General Mattis to retire

December 20, 2018

Gen. James Mattis announced that he is retiring as Secretary of Defense in February.  This will mark a serious loss to the Administration, as he has been one of the best Defense Secretaries in history.  I hope President Trump can find a replacement who has the same level of military experience, candor, character and mutual respect with the troops, but that will be a very tall order.

In Mattis’ gracious resignation letter, he urged the President to be "resolute and unambiguous" in approaching countries with strategic differences, citing China and Russia, and said he has “the right to have a Secretary of Defense whose views are better aligned with yours on these and other subjects.”

It’s too early to read too much into his letter in trying to explain Mattis’ motivations for resigning now (staff changeovers are common after two grueling years), but that isn’t stopping the media from doing so.  For instance, much is being made of the timing of the resignation coming one day after the announcement of all 2,000 US troops being withdrawn from Syria, but for all we know, that might be coincidental.  It’s been reported that Mattis was strongly opposed to the pullout as well as the breaking news of many troops being removed from Afghanistan. But I’d rather wait until we hear from Mattis himself, although being the embodiment of a good soldier, he might not tell us.

As for that withdrawal of troops from Syria, the response from other Republicans is mixed.  Senators Lindsay Graham and Marco Rubio called it a major blunder and warned that Trump will regret it because America will have to go back in again when things deteriorate once more.  On the other hand, Sen. Rand Paul, who has long opposed endless foreign troop commitments, praised Trump for keeping one of his major campaign promises.  Meanwhile, Trump tweeted that America can’t be the policeman of the world, and that with ISIS defeated in Syria, it’s up to Syria, Iran, Russia and other local opponents to keep them from coming back.

Personally, nobody would like to see our troops come home more than I would.  But pulling them out of Syria abruptly is a betrayal of the Kurds, who have sacrificed and shed blood bravely fighting ISIS with us.  It leaves  them and Syrian Christians as sitting ducks for both Syria and Turkey.  I strongly urge President Trump to reconsider this decision.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  I READ THEM!

"Love your neighbor"

ISIS reduced to memes

Standards

• Linda Ward

12/21/2018 03:09 PM

I'm quite sad about the resignation of General Mattis. I have always felt he and General Kelly gave this administration an even keel, a guiding light that we could rely on and keep our President, who frankly is not as smart as he wants us all to believe, on the right path when it comes to making serious military decisions. Yes, he is the commander in chief, but he is NOT a military genius or student of military strategy. He does NOT know more than the generals as he has bragged, and he impulsively acts out at the smallest of personal attacks; an attribute that can be dangerous when you consider all dangerous and opinionated people in the world, many of whom he has alienated with his "style" of leadership. He has a good grasp of deals and the economy, but the mess of the Middle East...I trust the career military Generals way more than I trust an impulsive need to fulfill a campaign promise. This is the same mistake President Obama made, and President Trump made an issue of this, so it's difficult to understand this other than he wants to check off another "promises made, promises kept" box with the elections on the horizon. What a shame. Leadership requires the ability to look at the facts and trust your generals and admit that this is one promise that may need to be revisited down the road. Candidates often make promises that are made without the clarity of what is really going on, and once they get into the job, reality is what should govern their policies.

• cristina campbell

12/21/2018 03:02 PM

Dear Mr. Huckabee, I very much agree with your comments. I am concerned with this decision. I pray for God's supernatural wisdom for President Trump and God's mercy over our human mistakes.
    God bless you!
    Cristina Campbell

• Paul Russ

12/21/2018 02:50 PM

Gov. Huckabee,

At some point, could you share your thoughts regarding two things. First, what is your take on the constant turnover at the White House and among Cabinet-level officials? Is this a function of President Trump's style of leadership or is this a manifestation of dysfunction in the Republican Party that provides so little support for the president and other executive branch officials? Second, why is there so little unity or cohesiveness in the Republican Party. The Democrats are perhaps until recently monolithic. There leadership enforces discipline. Not that that is good, but it is politically effective. As you pointed out with regard to House Speaker Paul Ryan's parting comments, he seems to model weak leadership, lack of vision and certainly little party support for Mr. Trump, like him or not.

Finally, we might disagree with some of President Trump's decisions, but the U.S. needs to disengage from the Middle East and Afghanistan at some point, unless you adhere to Donald Rumsfeld's original proclamation that the U.S. willing to stay in these places forever. It is interesting that Trump was condemned for his initial aggressive policies in both Syria and Afghanistan and now is being condemned for pulling out. Another example of how Trump can never win no matter what decision that he makes. At least, members of the GOP should be more supportive and flexible with him. Better than Obama's so-called "red line" impotence in Syria.

