Evening Edition - March 28

March 28, 2020 |

Friday, the FDA granted emergency use approval to a new COVID-19 coronavirus test by Abbott Labs, just one day after Vice President Pence announced it and only a few months after the virus emerged from China (and it did.) The test can detect positive results in five minutes, and negative results in under 15 minutes.

Within a matter of weeks, we’ve gone from tests that take days to 90 minutes to 45 minutes to five minutes. It once again proves how much can be done with amazing speed, thanks to human ingenuity and modern technology, if you can just get the government out of the way.

----------------------------

I hope you all have constitutions like “Mr. P.” the anonymous man in Rimini, Italy, who is already home and recovering from the COVID-19 virus. He’s 101 years old and was born in 1919, during the Spanish flu pandemic, becoming the only known person to have survived both deadly worldwide pandemics, over a century apart.

The mayor called his recovery “truly extraordinary” and said he gives us all hope. She said his story teaches us that even at 101 years, "the future is not written." I’ll bet that when the future is written, Mr. P. will still be around to write it.

---------------------------------------

Inspiring Video: A Chino, California, high school choir that had to miss a dream trip to compete in Boston made the best of it by coming together in harmony over the Internet to share their rendition of “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” with the world.

------------------------------------

Hillary Clinton just proved once again that if there’s any role she’s less fit for than President, it’s comedian.

------------------------------------

Donald Trump Jr. says that every American should see this two-minute video of Dr. Deborah Birx of the White House coronavirus task force refuting some of the scaremongering that the media have been circulating. We already linked to it, but didn’t highlight it, so it seems like a good idea to do it again:

A few major points: Here in America, there is no shortage of hospital beds or ventilators for COVID-19 (Chinese) virus patients. There are no “do not resuscitate” orders for patients over 60. These doomsday claims are predictions based on a computer model of the future spread of the virus that has so far proven to be wildly exaggerated. The head of the team at Imperial College UK that created it just downgraded its initial estimate of 550,000 dead in the UK to less than 20,000. Of course, that’s terrible, but it’s about 97.3% lower than the initial prediction. And the UK was not as prepared for this as we were.

In a related story, the media are spinning the numbers of confirmed cases to make it appear that the US is the very epicenter of the pandemic. But is that a case of “GIGO”: the number crunchers’ term for “garbage in, garbage out,” or using faulty numbers to extrapolate false conclusions? See for yourself:

Of course, this is not meant to suggest that anyone should stop taking extreme precautions to avoid contamination and stop the spread of this potentially deadly disease. It is especially bad in certain places, such as New York City, which is densely populated and where the political leaders were still urging people to go out and mingle just a few weeks ago. But the narrative that it’s the end of the world and we’re totally unprepared for it is the result of equal parts Trump Derangement Syndrome and the need to fill 24 hours a day with “news” and commentary when there’s only one story to talk about.

That’s why you should rely on us for your news and commentary. If it’s really important, we’ll tell you about it. Until then, my poor staffers and I read the news – and the “news” -- so you don’t have to.

-----------------------------------

President Trump has been under fire by the left for not exercising the Defense Production Act and taking over private industries to force them to join the fight against the COVID-19 (Wuhan) coronavirus. In fact, Trump has invoked the powers of that Act, he just hadn’t exercised them – until now.

Previously, Trump said it wasn’t necessary because all companies had voluntarily retooled to help. But this week, he got frustrated waiting for GM (which owes its continued existence to a federal bailout, hence the nickname, “Government Motors) and invoked the Act’s powers to order GM to stop “wasting time” with negotiating prices and output numbers and start making ventilators.

He also tweeted, in all-caps, “FORD, GET STARTED ON VENTILATORS FAST!!!!!!” but without phrasing it as an official order to Ford…yet.

So the automakers have their marching orders, and here’s one for the media: The switch has been flipped again. Having gone from calling Trump an autocratic dictator to complaining that he’s not enough of an autocratic dictator, you can now go back to calling him an autocratic dictator again until further notice. That is all.

