May 15, 2017

I tweeted about this story several days ago in hopes it would stir up some media attention and public outrage, but it was largely ignored, even though it about 10,000 times more outrageous than the long-overdue firing of James Comey. A federal court ruled this week that the firing of the woman in charge of the Phoenix VA clinic that was at the heart of the waiting list death scandal was unconstitutional. She could even appeal to be rehired now.

She wasn’t even fired because veterans were kept waiting for medical care until they died, or for allegedly falsifying records to cover it up. She was fired after being convicted of accepting thousands of dollars in undeclared gifts from a lobbyist and sentenced to two years’ probation. First, a court ruled that she could keep over $9000 in bonuses she got from taxpayers during that time, and now, her later firing has been ruled unconstitutional. You’ll have to follow the link to see the reasoning. Although frankly, I’ve read the ruling and the Constitution (many times) and somehow missed the part that says incompetent, criminal federal workers can’t be fired. I can’t imagine the Founders even thinking that should be inferred from the Constitution.

This past week, some leaders of the public employees union were calling for stronger protections for federal workers who fear being fired by political officer holders (like the guy Americans sent to Washington partly because they wanted him to say, “You’re fired” a few thousand times.) Is there any other industry in the world where you can literally have people die on your watch, lie to cover it up, and still keep your job and get a bonus? (Or run for President?) If James Comey and this woman can’t be fired, then who in blazes CAN be?

It is time for Congress to enact serious reform of government union contracts, but not to make it harder to fire people. In the real world, there’s a word for such firings that currently doesn’t exist inside the government bubble: “accountability.”

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT BELOW.  I READ THEM!

• Sue Rekart

05/15/2017 06:56 PM

Yes, the unions are a big problem. They tie the hands of those in charge who cannot make common sense decisions. One of the reasons I voted for Pres. Trump was because of his stand on the VA situation. It is a disaster. Many MORE people need to be fired for incompetence. The poor Viet Nam vets got the shaft and there have been many more coming back from middle east conflicts since then. Drain the Swamp!!!

• Robin Cashio

05/15/2017 06:55 PM

That's crazy! As far as I'm concerned she committed murder and has no rights! Of course, the media won't say anything. So the union wants to protect murderers! What else is new?!!

• Mary Baker

05/15/2017 06:50 PM

if you are in the military for 27 years and retire you can draw retirement right away but if you are national guard and have been deployed 5 times and retire after 27 years why do you have to wait until you are 60 years old to draw retirement

• Chris Fithian

05/15/2017 06:42 PM

I couldn't agree more. The MSM need to actually start reporting news rather than lies and innuendo while ignoring stories that really matter.

• Linda Herlehy

05/15/2017 06:28 PM

I am married to a 70 year old Marine Corp veteran who is just now applying for VA benefits. This information is frightening to me. To me this is the need to bring law and order back to this country. Since the draft was eliminated, individuals in this country seem to not care anymore about the military or its veterans. What has happened to "morals" in this country?

• Kristin Morrill

05/15/2017 06:26 PM

Huck I love you and all you do! I am appalled at the way our Vets are treated. My hub is a Vietnam Vet w/PTSD and he is lucky he gets treatment!

• Nancy Murphy

05/15/2017 06:21 PM

Thank you, Mike, for continuing to be a voice of reason in a world gone mad! It's unbelievable the amount of corruption and insanity going on in our government. We need more voices of truth, like you. Sometimes it feels like "we the people" are not heard or listened to, so it's reassuring to know that men like you are in positions of influence.
    Keep sounding the alarm and speaking the truth. God bless you.

• JIM P. WILLIAMS

05/15/2017 06:19 PM

The USA has been rendered gray by political correctness. There is no night and day, black and white, right and wrong anymore. The PC Police would have us all believe this nonsense despite a mountain of evidence to the contrary. If opposed, they shout "Racist", "Fascist", "Bigot" etc. at their adversaries and create impenetrable messes to dissuade while they hastily retreat to the gray areas. This VA employee's behavior is egregious if true and indefensible at best! Keep up the good work.

• Gale Smith

05/15/2017 06:18 PM

I have never understood how and incompetent person, who doesn't do there job cannot be fired. I was a federal employee and if you said anything about a person who was not doing there job, you got in trouble and reprimanded.

• Sharon Brittomn

05/15/2017 06:17 PM

How can she lie her head down at night knowing she let veterans suffer or die? Fired? She should be jailed. I have plenty of experience with the VA due to my father using their care for years and finally going private after we advised it. He loved and trusted the VA because he thought they cared and enjoyed the company of other veterans. They would have let him die 14 years ago if we had not gone to a private doctor.

