December 24, 2016

Every day this week, I’m sharing “Simple Christmas” memories sent to me by my radio listeners. On Christmas, we celebrate the birth of the One who told us, “Love thy neighbor as thyself.” But sometimes, we don't realize how many people around us really do care about us.

Linda from North Carolina wrote, "Several years ago, we had a family up the hill who were having a very rough time. They had broken glass in their windows, no heat and no prospects for a nice Christmas.

We got neighbors together and one day when they were gone, the men went up and put in new glass, bought heaters and warmed up their trailer and went to get them a Christmas tree. The ladies and kids made ornaments, went to stores and got donations of toys and clothing, food and electric blankets. We all met at the trailer, cooked, decorated, put up the tree, wrapped packages, and made beds with the new blankets then went to our home to wait for them to return.

A while later, the family came running down the hill in the snow and flew into our house, trying to tell us through tears what someone had done. The mother couldn't believe that so many people cared about them. She didn't realize it, but being able to do that for them made Christmas very special for all of us."

Thank you again, Linda, for that perfect Christmas Eve story, reminding us that the gifts that give us the most satisfaction are those we give to others. Tomorrow, our final story for Christmas Day, and appropriately enough, it will leave you believing in miracles.

• Claude Meyers

12/24/2016 10:23 AM

It would be nice to have TV commentators speak of the first love gift that God gave when He sent Jesus, as the first and necessary step in providing redemption for sinners when Jesus died on the cross. We love because He first loved us. We give gifts as a reflection of God's giving to us. Christmas and Easter are inextricably linked.

• Sherry Purvis

12/24/2016 10:22 AM

As we hear these wonderful stories of giving and we realize that there really are kind and generous people in the world, we should ask ourselves if we feel good about the story, or are we also a part of the story. GOD is so with us and so constantly around us....just for the asking. Be kind, be generous....be one of those we hear the stories about. Merry Christmas and may GOD be always in your heart.

• Dean Braun

12/24/2016 10:12 AM

Great story. Very heart warming.

• Marc Olson

12/24/2016 10:05 AM

A very appropriate Christmas story...also very true, in that helping those in need also helps the giver! Merry Christmas.

• Kathy Perdue

12/24/2016 10:01 AM

This is a beautiful story of how we as Christians are to share God's love. Yes, we can tell them about our Savior, but putting our words into action is what Christ showed us in His word. Thanks for sharing Mr. Huckabee and thanks for taking a stand for Christ in the great USA! Merry Christmas!

• Judi Duffy

12/24/2016 09:41 AM

Love these stories, Gov. Mike. Wish something like this would happen for us: we're old and disabled and are having a seriously hard time just trying to stay independent and paying our bills. Only got $4 increase on SS, but electricity went up $12. We need physical help and money just to get started on the new year on an even footing and no one seems to care, not even in our church. We can no longer contribute so now we no longer count, it seems. I'm heartbroken but blessed by these stories that some may be uplifted, knowing that God is continuing to sift us and perfect us thru trials. God bless you and yours today and always.

• Donald Lyon

12/24/2016 09:37 AM

The value of Christmas is not the PRESENTS under the tree, but the PRESENCE of God in our homes.

• James D Marshall

12/24/2016 09:31 AM

Linda expressed the true spirit of Christmas that should guide our lives all year long. The one who seeks to save his life will lose it. But, the one who gives his life for Christ's sake, will find it. True life is found in giving.

• Aaron Nowling

12/24/2016 09:26 AM

Mike, it is a joy to hear such a wonderful and caring story. Hopefully all the love in world can cancel out all the hate.

• Judy Smith

12/24/2016 09:21 AM

I am one of those people who stayed at home after college and the "old maid" never lived separately from my parents (first both, then just my mother) except for one year when I was working on my masters degree. I even have advice for those who would like to live with their parents until they have resources to be paying for all that they would need, but that's another story.

