July 10, 2018

Last night, in a bit of expertly crafted reality TV that showed President Trump’s mastery of the medium, he announced that he was nominating Judge Brett Kavanaugh of the DC Court of Appeals to replace Anthony Kennedy on the Supreme Court.

While not the pick many staunch conservatives were hoping for (Kavanaugh’s rulings include finding that the government's mass gathering of metadata doesn’t violate the Fourth Amendment and that abortion rights are settled law under Roe v. Wade; and one study ranked him the fifth-most conservative judge on the 11-member DC Court), he was widely considered the safest pick.  Kavanaugh has a long history of reliably non-activist rulings that were upheld by the SCOTUS.  Trump read off his sterling resume (educated at Yale; teaches law at Yale, Harvard and Georgetown, former law clerk to Justice Kennedy, etc.)  He also gave examples of Kavanaugh’s sterling character: his mother was both a teacher at an inner city minority school and a pioneering female prosecutor and judge; and he tutors children in public school, coaches his daughter’s basketball team and helps his priest serve meals to the homeless.)

Kavanaugh's telegenically-perfect family was also on hand to support him: his highly-accomplished wife and his two appealingly spunky daughters.  He talked of his love of family, his devotion to community and the Constitution, and his goal of giving all cases a fair hearing.  He even had bipartisan support in the past: he was appointed to the DC Court by George W. Bush (who issues a statement strongly praising Trump’s choice) and was hired to teach law at Harvard by then-dean Elena Kagan.  You couldn’t have created a more perfect scene if you’d gotten Kavanaugh and his family from Central Casting and let Aaron Sorkin script it.

And what was the Democratic response?  It reminded me of the “Simpsons” episode where the town of Springfield unveils a statue of Jimmy Carter and the citizens scream, “He’s history’s worst monster!” and riot.  The gap between the overwhelmingly qualified, picture-perfect jurist, family man and community leader and the worse-than-Hitler demon depicted by the screaming left was enough to make your head spin.  But then, as comedian Dennis Miller tweeted earlier, Trump could have nominated either Amy Coney Barrett or Vladimir Putin, “and the headlines would be exactly the same.”

In fact, the utterly predictable, over-the-top, end-of-the-world denunciations of this man by Chuck Schumer, MSNBC talking heads and all the other usual suspects (bear in mind, the Democrats stalled his DC Court nomination for three years before he was finally approved by the Senate by a 21-point margin) provided a perfect example of why it’s so hard for conservatives to do comedy these days.

Liberals would have you believe it’s because they’re the only ones with a sense of humor, a fallacy they disprove on a Daily (Show) basis.  Actually, it’s just impossible for anyone on the right to make up a humorously exaggerated cartoon version of the left that they don’t surpass in reality almost as soon as the joke is made.  Case in point: two days ago, I suggested with tongue-in-cheek that they’d already written the “Trump’s nominee is Hitler!” press releases and were just waiting to “insert name here” before sending them.

Not only did that turn out to be literally true, but someone at the Women’s March actually sent it out without remembering to fill in all the blanks first.  They distributed a fire-and-brimstone denunciation of Trump’s “extremist” nominee, referred to in the opening paragraph as “XX.” One wag on the Internet said he couldn’t figure out why the feminists at the Women’s March hated the female chromosome so much.

In short: Grab your popcorn, the Grand Guignol political theater has now begun.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  I READ THEM!

• Roger Young

07/13/2018 04:36 PM

Mike, first let me say you haved raised a fine daughter and we all need to be praying for her daily on what she is going through. Most people do not realize the tremendous pressure that is placed on her every single day. Please let her know millions of us love her, admire her, and hope she can hang on til the battle is won. Second, my son and daughter in law are friends of the Kavenaughs and believe that he will be an outstanding Supreme Court Justice. They worked hard to help get Justice Gorsich confirmed and I believe they will do the same to see Bret Kavenaugh confirmed if asked.
    I was proud to see them in the audience at the White house when both men were nominated.

