December 20, 2018

Gen. James Mattis announced that he is retiring as Secretary of Defense in February.  This will mark a serious loss to the Administration, as he has been one of the best Defense Secretaries in history.  I hope President Trump can find a replacement who has the same level of military experience, candor, character and mutual respect with the troops, but that will be a very tall order.

In Mattis’ gracious resignation letter, he urged the President to be "resolute and unambiguous" in approaching countries with strategic differences, citing China and Russia, and said he has “the right to have a Secretary of Defense whose views are better aligned with yours on these and other subjects.”

It’s too early to read too much into his letter in trying to explain Mattis’ motivations for resigning now (staff changeovers are common after two grueling years), but that isn’t stopping the media from doing so.  For instance, much is being made of the timing of the resignation coming one day after the announcement of all 2,000 US troops being withdrawn from Syria, but for all we know, that might be coincidental.  It’s been reported that Mattis was strongly opposed to the pullout as well as the breaking news of many troops being removed from Afghanistan. But I’d rather wait until we hear from Mattis himself, although being the embodiment of a good soldier, he might not tell us.

As for that withdrawal of troops from Syria, the response from other Republicans is mixed.  Senators Lindsay Graham and Marco Rubio called it a major blunder and warned that Trump will regret it because America will have to go back in again when things deteriorate once more.  On the other hand, Sen. Rand Paul, who has long opposed endless foreign troop commitments, praised Trump for keeping one of his major campaign promises.  Meanwhile, Trump tweeted that America can’t be the policeman of the world, and that with ISIS defeated in Syria, it’s up to Syria, Iran, Russia and other local opponents to keep them from coming back.

Personally, nobody would like to see our troops come home more than I would.  But pulling them out of Syria abruptly is a betrayal of the Kurds, who have sacrificed and shed blood bravely fighting ISIS with us.  It leaves  them and Syrian Christians as sitting ducks for both Syria and Turkey.  I strongly urge President Trump to reconsider this decision.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  I READ THEM!

No Censure for Maxine

Paul Rossi Is Fired

A Look Back At Earth Day Predictions

The Details: Mike Lindell Sues Dominion For $1.6 Billion

• Mary Curran

12/21/2018 11:17 AM

I totally agree, Gov. but it’s a mixed opinion. I think the Kurds and Christians will be targeted as soon as we leave. And if you commit you should see it through. Not convinced ISIS is gone. And very troubled by Gen. Mattis’ resignation. I understand his reasons but feel we’re losing one of our best mighty defenders of truth. Merry Christmas.

• Art Schefler

12/21/2018 11:12 AM

I spent 26 years in the Air Force which included 75 combat missions in Southeast Asia. As a military officer, I obeyed the lawful orders of those above me. I wonder if General Mattis failed to take that oath and just decided to quit when he didn't like the orders given him.

• Lawrence E. Foster

12/21/2018 11:11 AM

Over the years, no group of people (except maybe the American Taxpayer) has been screwed over more by the US government than the Kurds. The kurds have been staunch allies in Iraq, against both the Iranian terror organization, and against Islamist groups like ISIS and Al Qa'eda. They have established a working government in their quarter of Iraq, and deserve to be treated better. The Kurds have offered (quietly of course as the Iraqi government is n ot in favor) to let the US station troops in the Kurdish Regionakl Government area, and use the airbase at Kirkuk, and if we werewise, we would accept and tell the Iraqis to get over it. During my tours in Iraq - both in the Kurdish Region - I found the Kurds to be very hospitable to the Christian refugees forced out of Baghdad and Basra by the Iranian backed Shi'ite militias, and they deserve our support.

• Art Schefler

12/21/2018 11:08 AM

• Mark Glass

12/21/2018 10:58 AM

I applaud loudly and continuously the decision to withdraw the troops from Syria and soon from Afganistan!!! I did 18 months in Viet Nam and wasted that time of my life. VN was a waste and so IS Afganistan! I was a combat Marine and understand the rigors of combat but just like VN, USA is not fighting a war like one can conduct it!! I have spoken to many Marine and Army Infantrymen on this subject and the great majority voice the opinion of "get the crap out of there"!!! USA is not the police force for the world. Want to reduce stress in USA and reduce our gov't budget GET OUT OF AFGANISTAN!!!!
    Men have told me of being assigned to guard poppy fields for Afgans. What a load of garbage those type of orders are and demoralizing for the men. Either carry out an "All Out No Holds Barred War, or Get The Hell Out Of Afhanistan"!!!
    Very Respectfully,
    Mark Glass

