We’ve had so many reader comments on the Senate trial, it will take days to go through them. Thanks so much to all who are writing. Most everyone is expressing the same disgust I feel while trying to watch this, or at least some of it. Others aren’t watching at all, as they know it will just make them furious. But here’s a particularly moving letter from someone who just feels heartbroken.

From Lindsay (with slight editing):

Mike,

...I was born and raised in Arkansas and am a great fan of yours. I now live in Texas.

Actually, yes, I am watching. And how do I feel? Heartbroken. It is so obvious what they have been trying to do to this man since the beginning. They hate him and they want him out! Hatred is a powerful emotion, and the more you don’t deal with it the more it stirs up. It’s like a cancer you ignore.

I don’t want to use the term “witch hunt,” but that truly is what it is. The thing that really gets to me is the power they have. Seeing [Pelosi] gloat all over TV about Trump’s forever title “impeached” shows the truth of her heart. It speaks volumes of what her motive was from the beginning.

Our country needed Trump. We still need him...and my husband, Steve, and I are 100% behind him. I pray for him every day and pray that the hatred will leave these people’s hearts. Although this is the type of heart-issue [for which] the individual has to stop and look inside. So I don’t hold out a lot of hope. All I can do is pay and give my support.

Much love to you and your tremendous family. We love Sarah. She is meant for greatness!

Trump Train 2020,

Lindsey

From the Gov:

Thanks so much for writing, Lindsay. Incidentally, did you mean to type “pay” or “pray”? It seems we can do both: definitely pray, but also give to campaigns that might make a difference in November. The best thing we can do to make a difference is show what these people have been up to and defeat them at the polls. We would never have had this sad circus if the Democrats hadn’t re-taken Congress in 2018. We’re not likely to see a wholesale change of heart among them, so they must be stopped at the ballot box!

=---------------------

Prepare to put on your shocked face: Turns out most Americans are finding better things to do with their time than watch eight hours a day of House Democrats repeating the same lies about their impeachment “evidence” over and over again in the Senate.

Despite being carried on 10 broadcast and cable networks, day one of the opening statements pulled only 8.9 million viewers, their total audience just about equaling the number of viewers who watched “The Voice” on NBC (And let me point out, that was day one. By day three, I could easily imagine the number being 89 viewers.) By contrast, the Kavanaugh hearings drew 20 million, and Robert Mueller embarrassing himself in front of Congress drew 13 million and was considered a ratings flop.

I can only assume that the Democrats’ strategy is to bore Americans so much that by the time Trump’s attorneys present their defense, nobody will be watching at all.

-----------------------------

Must-See Video: At a campaign event that's being described as Sen. Elizabeth Warren's "Joe The Plumber" moment (you kids Google it), a father confronted Warren about her plan to spend $1.6 trillion in tax money to pay off everyone’s student loans. He told her that he worked double shifts and saved to put his daughter through college without taking out any loans, so will he get his money back? Warren replies, “Of course not.” Dad: “So you want to help those who don't save any money, and the ones that do the right thing get s*****d?”

Watch to see her response (or lack of response.) So far, millions of people have watched it online.

It is an excellent question: why should the government pay the college costs of people who took out loans they couldn’t repay, but not reimburse those who worked hard to pay for college without taking out loans? Even more infuriating: image killing yourself to work your way through college, then getting a big tax bill to pay for someone else who just borrowed the money. Or being too poor to go to college, so you went straight to work, and now your paycheck will be docked to pay off your boss’s kids student loans to attend Brown or Yale.

For people who talk about “fairness” so much, I don’t think liberals quite understand what it means. Frankly, I wish they’d just come up with some way to give me back all the time I had to spend watching Democratic debates

-----------------------------------

We’re sad to report that journalist Jim Lehrer died peacefully in his sleep at 85, after years of heart problems, and we extend our prayers and sympathies to his wife Kate and his family. As co-host of PBS’ “The McNeil-Lehrer Report” and later host of “NewsHour,” Lehrer presided over the kind of sober, in-depth reporting that’s seldom seen these days. This link has more details about his very long and fascinating career.

If you want to see a stunning illustration of how far the profession of journalism has fallen since Lehrer entered it, check out this link to a list he wrote called “Jim Lehrer’s Rules of Journalism” and see if there are any of them that are still being practiced at most major media outlets these days.

------------------------

For CNN’s sake, I suppose I should point out that this is a satirical story, even though it contains a much higher percentage of verifiable facts than most CNN stories. (If I worked for CNN, I’d just make up a number and say “It’s fake, but still 97% more accurate than CNN.”)