On the Christmas after my dad died, my mother and I bundled up small packages that she and a group of ladies had collected that year at their Christmas party. Instead of bringing exchange gifts to share, they decided to pay the same amount (in those days $1.00) to buy something they thought someone in a nursing home would like. You know those things like a compact, lotion, hard candy, etc. to be shared around the Birmingham area in all the nursing homes, first with people they knew and then to give the extras to people who didn't have anyone visiting them on Christmas.

Of course, these people couldn't come bursting into our house to tell us how good "Santa" had been to them; but they were so excited that we had taken time out of our day to visit with them. We tried to make the visits just long enough.

We were a very close family, and there was a sense of loss because my dad had been gone just two weeks short of one year; but it was such a day of blessing that I don't think my mother really felt the loss as we were able to minister to these ladies in some small way.

As I sit here forty-five years later writing this, I'm picturing one of those things in Heaven that of course cannot be nearly as wonderful as we imagine. But my mind seems to flow to picturing Mother and these friends sharing now how much they enjoyed the whole month of December, 1970. Some of them remember buying and wrapping their gifts (each having gone overboard and bought more than the one that was expected) and the recipients remembering that the Smith ladies spent a few minutes with them on that Christmas afternoon. Hmmmmmmm....... Wonder if any of them will recognize me. Not sick or anything, but I know 78 is closer to the "sweet by and by" than to the "wonder past and gone" that I've enjoyed all these years.

• Christy Vaughan

12/24/2016 09:16 AM

Love your neighbors as you love yourself. Jesus changes hearts. Remember God's gift to mankind of Jesus' love. Merry Christmas!

• Pat Hanson

12/24/2016 09:15 AM

What a beautiful story! The true story of Christmas is about Jesus Christ's birth and why He came!
    His destiny was the cross!
    His purpose was love!
    His reason was you and me!
    But this story is a beauty because of its giving to others in need and out of love, and not expecting anything return. Still if we do such things out of love, we receive blessings from our great and mighty GOD in other ways that we may be unaware of! Also, our hearts feel good, warm and rewarded for making someone's life a bit better and happier! Merry and blessed Christmas and coming year!

• Shirley M Johnson

12/24/2016 09:15 AM

Dear Mike, We read your emails to us everyday and we respect your opinion.
    Thank you for keeping us informed on all that is going on. We keep all our political
    folks in our prayers, especially the Trump family as they make this transition.
    God Bless you and Merry Christmas! The Johnson's

• Michael Hillier

12/24/2016 09:12 AM

Very nice , Thank You and Merry Christmas

• Bill Stein

12/24/2016 09:08 AM

Heartwarming and brought a tear to my eye. Thank you for letting us know that there is still some human in humanity.
    Merry Christmas and God Bless you.
    Bill Stein

• Jill Allerton

12/24/2016 09:08 AM

This really blessed me and reminded me of a blessing I had received. Many years ago when I was financially in need before I got a job - I was on Social Security only. I came home from somewhere and lo and behold on my porch was a money tree around Christmas time. I discovered that my neighbors had gotten together and placed money on a little Christmas tree. I sort of was in shock for awhile and actually wondered if it was real. It was real all right. This was such an amazing gift. God is so good.

• McCloud Alton

12/24/2016 08:52 AM

There are good people left.
    Praise God!
    Merry Christmas!