• Pamela Chambers

07/13/2018 04:02 PM

Mr. Huckabee, I really would have chosen Judge Barrett! I think Judge Kavanaugh is too moderate. We need a strong conservative to truly get our Country back. Thank you for all you are doing for us! Blessings

• Vicki Coggins

07/13/2018 03:59 PM

I wish I could be excited about Kavanaugh, but I'm not. I'm disappointed that Pres. Trump selected him, since he is and has been so much a part of the swamp that Trump professed to want to drain. I've read some of his rulings, and I just don't feel good about him. Yes, he's done great volunteer work, and yes, he has a picture-perfect family, but that does not a good judge make. It takes far more than that to qualify as a first-rate/top-notch Supreme Court judge. And - anyone who is endorsed by the Bushes is highly suspect, as we know how underhanded and conniving they were and still are. I hope he proves me wrong and I'm pleasantly surprised with his actions on the bench.

• Karen Cooney

07/13/2018 12:19 PM

It's so, so sad, but as you know not new. This has been going on since the birth of our wonderful nation! The only two exceptions are: 1( When we had an African American as POTUS and everyone was too afraid of being labelled as racist if they spoke out (except FOX News and 700 Club); 2(When speaking your mind landed you in a duel!
    Thank you for your brilliant insight, and raising such a beautiful, strong daughter!

• Edith Dean Stephenson

07/12/2018 02:09 PM

He was appointed to the DC Court by George W. Bush. Any affiliation he had with the Bushes discourages me because Bushes did so many things against America under the guise of smiles & humility. All, while they held hands with the Clinton's'. It makes me suspect he may run along the side of Clinton's and Bushes. He may even be a globalist as are Cheney, Cinton's and Bushes. Had he no affiliation as mentioned above, I would feel more positive toward what to expect of him. I feel: "You are who you run with!"

• Jim Standifer

07/12/2018 11:08 AM

Love you Mike!! Keep up the good work!!

• Regina

07/12/2018 12:32 AM

Hello,
    First off thankyou for taking the time to read my comment, and 2nd I love your show on TBN.
    I'am a conservative and I'am so happy that our president trump is doing the hard efforts for our country, I love that he is working so hard, but I'am not sure on what will happen for the selection on the new judge. I realy hope and pray that he does a good job an not lean to the left side and stay in his lane to make the right choices. And We all know their are some conservatives in office right now that talk out of the both sides of their mouths they start out saying what they will do and then later only to side with the left. makes me angry. Have a nice day and God bless america.

• Gwendolyn Partain

07/11/2018 11:56 PM

I think Kavanaugh will do a fine job. President Trump did great.

• Ella Blue

07/11/2018 10:51 PM

I am a Conservative, but I am not for Kavanaugh. You need to go back and check his past affiliations and how he dealt with the Vince Foster trial. He's a swamp creature.....I won't go on. Just don't be so sure that he's so spectacular - many conservatives (not just the strict ones) are saying, "no thanks"!

• Aggie

07/11/2018 10:46 PM

Tom Heneghan and Stew Webb unloaded on Trump’s pick for the Supreme Court – Brett Kavanaugh! This guy should be in prison! Here’s just a few tidbits of knowledge Tom Heneghan knows about this guy! Tom knows now President Trump is being blackmailed to make this choice!

Trump was told by swamp creature Mitch McConnell he MUST do this and Trump obeyed like a little puppy dog I guess. I really thought Trump had more guts than this. If he would have simply picked up the phone and talked to Tom Heneghan about all the dirt on Cavanaugh as many patriots urged him to do he wouldn’t have had to go through the firestorm this will cause. The democrats are going to tie Cavanaugh crimes to the criminal Bushes as they should! They will use this association to hurt Trump further. This was a deep state trap and Trump fell for it hook, line and sinker! I could tell by watching Trump he didn’t look good – he didn’t look happy about it to me.