------------------------

Today’s Must-Read: For weeks, all we’ve heard from Democrats and the media (but I repeat myself) is that President Trump waited too long to deal with the coronavirus, that he’s dangerously incompetent, lost, lying, flailing, over his head, not doing enough/anything/the right things, and we’re all going to die and it’s all his fault and he doesn’t even care. If only his critics had been in charge from the beginning, we wouldn’t be facing such a dire situation!

Okay, John Perazzo at Front Page Magazine decided to go back to the beginning of the virus outbreak in China (yes: CHINA!) He has created a side-by-side timeline, showing us what Trump has been doing since that moment, and what his critics have been doing. The contrast is stunning. It starts with Trump creating his coronavirus task force on January 29 and shutting down travel from China on January 31. Democrats who now accuse Trump of acting too slowly at the time called him an immigrant-hating xenophobe, wanted to keep the borders open, and didn’t hold their first House hearing on the virus until February 5.

After you read the whole story, you will be agog at how many mountains one man was able to move while being constantly attacked, second-guessed, lied about, misquoted, obstructed and even impeached. You will also see one of the worst mass examples of criminal negligence by political leaders and the media in history. And it’s all on the record and in their own words.

If you can read this and not thank God that Trump was President at this moment in history, and realize that his opponents shouldn’t even be in charge of a snow cone stand, then you need to go back and read it again.

----------------------------

On the same subject, one of our elite intellectual superiors, former Obama official Cass Sunstein, just wrote in the Washington Post that we must handle the coronavirus crisis in a way that he said was the view of people with a “brain defect” in WaPo less than one month ago.

• Barb Sabin

03/29/2020 02:01 AM

Dear brother Mike! You are so right that we need to thank our Almighty God that in His Wisdom and Mercy, He gave us perhaps the most brilliant and courageous President in our recent history!!! I try to pray for our President Trump every time I see him on Fox, because I know there are evil forces working against him and he needs God's MERCY, GRACE AND FAVOR more than anything else!!! Thank you Mike for being the voice of truth and reason during this strange and unsettling time!!! Amen

• Barb Sabin

03/29/2020 02:00 AM

• Rebecca Holstine

03/29/2020 12:58 AM

I think our President has been handling this virus crisis very well indeed. He has been on top of things almost from the start, while the media was still focused on the impeachment trial. And I thank God every day that Hillary wasn't in charge of anything. She wasn't even smart enough to know about using a secured server to send classified materials. And she certainly isn't smart enough to make a funny joke. Her and Biden need to be on the same ticket. That would sure bring in the votes. NOT!

• richard van bueren

03/28/2020 11:39 PM

excellent article by john perrazo..thanks

• Stephen Craig Manzene

03/28/2020 10:30 PM

Thank you Mike for assembling these facts.... it is so frustrating listening to the left criticize, I can never remember numbers/ facts to fire back at them.... I guess I keep thinking that sooner or later everyone will understand...… Lord open their eyes!!!!

• Rose M Hunter

03/28/2020 10:24 PM

God bless you, Mike, for speaking truth against the hysterical. Hype! I taught in a preschool, and I think Congress needs some “ time out corners” till the supposed adults learn how to speak to each other respectfully and cooperate!

• Gary Stilwell

03/28/2020 09:56 PM

Dr. Birx is tired--you can see it in her face and body language--If you have ANY inroad into influencing Trump, please communicate this to him--she needs a break from the constant media attacks-she needs the time to do her job!

• DonaldEndicott Endicott

03/28/2020 09:55 PM

Yes; I have been thanking God that we have President Trump. I can only imagine what a mess we would be in if he had not won the election in 2016. I think some people may be finding what it is like to be required to curtail activities and not be able to buy certain items. I was 10 years old when Pearl Harbor was bombed. To me we are more constricted now than then. Of course it was a completely different situation with most having multiple family off to the setvices, some never to return.

