The Shutdown

December 23, 2018

Well, the government (or certain non-essential parts of it) is shut down after Senate Democrats refused to pass a temporary funding bill because it included $5.7 billion to build a security wall on our Southern border.  If you needed any explanation to make it clear why the government is shut down, here is a direct quote from Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer:

"It will never pass the Senate, not today, not next week, not next year. So President Trump, if you want to open the government, you must abandon the wall, plain and simple."

So in short, the government is shut down because Democrats absolutely, positively refuse to fund a border wall – something that Presidents and Congress members of both parties have repeatedly claimed to back for about 30 years, up until Trump actually wanted to keep their promise and now they’re outraged (it’s the “move our Embassy to Jerusalem” story all over again.)

Also to be clear, the Democrats’ argument that they oppose a border wall because it’s a waste of tax money is funnier than anything any poor cowed comedian has dared to say all year.  The last time Democrats were fully in charge of the federal budget, they went for years without even writing one, and gave us trillion-dollar-plus deficits for the first time in history.  As one analyst put it, $5.7 billion in a $4.22 trillion budget is a “rounding error.”  I’d say that to Democrats, it’s sofa cushion change.

The Democrats are trying to shift blame by claiming that “President Trump got what he wants: a government shutdown.”

Please!  Are they that stupid or do they assume we are?  They know what Trump wants, we know what Trump wants, and if there are people on Mars, they know what Trump wants: he wants a border wall!  He’s only been saying it for about three years now.  No, the truly shocking revelation here is on the Democratic side.  Mark this down for the history books:

ON DECEMBER 22, 2018, THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY OFFICIALLY DECLARED PRESERVING ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION TO BE MORE IMPORTANT TO THEM THAN GOVERNMENT.

As a kid growing up in Arkansas, I was surrounded by Democrats.  As a Governor, I had to deal with a heavily-Democratic legislature.  As a media figure, I’ve had to scrutinize, analyze and interview Democrats.  And through all that time, and the many changes in that party’s views, from electing former KKK leaders to insisting that men be allowed to use women’s toilets, one thing has remained constant: Democrats were the “Tax and Spend Party” of big government.  There was no aspect of life so personal or trivial that they thought it could not be improved by adding a big, stinking pile of government.

But on this date, that has officially changed.  They've now taken a stand to declare something more important to them than keeping the government open or spending money: protecting open borders and illegal immigration. They can deny it all they like, but you don’t abandon your wife of 50 years for your mistress unless you really prefer the mistress. Democrats would now prefer to see the government shut down than spend what to them is a pittance on a measure to increase border security that they have claimed to support for years when they never imagined they’d actually have to do it.

As for me, I am going to ponder this new political paradigm as I take time off to enjoy Christmas.  And I’m going to put on some Christmas music and ignore the liberal talking heads who are trying to convince us all to panic because non-essential government offices will be closed on Sunday, Christmas Eve and Christmas.  Really bad timing there for the Liberal Media Panic-Generating Machine.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

Jussie Smollett Update

Our National Emergency

• Betty Bowers

12/23/2018 10:41 PM

Mr. Huckabee,
    I want to thank you for standing up for what is right.That is for both God and goverment!I supported you in you presidential race and now support you in your backing of president Donald Trump.I was raised in the hills of eastern Ky. coal mines ( few miles from Loretta Lynn's Butcher Holler).Grew up poor but rich in faith.I am one of nine children and never had indoor plumbing until I married at 16(way too young).The Lord as has blessed my husband and I with 49 years of marriage.My husband will be 71 March 2019 and still works full time.We had coal trucks and trucked coal for almost 30 years in eastern Ky.Since the coal industry died and my husband was not ready the the rocking chair.He now has a maintaince and repair shop for tractor trailers.
    Thank you for your leadership and wanting to save our country.You want to keep God in our government and values.We now have a president that supports what our government was founded on.If only these liberals would leave him alone to run our country.

I want to thank you again for all you do and still put your faith first.I enjoy your TBN Huckabee show,your books and your love for chocolate gravy!

Sincerely,
    Betty Bowers

• Jim Crownover

12/23/2018 10:22 PM

As a retired federal employee, I have been through several government "shutdowns". Shutdowns are not as big of a bugger as folks think. Most federal employees are paid on a per annum basis, so they get paid whether the government runs or not. The only losers are people who depend on personal services from the government during a shutdown. In this year's shutdown, I hope that the President holds the line, as a closed southern border offers more benefits than limiting illegal immigration. During the post 9/11 closing of the border, of course, our national security was enhanced, but heroin smuggling trickled down to nearly nothing. There are more benefits from an impassible, controlled border than just immigrants.

• Warren Stetson

12/23/2018 10:08 PM

Mike,
    It's the Democrat Party, not the Democratic Party. There is nothing democratic about that party.