Tom knows why Trump has been cucked by the deep state and discusses in the program. It’s my personal opinion that America will never get justice now unless there is some type of intervention by the military. Rudy Giuliani who is guilty of 9/11 crimes is blackmailing Mueller and Mueller is blackmailing Giuliani and Trump! It’s a mexican blackmail standoff and the American people lose while the guilty get away with all their crimes as usual.

We didn’t elect Trump to bring in Bush stooge John Bolton, Neocon war monger whack job Nikki Haley and Bush deep state scumbag Brett Cavanaugh. I’m very disappointed in Trump right now. Very disappointed he is being forced to do the bidding of the deep state and nothing is changing. He’s refusing to pay Lee Wanta even though it’s been ordered. He put in a Goldman Sach’s scumbag for Treasury who thinks he can steal the Wanta money for the banks I guess. I don’t even know if Trump knows about Lee Wanta and the court order since Trump has been isolated from knowing anything about Wanta in my opinion by the deep staters around him. Trump actually listens to the traitor Sean Hannity every night so what do you expect. Hannity is a Bush stooge who lied us into war that killed millions but Trump must have a short memory on who supported the evil Bushes and still does to this day!

Heneghan reports Cavanaugh is Yale Skull and Bones! Is there any surprise since he worked for Skull and Bones GW Bush! You can’t be in any secret society and be a Christian so Cavanaugh serves satan whether he realizes or not. God forbids Christians from joining secret societies of any type. Good deeds are done in the light of day, evil is done in the dark.

Tom says Cavanaugh worked with Kenneth Star to coverup the Vince Foster murder and subsequent raid of his office by Hillary Clinton of all the documents! Roger Stone agrees with this information.

He also worked with Bush stooge Larry Nichols the deep state operative who made sure Clinton wasn’t forced out of office. Nichols is still ripping off patriots for money and has been pushed by Alex Jones who still censors SES and refuses to put on patriots like American Intelligence Media.

Cavanaugh covered up the Bush Clinton Mena Arkansas operation.

Cavanaugh loved one of the most evil men on this planet who supports the Nazi Bushes – Karl Rove – head swamp monster and Never Trumper! You KNOW Trump has to be blackmailed to be putting in all these Bush scum!

Deep state traitors John McCain, Rod Rosenstein, Mitch McConnel and Sean Hannity LOVE him!

“In selecting Judge Brett Kavanaugh to fill the vacancy left by Justice Kennedy, President Trump has chosen a nominee with impeccable credentials and a strong record of upholding the Constitution,” McCain said in a statement.”

Sorry but when swamp dweller and Never Trumper John McCain says you did GOOD, you know you just screwed up BIG TIME!

Giuliani, Trump, Mueller and Rosenstein are all now blackmailing each other and the end result of it all will be nobody from the deep state will go to jail!

Roger Stone correctly stated some of the facts about this terrible choice in his recent article. Jones tried to spin this as maybe it’s not so bad but let’s face it, it’s obvious Trump was forced to make this pick by the deep state! He’s blackmailed! Here’s a snippet from Stone’s article.

“I have grave reservations that Judge Brett Kavanagh is another David Souter or John Roberts- both of whom were appointed by Bush presidents and both of whom joined the liberal block on the court on key issues where their decisions hurt America.

Put aside the question of whether Clinton lawyer Vince Foster was murdered or died by his own hand; there is substantial credible evidence that Foster’s body was moved and that prosecutor Brett Kavanaugh ran a veritable terror campaign against an inconvenient witness who’s honest testimony would contradict the findings of the Special Counsel for home Kavanaugh worked.

The tactics Kavanaugh used on this witness, Patrick Knowlton, include bullying, intimidation, witness tampering, and surveillance. Does a man who engages in these types of abuse of power have the temperament for the US Supreme Court?

Mr. Knowlton’s extensively detailed and documented lawsuit over his treatment at the hands of Brett Kavanaugh can be found online.”