------------------------------------------

Twitter Exchange of the Day: CNN’s Chris Cuomo slammed Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin for suggesting that teen climate radical Greta Thunberg study economics. Cuomo tweeted, “Why do these trumpers think it is ok to go at a kid?“ Perfectly teeing up Sean Davis of the Federalist to reply, “Didn't your garbage network just settle a nine-figure lawsuit for defaming a Catholic child at a pro-life march?” Touché!

---------------------------------

Great news: you don't have to suffer through weeks of Senate impeachment proceedings! I have a video that sums up the Democrats' case, their managers, and the inevitable verdict in less than 45 seconds. You're welcome, America!

In case you missed it:

Rep. and Democratic Presidential candidate Tulsi Gabbard has filed a defamation lawsuit against Hillary Clinton. Gabbard claims that Hillary harmed her campaign and American democracy by “publicly, unambiguously, and with obvious malicious intent” asserting that she’s being groomed by the Russians to launch a third-party campaign and help reelect President Trump. Her campaign sent Clinton a letter threatening a lawsuit and demanding an apology and retraction, which Hillary ignored. Gabbard is now seeking damages and an injunction to prevent the media from continuing to repeat Clinton’s false accusation.

Gabbard’s lawsuit says she is running for the Presidency, “a position Clinton has long coveted, but has not been able to attain,” and her lawsuit “seeks to hold Clinton, and the political elites who enable her, accountable for distorting the truth…” Clinton’s spokesman responded that the lawsuit is “ridiculous.”

He’s right: I can think of nothing more ridiculous than trying to hold Hillary Clinton and her enablers accountable for anything.

• WILLIAM Jakovac

01/26/2020 09:57 AM

On the section of CNN’s percentage: I think I have the correct ratio: It’s being 97% correct, 3% of the time.

Another quick quote “Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no matter how wrong they are.”

• Joan Logan

01/25/2020 05:55 PM

I haven't watched one minute of the Impeachment proceedings, as it would be a waste of my time. Such a witch hunt! And a terrible waste of all the taxpayers' money. What have we come to in this country?

• Judy Radley

01/25/2020 03:05 PM

I feel that father's frustration too. I had to take out student loan, and I paid them all off, it took years as my husband and I went through tough times as he got laid off due to NYS jobs being sent out of NY, due to too high of cost to do business in NY, thanks to Mario Cuomo and just as bad now his son, Andrew. But I finally got them all paid off. My husband and I can only afford to live in a used mobile home, but at least it's paid for, no more mortgage to pay, and since we live in a mobile home, that is not on a basement, it is considered 'temporary' so our property taxes are lower. But still we do have a home paid for. It doesn't look custom designed or anything, but it keeps the weather out and we heat with our wood stove along with furnace. My husband will be retiring within the next 3 years, and we will be leaving NYS too, just like so many others who are fed up with this state's communist socialist ruled by one party, the socialist liberals. We will be moving to a conservative run state... any other state is lower in tax burden and regulations too. Thank you for your newsletters, and for being our conservative Christian voice too. Judy of Western NY State near Great Lakes Erie and Ontario.

• Fran Ayars

01/25/2020 01:12 PM

Lehrer had guidelines that none of the Media follow all of them today. It is a surprise when they follow even a few of them.
    I am supporting Tulis Gabbard in her suit against Hillary. She deserves it and I hope there is no wiggle room for her to get away with it. More people should stand up against the Clintons until something sticks.
    I loved the settlement for the Catholic kid who had restraint and dignity to stand his ground. The media tried to sacrifice him and they lost!

• Robin Rebhan

01/25/2020 11:26 AM

All this makes me wonder. Who suffers the most from hatred? The one who is a victim of hatred, who suffers the bruises or the possessor of hate who suffers the constant internal bitterness of hatred?
    I cannot imagine waking up every morning with so much hate as the Democrats have for the President. Hatred that seems to come right from the pages of Homer's " Iliad ".
    If the Democrats ever turned off the limelight that is blinding them, they might see the empty seats in the audience. Then again, " none are so blind as they who refuse to see and none so deaf as they who refuse to hear ".

• Victor Schultz

01/25/2020 10:33 AM

Mike,
    I’m not sure Tulsi Gabbard should feel safe filing a law suit against the Clinton machine. I used to live in AR and am quite familiar with “Arkansas suicides”. Think my fears are unfounded?

• Phyllis Beasley

01/25/2020 09:39 AM

I put your newsletter in my contacts (address book), BUT MICROSOFT STILL SENDS SOME OF YOUR LETTERS TO “JUNK” MAIL. I retrieved this one from Junk mail. It really frustrates me.

• Vickie Fiorentino

01/25/2020 09:27 AM

I am with one of your other readers & his comment: Isn't lying to congress a jailable offense? Shifty is doing that every day!