• GARY HAMMOCK

12/23/2018 10:03 PM

Well Mr. Mike, I have already emailed President Trump about my advice to him and that is to increase his demand nearer to what it started out to be and to not sign any bill of any kind that does not have wall funding and keep the government shut down till hell freezes over or he gets his Wall. He should act like the democrats and use any means necessary. You can't deal with democrats. If you give in a little they will demand more. Damn them all. Thanks for what you do, Gary Hammock from Zebulon Ga.

• Robert Turner

12/23/2018 09:18 PM

It would be amazing to see how fast the Democrats "changed their minds" if the southern border was opened to any immigrant willing to settle in New York state and agreed to remain for a minimum of five years. Don't get between Mr. Schumer and the podium while he tries to justify his, and the other democrats, change of vote.

• Steen Milne

12/23/2018 09:16 PM

Do you think President Trump should ask the Congress why they aren’t part of the nonessential government? I don’t think they should get paid until they do their job. I think the President should draw attention to this. What say you?

• Stuart MacPhail

12/23/2018 08:55 PM

Mike... I FULLY support President Trump's action in allowing a portion of the federal government to be shut down in his quest for a more secure national border. I hope he hangs in there... regardless how lomg it takes.

• Elaine Herring

12/23/2018 07:45 PM

It's my understand that we taxpayers are already shelling out somewhere in the neighborhood of $135 Billion per year dealing with illegal immigration. Ummmmm ... somebody on the Dumbocrat side maybe ought to get out a calculator and do some simple cipherin'. Or, maybe they really ARE that stupid.

• Gordon Bagby

12/23/2018 07:07 PM

Governor,

Since the Democrats have dug in their heels and refused to fund the wall b/c they want more illegals in the US who'll vote for them, it's time for Pres. Trump to re-phrase the argument for the wall. Instead of constantly arguing for (and losing) the need for a wall to stop illegal immigration, Pres. Trump should shift the need for a wall to a no-lose issue w/the majority of Americans: illegal drugs. Recently, the president hosted a White House press conference to honor a Nebraska state trooper who discovered a massive amount of fentanyl being smuggled on a traffic stop. That's his ticket to the wall: saturate the message to Americans that almost 200 people per day die from drug overdoses, mostly from illegal opioids like fentanyl smuggled across the Mexican border. It's killing over 72,000 Americans annually and the US could stop it from being smuggled across the border, only if a border wall is built. If Pres. Trump shifted his message to that, let the Democrats try to oppose that message. Voters would start contacting members of the House and Senate if the president directly asked them to do so (ala Ronald Reagan), and if the Democrats didn't respond, they'd be voted out in the next election.

• Emma M Gifford

12/23/2018 07:05 PM

Thank goodness the government has been shutdown. I just wish the shutdown affected the salaries of the politicians. Is there something we the people can do to take back authority for designating salary and benefits they seem to thrive on?

• Thomas H. Nienburg Sr.

12/23/2018 06:59 PM

Governor,
    I believe it’s time to take off the gloves. If President Trump is serious about the need for a wall, I believe he is, direct the Army& the Seabees to get busy building because the hope of funding will cease on the 3rd of January. The Democrats be damned as well as the courts which the Dems. will use against the presidents efforts. I believe the nation as a whole will come to his support because I believe they
    lnow the importance of the
    wall & our national security.
    If he does nothing at this point many in his base will throw in the towel. Pray for the president Governor Huckabee
    Respectfully
    Thomas H Nienburg Sr.
    Note I hate this “robot “ stuff
    I’m never able to satisfy it . Guess it’s my age

• Karen.Johnson

12/23/2018 06:44 PM

Since the house has passed will the bill need to go back to the house in January ? Do we have options to get it passed?

• Tawanna Sinclair

12/23/2018 06:41 PM

Thank you for giving us the truth rather than rehashed gobbeld goop.I appreciate your standing with our President,and i love your sweet daughter.

• Karen McKee

12/23/2018 06:35 PM

Dear Mike,
    I have a one word suggestion to your powerful comment that I feel shows the true nature of the Democrats. Let me know what you think.
    "ON DECEMBER 22, 2018, THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY OFFICIALLY DECLARED PRESERVING ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION TO BE MORE IMPORTANT TO THEM THAN" AMERICANS.

• Diane C. Rowlands

12/23/2018 06:16 PM

Schumer hates trump. He is playing politics. It is personality conflict. Pelosi is in on it too. They are having a temper tantrum. Not trump.

• Suzanne Utts

12/23/2018 05:24 PM

Yes they think we are that stupid and for many years we were that stupid. However Americans are waking up.

• Ray Tracy

12/23/2018 05:18 PM

No media would have to mean to knowledge of a shutdown. Why should I care if the federal government shuts down?