Sincerely,

Paul Russ

• Roger S Austin

12/21/2018 02:18 PM

Seems to me Trump is doing what Putin wants him to do.My question is Russia pulling out?

• Martin Pedersen

12/21/2018 02:11 PM

Regarding the pullout of troops in Syria and Afghanistan: Congress should take the initiative and declare war in these areas if conditions truly warrant such action. That's the Constitutional way to do it.

• kay balsley

12/21/2018 02:04 PM

i agree our President should listen to advise that it may not be the best to pull out over there ,This has been done before and we have always had to return All they do is just build up again in that area . The bad ones are not all gone yet . Merry Christmas and may we all have a better New Year

• Betty Bryant

12/21/2018 01:49 PM

Mike, I understand your concern for the Christians in Syria but at the same time, this is a situation that will never end. As long as they are in a majority Muslim country, they will need protection. We cannot stay there forever. I do not believe that we are doing any good in these Muslim countries. We are just training their fighters to be better fighters against us. Nothing short of complete and total annihilation of Muslims will stop the incessant fighting. They are determined to conquer the world for Allah and won't stop trying. In a way, I have to admire their determination for their God. There will never be peace in a Muslim country and to keep subjecting our men and women to this constant warfare and hatred, is just wrong. Unless we face the facts that the Muslims, all Muslims, are against Christians and want to do away with them, we will never be able to move forward. To believe that we can coexist with them is foolish and will cost us dearly. I realize that I will be accused of Islamaphobia but that is not true. I am just a realist. They have made it clear what their goal is and if we don't believe them or accept that, we can never deal with them in a realistic manner.

• Rechele Fields

12/21/2018 01:13 PM

Mike, thanks for the article and your opinion. I too share this opinion. I am very uneasy about the pull out. Not sure why he would make a decision to contrary to his Military advisors.
    I'm praying that he will rethink this potentially disastrous decision.
    Regards,
    Rechele Fields

• Fran Ayars

12/21/2018 01:07 PM

I doubt that this is an "abrupt" move by President Trump. I think it is a chess move that will bring other results. We are not the World Policeman and don't need to take in everyone who wants to be in the U. S. These people need to defend and make their countries stronger.

• Krystyna Orlean

12/21/2018 12:54 PM

General Mattis was a huge asset in our President's Administration and helped President for the first 2 years.
    We are surprise by His decision to resign because our Country needs Him and it is not nice for the soldier to leave own boss when President might needs General's Mattis expertise. His duty as a soldier was with President to the end of His Presidency.
    In his age, He should know that it is not soldier's duty to make decisions.
    Even He was General and everybody respected Him and did listen him in the Army he must respects President of United States decisions if he liked or not.
    We don't agree with his selfish view in his resignation letter that President: 'has “the right to have a Secretary of Defense whose views are better aligned with yours on these and other subjects.”
    The soldier's views doesn't count and doesn't need to be aligned with the President of United States.
    His expertise was just counted and reviewed....

• Ronald B Barton

12/21/2018 12:53 PM

General Mathis did a great job but Mathis & TRUMP butted heads on a lot of issues. No problem with that!

President TRUMP, has the BIG JOB! TRUMP follows EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENS IN THE WORLD! Everyone else has only ONE JOB, WHILE OUR PRESIDENT DOES MULTIPLE JOBS!
    I TRUST PRESIDENT TRUMP, BECAUSE HE FOLLOWS EVERYTHING & HE IS CORRECT 90% OF THE TIME, MAYBY MORE!
    I was MISTAKEN about the HILLARY, COMEY, McCABE, LYNCH, MUELLER, DOSSIER THING! I THOUGHT IT WAS POLITICAL!
    IT'S NOT POLITICAL! ITS CRIMINAL & IT ALL GOES BACK TO THE URANIUM 1 DEAL! THAT MINE IS IN OREGON & OBAMA PUSHED THE BLM INTO TAKING PEOPLE'S PROPERTY & LIVES!
    OBAMA WAS & IS PUSHING ALL THE RANCHERS OFF THEIR RANCHLAND BECAUSE HE'S SETTING UP A GRAB ON THE MINERAL RESOURCES!
    THEFT, MURDER, DECEIT, COVRT UP!
    MUELLER IS DOING NOTHING MORE THAN COVERING UP HIS OWN CRIMES! URANIUM 1 IS THE KEY!

IT'S A CRIMINAL CASE & OBAMA & MUELLER ARE THE 2 HEADED SNAKES!