• Carol Bernice Cordier

01/25/2020 09:25 AM

Mike I love your analysis of what is going on in our country and how you always bring FACTUAL statistics and information to our reading. I have been supporting Trump from the very beginning because he is the REPUBLICAN President who has the balls to disrupt politicians way of thinking and operating. I find all of his hard work for Our Country to be beneficial to OUR COUNTRY! I have been a little angry when I got notice that my membership expired and "they wanted more money". I am give constantly as best I can. I just had an unexpected stint in 2 hospitals due to internal bleeding. My heart bleeds for our country as well. I raised 3 daughters with the philosophy of being firm but fair. I feel Donald Trump is similar. The economy is booming, unemployment is at an all time low, etc. etc, etc. As I use to say whenever we get "stacks of requests" for donations all over the place, I can't save the World. Right now Trump and the Veterans have our attention 100%.
    I could go on and on because this whole "Crying like a baby" attitude by the Democrats since the election is so very frustrating to me. I equate it to a child throwing a tantrum when they don't get their way!!! Thank you for letting me vent!!

• Carol Bernice Cordier

01/25/2020 09:21 AM

• Carol Fraser

01/25/2020 08:45 AM

Wrong, Mike. I WILL watch as the Republicans present their information. Absolutely! We already heard the DAMNocRATS multiple versions and multiple times.

• Emily Yeatts

01/25/2020 08:42 AM

When is this going to end why can’t something be done about schiff I agree with your reader and you it’s pay and pray I also agree with you with the loss of congress but I want to add if we didn’t have the retirement of 45 congressmen we would not have loss the house makes you think and why did other republicans leave and now gates is considering leaving

• Jerry

01/25/2020 08:17 AM

I have ranted about the nonstop anti America rhotic the Media tortures good Americans every day with dooms day reporting People i hope dodge most of the garbage it sends out if TV watching is part of your day I believe watching reruns of Mash or Everybody love Raymond you get the picture will lighten your mood having to endure People like Schiff, Nadler is toxic for your mental well being someone should investigate if this is a type of torture like the mystery of the Cuban sounds put into the rooms to cause mental stress people that have to listen to these buffoons should have to seek treatment for mental illness they are a hazard to normal thinking. Mike after these Farce hearings of Impeachment take my advice you will not come out the same man as you went in I know you are stronger mentally than these mental midgets just a precaution a mind is a terrible thing to waste on these buffoons.

• Jerry Korba

01/25/2020 07:51 AM

Yikes So many disasters to look at The people mentioned in your letter Warren Cuomo Schiff and the Left Managers talking about our President as he should be tared and feathered. I have mentioned many times let these lunatics keep talking like a kid throwing a rock in a lake the ripple last for a short time and the lake becomes calm again until the next stone is thrown the effect wears off after 10 minutes the Left makes an fictional statement and they get a reaction of how ignorant and you dismiss it after outrage the effect last for a moment all you remember is what a liar and that sticks just like the kid throwing a stone in the lake it remembers the time. People take note at who or what they can trust and the Left is not trustworthy.

• Norman f Meullen

01/25/2020 07:40 AM

Governor, Pointing out the obvious. Isn't what Clinton is doing to Ms. Gabbard EXACTLY what she, Ms. Gabbard, and the other Democrats have been doing to our President for the last three years plus! Seems Ms. Gabbard is perfectly fine making up and supporting lies about him. How does it feel when they turn on you, Rep. Gabbard?

• Kay DeWitt

01/25/2020 05:33 AM

On the chance that Lindsey just might read this comment, I just want to thank you, Mike, for sharing her comment to you in this newsletter message because it so blessed me to "hear" someone express that they felt heartbroken when watching this impeachment trial because that is how I feel ....and for the very same REASON Lindsey expressed.....which is the Democrats' HATRED for President Trump which they are masquerading as their LOVE for the Constitution!

FOR this reason, when you asked us to write comments about what we think of this impeachment trial, my first spontaneous response was "I don't CARE if President Trump is innocent OR guilty because, for ME, this impeachment trial is not ABOUT President TRUMP'S sin!". However, while what I wrote in my comment did, ultimately EXPRESS that, I did NOT make my opening statement that I did not CARE if President Trump were innocent, or guilty, lest a Christian, who has the same mindset of "Christianity Today", would accuse me of being a contradiction TO my claim to be a Christian!

You see, AS a Christian, I DO care if President Trump is guilty of the "sin" the Democrats are accusing him of but I care, not because I HATE him, but because I LOVE him...with Christ's brand of love...and since, by definition, His love is "the desire for the loved one's ultimate best", His brand of love DOES care if the loved one IS guilty of sin because one cannot sin and not know the consequence OF sin...which robs the loved one OF what is in the interest OF his ultimate best..... WHICH IS A FAR CRY FROM THE DEMOCRATS' HATRED FOR PRESIDENT TRUMP THAT not only doesn't desire their President's ultimate best, but only desires that he be destroyed!