• Nana2Thirteen

07/11/2018 07:54 PM

For those who are concerned that Kavanaugh is not as conservative as you would have preferred, remember that it's likely there will be at least one more SCOTUS appointment under Trump's administration. I believe he actually has this factored into his choice and the next appointment will be a sterling conservative nominee who will be easier to get through the approval process because by then we'll have a larger majority in the Senate. Yes, it's a gamble, but taking into account the track record of POTUS, I'd say his calculations are pretty much on spot! Instead of bemoaning this nomination, let's pray for God to continue to open the eyes of all SCOTUS justices to the need to interpret the Constitution as written and stop trying to re-invent the sacred document on which this great nation was founded. And, it won't hurt to pray that God will open the door for that next vacancy as soon as He deems appropriate in order to strengthen the influence of the Constitution on our great United States. Amen!

• Marlene Sell

07/11/2018 06:41 PM

If G.W. endorsed him, i don't trust him.

• Carol Mulshine

07/11/2018 01:09 PM

Dear Gov. Huckabee,

I think no matter who President Trump picked, they would go all out & balk.
    But as much as I approve the Nominee, I have some things bothering me.
    1. He wouldn't try to reverse Roe vs. Wade.
    2. He was with the Bush's, a negative IMO.
    3.He went to Yale. I don't like their "Scull & Cross Bones" Club! (Both Bushes were in it). I don't know if he was.
    4. The Abortion issue ......vague.
    5. Our country is allowing too much to go on. "Give them an inch & they'll take a mile."
    6. Too many things are happening that shouldn't be and they are going too far.
    7. Someone has to put a halt to all this insanity. The law is not being withheld.

I guess I could go on & on, but I am sure you know what I mean.
    The lack of love, kindness & civility in America is lacking in too many circles.
    Thank God , not in all.
    People like you are so important for all of us Americans.
    Please keep up your good efforts. BTW, Sarah is a wonderful person & daughter!
    Well done good & faithful servant! God bless you & yours.
    Best regards,
    Carol

• Joseph G. Goss Sr.

07/11/2018 09:55 AM

The reaction of the Democrats would be laughable if they had no power at all. I don't know how they can even take themselves serious as the positions that they take are comical. And the fact that there are so called Americans who support them is troubling.

• kenmoore

07/11/2018 07:44 AM

Kavanagh selection has many second amendment people concerned like myself his weak position has my concern
    guns are a hot topic and dear to America if it were not for guns we would speak a different language

• Brenda J Holtz

07/11/2018 12:16 AM

Love you & your daughter! Thanks

• Rosemarie Kaupp

07/11/2018 12:14 AM

Thank you, Governor for your excellent commentary. Yet, I am so weary of the anger and hatred on the left and the organized paid protesters rousing up the crowds. Things will only get worse towards the elections. and what about Judge Kavanaugh's poor family? What will they be put through by these crazies who know know bounds. I see no end in sight for the president, his staff, appointees or conservatives. Other than prayer, Governor, how can we restore sanity and civility to our country and the media. To one another as Americans. Where do we start?

• Miriam Spears

07/11/2018 12:09 AM

Thanks Huckabee for listening to the people. In my opinion President Trump named a great choice in Brett Kavanaugh for the next Supreme Court Justice. Now we have to get him confirmed by Senate. The impossible will just take a little longer. The left will fight it but we will win because he is, a good family man and apparently has been and will continue to support and defend the Constitution. Thanks trump for keeping your promises.

• Susan Skala

07/10/2018 11:48 PM

I am hopeful that Judge Kavanaugh was a good choice but seeing GW Bush and John McCain are delighted made me concerned. I pray he isn't another RINO.
    Love you Mike and always appreciate your insight and sense of humor!