• John App

12/21/2018 10:58 AM

Dear Huck,
    I think the Mattis resignation is, for me, pretty much the last straw. For a while I believed that Mr. Trump really had it together and was going to bring about some very much needed changes. But his very shallow personal traits have brought about a lot of chaos rather than improvement and harmony. I voted for him, but early on made a bet that he wouldn't last the full term. I had hoped the GOP would have many years ascendancy ahead of us but see now that he has blown that opportunity and likely will usher in wild-eyed Democrats who will overturn the several good things created during this administration. I have cringed with practically every foolish statement Mr. Trump has made for these past two years. I can see nothing of value happening for the next two years except political strife and disharmonious actions. It is sad, very, very sad to see and experience.
    I am a former USMC Vietnam veteran and my bet was with a former USAF veteran and Vietnam POW. Both of us staunch conservatives.
    John

• Dan Broughton

12/21/2018 10:57 AM

Governor, This latest resignation is deeply troubling. I've supported Trump in most of his policy actions. As you mentioned, the coincidence of the Mattis resignation and the announcement of troop pullout seems to be the last straw for a good and honorable soldier. When this move is considered in concert with all the other potential personal calamities, our Republican administration is looking extremely tenuous. God help us.

• Carol Clark

12/21/2018 10:52 AM

I agree with President Trump. I’m sure we will be monitoring Syria and will send troops back in if needed. I would love to see the Republicans come together, just once, and support the President.

• Stephen Russell

12/21/2018 10:43 AM

Govt Shutdown: whose effected, read 75% of Govt funded.
    Whose impacted BY shutdown??
    No one ever explains.
    OK FNC>

If its Nonsense stuff then Redline from Budget.
    Get rid of this Waste alone.
    Love to see 500K Federal employees lose jobs in DC alone
    (non essential depts, agencies)

Make Shutdown Active for 1 month.
    Total true shutdown or have Dems MEET OUR demands

• Cecile Basilone

12/21/2018 10:42 AM

I also think we should keep our troops in Syria - we still have troops in Korea, so hopefully ISIS won't see this as an opportunity to invade and destroy again. I'm hoping Pres. Trump has some secret plan up his sleeve that will outwit the enemy.

• Philip Morgan

12/21/2018 10:41 AM

I share the view that the President should reconsider both decisions. He should maintain the US participation in Syria and in Afghanistan. ISIS is weak but not done. Just look at Kandahar lately and their attacks in Kabul.
    We have been so successful in Syria, and that is fundamental to counterbalance influence by Iran and Russia there.

• Judy Robertson

12/21/2018 10:41 AM

Totally agree. The Kurds did not sit back and watch the US deal with fighting, they put their bodies and souls on the line. The Christians will be slaughtered left to the radical Muslims, there is no question. While I agree that we cannot and should not be the policeman for the world, a slower and more timely withdrawal makes more sense.

• Stephen Russell

12/21/2018 10:39 AM

Syria pullout: Give em one last carpet bombing or 2 MOABs for safekeeping, then Pull out forces IF most ISIS units destroyed.
    Hit the ISIS CPs etc alone.
    As for Mattis, need another" Mattis" since he ran DoD so well, heard nothing about 5% cut in DoD budget alone.
    More can be done, streamline procurement alone to get weapons to our Forces in the Field.

• Morris Steen

12/21/2018 10:39 AM

Trump is commiting an Obamaesque mistake and he will live to regret it.

• Carol Lynn Rebandt

12/21/2018 10:27 AM

Thank you for always being honest with the American people. Your opinions are highly respected, and many people look to you for insight. I trust that President Trump realizes the wisdom that both you and Sarah bring to difficult situations. May our great and awesome God continue to bless our nation with your insight, and with the unparalleled job that Sarah is doing. I'm sure your family must consider on a daily basis if it is all worth it, but I believe God has set you in place for "such a time as this." May your entire family have some time to enjoy the Christmas season. Merry Christmas from the entire Rebandt family. (I am a conservative writer. My husband Ralph is a pastor, chaplain for the Michigan Association of Chiefs of Police, and on the board of governors for the Council for National Policy). You are continually in our prayers.

December 20, 2018

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE.  I READ THEM!

No Censure for Maxine

• Dan Broughton

12/21/2018 10:57 AM

• Carol Clark

12/21/2018 10:52 AM

• Stephen Russell

12/21/2018 10:43 AM

Govt Shutdown: whose effected, read 75% of Govt funded.
    Whose impacted BY shutdown??
    No one ever explains.
    OK FNC>

If its Nonsense stuff then Redline from Budget.
    Get rid of this Waste alone.
    Love to see 500K Federal employees lose jobs in DC alone
    (non essential depts, agencies)

Make Shutdown Active for 1 month.
    Total true shutdown or have Dems MEET OUR demands

• Cecile Basilone

12/21/2018 10:42 AM

• Philip Morgan

12/21/2018 10:41 AM

• Judy Robertson

12/21/2018 10:41 AM

• Stephen Russell

12/21/2018 10:39 AM

Hit the ISIS CPs etc alone.

• Morris Steen

12/21/2018 10:39 AM

Trump is commiting an Obamaesque mistake and he will live to regret it.

• Carol Lynn Rebandt