• Sharon Sizemore

12/21/2018 12:44 PM

Governor Huckabee, I agree with everything you are saying. I too would love for the world to be in a state to where ALL of our men and women in the military could be home and out of danger. I am worried as to what our withdrawal will do the Kurds and if it will eventually hurt Israel. I do not trust Russia or China and feel they are sitting and waiting for us to pull out so they can take over. We are the ONLY force that has the capability to hold these 2 countries back and protect the weaker countries as well as ourselves. I back President Trump 100% and still do but he doesn't have to pull our military out now to keep his campaign promise as far as I am concerned. Thank you Governor Huckabee for all you do and I really admire you. You and your wife have also raised a very strong and beautiful daughter.

• Mark Carroll

12/21/2018 12:32 PM

REGARDING THE GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN: I support POTUS Trump and I would like to see the President take this one step further.
    My recommendation: Every day at the daily Whitehouse Press briefing, I would like the first order of business to be the reading of a detailed list of crimes committed by illegal aliens in this country -- followed by the comment "None of these crimes would have been committed if these illegal aliens had been prevented from entering OUR country. A wall at the border would have prevented illegals from entering our country. Our American citizens would not have been harmed if the Democrats had funded the wall the President is requesting funding to build". I would repeat this format each and every day. Thank you and God bless.

• Bryan Slabodnik

12/21/2018 12:20 PM

You are right. We should not leave the Kurds and Christains as sitting ducks. Can see a downsizing but full pullout will leave them to be slaughtered. There is no honor in that for America. Sad!!! I love our service men and women and I would love to see them cone home to be with their families as well, but it should be done the right way. Saw you on Justice, Mike, with Judge Jeannine. You looked stylin'. Appreciate all your work. You are my number one source for the true news. There is alot of slanted news out there. I get straight to the truth with you. Rock on Mike.

• Jim Hunt

12/21/2018 11:52 AM

I am shocked as to President Trump's decision to pull out of Syria and the surrounding areas. While I agree with him that we can't be the police men of the world and that these struggles have been going on for time in memorial, we simply can't leave an open door for ISIS to regenerate and destroy what we've fought for. Not only will this pull out be disastrous for the innocent people of those countries, it would be a slap in the face of our allies, primarily for Israel. And we could be going back AGAIN to face these terrorists, costing many American lives and untold amounts of money, something that Trump criticized Obama for during the elections. I simply don't understand his logic...
    I can only hope that he has a tactic to overcome the threats we face over there.
    General Mattis and all of President Trump's senior military advisors are against this move; so much so that Mattis is retiring, which is a blow to the confidence of the military. This is a bad move on Trump's part.
    Let's pray that he has a change of heart before it's too late!

• Susanna

12/21/2018 11:51 AM

Mike Lee also praised President Trump for pulling out of Syria. Obama pushed us into Syria and then ISIS developed directly afterwards. He never got approval by Congress to go in, and we were not imvited by Assad. Say what you will about Assad, but the Christian people in Syria support him. You're dealing with radical Muslims who want Assad out, so tbey can propose Sharia Law, which, at present, is not, nor has been supported by Assad. Ask Christians what happened to Iraq after Hussein was ousted. I'm talking Anglican Christian groups, who say Christian groups are now almost extinct in Iraq.
    We are not legally in Syria. We need to give Kurds our weapons, and not ISIS tbis time, and things will go better for all.

• Luc Francois

12/21/2018 11:49 AM

I always enjoy seeing your perspective on U.S and world events. Keep the good work.
    I agree that we should not completely pull out of Syria, leaving vacuum for Turkey and Russia to fill.
    We are effectively abandoning our most proven allies in that region. America as a beacon of freedom is sending a wrong message to all our future allies by our pull out. Leaving the Kurds at the mercy of Turkey, a nation that has become authoritarian and bent on the destruction of the Kurds, whom i believe deserve their own country. not withstanding the promises made to them by our commanders on the ground for them to shed their blood on our behalf.

• Gretel Kleint

12/21/2018 11:48 AM

Let's try to pull out and see what happens in Syria. We can't be to entrenched at this time. Now, about Afganistan, that's another story. Everyone has tried there to help, but maybe we need to leave them to sink or swim after all these years. They need to get a life and stand up for themselves.

• Debra Magnuson

12/21/2018 11:36 AM

I respect your take on what is going on in our country and the world. Can you say a bit about 2030 Agenda? I know what man plans in not what God plans, but I am curious of your take.

Thanks for all you do!