• Keethlyn Fletcher

12/23/2018 05:03 PM

I am absolutely, positively in favor of President Trump building the border wall. As the daughter of a WWII veteran and POW for almost 4 years I would be letting my father down if I didn't take a stand on what he and so many other men and women of our Armed Forces have given life and limb for. Shame on those who show such disregard for our nation and our citizens. BUILD THE WALL.

• P aul Brown

12/23/2018 04:54 PM

The demonrats as I call them, are never worried about spending money, they never were. They have taxed us for years and then increase their spending again, so the increase in taxes never get seen, so they increase them again only to increase spending again, it is a vicious cycle they lead. Many of them voted to have this wall for years, even Osama that Islamic dictator wanted it, until President Trump wanted to keep him promise to the American people. They are all communist minded morons. I have seen communism at its best in Vietnam. Yes, I am a two tour Vietnam veteran and would go back and do it all over again if I had to. I still have ties to the country today with over 254 kids there. LOL Allow me to explain, I have been teaching English to the kids and adults there online for the last 5-6 years now. I got into it by accident but I love it. I do not get paid for this, I do it because I enjoy helping these kids. As one told me one time, He said I am very highly respected over there for what I do for the kids and the people. I kind of fell in love with the country and people when I was there, and still do. I am so tired of seeing these communist minded demonrats defending these people over the American people. Mexico and the others are getting rid of their worst citizens and sending them here instead of putting them in prison down there. These demonrats are a perfect example of why we need term limits for these worthless so called politicians.

• Mary Heffner

12/23/2018 04:51 PM

Let's face it, folks. Mr. Huckabee talks about Democrats, the top echelon of that party claim to be Democrats. But the truth is, and it is about time the 'man on the street' Democrat catches up with reality, the top echelon of the Democratic party--Obama, Pelosi, Schumer and their ilk--are not Democrats. They are Socialists, and the aim of Socialism is the government runs the country, the people go sit in the corner and collect unearned handouts . . . until the money runs out then Blooottttoooo!!!

• Norm & Coretha Rozendaal

12/23/2018 04:51 PM

We read them and you are so correct-- like always!!

• Sandra Griffiths

12/23/2018 04:29 PM

I think the government will be shutdown longer than through Christmas, and I hope it will. I support President Trump in this game of chicken. And President Trump shloud use this opportunity to permanently lay-off a lot of these non-essential government employees.

• Johnny Harrison

12/23/2018 04:19 PM

The wording about the wall, etc. is wrong. The wall is what the American people want....all of us. This is not a particular "Trump" thing, it is an American thing. Congress should know that we cannnot sustain how we are paying out the benefits. It does not take a Philadelphia lawyer to figure this problem out.

• judy hannon

12/23/2018 04:19 PM

Wow!! Do the dems really think we can't see right thru them, their true colors are coming out and it is not pretty, greed ugly power driven motives are clear to everyone plus their hate for Trump and his base are so obvious it's painful to watch. I want the wall more than ever now. We have to win this fight no matter how long it takes and no one should back down we have to win. So lets stick together and with our President.

• Judith Daus

12/23/2018 03:33 PM

The Democrats (especially Schumer & Pelosi) CLAIM they want border security, but have they ever presented a detailed legitimate plan saying how they would do it? Democrats had 8 years with Obama as President & now 2 years with President Trump & they have NEVER come up with a REAL plan in 10 years!!! I hope someday, someone will ask them point blank "after 10 years, what is the Democrat's plan?" There's video of Clinton, Obama & Schumer all saying America MUST have secure borders! So, is their absolute refusal to fund the border wall nothing but spite against President Trump???

The Shutdown

December 23, 2018

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

Jussie Smollett Update

• Emma M Gifford

12/23/2018 07:05 PM

• Thomas H. Nienburg Sr.

12/23/2018 06:59 PM

Governor,
    lnow the importance of the
    wall & our national security.
    Respectfully

• P aul Brown

12/23/2018 04:54 PM

• Mary Heffner

12/23/2018 04:51 PM

• Norm & Coretha Rozendaal

12/23/2018 04:51 PM

We read them and you are so correct-- like always!!

• Sandra Griffiths

12/23/2018 04:29 PM

• Johnny Harrison

12/23/2018 04:19 PM

• judy hannon

12/23/2018 04:19 PM

• Judith Daus

12/23/2018 03:33 PM

The Shutdown

December 23, 2018

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE. I READ THEM!

Jussie Smollett Update

• Emma M Gifford

12/23/2018 07:05 PM

• Thomas H. Nienburg Sr.

12/23/2018 06:59 PM

Governor,
    lnow the importance of the
    wall & our national security.
    Respectfully

• P aul Brown

12/23/2018 04:54 PM

• Mary Heffner

12/23/2018 04:51 PM

• Norm & Coretha Rozendaal

12/23/2018 04:51 PM

We read them and you are so correct-- like always!!

• Sandra Griffiths