• kurien A. Kodiattu

12/24/2016 08:52 AM

Yes Governor....
    We have made, Christmas, WHAT IT SHOULD NOT BE.....
    This Child, born in Bethlehem, was born, so that we would let him be BORN IN EACH ONE OF OUR HEARTS... However, we have ALL missed the point...Realistically! there is no religion, called Christianity. Jesus called us, NOT to join a group or a party...He called us TO FOLLOW HIM... & that is the difference, this Faith In Him, has, as compared to other "fake faiths"... I was born in India, & hence, say what I say. If Hinduism, in Pantheism, was great, then, why did Gautama Buddha leave Hinduisim, & go into a life called Buddhism? If Moh'd was genuine, then, why was the Meccan (so-called) writings, different from the Medinic ones? God does NOT need my recommendation, but, when the Word of God says, "for unto us, a child is born, unto us a Son is given" I am reminded, that, yes, a Child was born, but a SON was NOT....a Son was GIVEN... I just Pray, for our Country, that Mr. Trump & the leaders he has chosen, will seek Gods Will, and be in the centre of it...As for us, WE THE PEOPLE, we should be on our knees Praying for the WELL BEING of our people & or Country.....
    Blessings....

• Robert k ward

12/24/2016 08:51 AM

Thanks for the story

• Philip LaVallie

12/24/2016 08:49 AM

Thank you, Pastor Mike, for the Christmas story! And, thank you for your enduring wisdom and witness to this country regarding our political affairs. God bless and protect you and yours. God bless America.

Merry Christmas!
    P.A.L.

• Dave Sullivan

12/24/2016 08:49 AM

Wonderful story about a great group of people, thanks for sharing.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and yours.

Dave

• Roberta Copen

12/24/2016 08:48 AM

I love the stories you have posted and they all have been a blessing to know others still care! God bless you! Thank you for sharing!

• Jacqueline Diane Lee

12/24/2016 08:46 AM

Enjoyed the Christmas story! Also, thank you for keeping us informed on current affairs. I appreciate your stand and your love for our country! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

• Rhesa Cook

12/24/2016 08:40 AM

This was a wonderful heart warming story. Thanks for sharing.

• Bob Miller

12/24/2016 08:26 AM

Mike, This is a great story and comes at a perfect time of year. It's a great reminder of how simple acts of kindness can have such an impact on the givers as well as the recipients. Thank you for sharing!

Merry Christmas!

• Larry Garrett

12/24/2016 08:25 AM

Your stories warm my heart. Good people exist everywhere. God is alive and well!

December 24, 2016

• Claude Meyers

12/24/2016 10:23 AM

• Sherry Purvis

12/24/2016 10:22 AM

• Dean Braun

12/24/2016 10:12 AM

Great story. Very heart warming.

• Marc Olson

• Judy Smith

12/24/2016 09:21 AM

• Christy Vaughan

12/24/2016 09:16 AM

• Pat Hanson

12/24/2016 09:15 AM

His destiny was the cross!
    His purpose was love!
    His reason was you and me!

• Shirley M Johnson

12/24/2016 09:15 AM

Dear Mike, We read your emails to us everyday and we respect your opinion.
    folks in our prayers, especially the Trump family as they make this transition.
    God Bless you and Merry Christmas! The Johnson's

• Michael Hillier

12/24/2016 09:12 AM

Very nice , Thank You and Merry Christmas

• Bill Stein

12/24/2016 09:08 AM

Merry Christmas and God Bless you.
    Bill Stein

• Jill Allerton

12/24/2016 09:08 AM

• McCloud Alton

12/24/2016 08:52 AM

There are good people left.
    Praise God!
    Merry Christmas!

• kurien A. Kodiattu

12/24/2016 08:52 AM

Yes Governor....
    We have made, Christmas, WHAT IT SHOULD NOT BE.....
    Blessings....

• Robert k ward

12/24/2016 08:51 AM

Thanks for the story

• Philip LaVallie

12/24/2016 08:49 AM

Merry Christmas!
    P.A.L.

• Dave Sullivan

12/24/2016 08:49 AM

Wonderful story about a great group of people, thanks for sharing.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and yours.

Dave

• Roberta Copen

12/24/2016 08:48 AM

• Jacqueline Diane Lee

12/24/2016 08:46 AM

• Rhesa Cook

12/24/2016 08:40 AM

This was a wonderful heart warming story. Thanks for sharing.

• Bob Miller