• sheila Wolverton

05/15/2017 05:58 PM

Who ever decided that union government positions could not be fired?? It's like if you are lucky enough to secure a government job, you will never lose it and you will have a great pension no matter how bad you are at the job. This has got to be changed, no one is indespensible and no one should keep their job when they lie, cheat and treat people with disdain as these people working at V.A.'s have done. If you ask me, these people that want stronger protections are lazy, unqualified and should be kicked out asap. In any organization or company, if you don't live up to the job, you're out the door. The government has become the largest employment agency in this country. Obama hired 22,000 government employees, they are becoming the rulers in this country. They expect something for nothing and that's exactly what we get, NOTHING. It's shameful.

• Linda Turner

05/15/2017 05:52 PM

Hi Mr. Huckabee,
    This article is very disturbing like most of the things going on in our nation.
    The problems facing this nation are spiritual problems. Those who do not know God have been fighting the ones who do for many, many, many years.
    What we are seeing now is the trickle down effect that has taken many years to show up in full force.
    Many Christians (I often wonder just how many are really true Christians) refuse to stand up for what is right and we must ask ourselves why? God has given us all the courage we need but we either do not believe him or we think someone else is going to do our bidding. We can see where that has gotten us?
    I do believe in His power and he has given us a President who is doing all he can, but yes, it is going to take all of us to turn things around in this country.
    I do not want to think or even accept that we just might be over the edge and too far gone but the country is so divided.
    This story is just one example of how much our government has failed us and our people. The government has grown to a size that is unmanageable. Less government is always best.
    What do you think we should do? Contacting elected officials does not always produce results. My Congressman from my district is wonderful so I am very blessed. He fights for us on a daily basis and always tries to do what is right. In that, I am very blessed.
    I hope a civil war is not on the horizon but I am beginning to believe Jefferson.
    Thank you so much for always being out there, sharing truth that so many fail to do.
    I appreciate you very much.
    Sincerely, Linda Turner

• Nancy crichton

05/15/2017 05:52 PM

You are right. In the public sector anyone can be fired for any reason or no reason, period! This is crazy.

• LaDonna Perry

05/15/2017 05:49 PM

People should and need to be held accountable!

• Ms. Danell Sweisberger

05/15/2017 05:45 PM

Accountability is not just a word not found in most of our Governmental people but it has overflowed to the streets of America..I'm 72 years old and I still can't believe what people are becoming..and its not just people it is even infecting family members who should be thicker than blood but are so self serving they believe they are the ones who count and be damned to anyone who would dare think differently than them..With prayers from the believers and using Trump with his heart to turn America around we could still be "One Nation together under God"

• Roberta Irvin

05/15/2017 05:40 PM

Accountability is necessary for all of us to get things done
    I read your commentaries all the time. I trust what you have to say and am glad to receive them in my email. I began to get to know you when you were on fox and always liked your ideas and comments about things currently happening.
    Please keep us updated.

• Helen Efola Hadden

05/15/2017 05:35 PM

President Trump should clean house at the VA. Before I retired, my job was to get doctors to sign orders so that Medicare would pay. The VA was the worst to deal with. This woman should be made to pay back every cent and never be aloud to work there again.

• Betty Helland

05/15/2017 05:33 PM

I agree 100% what you asked.
    Keep draining the swamp President Trump.

• Josie Walker

05/15/2017 05:31 PM

I'm a vet. VA needs to be drain the swamp. Miltary should run the VA. She needs be held accountable and return tax payers money. Get rid of all slow and bad help in the VA . I went too the VA appointment and those clerks made me feel that they were better than us vets. I told him that my tax dollars pay his paycheck. He was not so rude then. He made sound that VA was doing us a favor . I told him my service and taxes pay for it.

• christine giannini

05/15/2017 05:30 PM

Hmm, are incompetent and criminal a part of her job description and function? If not she is beyond the scope of her assigned duties. Can her ass.

• Matthew H Almour

05/15/2017 05:29 PM

Mike, it is sickening what is going on in our country right now. I literally sit back and am in awe of the sheer outrageous nature of the actions that the liberals are getting away with. I realize this story is in regards to a government employee, but let's be realistic, most are liberals and feel entitled to their slice of the pie. My true feelings cannot be typed in words that are fit to print, but nevertheless, I agree with you on most of your opinions and was hoping you would run this past cycle.

• Lynnette Lyttle

05/15/2017 05:28 PM

Stories like this just make me so angry -they're almost unbelievable. I wish you were president.