Deb

• Buzz Buvinghausen

12/21/2018 11:32 AM

I've been an ardent supporter of President Trump. But his unilateral decision on Syria, and Jim Mattis' subsequent reaction by resigning is a horrible situation. Yes, we eventually need to decrease our involvement in Syria, but pulling out now, thousands of Kurds will likely be mass slaughtered. And General Mattis has been a fantastic Secretary of Defense! I was an Air Force pilot in Vietnam when Robert McNamara and Clark Clifford were Sec of Defense. Mattis is head and shoulders above those clowns.

• Teresa Hall

12/21/2018 11:31 AM

I too wish the President would slowly remove our soldiers from Syria. Isis may have been slowed down immensely, but,make no doubt that organization is still recruiting and still as barbarian as they have been and the Kurds and Christians left behind will be a main target. I hope we can at least continue with weaponry and whatever they will need to strengthen their resolve. The Kurds are excellent soldiers ,but just not enough of them.

• ELIZABETH SLACK

12/21/2018 11:28 AM

Perhaps it was time to revisit US military priorities. Russian flight of two nuclear-capable bombers should be a wakeup call that defending our hemisphere should be the first order of military priority. Chinese military build-up in the South China seas could be used as an economic weapon on demand. Many objectives must be prioritized in our national interest.

• Mary Westcott

12/21/2018 11:27 AM

As you say, we don't know what is behind the decision to bring the troops home, but it is concerning that the President is taking steps that the military leadership apparently does not agree with. We don't know if the state department agrees with his decision. I am praying for great wisdom and courage for the president. If this is, in fact, motivated for political reasons and is not in the best interest of our nation, I pray the President will have the courage and humility to reconsider his decision. It is good to be tough, but with such important and complicated issues, toughness must be preceeded with great wisdom and excellent counsel.

• Mary Westcott

12/21/2018 11:27 AM

• Chery Holtman

12/21/2018 11:26 AM

I thought 50th the GoFundMe for the wall was inspirering. I'm unhappy that it appears not to be legal. Couldn't the government set up an account of some sort to direct donations given for the wall to use? At this point close to 12 million has been raised-it's not a crack pot exercise to ridicule a government program but support of what these people believe to be necessary. Truely grassroots. Washington is filled with lawyers, surely someone could figure it out. Loopholes abound.

General Mattis to retire

December 20, 2018

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  I READ THEM!

"Love your neighbor"

• kay balsley

12/21/2018 02:04 PM

• Betty Bryant

12/21/2018 01:49 PM

• Rechele Fields

12/21/2018 01:13 PM

I'm praying that he will rethink this potentially disastrous decision.
    Regards,
    Rechele Fields

• Fran Ayars

12/21/2018 01:07 PM

• Krystyna Orlean

12/21/2018 12:54 PM

In his age, He should know that it is not soldier's duty to make decisions.
    His expertise was just counted and reviewed....

• Ronald B Barton

12/21/2018 12:53 PM

THEFT, MURDER, DECEIT, COVRT UP!

IT'S A CRIMINAL CASE & OBAMA & MUELLER ARE THE 2 HEADED SNAKES!

• Sharon Sizemore

12/21/2018 12:44 PM

• Mark Carroll

12/21/2018 12:32 PM

• Bryan Slabodnik

12/21/2018 12:20 PM

• Jim Hunt

12/21/2018 11:52 AM

Let's pray that he has a change of heart before it's too late!

• Susanna

• Mary Westcott

12/21/2018 11:27 AM

• Chery Holtman

12/21/2018 11:26 AM

General Mattis to retire

December 20, 2018

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  I READ THEM!

"Love your neighbor"

• kay balsley

12/21/2018 02:04 PM

• Betty Bryant

12/21/2018 01:49 PM

• Rechele Fields

12/21/2018 01:13 PM

I'm praying that he will rethink this potentially disastrous decision.
    Regards,
    Rechele Fields

• Fran Ayars

12/21/2018 01:07 PM

• Krystyna Orlean

12/21/2018 12:54 PM

In his age, He should know that it is not soldier's duty to make decisions.
    His expertise was just counted and reviewed....

• Ronald B Barton

12/21/2018 12:53 PM

THEFT, MURDER, DECEIT, COVRT UP!

IT'S A CRIMINAL CASE & OBAMA & MUELLER ARE THE 2 HEADED SNAKES!

• Sharon Sizemore

12/21/2018 12:44 PM

• Mark Carroll

12/21/2018 12:32 PM

• Bryan Slabodnik

12/21/2018 12:20 PM

• Jim Hunt

12/21/2018 11:52 AM

Let's pray that he has a change of heart before it's too late!

• Susanna