Tucker

05/10/2017 06:27 PM

This is such a perfect nutshell of this entire goings on!!! I completely agree with every bit of your piece, but, particularly Comey's overreach! I kept wondering why that wasn't more of a focus.

• Angel Bulauitan

05/10/2017 06:25 PM

Few Democrats suffered such severe political whiplash over the firing of FBI Director James Comey as Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.). Over the course of just a few months, Schumer has shifted wildly on the FBI director. The Democratic leader heaped praise on Comey for decisions that benefited Democrats and tried to damn Comey for decisions that hurt Democrats. On Tuesday, Schumer suggested the decision to fire Comey was indicative of a “cover-up.” What a hypocrite.

• Nancy Wilson

05/10/2017 06:15 PM

Thank you for your refreshing view point. It
    s good to hear the truth. I apprecited the article

• Franklin Troy Hommer

05/10/2017 06:12 PM

Since James Comey wasn't fired by Obama after listing off at least 13 different charges that federally should have put Hillary in prison for years yet, nothing came of it. He DID his part.
    AG Loretta Lynch dropped the ball and colluted with the Clinton's and did NOT do her job of indictment.
    I don't think I would've fired him, I think I would have used him to bring Obama, Clinton's, Lynch, Holder and ALL the law breakers from Obama's administration to justice.
    By the way Mr. Huckabee, I've met you 4 times, I still wish you would've won the 1st time you ran.
    Also, your weightless transformation encouraged me to make a change. I am down 10% body fat, gained 6lbs in lean muscle, lost 2.5 inches off my waist in 6 weeks. My goal is my former Marine Corps size, weight and shape.
    Thank You, you are an inspiration.

• Lisa Bartlett

05/10/2017 06:10 PM

Finally he needed to go.

• Cheryl Rodriguez

05/10/2017 06:02 PM

Today is my birthday and this was an awesome gift!! My President is draining the swamp and I love it. Thank God for being merciful to our country.

• KARI L KREWSON EVANS

05/10/2017 06:02 PM

It took longer than I anticipated but the writing was, indeed, on the wall. What he did not only left the Bureau with a stench but left many of us contemplating the future of life in America. If the head of your intelligence agency is a Freudian Weasel then what, exactly, is left for the people. When there's no trust, no confidence, no belief in a system --- then really there's not much left for a given society. I am hopeful that whomever replaces Mr. Comey, will unite not only the family of the dedicated Bureau, but also the American people.

• Denna Henderson

05/10/2017 06:01 PM

I wholeheartedly agree! So few today have integrity, quite sad and maddening.

• Karen Denzine

05/10/2017 06:00 PM

Mrs Clinton's 'fate was sealed when Comey let her skate the first time' is very insightful. She really was the poster girl for elitism following the July press conference. Combine the deplorables comment with the 2 tier judicial system and the American citizens said "Enough is enough!" The media continues to overplay their importance. The November elections proved they were increasingly irrelevant. I hope the Establishment Republicans realize few people outside of Washington DC care what CNN et al. report. The bias is too flagrant to be taken seriously anymore.

• Peter Furlotte

05/10/2017 05:56 PM

I support President Trump 100%.

• Diane Malone

05/10/2017 05:45 PM

Mr Huckabee, once again your eloquence with words and ability to truly outline your argument with facts is amazing !! I love reading your opinions because I always agree with them. You are a great voice for reason in these crazy times.

• Daniel Lassley

05/10/2017 05:43 PM

You are so right on. Now I can only hope for a new Hillary investigation and charge from the DOJ.

May 10, 2017

• Larry Schmid

05/10/2017 08:36 PM

• Rebecca Staples

05/10/2017 08:32 PM

• Peg Picone

05/10/2017 08:23 PM

BTW, I've become a fan of your daughter, too. God bless you both.

• Rebecca B. Davenport

05/10/2017 08:19 PM

• Debi Rogers

05/10/2017 08:18 PM

• Mary Hancock

05/10/2017 08:05 PM

• Bonnie Strader

05/10/2017 08:00 PM

Bet reporters like her because she got to a lot of them with quick answers.

• Gail Biggs

05/10/2017 07:50 PM

• Margaret Brown

05/10/2017 07:36 PM

• Susan Jackson

05/10/2017 07:35 PM

Trump is cleanI guess the swamp and helping to protect the America people.
    Conservative from Texas.

• Patricia Brunner

05/10/2017 07:33 PM

• Lori Haglund

05/10/2017 07:31 PM

• Jeff Dunlop

05/10/2017 07:29 PM

Let em cray havoc all they wont, it'll cost them in 2020.

• Elizabeth Rotan

05/10/2017 07:25 PM

• Tony Adkins

05/10/2017 07:24 PM

But if the house has passed a bill without reading how do we know for sure?

• David Dorsey

05/10/2017 07:12 PM

From a fellow Arkansan,
    Conway, AR native
    Now living in Bella Vista which is a Great place to retire.

• Paula Chaney

05/10/2017 06:57 PM

• Jean Caywood

05/10/2017 06:51 PM

• Mary DeBoe

05/10/2017 06:46 PM

• Shawn Crowley

05/10/2017 06:46 PM

The witch's monkey is gone!

• marie synamon

05/10/2017 06:41 PM

• Dudley Ludwig

05/10/2017 06:40 PM

• Sylvia Mabry

05/10/2017 06:39 PM

• Sherry Grubelnik

05/10/2017 06:37 PM

I would also like to say that we are friends with Maurice and Devorah.

• Susan Franc Leary

05/10/2017 06:36 PM

• Celeste jones

05/10/2017 06:32 PM

• Eryika Tucker

05/10/2017 06:27 PM

• Angel Bulauitan

05/10/2017 06:25 PM

• Nancy Wilson

05/10/2017 06:15 PM

Thank you for your refreshing view point. It
    s good to hear the truth. I apprecited the article

• Franklin Troy Hommer

05/10/2017 06:12 PM

Thank You, you are an inspiration.

• Lisa Bartlett

05/10/2017 06:10 PM

Finally he needed to go.

• Cheryl Rodriguez

05/10/2017 06:02 PM

• KARI L KREWSON EVANS

05/10/2017 06:02 PM

• Denna Henderson

05/10/2017 06:01 PM

I wholeheartedly agree! So few today have integrity, quite sad and maddening.

• Karen Denzine

05/10/2017 06:00 PM

• Peter Furlotte

05/10/2017 05:56 PM

I support President Trump 100%.

• Diane Malone