• William Schlumpf

03/28/2020 09:04 PM

Comparing confirmed cases by country as if they reflect the actual infection rate is misleading and meaningless. In third world countries where very little testing is being done there can be no way of knowing the infection rate except by looking at the death rates -assuming they are accurate. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if the mortality rate of .4% is accurate and it is probably not, that would imply an infected population of 552750 as of two or three weeks ago. Total deaths in the United States as of today are reported to be 2211 people. Divide that number by the mortality rate of .004 and you have 552750. But deaths as of today reflect people who were likely infected three weeks ago since it takes about three weeks from the onset of infection before one ultimately succumbs to the virus. Hopefully the mortality rate is less than .4% and will certainly be once an effective treatment is widely available but that also means even more people are infected. Project the 552750 forward to today and that further suggests over a million infected. On the bright side, Hong Kong holds steady at 4 deaths, Taiwan, 2 deaths, macau, zero deaths, Hainan Island, 6 deaths, Singapore, 2 deaths, Japan, 52 and South Korea now stabilized at 144. All of these have taken strong measures to deal with the virus and are either separated from mainland china by water or have a secure border separating them from the mainland further suggesting that mobility is a big part of the problem. Interestingly, outside of Asia, Germany and Poland have managed to keep the pandemic under control despite large numbers initially infected. In the US it appears the infected areas are radiate outward from our international airports. With the spring warmup and better treatment let's hope and pray this thing peaks or as Andrew Cuomo likes to say, apexes, soon. Also, the more people who get the virus now the faster it runs out of prospective infectees and the sooner it dies out. Otherwise, we could be in for a very challenging flu season this fall.

• Richard J Hertel

03/28/2020 08:33 PM

Mike, can you let us know what "Mr P"s diet and and favorite drink is?

• Toni

03/28/2020 08:30 PM

We are so very thankful for you! The fact that you have the intestinal fortitude to watch MSM and filter the truth for us is a blessing.

• Michael Murphy

03/28/2020 08:03 PM

Read an article where the author coined the term"Ene-Media". It rings of truth. Whether it's taken from enemy or enema, it's still applicable..

• Diane Moore

03/28/2020 07:47 PM

This has nothing to do with your edition today, but rather from an online interview I read at Fort Worth Weekly dated March 27, where a doctor is answering questions about COVID 19. Here is an excerpt from that interview: Have there been planning lapses at the national level?
    After the H1N1 epidemic in 2009, there was a huge push for having a pandemic response team. All the hospitals came up with plans for this. Even the federal government had a pandemic response team. Everything fell to the wayside because that was 11 years ago. [President Donald Trump] dismantled the pandemic response team in 2018. His reasoning was that we could reassemble it on the fly. The problem is that COVID-19 moves so quickly, trying to reassemble that team (taking months or longer) has been unhelpful.
    I am so angry that this doctor is still spreading this lie about President Trump! I want to scream when I read things like this. I just thought I would share so we can scream together!

• Robbie Mize

03/28/2020 07:45 PM

Thank you Gov. Huckabee...I do depend on your no nonsense common sense. I try my best not to read or listen to an over abundance of fake stuff....at least I think it is fake or hope it is fake. It is so scary. Like today I read that Fox News had done a poll and that Trump was losing by 9 percentage points to Biden who probably will not remember getting elected until someone tells him. Please tell me you know something better I can hang on to other than that. That is one thing that would keep me awake at night. I just have to believe that this will get better, the markets will rebound, people will again be employed and Trump will be our leader. Tell me I have a glimmer of hope!

• Linda Lennartz

03/28/2020 07:43 PM

Need advice, my husband and I are raising our 2 teenage grandsons. Since school is closed, father has just demanded visitation. He lives an hour away. My husband and I are both high risk with COPD and diabetes. Do you have advice on what the guidelines are?

• Nelda White

03/28/2020 07:40 PM

The song "Over the Rainbow" by the high school choir was beautiful. I believe in freedom of the press, but they are free to report the truth. They are hurting so many citizens with their outrageous lies.

• James Drury Jr

03/28/2020 07:33 PM

Thanks Mike and your people!