• Rhonda Ward

05/15/2017 05:27 PM

This is so wrong. My brother is a veteran and goes through the VA for his medical care. The things he has been through with all of the buracacy and even incompetence is unbelievable. Yet he has also tried Veterans Choice and that, again, is an insane process. The veterans are at the mercy of governmental bureaucracy. It is sad.

• Rhonda Ward

05/15/2017 05:26 PM

• Pam Wood

05/15/2017 05:25 PM

The government should be run similar to a business. Not only should a government employee be able to be "easily" fired, government employees should all pay for their own benefits. And those benes should stop when they leave their job! No special exemptions for them!

• Shelby ~Lyn Lawton

05/15/2017 05:19 PM

Mr. Mike Huckabee I totally agree with everything that you have written in this article since when cannot these people be fired and since when do they get to keep $9,000 ,in bonuses..??? It's appalling , flat out appalling , and the other thing I always wanted to know is why do government workers need a Union..? They don't need a Union. All of these bylaws and all those things that Congress and all these government entities have created for themselves is to keep them from being accountable it's to keep them from being fired ...it's to keep them from having to answer to the public that they are supposed to be serving. They are serving THEMSELVES. NOT our country,nor it's citizens. I also want to know since when is it ok for Congress to vote itself pay raises and everything else I'm sorry for not doing your job you don't get one just like in the private sector and yes you should be fired if you can't do your job,... and term limits should have been enacted 30 years ago to keep these people from living off the taxpayers forever and ever. NO ONE IN THE GOVERNMENT should be allowed to take the Fifth Amendment. That means ZERO accountability and zero integrity,because they know that they can plead the Fifth. All we need do is look at the Lois Lerner debacle ..; all these people just get to skate away...NO ONE HELD ACCOUNTABLE. STILL GETS HET PENSION. TOTALLY WRONG ON EVERY LEVEL.
    I do appreciate all you do, Govenor Huckabee, and this country needs you and more men like you who will stand up for what is Truth , what is right. Thank you , God keep you in His care.
    Miss Shelby-Lyn Lawton
    Lambs Grove Iowa

• Shelby ~Lyn Lawton

05/15/2017 05:18 PM

Miss Shelby-Lyn Lawton
    Lambs Grove Iowa

• Ellen Robertson

05/15/2017 05:16 PM

That is outrageous! She should have been fired for incompetence ! And not be able to get her job back!! This Country is upside down !

• Christy Anne Vaughan

05/15/2017 05:15 PM

You tell 'em Gov. ! Anybody else would have been banned, canned and made to pay restitution. Ridiculous!

• Larry Wilson

05/15/2017 05:07 PM

Thank you for your efforts and your insightful comments. I am a Navy Submarine Veteran of Viet Nam and have been going to the VA for a long time now here in AZ. This action (or lack of) is unconscionable! While I recognize the need to change the rules/laws regarding firing of "union" employees, I (and many like me) feel totally frustrated that we can do nothing to force this.

So, while Congress and our politicians continue to pander to the Veteran about how they are going to make "sweeping" changes to the VA system.....nothing has changed!

Very unsatisfactory.

Larry Wilson

May 15, 2017

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT BELOW.  I READ THEM!

• Sue Rekart

05/15/2017 06:56 PM

• Robin Cashio

05/15/2017 06:55 PM

• Mary Baker

05/15/2017 06:50 PM

• Chris Fithian

05/15/2017 06:42 PM

• Linda Herlehy

05/15/2017 06:28 PM

• Kristin Morrill

05/15/2017 06:26 PM

• Nancy Murphy

05/15/2017 06:21 PM

Keep sounding the alarm and speaking the truth. God bless you.

• JIM P. WILLIAMS

05/15/2017 06:19 PM

• Gale Smith

05/15/2017 06:18 PM

• Sharon Brittomn

05/15/2017 06:17 PM

• sheila Wolverton

05/15/2017 05:58 PM

• Linda Turner

05/15/2017 05:52 PM

Hi Mr. Huckabee,
    This article is very disturbing like most of the things going on in our nation.
    I appreciate you very much.
    Sincerely, Linda Turner

• Nancy crichton

05/15/2017 05:52 PM

• LaDonna Perry

05/15/2017 05:49 PM

People should and need to be held accountable!

• Ms. Danell Sweisberger

05/15/2017 05:45 PM

• Roberta Irvin

05/15/2017 05:40 PM

Accountability is necessary for all of us to get things done
    Please keep us updated.

• Helen Efola Hadden

05/15/2017 05:35 PM

• Betty Helland

05/15/2017 05:33 PM

I agree 100% what you asked.
    Keep draining the swamp President Trump.

• Josie Walker