• Elaine Orr

07/10/2018 11:31 PM

Not to sound crazy but I do wait to hear from you so I can be intelligent about what I believe. Until I retired I did not have time to be too involved in all this. Takes time and some smart input these days. Thanks for your daily emails, thoughts and common sense. Yes, Sarah is the star. We can't all be stars but we can all shine!!! Thanks Gov

• PAMELA MAYHEW

07/10/2018 10:32 PM

I am always for a Constatutionalist

• HELEN BARNETT

07/10/2018 10:22 PM

I'M A STRONG 72 YEAR OLD CHRISTIAN CONSERVATIVE. I MAY NOT AGREE WITH THE HONORABLE JUDGE KAVANAUGH'S DECISIONS HE MAKES IN THE FUTURE FOR THE MOST HIGH LEGAL POSITIONS THIS COUNTRY HAS.
    HOWEVER, THAT BEING SAID, I SUPPORT OUR PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. I VOTED FOR HIM, RESPECT HIS LOVE FOR AMERICA AND THAT IS HIS JOB TO NOMINATE THE BEST PERSON FOR THIS HONORED POSITION.
    AMERICA HAS LACKED REAL LEADERSHIP FOR TOO MANY YEARS. PRES. TRUMP IS LEADING! AMEN TO THAT!!

• Stephen John Mattia

07/10/2018 10:01 PM

Governor - we need the best candidate - the strongest conservative on that list of 25 - not a smart or clever pick - not a photogenic person but an individual who will not turn left at the surge of opposition. We need someone who will reverse bad precedent not keep it...This is a bad choice and squanders the time we have left to shore up the court.

• Stephen John Mattia

07/10/2018 09:55 PM

• Patricia Brahm

07/10/2018 09:19 PM

Although not my choice, at least the list had conservatives on it! It does bother me that he teaches at Harvard, which is such a liberal college. If he sticks to his words in his speech, and interprets the law according to the Constitution, we should be okay. This was a two for one deal with regards to the DC Appeals court will have an open seat for a conservative now, and I would like to see Barrett get that seat so she can gain some experience in opinion writings and insight into DC before next SC seat opens up. We listened to Brett Kavanaugh's words, now it is up to him to prove them. As always, I wish him and America the best. I support out President Trump since 2015 and his America First Agenda 100%.

July 10, 2018

In short: Grab your popcorn, the Grand Guignol political theater has now begun.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  I READ THEM!

• Roger Young

07/13/2018 04:36 PM

• Pamela Chambers

07/13/2018 04:02 PM

• Vicki Coggins

07/13/2018 03:59 PM

• Karen Cooney

07/13/2018 12:19 PM

• Edith Dean Stephenson

07/12/2018 02:09 PM

• Jim Standifer

07/12/2018 11:08 AM

Love you Mike!! Keep up the good work!!

• Regina

07/12/2018 12:32 AM

Hello,

• Gwendolyn Partain

07/11/2018 11:56 PM

I think Kavanaugh will do a fine job. President Trump did great.

• Ella Blue

07/11/2018 10:51 PM

• Aggie

07/11/2018 10:46 PM

Cavanaugh covered up the Bush Clinton Mena Arkansas operation.

• Nana2Thirteen

07/11/2018 07:54 PM

• Marlene Sell

07/11/2018 06:41 PM

If G.W. endorsed him, i don't trust him.

• Carol Mulshine

07/11/2018 01:09 PM

Dear Gov. Huckabee,

I think no matter who President Trump picked, they would go all out & balk.
    But as much as I approve the Nominee, I have some things bothering me.
    1. He wouldn't try to reverse Roe vs. Wade.
    2. He was with the Bush's, a negative IMO.
    4. The Abortion issue ......vague.
    6. Too many things are happening that shouldn't be and they are going too far.

I guess I could go on & on, but I am sure you know what I mean.
    Thank God , not in all.
    People like you are so important for all of us Americans.
    Please keep up your good efforts. BTW, Sarah is a wonderful person & daughter!
    Well done good & faithful servant! God bless you & yours.
    Best regards,

• Rosemarie Kaupp

07/11/2018 12:14 AM

• Miriam Spears

07/11/2018 12:09 AM

• Susan Skala

07/10/2018 11:48 PM

Love you Mike and always appreciate your insight and sense of humor!

• Elaine Orr