• Dennis R. Huckabee

03/28/2020 07:21 PM

Thanks!Mike Huckabee,our family speaking for them!Your prayers and information about the great job our President Trump has been doing from the git-go!Reassuring us all,As the Johnny Cash song goes verse, bad news travels like wildfire, good news travels slow,being the Democracks and DeM-Media fake news negativity!We know you and the President, gives it to you straightened out with no bad wrinkles!Iron-pressed as it should be!I would like ask you,non-news question,I met you at a, Ft.Walton College,save the liberal arts benefit!You played bass of course along with a member of the band.38 Special!You spoke of your time growing up in Arkansas,before your speech!During meet and greet, I told my name,you ask where my family was from,Hope,Ark. My grandfather and grandmother live on the above Huckabee Cemetery!Since our time now,staying home due to C-19!I recently found old photos we thought were burned up from the old house place my grandparents lived in!I have a photo of my grandfather Charles Elmore Huckabee ,And I believe his brother‘s and sister’s !I can take a picture of the picture on my smartphone and send it to you!My Dad’s half brother is the caretaker of Huckabee Cemetery,James(jebo) Huckabee lives up the road!Wants a copy to,he has none!But I would glad to send you some of the photos I have(copies) if your interested!Family History is important to me,my father was baby of 11 brothers and sisters,including the kids born after my grandmother died of cancer at my Dad’s age of 4,Arlis O’Brien Huckabee!Your genealogical search Of your family,helped find ancestors back to1600’s!Devon,England and further!My Grandmother’s maiden name was “ Nichols” her first was California “Callie”,I apologize for the long explanation!Hope you have time some day!To respond!God Bless you,And your family!Our faith our God will guide the people thru this,again I thank you!I ask God to protect your families!

• Debbie W

03/28/2020 07:19 PM

I am a health care provider in the central US. The past few days I have been marveling that this virus basically has not been making our infants a small children sick! Yes, there a couple of outliers reported. But really, usually in times of great illnesses our children are little germ factories and get viral illnesses left and right! I see this as a great blessing! It is already heart-rending thinking of rows of patients on ventilators in our large cities. Imagine if it was our babies!! I was discussing this with my nurses at our tiny hospital this morning. One of them piped up “it’s like Passover!” And so it is! Just thought you would enjoy a bright spot in your day, Governor!

• Kay DeWitt

03/28/2020 07:19 PM

How dark is Hillary's delusion that she could not SEE ...that her sick crack about President Trump's desire to put America first has seen its fulfillment in America being in the lead when it comes to the number of people infected by the coronavirus......would bring her nothing but criticism?

Is there any way....despite your already too busy schedule....that you could compile ALL the contradictions you have brought out in your newsletters and put them in a book that, if it became a best-seller, could bring your message to more people?

The theme of your book would reecho the theme of your newsletters...that..
    After the Democrats criticized the President for DOING something, when he STOPPED doing the thing they criticized him for, they then turned around and criticized him FOR not DOING the very thing they had criticised him FOR doing!

Of course you would have to exercise some of your wit to condense that theme into a impactful title!!!

• Hollace Vaughan

03/28/2020 07:18 PM

I think the President looks healthier than I’ve seen him in a while. I think he is in his element dealing with all the problem solving required to address concerns. He also seems more alive to me. And maybe a bit more mature. I think we have all grown up a bit during this time.

• Lawrence Foster

03/28/2020 07:17 PM

Cass Sunstein, former Obama administration official is now saying we need to handle the COVID-19 pandemic like Trump initially said, which at that time Sunstein derided as "indicative of a brain defect.

If you wonder why the dems are so big on legalizing pot all over the US, they know Marijuana's effect on memory, and they do not want voters remembering what they said six months (or six weeks) ago. Those of us who are not potheads realize the dems have no idea where they are, where they are going, or how they will get there, but they are still convinced they are smarter than the rest of us and therefore should be in charge.