Mike, in response to Lindsey, you stated : "The best thing we can do to make a difference is show what these people have been up to and defeat them at the polls".....I agree with you that....when it comes to winning the "political" battle the best thing we can do is TO defeat them at the polls ....HOWEVER...that will do nothing....MAKE no difference....in winning the "spiritual" war that has only as its end product this "political" battle .....

AND YOU CONFIRM THAT THE SPIRITUAL WARFARE IS NOT GOING TO BE DEFEATED AT THE POLLS WHEN YOU GO ON AND STATE:"We would never have had this sad circus if the Democrats hadn’t re-taken Congress in 2018. We’re not likely to see a wholesale CHANGE OF HEART among them, so they must be stopped at the ballot box! "

And BECAUSE there IS going to be no change of HEART on the part of the Democrats ....whether they win, or lose....AMERICA WILL STILL BE IN...to quote YOUR words in the forward you wrote to the book, "God and Donald Trump", by Stephen Strang......" A HISTORIC BATTLE NOT ONLY FOR ITS POLITICAL FUTURE BUT ALSO FOR ITS VERY SOUL"........which is WHY...

Even SHOULD Republicans defeat the Democrats at the ballot box, Christians must still take a stand for the laws of almighty God that are being violated and COSTING America its very soul...and the souls of its kids! Maybe someone needs to make a YouTube video of a morgue the next time we have a school shooting and have the American public LOOK UPON the FACE (faces) OF America's LOST SOUL (souls) !!!

• Nancy A. North-Gates

01/25/2020 01:05 AM

I live in one of the largest by size but smallest by population counties in California - the reddest one in fact. 78% of our voters voted for Trump. I really resent this group trying to overthrow our election. Presidents I did not like got elected and we just lived through the 4 or 8 years until the next one. People need to get over themselves.

• Robert E Wellston

01/25/2020 01:04 AM

I sincerely hope that all of the people leaving the ultra liberal confines of New York, New Jersey, Illinois, and California are leaving any real liberal ideas back in those states. If they want to tax their states into oblivion, that's their right, just try to force it down other people's throats. We are just fine with low taxes, low crime rates and our right to bear arms without Mikey Bloomberg and the like changing what we have and want to keep. I always find it fascinating how these rich dudes are always trying to tell those of us working for a living how we should support them and their nut ball ideas. They sue didn't get rich through their screwball ideas.

• Beverly Nolan

01/25/2020 12:39 AM

My husband is watching some of the Schiff charade. I'm glad I didn't walk through at the time Nadler was degrading our President because it truly would have taken what little restraint I have left to keep from using that TV for target practice.
    We currently have two grandsons going to college. One, who himself wants to become a teacher, called yesterday and told his mother he wants to quit and just come home and get a job. He has an "instructor", that is from another country, whose daily diatribe focuses on degrading ours. My Grandson does not want to be associated with a profession that has become so radicalized that it would deliberately contribute to make this great Country of ours fail. We have Democrats for that.

• Linda Black

01/25/2020 12:38 AM

It Is a point of confusion to me how certain people, in this case Hillary Clinton and add her husband, are never held accountable. Others like General Flynn are vilified and destroyed for one thing that pales by comparison to the many verifiable crimes committed by both Clintons. Is there a secret committee of government and media types who decide who is to be canonized and who is to be crucified?

• Kimberly Mincer

01/24/2020 10:36 PM

As a US American i am ashamed of our democrats in Congress. I strongly believe that Donald Trump foiled there plot to takeover our government. THAT is why they're doing this. This is the ultimate betrayal of their oath. Power is ALL they care about.

• Robert Hassler

01/24/2020 10:00 PM

I would rather not see at the beginning of your news letters the pictures of Schiff or Pelosi. It makes my stomach sick. I would go with your picture every time. You provide hope.

• Mike Graham

01/24/2020 09:53 PM

Governor
    I wonder if we should start an "office pool"....once the senate finds President Trump not guilty of the impeachment charges, how long until the house starts another impeachment hearing with newly discovered offenses.

• Pat Tebo

01/24/2020 09:51 PM

Your readers might get a bit of relief from all this dark comedy if they watch the Victor Borge clip which immediately follows that entertaining one which you commended to us.

• Shirley Summers

01/24/2020 09:45 PM

I am so sorry for our President. He just keeps going. God has to be behind him for President Trump to keep on going. i pray that God will put a hedge around him & protect him from all his enemies. We know that he has a lot. Thank you Gov. Huckabee for speaking the truth and keeping us informed.

From Lindsay (with slight editing):