• Anne Knowlton

03/28/2020 07:08 PM

I fully believe that our all-knowing Heavenly Father allowed Donald Trump to win the presidency because He knew America would be faced with this pandemic. PTL!

• Stephen Russell

03/28/2020 07:02 PM

Honoring Sen Coburn:
    Fiscal Policy Center
    School
    Business School
    Hwy, Frwy, Blvd, St, Ave, Ct, Rd,
    Policy Center on Waste?
    Econ wing at some college.
    For OK area.

• Anne-Marie Dale

03/28/2020 06:57 PM

I thank God every day for Trump being our President, and NOT the ones with the brain-defect for sure. His speedy stop to travel from China, I am sure has saved many lives. He is one man, cannot do it all, but he sure seems to be able to do a lot more than ANYONE I ever heard of. The Democrats have done nothing to help, nothing, but as always obstruct/criticize. Then naturally when it came to helping all, suffering in one way or other from this, just like Imanuel said, DON’T LET A TRAGEDY GO TO WASTE! Money for the Kennedy Library, tried with Planned Parenthood, etc Money people desperately need ASAP, Pelosi stopped it, NOT ONE THOUGHT about her fellow citizens. I am soooo disgusted, nothing new with that crowd, Democrats to the core.

Evening Edition - March 28

• DonaldEndicott Endicott

03/28/2020 09:55 PM

• William Schlumpf

03/28/2020 09:04 PM

• Richard J Hertel

03/28/2020 08:33 PM

Mike, can you let us know what "Mr P"s diet and and favorite drink is?

• Toni

03/28/2020 08:30 PM

• Michael Murphy

03/28/2020 08:03 PM

• Diane Moore

03/28/2020 07:47 PM

• Robbie Mize

03/28/2020 07:45 PM

• Linda Lennartz

03/28/2020 07:43 PM

• Nelda White

03/28/2020 07:40 PM

• James Drury Jr

03/28/2020 07:33 PM

Thanks Mike and your people!

• Dennis R. Huckabee

03/28/2020 07:21 PM

• Debbie W

03/28/2020 07:19 PM

• Kay DeWitt

03/28/2020 07:19 PM

The theme of your book would reecho the theme of your newsletters...that..

• Hollace Vaughan

03/28/2020 07:18 PM

• Lawrence Foster

03/28/2020 07:17 PM

• Anne Knowlton

03/28/2020 07:08 PM

• Stephen Russell

03/28/2020 07:02 PM

Honoring Sen Coburn:
    Fiscal Policy Center
    School
    Business School
    Hwy, Frwy, Blvd, St, Ave, Ct, Rd,
    Policy Center on Waste?
    Econ wing at some college.
    For OK area.

• DonaldEndicott Endicott

03/28/2020 09:55 PM

• William Schlumpf

03/28/2020 09:04 PM

• Richard J Hertel

03/28/2020 08:33 PM

Mike, can you let us know what "Mr P"s diet and and favorite drink is?

• Toni

03/28/2020 08:30 PM

• Michael Murphy

03/28/2020 08:03 PM

• Diane Moore

03/28/2020 07:47 PM

• Robbie Mize

03/28/2020 07:45 PM

• Linda Lennartz

03/28/2020 07:43 PM

• Nelda White

03/28/2020 07:40 PM

• James Drury Jr

03/28/2020 07:33 PM

Thanks Mike and your people!

• Dennis R. Huckabee

03/28/2020 07:21 PM

• Debbie W

03/28/2020 07:19 PM

• Kay DeWitt

03/28/2020 07:19 PM

The theme of your book would reecho the theme of your newsletters...that..

• Hollace Vaughan

03/28/2020 07:18 PM

• Lawrence Foster

03/28/2020 07:17 PM

• Anne Knowlton

03/28/2020 07:08 PM

• Stephen Russell

03/28/2020 07:02 PM

Honoring Sen Coburn:
    Fiscal Policy Center
    School
    Business School
    Hwy, Frwy, Blvd, St, Ave, Ct, Rd,
    Policy Center on Waste?
    Econ wing at some college.
    For OK area.